Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Do you think they just pay them that much because they like giving away money?

If everyone could do it, then it would pay less.

Maybe not everyone can do it, maybe only geniuses can do it, I've no idea.

What I do know is these people didn't go down the mills to get where they are or suffer anything in particular.

What I do know is that these people if they are a particular genius then they were born that way, they did not "go through the mill" to get to where they are.

That was my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Hahahahaha, if you live this lifestyle then you don't post on Boards
    why not? He could be describing me, and I post from Boring hotels, such as the one I’m in at the moment.

smurfjed wrote: »
    why not? He could be describing me, and I post from Boring hotels, such as the one I’m in at the moment.

Similar, when I started in accountancy the people on the dole were on more money than me per week. I now earn more per hour than I did in my first week's pay starting off. I wouldn't say I went through the mill though, I pretty much enjoyed working as a trainee accountant. Lots of camaraderie. The friends I met there are the friends I have kept. I also have a cushy job now, I think the higher up you go the easier it is, but more responsibilities - and you don't have work friends.

But, I post on boards so this is makey uppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

almostover wrote: »
    Would you mind my asking as to how much experience / qualifications you have? In a similar role myself and with performance appraisals coming up next month I'd like to benchmark to see if I'm underpaid or appropriately paid

Degree and 15 years experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

OEP wrote: »
    You save a lot on tax though. I did contracting for a short while, would love to go back

If you are "saving on tax", you are non-compliant. Tax rates are the same for all workers.

• Advertisement

agoodlife wrote: »
    41 year old pilot. I work for a large American company flying one of their corporate jets. Been with them for the last 14 years. I work a week on/week off. Live in Ireland but employer pays for my commuting to and from work.

Basic salary: €146,000
    Bonus: €25,000 (every February)

Usual perks - pension, 6 weeks paid vacation, health insurance etc.

Major downside - I’m away from my family for about 160 nights a year. Hotels get boring pretty fast. But my kids don’t know any better and this is what they are used to. My wife is incredible. I miss plenty of family events. Although, my employers are very good if I need personal time off, I get it without question. Recently my father passed away and I was at home for that. So that’s what’s really important I suppose.

I enjoy my job but could be just as happy doing something else. Money isn’t everything but it takes the sting out of being poor though. Definitely it makes life easier. I’ll do this until I’m 50 and then go part time.

It can be expensive to train as a pilot (maybe €70k plus) but it’s a great investment. There’s a big shortage of experienced pilots, particularly out in the Far East. Pay is good from the beginning and increases quickly when you become a Captain. I’d recommend it.

Like you said, there is a shortage of experienced pilots, however there is no shortage of people who have spent upto 100k on getting trained and can't get a gig as they have no experience or are not suited to the job regardless of how much they spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 goonup

I’m a Junior Engineering/ Facilities manager for a multi national biotech.

I have 5 full time people & a further 4 contractors reporting into me...

Lots or tight deadlines & stakeholders to deal with.

Currently only have a trade cert & a level 7 diploma.

On 75k with a target of 12% bonus. Usual perks included...Vhi pension dental and eye care etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

He might want to talk to Shai to get the low down on something like the EII Scheme. If he's paying €40k in tax he has scope.

Eiis is an investment that you get tax relief on but you can lose all of the money invested so it's not a guaranteed tax saving .

I used to the do the film investment schemes when they were still going and looking back on it it was a big risk for a relatively small return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

lots of people pay 40k in tax. if you earn enough money you will pay that much tax. its called obeying the law. it doesn't mean you are somehow inefficient with planning your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Bigdig69 wrote: »
    If you are "saving on tax", you are non-compliant. Tax rates are the same for all workers.

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. As a contractor you're a director of your own company so it's completely different to being an employee in terms of tax

• Advertisement

Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. As a contractor you're a director of your own company so it's completely different to being an employee in terms of tax

It's a bit different not completely different

Also a lot of these contractors are de facto employees so the next crack down on that will sting

Cyrus wrote: »
    It's a bit different not completely different

Also a lot of these contractors are de facto employees so the next crack down on that will sting

It's very different, you're a company not an employee. For a start you can make more than 100% of salary towards pension contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

3 years with a large company. Pilot (First officer). 70K a year. But a third of that depends on how much work there is. So next year could be less who knows...

Pay my own health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Field east

Inquitus wrote: »
    Why do you include expenses may I ask? My work requires me to travel extensively and refunds me the cost of all said travel, I assume yours does the same. It is not the same as renumeration as I am only cliaming these expenses due to work requirements to be in X country for X weeks.

You very obviously do not watch TV and your friends do not share with you what they see on TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

You are failing to differentiate between your company's turnover and your personal income.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Maybe not everyone can do it, maybe only geniuses can do it, I've no idea.

What I do know is these people didn't go down the mills to get where they are or suffer anything in particular.

What I do know is that these people if they are a particular genius then they were born that way, they did not "go through the mill" to get to where they are.

That was my point.

You sound like a sad sack questioning the authenticity of the others because they are nice enough to share what they do, how they got there, how much they earn.

What's wrong with you? You aren't contributing anything here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mystic86 wrote: »
    There were just over 92,000 people in Ireland with a gross income in excess of 100k in 2017...

Thats 92,000 people who revenue know of earning over 100k, theres a lot of people who have limited companies, their partners/kids as employees etc... owning their assets or being payed out money to minimise tax burdens

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Ah stop now, this has to be a pisstake??

You went through the mill to get where you are? I thought you were a fireman or doctor or something and then you go tell us you're an IT contractor/consultant????

The reason that job has two titles is it's not a real job that actually does anything. :D:D:D:D:D

What mill did you go through, please tell us??

Poster uses computer to connect to a vast network of other computers to post a message stored on computer running a database thats presented to other computer users to say that a job maintaining these magic boxes isnt real

Eiis is an investment that you get tax relief on but you can lose all of the money invested so it's not a guaranteed tax saving .

I used to the do the film investment schemes when they were still going and looking back on it it was a big risk for a relatively small return

Should have gone to a better advisor. Plenty people have made money from tax saving incentives. But, it does explain your attitude.

Wesser wrote: »
    lots of people pay 40k in tax. if you earn enough money you will pay that much tax. its called obeying the law. it doesn't mean you are somehow inefficient with planning your money.

Very few of us maximise our tax saving abilities, not event he basics like claiming all our possible tax credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Thats 92,000 people who revenue know of earning over 100k, theres a lot of people who have limited companies, their partners/kids as employees etc... owning their assets or being payed out money to minimise tax burdens

The second part of your post doesn't result in the first part of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

agoodlife wrote: »
    41 year old pilot. I work for a large American company flying one of their corporate jets. Been with them for the last 14 years. I work a week on/week off. Live in Ireland but employer pays for my commuting to and from work.

Basic salary: €146,000
    Bonus: €25,000 (every February)

Usual perks - pension, 6 weeks paid vacation, health insurance etc.

Major downside - I’m away from my family for about 160 nights a year. Hotels get boring pretty fast. But my kids don’t know any better and this is what they are used to. My wife is incredible. I miss plenty of family events. Although, my employers are very good if I need personal time off, I get it without question. Recently my father passed away and I was at home for that. So that’s what’s really important I suppose.

I enjoy my job but could be just as happy doing something else. Money isn’t everything but it takes the sting out of being poor though. Definitely it makes life easier. I’ll do this until I’m 50 and then go part time.

It can be expensive to train as a pilot (maybe €70k plus) but it’s a great investment. There’s a big shortage of experienced pilots, particularly out in the Far East. Pay is good from the beginning and increases quickly when you become a Captain. I’d recommend it.

All I'd advise is to keep to the regular routine. Don't take any unannounced surprise trips home to surprise your family (and me!) for any of those 160 nights away from home. I agree that your wife is incredible. :p

mystic86 wrote: »
    The second part of your post doesn't result in the first part of your post.

Its not supposed to, but there are people who have over 100k a year at their disposal whos income according to rrevenue would be below that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Its not supposed to, but there are people who have over 100k a year at their disposal whos income according to rrevenue would be below that

Of course. Plenty of people do this. Their business makes one million this year and the owners decide that the business should pay themselves a salary of 90k for the year. In fact, anyone who can do this, would be stupid not to. The people ont he list as earning >100k are mainly people with high-paying 9-5s or else the subset that needed to draw >100k out of their business in that year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Of course. Plenty of people do this. Their business makes one million this year and the owners decide that the business should pay themselves a salary of 90k for the year. In fact, anyone who can do this, would be stupid not to. The people ont he list as earning >100k are mainly people with high-paying 9-5s or else the subset that needed to draw >100k out of their business in that year

And pay CT? and take it out of the business later down the line, and pay tax at that point anyway?

You are right on the latter part though.

Bigdig69 wrote: »
    You are failing to differentiate between your company's turnover and your personal income.

Over time your company's turnover can be turned into personal income much more tax efficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Degree and 15 years experience.

Thanks, I'm doing reasonably ok so!

almostover wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm doing reasonably ok so!

What's your qualifications, experience and salary if you don't mind me asking? Always good to benchmark.

Should have gone to a better advisor. Plenty people have made money from tax saving incentives. But, it does explain your attitude.

I did make money ? But what I said was the return v the risk wasn't great

Anyway you have it all sussed I'm sure fair play to you

• Advertisement

I did make money ?

I'm not a money advisor, but look after my own affairs. So, I do think someone paying €40k in tax could do with getting advice. But, then all the smart alec's jumped in with their 2 cents (cause that all they could afford :D:P)

Advertisement