Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Definitely rare as hell I'd say. Maybe 1000 people of the population on it. Its hardly a wage you stumble across.

1000 people on €100k or higher only. Stop, it's not 1960.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Definitely rare as hell I'd say. Maybe 1000 people of the population on it. Its hardly a wage you stumble across.

In 2015 the top 1% of household earnings were €200,000 & up. There were 35,000 cases of this reported to revenue. About 10,000 were single earners the rest were dual income couples.

It's not the 70s anymore. 100k is a good salary, it will get you a nice 3 bed in a good area of a city. It's not a South of France, champagne & yacht salary or anything close to it. Especially after tax.

As an aside anyone on 100k is paying nearly 40k in tax per year. It's heartbreaking for the service levels we have.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/top-1-of-earners-share-10-per-cent-of-all-income-in-ireland-1.2105100?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Just want to say thanks to everybody for sharing really helpful for an emigrant who is looking at what's the situation on the ground back home. Cheers .

Now the bad news, as I pay so little tax (10-15% all in) and live in a relatively low cost country I'd be looking for 150k annual package in Ireland to match my current income and savings per year (due to the punitive higher bracket tax rates and USC). I work in a high tech business development area.

The chances of me getting such a high paid job are..very low even though I'm quite experienced in my field . What to do, what to do. Take the hit I guess. But it could take me 2-3 years work in Ireland to save equivalent of 1 year here. I'm hoping my spouse's income can help to compensate a little. Ireland is a really high tax and expensive country and it's daunting moving back if you aren't used to that.

Construction, 50k, 50hr office time a week, midnight phone calls, all night emails and a soul destroying amount of stress and pressure.

As much as I dislike what I do and how I do it, I consider myself very fortunate - I don't know how people get by on 20k a year. :(

For that kind of heavy load I'd advise you to switch into either another company or industry , now. You'll very likely get more money and less stress.

agoodlife wrote: »
    Yes, you are right and I agree with you. Using the word society was wrong.

Interestingly, I sometimes feel that jobs often get easier the more you get paid. Of course, there are always exceptions but it’s my experience. My job is not difficult but I get paid loads. My father was a plumber and he had a tough, physical job but got paid far less than me. If he ever heard me complain about my job he’d have had a pop at me!

I use nurses as the example because I feel strongly about the high value they bring to their patient’s lives. I do feel they are underpaid. It would be interesting to see how different things would be if people were paid according to their value to society as opposed to market forces. Maybe a tad naive of me but maybe there is also a moral argument as to how much someone should be paid too.

I think you have a point specifically with nurses who are highly trained , hard working and paid a lot less than doctors . But nurses can get paid well with seniority and also if they work in private companies in certain roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

john343 wrote: »

in our place starting grad salary is 33-34K, thats the norm for engineering/software disciplines in multinationals, limerick based, good performer will be in 40-50k bracket within 2-3 years, after that progress will slow

I remember reading that multinationals tend to pay a lot more than domestic employers on average . This is true in most countries worldwide. It would be great if people stated they worked for a local company or a multinational . There's a lot of contractors posting too of course.

Pay attention to the wage discrepancy .

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/staff-of-us-multinationals-earn-over-1-5-times-the-average-wage-1.3069874

2015 (number should be higher now)
    New figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) show employees of US firms here earned an average of €59,836 in 2015, which was nearly double the industrial earnings average of €36,519.

I worked as financial advisor for 3 years and was privvy to every aspect of people's finances and after meeting approx 2 people every day (2 couples mostly so up to 4 people a day) I can categorically state that the posts here are extremely unrepresentative of what people earn. Most people I met had pensions, mortgages college funds, life insurance so we are not talking about people that were struggling.

In 3 years I met 2 or 3 people with the kind of figures being bandied about here. The vast, vast majority of people I met, generally between 30 and 45 years of age were in the 40-60k bracket.
    The only ones outside that were a few very strong IT lads and a couple in financial services.

It's the reason houses built for the masses around Dublin are priced in the 350 to 450k bracket.... 2 salaries x 3.5 times lending limits tops out at...... You do the maths.

Don't believe any of the tripe being written here.
    They're anonymous boards posters. Ask any of your friends or family what they earn and they won't tell you.

There's tonnes of people on good wages in Ireland, just because they weren't going to you for financial services doesn't mean they aren't around. Almost all my classmates and relatives are on 50k plus, a good number are probably on 80, 90, 100k+. You may have been encountering younger folks, if so that is completely understandable. Also many of the high earners will be working out of Dublin HQ/Regional HQ executive level jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

My wife is on about €96k basic plus 20% bonus plus shares on top, she is a group marketing manager and manages about 12 people so not a massive team however it is a very stressful and very demanding role. She has about 10 years marketing experience and a standard degree. €100k is no longer a massive salary (relatively speaking) and is attainable in alot of industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

Manufacturing Engineer in a MNC on €65 plus usual benefits.

• Advertisement

maninasia wrote: »

2015 (number should be higher now)

Tell me about it. We've a guy in our company, working with us about 5 years, not required in current department, being shifted to another department that we cannot bother to try and hire for specifically. No qualifications required, mundane processing job, salary increased because hours moving to 37.5 hrs a week to €42k.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

I think people are seriously underestimating how much trades people are making.

Similar to the Financial advisor above , a lot of the numbers in this thread would be laughed at by a self employed plumber with a good reputation yet traditionally he would be looked down upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

chops018 wrote: »
    I'm a Solicitor in private practise and I am on €55k.

I left a nice & handy (in saying that we still had to work hard, but it wasn't client facing, it was an advisory role to the business) In-House Solicitor role in Dublin, where I was on €60k and had a heap of benefits, to move closer to home. Before I left they hinted at giving me more money to stay, I'd say I could have gotten €65-70k from them.

I see a lot of jobs in Dublin going for someone with my experience in the "big firms" where I could probably get €80-90k, but the hours would be long and to be honest I prefer having some sort of work/life balance. I have buddies in the big firms and while the hours aren't always hectic I really don't know how they do it during the busy periods, for example if they are involved in a big transaction it's all hands on deck for 2-3 months until it's done i.e. no going home at 5/6/7pm, and a realistic finish time would be 9-10pm.

I loved working in Dublin and did for nearly 6 years. I used to get the train when I was city centre based and I'd never be more than an hour door to door. But the in-house role was not city centre based so it was taking me 2 hours each morning to commute and 1 hour and 15 minutes in the evening to get home. I then planned on getting back to the city centre or close to home a few months ago. A job close to home popped up and now it takes me 25 minutes door to door to get to work. You can't beat an easy commute, it makes the day's work easier. In saying that I wouldn't mind working in Dublin again but it would have to be city centre based so I could use the train.

You'd earn more as a self employed electrician

• Registered Users Posts: 30 john343

I'll bite...

I left a job in Fund Administration just over 8 months ago. It was a relatively senior technical non people management role. As I was leaving my annual remuneration package was approx. €43k, including health insurance and a small employer contributed pension. Granted it was outside the Pale/ Cork but that salary was after over 15 years experience in the sector. It was also a job that would probably end up killing me in the end it was getting so insanely stressful but that's another story.

Eight months ago I moved into a new sector, Personal Financial Advisor (outside of the banks/ building societies). It is very much a job where your take home pay is determined by how much commission you earn. A basic salary of €30k and to put it crudely after that the more you sell the more commission you earn with apparently the sky being the limit. I was told by the hiring manager that with a half good year in the first year I could easily expect to take home €70k to €100k. Reality of the matter is that unless something changes dramatically over the next few months it will be much much closer to €30k and I mean much much much closer to €30k (if not €30k). It will be pretty much the same scenario for many of the new guys I work beside if not some of the more seasoned guys also.

Central bank regulation requires that when selling certain financial products to individuals a fact find is completed. This is essentially a synopsis of their income, expenditure, dependents etc. - to ensure that the can afford and actually require the product. I would take these with a pinch of salt as invariably some will be generous and more will scale back the figure. However and interestingly, the picture I'm building up is that tradesmen - builders, plumbers, electricians seem to be taking home savage pay. Many would seem to be doing nixers too on the side too which appears to be very lucrative if what I am being told is to be believed. Some of these guys are very young and recently qualified too.

Many people who work what I would have considered to be well paid and respected professions don't seem to do as good by comparison - teachers, solicitors, accountants etc.

This all makes me think I should have steered clear of what would seem to be an underpaid, stressful and under respected financial services industry from the start frown.png

Not what im hearing, working conditions and rates are sh*te out there apparently. All well and good in terms of construction now for some people but as we all know its a cyclical sector.

In the coming years there will be another construction downturn and money will be sh*te or non existent again so really it probably balances out over x amount of years. Make hay while the sun shines!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

In 2015 the top 1% of household earnings were €200,000 & up. There were 35,000 cases of this reported to revenue. About 10,000 were single earners the rest were dual income couples.

It's not the 70s anymore. 100k is a good salary, it will get you a nice 3 bed in a good area of a city. It's not a South of France, champagne & yacht salary or anything close to it. Especially after tax.

As an aside anyone on 100k is paying nearly 40k in tax per year. It's heartbreaking for the service levels we have.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/top-1-of-earners-share-10-per-cent-of-all-income-in-ireland-1.2105100?mode=amp

Yep, I’ve paid over €40k tax this year. It’s crazy money.

I think people are seriously underestimating how much trades people are making.

Similar to the Financial advisor above , a lot of the numbers in this thread would be laughed at by a self employed plumber with a good reputation yet traditionally he would be looked down upon.

Not looked down on, more of a snobbery about professions where you use your mind rather than Hands (predominantly). One is an apprenticeship, and the other is university based. They work in suits and clean roles. Whereas plumbers dress very casually and can be bent over a toilet.

But, as you say some plumbers are racking it in, and a good choice as a career. But, not a job for someone in their 60's whereas a professional may be peaking.

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Yep, I’ve paid over €40k tax this year. It’s crazy money.

Go see a money advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

maninasia wrote: »
    For that kind of heavy load I'd advise you to switch into either another company or industry , now. You'll very likely get more money and less stress.

Friend of mine is a chippy for a big Construction form, he usually takes on big jobs and looks after the running of them in a kind. They asked him to change roles to a contracts manager and he did it for a few months before going back on the tools. He was earning about 50k a year as contracts manager and near 80k as a chippy managing the jobs with a lot less stress.

The higher level jobs in construction seem to pay less than the lads you are managing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Go see a money advisor.

What will they tell you? Max your pension contributions then what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cyrus wrote: »

Sadly so, just go see a good tax advisor , youll end up in some arseways scenario where your wife is the director of a company registered to your house and your car is now a pool car for the company and you eat lunch more than 10km from your house for subsistence and by some magic youve loads more money in your pocket

• Advertisement

Shur, you're fine, you know it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Shai

I think you might be seeing sarcasm where none was intended. Seriously though, as an employee (not a contractor, not a trader) there doesn't seem to be much you can do to lower your taxes. Do you have experience to the contrary?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

Manufacturing Engineer in a MNC on €65 plus usual benefits.

Would you mind my asking as to how much experience / qualifications you have? In a similar role myself and with performance appraisals coming up next month I'd like to benchmark to see if I'm underpaid or appropriately paid

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I don't throw out silly soundbites and refuse to give any substance when challenged

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭aristotle25

That’s about all you can do as an employee with just your salary and no other income. Make sure you are claiming all relevant tax credits.

If you are married then there are a few considerations like joint assessment etc.

I don't throw out silly soundbites and refuse to give any substance when challenged

He might want to talk to Shai to get the low down on something like the EII Scheme. If he's paying €40k in tax he has scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

1000 people on €100k or higher only. Stop, it's not 1960.

There were just over 92,000 people in Ireland with a gross income in excess of 100k in 2017...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

markodaly wrote: »
    My very very first job paid 1.65 per hour, old Irish pounds. This was the early 90's.

My first 'real' job in IT paid me 13K a year, that was after a degree and a masters....

Roll on the guts of 25 years, I make 600 per day, as an IT contractor/consultant. The guts of about 140k a year.

Most people who earn good money, have gone through the mill to earn it.
    It is not as common as people think for people to land into well paid jobs, despite the often used stereotype of about the private school D4/D6 set. My mother and father were not auctioners for Sherry Fitz, or accountants for the Big4, I had to get where I am the old fashioned way. A little bit of luck, some good decisioning making and of course, perserverance and drive.

Ah stop now, this has to be a pisstake??

You went through the mill to get where you are? I thought you were a fireman or doctor or something and then you go tell us you're an IT contractor/consultant????

The reason that job has two titles is it's not a real job that actually does anything. :D:D:D:D:D

What mill did you go through, please tell us??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Ah stop now, this has to be a pisstake??

You went through the mill to get where you are? I thought you were a fireman or doctor or something and then you go tell us you're an IT contractor/consultant????

The reason that job has two titles is it's not a real job that actually does anything. :D:D:D:D:D

What mill did you go through, please tell us??

Do you think they just pay them that much because they like giving away money?

If everyone could do it, then it would pay less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

agoodlife wrote: »
    41 year old pilot. I work for a large American company flying one of their corporate jets. Been with them for the last 14 years. I work a week on/week off. Live in Ireland but employer pays for my commuting to and from work.

Basic salary: €146,000
    Bonus: €25,000 (every February)

Usual perks - pension, 6 weeks paid vacation, health insurance etc.

Major downside - I’m away from my family for about 160 nights a year. Hotels get boring pretty fast. But my kids don’t know any better and this is what they are used to. My wife is incredible. I miss plenty of family events. Although, my employers are very good if I need personal time off, I get it without question. Recently my father passed away and I was at home for that. So that’s what’s really important I suppose.

I enjoy my job but could be just as happy doing something else. Money isn’t everything but it takes the sting out of being poor though. Definitely it makes life easier. I’ll do this until I’m 50 and then go part time.

It can be expensive to train as a pilot (maybe €70k plus) but it’s a great investment. There’s a big shortage of experienced pilots, particularly out in the Far East. Pay is good from the beginning and increases quickly when you become a Captain. I’d recommend it.

How on god's earth do people fall for this crap. Hahahahaha, if you live this lifestyle then you don't post on Boards.

Cop the fcuk on people. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement