Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Senior Trainee in Neonatal Medicine - Critical Care of the Newborn. Basic Salary 68k, Overtime at 1.25 basic hourly rate of which I'd do 60-80 hours a month.

Death, horrific stress, life-or-death decisions that need to be made in seconds not minutes, technical skills, emotional skills, communication skills...

I'm at it 6 years - another 3 to go before finishing. 6 year degree before that, Masters and Research ongoing.

Hey stranger on the internet

You might have in some way looked after my daughter when she was born

thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Social Care Worker. Educated to level 9. 27k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Senior Trainee in Neonatal Medicine - Critical Care of the Newborn. Basic Salary 68k, Overtime at 1.25 basic hourly rate of which I'd do 60-80 hours a month.

Death, horrific stress, life-or-death decisions that need to be made in seconds not minutes, technical skills, emotional skills, communication skills...

I'm at it 6 years - another 3 to go before finishing. 6 year degree before that, Masters and Research ongoing.

There is no amount of money in the world that would make me do that job, fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not sure how else to put it but thank you for your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Engineer working in Pharma projects. I was in a staff role which with allowances totalled in about 45 - 50k. Left there to do the same job as a self employed contractor. That was a major jump to approx 90k. That would be for an average of 45 hours a week.

It's not the same as earning a salary of that amount, nowhere near it in fact. A staff role includes holiday pay (6-7 paid weeks per year including annual leave & bank hols), sick pay, pension etc. When I moved to contracting all those things have to come out of your own pocket instead of your employers. Add in costs for an accountant, time taken doing paperwork, tax returns, loss of subsidised canteen (poor me I know), reduced job security, harder to secure a mortgage, etc, then it works out as much less than what you'd imagine a 90k package should be.

That being said it's still very good money. If in a few years the jobs market looks like it's about to nosedive, I'd take the hit and look to go back into the security of a staff role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

Engineer working in Pharma projects. I was in a staff role which with allowances totalled in about 45 - 50k. Left there to do the same job as a self employed contractor. That was a major jump to approx 90k. That would be for an average of 45 hours a week.

It's not the same as earning a salary of that amount, nowhere near it in fact. A staff role includes holiday pay (6-7 paid weeks per year including annual leave & bank hols), sick pay, pension etc. When I moved to contracting all those things have to come out of your own pocket instead of your employers. Add in costs for an accountant, time taken doing paperwork, tax returns, loss of subsidised canteen (poor me I know), reduced job security, harder to secure a mortgage, etc, then it works out as much less than what you'd imagine a 90k package should be.

That being said it's still very good money. If in a few years the jobs market looks like it's about to nosedive, I'd take the hit and look to go back into the security of a staff role.

You save a lot on tax though. I did contracting for a short while, would love to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

This guy getting torn apart in the comments.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/spending-money-diary-ireland-software-engineer-4922762-Dec2019/

Why would people anonymously lie about their salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/spending-money-diary-ireland-software-engineer-4922762-Dec2019/

Not necessarily lying to be fair, it's very high but just about possible I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭antimatterx

That's sounds pretty fair tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

hots wrote: »
    Not necessarily lying to be fair, it's very high but just about possible I'd say.

It *might* be possible, as I said before - some of the "big names" do pay whereabouts of 100k for developers.

That said, the description of the day-to-day is a descent into sadness no 27 years old should be doing. My pensioner parents are globetrotting, partying jet-setters in comparison...

Also, I love how delusional he is about the "high taxation" in Ireland and the "cost of living".

• Advertisement

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It *might* be possible, as I said before - some of the "big names" do pay whereabouts of 100k for developers.

That said, the description of the day-to-day is a descent into sadness no 27 years old should be doing. My pensioner parents are globetrotting, partying jet-setters in comparison...

Also, I love how delusional he is about the "high taxation" in Ireland and the "cost of living".

Cost of living isn't an outrageous thing to moan about. High tax, meh, maybe.

I thought his diary was pretty standard for someone who doesn't like boozing, a bit spend-y but I guess that's the point of the post right? Not my cup of tea but I'd say a random 7 days of mine would be dull as dishwater too.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

What makes you think he's lying ?

If they got great degree/phd results and a good project in a hot topic like AI, NoSql databases or blockchains, then joined a fast growing startup or made a serious reputation for themselves in a large company it's not unheard of.

It's a lot of money, but if you have the software skills set a company is looking for then you can seriously push up your salary.

I'd expect a 27 year old software engineer (assuming 5 years of experience ) to be on at least €65k in Dublin city centre.
    And much more if they've a night time masters under their belt in some hot area like AI, blockchains, computer vision etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

seriously, the journal comments section is one of the bitter corners of the internet. fair play to the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Ludikrus

Yeah, I’m in that industry and line of work. It’s high but definitely not unheard of. Surprising though he got there at 27yrs old. If it’s true he must be exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

Interactive Communications Implementation Developer
    107k per week
    253 days holiday + Health Insurance + 4 slaves + Gym membership

• Registered Users Posts: 32,310 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    seriously, the journal comments section is one of the bitter corners of the internet. fair play to the lad.
    The journals comments section is a cesspool.
    Fair play to him.

I have been working in IT for years not that surprised at the salary he is getting.

I am an AP in the CS so not on that kind of money I think I'm on 68k approx (and 10 years older lol), but probably a better work life balance. I have been offered roles close to that pay level.
    I have a Bsc hons in computer science and masters in management of information systems, along with a lot of other qualifications and training in SAS, oracle and Microsoft area. I'd say he forks out a fair bit on training etc as well.

Cost of living isn't an outrageous thing to moan about. High tax, meh, maybe.

I thought his diary was pretty standard for someone who doesn't like boozing, a bit spend-y but I guess that's the point of the post right? Not my cup of tea but I'd say a random 7 days of mine would be dull as dishwater too.

Taxes in Ireland, for workers, aren't that high. My monthly after tax pay would be several hundreds less than it is here, gross staying the same, in most European countries.

The cost of living isn't as "sky high" as people love to moan about once you factor in the salaries; Sure, rents are a basket case and they drive the whole index up by a number of factors, but for someone on 92k "cost of living" in Dublin ain't gonna be a problem in the slightest. Sure, a pizza's gonna cost 3 times than, say, in Italy or Spain, but his salary is the same 3x/4x times what the same job in these countries get. And prices for goods in supermarkets, say Lidl, aren't really that different.

What he is delusional about is that his company would agree to a transfer, say to Spain, at the same salary. He'd be earning 3x what his colleagues do and that, no matter how good he might be, ain't going to happen. There WILL be someone almost as good as him, in Spain, that'll do the job for a Spanish-aligned salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Doc07

Taxes in Ireland, for workers, aren't that high. My monthly after tax pay would be several hundreds less than it is here, gross staying the same.

Is 50% tax not high?

Taxes in Ireland, for workers, aren't that high. My monthly after tax pay would be several hundreds less than it is here, gross staying the same, in most European countries.

The cost of living isn't as "sky high" as people love to moan about once you factor in the salaries; Sure, rents are a basket case and they drive the whole index up by a number of factors, but for someone on 92k "cost of living" in Dublin ain't gonna be a problem in the slightest. Sure, a pizza's gonna cost 3 times than, say, in Italy or Spain, but his salary is the same 3x/4x times what the same job in these countries get. And prices for goods in supermarkets, say Lidl, aren't really that different.

What he is delusional about is that his company would agree to a transfer, say to Spain, at the same salary. He'd be earning 3x what his colleagues do and that, no matter how good he might be, ain't going to happen. There WILL be someone almost as good as him, in Spain, that'll do the job for a Spanish-aligned salary.

Our cost of living matches us with the top cities in the world, and our wages don't, it's fairly well out of whack in fairness.

Putting zero effort in, it looks like our tax is high enough https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/personal-income-tax-rate

I must have missed the bit about the transfer. I've never heard of a transfer to Italy/Spain and retaining wages, but to Canada or to a non-Dublin irish office I have seen plenty of and retaining wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

Doc07 wrote: »
    Is 50% tax not high?

Our tax rate is not 50%.

It is disingenuous to suggest otherwise. Up to approx 35k it's 20%.

Factoring in prsi, usc etc, it is 50% ballpark on income above that threshold, but earn 60K, you're not only taking home 30K. Be honest!

• Advertisement

Our cost of living matches us with the top cities in the world, and our wages don't, it's fairly well out of whack in fairness.

Putting zero effort in, it looks like our tax is high enough https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/personal-income-tax-rate

I must have missed the bit about the transfer. I've never heard of a transfer to Italy/Spain and retaining wages, but to Canada or to a non-Dublin irish office I have seen plenty of and retaining wages.

Zero effort and it shows - I can guarantee you that website is sporting incorrect data; For one simple reason - my net monthly salary, in Italy, would be nearly 400 Euro less, the gross staying the same. Which casts doubt on the entirety of the data reported.

Don't believe me? Check it yourself:

https://www.pmi.it/servizi/292472/calcolo-stipendio-netto.html

Enter a GROSS figure when it says "Retribuzione Annua Lorda (RAL)"; Let's say 75000.

Change "13" to "12" on the second last field, that's the number of monthly installments (the Italian Government, and most companies, divide the salary in 13 monthly instalments rather than 12, long story - you get the illusion of double pay in December).

Click "Avvia il Calcolo" (calculate).

Result: 3.747 Net/ monthly. In Ireland, it's 4.124 Net/Monthly.

But wait, there's more - the difference is actually proportionally WORSE the lower the salary is. Repeat the operation with, say, 25000 Euro/year gross.

Italy - 1507 Euro/month
    Ireland - 1821 Euro/month

A 75k salary has a difference on the net figure of 9.15%. A 25k, the difference is 16.4%.

I understand this is Boards and the motto is "Ireland's the worst place in the world", with a sprinkling of "we're all gonna die", but facts are facts. Ireland's overall income taxation, amongst comparable economies in terms of salaries, is pretty much in the "average" camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Doctor. 8 years qualified. On about 65k basic but make 30k+ overtime a year.

Work 60+ hours most weeks. 24h shifts fairly often.

There's easier ways to money. Sometimes I wish I'd done actuary or accountancy or IT as I'd probably be making similar with far better conditions, but I know I wouldn't find them interesting or exciting enough and wouldn't be able to stick it out.

Maybe don't listen or read anything by Dr Matthew Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 30 john343

Social Care Worker. Educated to level 9. 27k.

Jaysus, Masters and only 27k. Tough job also, hats off to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Our tax rate is not that high? Hahahahaha

How can you say that, when there are people out there losing half their annual salary in tax?

And we wouldn't mind if we were at least given decent public services in return for all the money we are taxed, but we're not.

My uncle recently moved to Chicago, in naperville where he lives and the tax rate is 7% 7 bloody %.

Yes irelands tax rate is 20% but only for below average earners. Under 35k.

40% above that which most workers are on or above.

My mother got taxed €300 from her Christmas bonus ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

JJJackal wrote: »
    You dont get paid half enough. No money can compensate you for working regular 24 hour shifts where you are working for 20 plus hours of the 24. I suspect the 2-4 you may be "sleeping" are not restful.

Thank you for your sacrifice

You American by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

How can you say that, when there are people out there losing half their annual salary in tax?

Nobody in Ireland pays 50% of their income in tax.

Nobody.

You may be thinking about the approx 50% marginal tax rate, that applies on all income above a crazily low amount of 35k approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

And we wouldn't mind if we were at least given decent public services in return for all the money we are taxed, but we're not.

My uncle recently moved to Chicago, in naperville where he lives and the tax rate is 7% 7 bloody %.

Yes irelands tax rate is 20% but only for below average earners. Under 35k.

40% above that which most workers are on or above.

You know how tax brackets work yeah?

My parents pay 8% tax here in Ireland, on 48-49k income.

All income is taxable.

• Advertisement

john343 wrote: »
    Jaysus, PHd and only 27k. Tough job also, hats off to you...

Level 9 is Masters, not PhD.

Advertisement