Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think Vettel should go, saying that it's a bit of an ignominious departure, to be dumped mid season. If he does go then I hope he's back next year with Racing Point / Aston Martin, and has a chance to see out his career in a happier environment.

The only reason I'd want him to go now is to see who ends up where. Sainz to Ferrari now? Hulk in the McLaren?

If Vettel does go to RP there'd be no room for Hulk which would be a shame.

It depends on how RP is doing its business. This current quick car is based on copying the previous year's Mercedes. It can't do that when there's a new formula in2022. So if they're not already working on the 2022 car then they could.be back to mid table. Worth noting that the RP has been good in practice but hasn't had any good race results yet.

The idea of all the drivers moving mid season is a great idea from the fans perspective. But there's no way the teams would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

It depends on how RP is doing its business. This current quick car is based on copying the previous year's Mercedes. It can't do that when there's a new formula in2022. So if they're not already working on the 2022 car then they could.be back to mid table. Worth noting that the RP has been good in practice but hasn't had any good race results yet.

The idea of all the drivers moving mid season is a great idea from the fans perspective. But there's no way the teams would do it.

It has happened before; Fisi to Ferrari for example. Villeneuve to Renault. Not that either of those moves led to great results.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think Vettel should go, saying that it's a bit of an ignominious departure, to be dumped mid season. If he does go then I hope he's back next year with Racing Point / Aston Martin, and has a chance to see out his career in a happier environment.

The only reason I'd want him to go now is to see who ends up where. Sainz to Ferrari now? Hulk in the McLaren?

If Vettel does go to RP there'd be no room for Hulk which would be a shame.

Vettel > RP
    Sainz > Ferrari
    Hulk > McLaren
    Perez > Alfa
    Kimi will give up all faith in Alfa and walk away.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's not the way it works though. Berger knows better so is presume it's just a throwaway comment from him..
    Vettel must be feeling awful but he has to finish out the season. He's a professional.

Berger has some ties with Ferrari, or at least some history there that he would be listened to. Yes, Vettel is a professional, but Ferrari are possibly not as professional and may call it....they could stick him on gardening leave and put another driver in for the remaining races.

This is an unusual year so I wouldn't be surprised of a seat merry-go-round during the Spa weekend!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

vectra wrote: »
    Vettel > RP
    Sainz > Ferrari
    Hulk > McLaren
    Perez > Alfa
    Kimi will give up all faith in Alfa and walk away.
    :D

As much as I would not mind seeing Nico Hulkenberg in a McLaren I think ye are forgetting about Ricciardo who is going to McLaren next year so more chance of Hulk back at Renault which is not bad either and would make sense as he knows the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

AMKC wrote: »

As much as I would not mind seeing Nico Hulkenberg in a McLaren I think ye are forgetting about Ricciardo who is going to McLaren next year so more chance of Hulk back at Renault which is not bad either and would make sense as he knows the team.

cough cough Alonso cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Vettel will walk if he thinks ferrari are not giving him equal machinery.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Berger has some ties with Ferrari, or at least some history there that he would be listened to. Yes, Vettel is a professional, but Ferrari are possibly not as professional and may call it....they could stick him on gardening leave and put another driver in for the remaining races.

This is an unusual year so I wouldn't be surprised of a seat merry-go-round during the Spa weekend!

I really doubt it. Was berger suggesting Vettel should retire or just walk away from ferrari?

And they would still have to pay Vettel's wages (which are extortionate considering his terrible performance level) if he went on gardening leave. Then they'd have to pay his replacement. Ferrari would probably be delighted if Seb walked away and they didn't have to pay him. Instead they could pay hulk a small fee as it gets him back in the shop window. They could save $20m doing that and probably not lose any driver performance over the season.

Seb hardly wants to just leave. He surely doesn't want to be remembered for shrugging his shoulders and phoning in for his $30m all 2020.

I thought being beaten by Danny Ric over a season was the lowest point in his f1 career. Then I thought throwing away the 2018 championship shot was it, then in 2019 it was failing to beat his teammate in his second season in f1, then it's definitely 2020 (so far). The first half of his career was marked by huge success, the second half is marked by ever greater failure.

mickdw wrote: »
    Vettel will walk if he thinks ferrari are not giving him equal machinery.

He might well walk if that's happening. He'd probably say he thinks that's happening first and then he'd produce some evidence. But since he hasn't even suggested a difference in machinery, why would anyone think he's not getting equal machinery?

Ms

Harika wrote: »
    cough cough Alonso cough cough

A sure they could just let Estaban Ocon go. He is overrated and not doing great anyway.

• Advertisement

A sure they could just let Estaban Ocon go. He is overrated and not doing great anyway.

surprised by Ocon. I thought he was going to be a real contender and I thought he'd at least push Ric, but he hasn't. It's early in his return but he'd need to improve a bit before his return could be viewed as a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Ocon is exactly where I expected him to be. He was on the same level as Perez, meaning he's on the same level as Hulk, i.e. good, but not likely to regularly beat drivers like Ricciardo.

Ocon is exactly where I expected him to be. He was on the same level as Perez, meaning he's on the same level as Hulk, i.e. good, but not likely to regularly beat drivers like Ricciardo.

Yeah that might be fair. Ric beat hulk handily last year (ric 9th on 54, hulk 14th on 37) so that might be around Ocon's level. I presumed Ocon would have potential to develop.

What brings us back to the question, why Hulkenberg? What has he achieved to warrant him staying in F1? The sad answer is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I did indeed forget about Danny.

Yes, Waste of a half decent seat.

I would put Perez, Hulk. & Ocon on the same level.
    What brings us back to the question, why Hulkenberg? What has he achieved to warrant him staying in F1? The sad answer is nothing.

Always said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Bit harsh to judge Ocon against Ricciardo yet. Last few races have been decided by tyre wear. Ricciardo also had a poor race on Sunday. Spun and couldn't look after his tyres.

He cones across as a good lad and I think anyone would support him in this stint covering for Perez. But he's not very good.

He's solid and a good understudy for this COVID period. But you'd struggle to make an argument that he's anything more than average.

Renault have christian lundgaard und Zhou as their junior drivers. Would love to see one of them next year in F1. Too bad they have no second team to park their juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hulkenberg is not going back to Renault. I don't want to see him back in F1 again.

What brings us back to the question, why Hulkenberg?
    Because he's not the worst.

I'd choose him over Stroll/Grosjean/Magnussen/Giovinazzi/Latifi, and he's probably equal to a handful of other drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Renault have christian lundgaard und Zhou as their junior drivers. Would love to see one of them next year in F1. Too bad they have no second team to park their juniors.

Surely some team will want Zhou, given what he would likely bring in terms of Chinese sponsorship and eyeballs. Renault could really do with a b-team, even to help spread the cost of engjne development.

Ms

Surely some team will want Zhou, given what he would likely bring in terms of Chinese sponsorship and eyeballs. Renault could really do with a b-team, even to help spread the cost of engjne development.

Maybe a Dacia F1 team lol or Lada F1 lol. Actually Lada were already in F1 as a sponsor on the Lotus was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Alpine F1 ............techincally a sports car make owned by Renault . Be a good Idea to crowd the midfield with more cars .
    Monaco would just look like an endless train , be hard to tell when a lap started or finished .

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭jv2000

Renault should try to do a deal with Haas, they could be a perfect team for junior drivers and need to get rid of the Ferrari engine. Not sure what their contractual obligations with Ferrari are though, especially if there are performance linked clauses since Ferrari is now seemingly the worst engine on the grid.

Ms

Joeface wrote: »
    Alpine F1 ............techincally a sports car make owned by Renault . Be a good Idea to crowd the midfield with more cars .
    Monaco would just look like an endless train , be hard to tell when a lap started or finished .

I like it. Had just thought of that myself after I had posted that last post.
    jv2000 wrote: »
    Renault should try to do a deal with Haas, they could be a perfect team for junior drivers and need to get rid of the Ferrari engine. Not sure what their contractual obligations with Ferrari are though, especially if there are performance linked clauses since Ferrari is now seemingly the worst engine on the grid.

Or even a deal with Sauber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

So, new chassis for Vettel in Barcelona:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151310/vettel-gets-new-chassis-for-spain-after-fault-found
    "Sebastian will have a new chassis, because after the Silverstone post-race analysis, we spotted a small fault caused by a heavy impact over a kerb," head of chassis engineering Simone Resta explained.

It'll be very interesting to see what that sentence actually means - considering Ferrari's attitude (and in general, that of Italian businesses), I'd be inclined to read it as "we found out we gave him a car that was bent like a banana. It wasn't intentional, but we don't want to admit fault".

Afterall, it IS the same company that still claims Lauda's crash was "driver error".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Because he's not the worst.

I'd choose him over Stroll/Grosjean/Magnussen/Giovinazzi/Latifi, and he's probably equal to a handful of other drivers.
    Grosjean is a much higher calibre of driver than those others you mention. If anybody on the grid deserves a promotion, it's him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

chicorytip wrote: »
    Grosjean is a much higher calibre of driver than those others you mention. If anybody on the grid deserves a promotion, it's him.

Grojean gives 15 crazy fast laps every weekend for the cars ability, then he gets on the radio to his old mate Maldonado and they have the craic.

chicorytip wrote: »

I disagree. Strongly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So Williams and McLaren are not following through with the protest towards RP...Merc having a few words with them I wonder?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement