Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Gintonious wrote: »
    So Williams and McLaren are not following through with the protest towards RP...Merc having a few words with them I wonder?

One current and one future Mercedes customer, someone pulled a metaphorical gun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

One current and one future Mercedes customer, someone pulled a metaphorical gun

That leaves Ferrari, Renault, Haas, Alfa Romeo, RB and AT to do something, if they even decide to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So Williams and McLaren are not following through with the protest towards RP...Merc having a few words with them I wonder?

Oh dear...sh1t is hitting the fan. This can potentially make "spygate" look like children copying assignments.

Williams should be very careful - in the unlikely event a full investigation and penalties will be dished out, most likely in the form of deleted/removed constructor's points, their very survival would be pretty much impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Oh dear...sh1t is hitting the fan. This can potentially make "spygate" look like children copying assignments.

Williams should be very careful - in the unlikely event a full investigation and penalties will be dished out, most likely in the form of deleted/removed constructor's points, their very survival would be pretty much impossible.

What do you mean by that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

How have you implicated Williams in this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Because he's not the worst.

I'd choose him over Stroll/Grosjean/Magnussen/Giovinazzi/Latifi, and he's probably equal to a handful of other drivers.

Stroll and latifi are pay drivers so won't go away, although stroll hinted he might get dropped.
    For the rest. Two Ferrari academy drivers are getting ready. Shwartzman and Illott. Depending on Kimi we might see one at sauber and one at Haas. For Giovanazzi, Ferrari is highly loyal, that's why they kept Massa that long.
    Tsunoda might replace Kyvat, he is 9 points away from the super license. If a team gets for sale, mazepin might buy it for his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

What do you mean by that? :confused:
    mickdw wrote: »
    How have you implicated Williams in this?

Because this is much more of a political struggle about Mercedes influence in F1, rather than where Racing Point finishes on track. In these regards, the fact two customer teams (one current, one prospective) suddenly decided "ah, all fine for us!", is a clear indication that they were pressured into such position by Mercedes. As such, it's an easy leverage for the other teams to use - it can be viewed as Williams/McLaren being aware of suspicious behavior and not reporting it, dragging them into the whole mess.

Most likely not gonna happen (at WORST, RP will lose more points), but worth for them to be a bit careful and "sit this out", for what they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

That leaves Ferrari, Renault, Haas, Alfa Romeo, RB and AT to do something, if they even decide to.

It was interersting that Coulthard on C4 took a very soft approach with his questions with RP. And they then allowed Toto Wolff free rein to suggest have legal action against anyone and everyone, by Stroll, if RP did not get their way. I found his statement very worrying, at the least, perhaps even sinister. It seems the one person linking all these together is Toto himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭vectra

rock22 wrote: »
    It was interersting that Coulthard on C4 took a very soft approach with his questions with RP. And they then allowed Toto Wolff free rein to suggest have legal action against anyone and everyone, by Stroll, if RP did not get their way. I found his statement very worrying, at the least, perhaps even sinister. It seems the one person linking all these together is Toto himself.

Yeah,
    Looks like he is on a mission to wrap all the Merc engined teams around him to protect themselves.

On another note,
    I read a post on Facebook that a friend of a friend that knows someone in the engineering dept. of Red Bull, said that they have "explosive" documentation about Merc's involvement in this.
    Probably hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Absolutely. It's not coincidence. Maybe they can scan (buy) some parts next year if they keep their mouths shut.

It's exactly what it looks like. If Mercedes wasn't involved, why would they stop it's customer teams from protesting another customer team from potentially illegally copying their designs? - designs which cost them time and money to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,270 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Because this is much more of a political struggle about Mercedes influence in F1, rather than where Racing Point finishes on track. In these regards, the fact two customer teams (one current, one prospective) suddenly decided "ah, all fine for us!", is a clear indication that they were pressured into such position by Mercedes. As such, it's an easy leverage for the other teams to use - it can be viewed as Williams/McLaren being aware of suspicious behavior and not reporting it, dragging them into the whole mess.

Most likely not gonna happen (at WORST, RP will lose more points), but worth for them to be a bit careful and "sit this out", for what they can.

Ya i get that much but your comment suggested that williams need to lay low or could have points taken off them as if they too are running merc bits that they should not be.

Williams would have nothing to lose in that situation ad they have no points and already finished last last season and probably this season too.

Williams would have nothing to lose in that situation ad they have no points and already finished last last season and probably this season too.

They could lose their engine supply, god only knows what Wolff said behind closed doors. As well as RP I reckon Mercedes themselves are hiding something. As was already said, there’s a long way to go in this saga

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Far more obvious reason why Williams and McLaren are happy to let Ferrari and Renault continue with the appeal and back down themselves. Money. An appeal like this involves lawyers, they cost money, a LOT of money. Williams are actively looking for investment just to survive, McLaren had to do some major refinancing this year already.

But I suppose it's so much easier to believe Toto Wolff told McLaren and Williams to back down because Mercedes are dirty cheaters and everything needs covering up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree about them finishing last this season. I would say that will either be Alfa Romeo or Haas and William's will finish ahead of both of them.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

skipper_G wrote: »
    Far more obvious reason why Williams and McLaren are happy to let Ferrari and Renault continue with the appeal and back down themselves. Money. An appeal like this involves lawyers, they cost money, a LOT of money. Williams are actively looking for investment just to survive, McLaren had to do some major refinancing this year already.

But I suppose it's so much easier to believe Toto Wolff told McLaren and Williams to back down because Mercedes are dirty cheaters and everything needs covering up :rolleyes:

Mclaren are in the thick of it. They should be clearly ahead of RP this year of not for it being a copy of last year's merc.

If you think it's just coincidence that it's Mercedes+customers against the rest, then you're not being realistic. If it wasn't a deal involving Mercedes then Mercedes would be the first ones to appeal.

I’d certainly hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Mclaren are in the thick of it. They should be clearly ahead of RP this year of not for it being a copy of last year's merc.

If you think it's just coincidence that it's Mercedes+customers against the rest, then you're not being realistic. If it wasn't a deal involving Mercedes then Mercedes would be the first ones to appeal.

Coincidence ? No, I don't think that. I think Mclaren and Williams are happy to let Ferrari and Renault spend the money to proceed with the appeal. It's a win win for them, they voiced their objections, don't have to throw cash at it and maybe end up on the wrong side of an argument from their engine supplier (current or future). Is it political? Absolutely, but it's not some grand Mercedes conspiracy like you're painting it out to be.

skipper_G wrote: »
    Coincidence ? No, I don't think that. I think Mclaren and Williams are happy to let Ferrari and Renault spend the money to proceed with the appeal. It's a win win for them, they voiced their objections, don't have to throw cash at it and maybe end up on the wrong side of an argument from their engine supplier (current or future). Is it political? Absolutely, but it's not some grand Mercedes conspiracy like you're painting it out to be.

Stall the ball. Why would Mercedes have a problem with one of its customers objecting to RP ripping off Merc's design? Unless, of course, Mercedes is part of the deal.

Of course it's a Mercedes conspiracy. Mercedes exerting influence over its customers to not object to another of its customers buying/copying it's design.

It's exactly what it looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It used to be just Ferrari that had influence over its customers (Alfa and Haas). Looks like Mercedes are going for a power play and flexing there muscles. If Ferrari can have a dodgy cheating engine and get away scot free, then why can't RP have dodgy break ducts?

• Advertisement

recyclebin wrote: »
    It used to be just Ferrari that had influence over its customers (Alfa and Haas). Looks like Mercedes are going for a power play and flexing there muscles. If Ferrari can have a dodgy cheating engine and get away scot free, then why can't RP have dodgy break ducts?

Huhh?
    What cheating engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

What do we think about the proposal to ban Qually Mode for engines from Spa in a few of weeks time? I am surprised F1 can do something like that so quickly with no input from the teams. I assume Mercedes would lose the most but all engine manufacturers have a Qually Mode, so everyone will take a step backwards, just some steps will be smaller than others!
    The FIA has notified Formula 1 teams it intends to prevent them using high-performance ‘qualifying modes’ from the next round of the championship.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/13/why-the-fia-told-teams-it-will-ban-quali-modes-after-this-weekends-race/

Inquitus wrote: »
    What do we think about the proposal to ban Qually Mode for engines from Spa in a few of weeks time? I am surprised F1 can do something like that so quickly with no input from the teams.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/13/why-the-fia-told-teams-it-will-ban-quali-modes-after-this-weekends-race/

Good thing to bring teams closer together and is finally what everyone was hoping for to slice a piece out of Mercedes advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

What do we think about the proposal to ban Qually Mode for engines from Spa in a few of weeks time?

If it reduces Merc's advantage then I'm all for it! Red Bull do seem to have a better race pace in comparison, so I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Harika wrote: »
    Good thing to bring teams closer together and is finally what everyone was hoping for to slice a piece out of Mercedes advantage

It's been a part of F1 since forever though, before the Engines were numerically restricted for a season, they used to use a special engine for qualifying only! They also used to put in a new Engine after every session lol!

It's been a part of F1 since forever though, before the Engines were numerically restricted for a season, they used to use a special engine for qualifying only! They also used to put in a new Engine after every session lol!

I remember it well. crazy times :D

How can they do that? FFS I hate how Merc have the advantage they have but banning engine modes that are within the fuel flow rate and all the other nonsense restrictions is just insanely unfair.

How can they do that? FFS I hate how Merc have the advantage they have but banning engine modes that are within the fuel flow rate and all the other nonsense restrictions is just insanely unfair.

Unfair to who?

Yeah burning money in the process, that's why there is now a limit of 3 engines.
    Overall FIA should have intervened far earlier as teams spend lots of money to get qualifying mode going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

They also used to put in a new Engine after every session lol!
    And have a whole spare car. I'm trying to remember, did some teams actually have 2 spare cars at one point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement