Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

I work in the public sector but i take home about 55% of my total income after PRD/pension/USC/income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I work in the public sector but i take home about 55% of my total income after PRD/pension/USC/income tax.

Yes, pension conts and PRD are quite significant in the PS.

But do the calculations for just tax+USC+PRSI.

That is what is compared.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Rooster86

Work in sales.
    90k base and 50% bonus.
    OTE is 160k.
    Did a marketing degree in college

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

You planning on not taking the lump sum and pension when you retire?

If you are then your take home is deferred and higher than 55%.

The usual disingenuous slight of hand of the public sector

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

SE role in Dublin multinational, hires 20+ grads every year on 36k + up to 10% bonus, pension and vhi.
    General salary increase is ~2% every year so f* all.
    Pretty low taking into account rent and how expensive everything around here is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Work in sales.
    90k base and 50% bonus.
    OTE is 160k.

Many years experience? 50pc bonus is mad. Are the hours long?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Rooster86 wrote: »
    Work in sales.
    90k base and 50% bonus.
    OTE is 160k.

cocaine or munitions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

cocaine or munitions ?

I'd say both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Project manager, construction, mainly civil

Did civil engineering degree. Chartered.

80k ish plus a bonus which varies wildly.
    1k some years 10k some years
    My personal car is well covered but it does get wrecked

Could move and earn more but my I've a deal with my boss. I start early and gone by 4.30 or 5. No Saturdays. Unusual enough in civils.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Recently self employed, I think I'd make more in McDonald's but I'm happy and the world is my oyster now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

£10 an hour shoveling ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

The tax rates in Ireland get high VERY quickly because we don't/barely tax lowest earners (if you take into account their tax credits). It's a few years old but I doubt it's massively changed https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/why-one-in-three-earners-pays-no-income-tax-1.2841652

I worked in other European countries and while the amount can be low, all income earners are expected to pay some form of tax. While the percentage could be minimal the total amount would be significant due to the numbers on low wages.
    If we did that you could raise the entry point to the higher tax brackets and maybe have people on under 50K not hitting the highest bracket. The system here is massively skewed to hitting those that work in decent full time jobs hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 agoodlife

41 year old pilot. I work for a large American company flying one of their corporate jets. Been with them for the last 14 years. I work a week on/week off. Live in Ireland but employer pays for my commuting to and from work.

Basic salary: €146,000
    Bonus: €25,000 (every February)

Usual perks - pension, 6 weeks paid vacation, health insurance etc.

Major downside - I’m away from my family for about 160 nights a year. Hotels get boring pretty fast. But my kids don’t know any better and this is what they are used to. My wife is incredible. I miss plenty of family events. Although, my employers are very good if I need personal time off, I get it without question. Recently my father passed away and I was at home for that. So that’s what’s really important I suppose.

I enjoy my job but could be just as happy doing something else. Money isn’t everything but it takes the sting out of being poor though. Definitely it makes life easier. I’ll do this until I’m 50 and then go part time.

It can be expensive to train as a pilot (maybe €70k plus) but it’s a great investment. There’s a big shortage of experienced pilots, particularly out in the Far East. Pay is good from the beginning and increases quickly when you become a Captain. I’d recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

salonfire wrote: »
    You planning on not taking the lump sum and pension when you retire?

If you are then your take home is deferred and higher than 55%.

Wow, I never realised my take home includes my ''deferred'' pension payment. I wonder if I can pay for next weeks groceries with the deferred part of my wages?

Seriously, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Geuze wrote: »
    Nobody in Ireland pays 50% of their income in tax.

Nobody.

You may be thinking about the approx 50% marginal tax rate, that applies on all income above a crazily low amount of 35k approx.

Nobody?

Bit much.

What about self employed with an income of 1 million? They would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

mystic86 wrote: »
    Nobody?

Bit much.

They wouldn't be on paye/salary if self employed though, so not even relevant to the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Sex worker i won't get into bed for less than 10k.

What I will say is that we have a screwed up system when it comes to determining the ‘value’ of somebody’s occupation. I’m a pilot and I get well paid but it takes longer to train to be a nurse yet society decides that I should be paid more. I think this is bizarre.

My father spent the last month of his life in a hospice. The care he received was outstanding. How anybody could even attempt to deprive a nurse of a pay rise is beyond me.

Life is not fair and this is often very apparent when you look at what people get paid to do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

34, In sales, average year around mid 90s, this year will be a little over 112k plus the usual car, phone etc. 9 years with this company. Never went to college, fell into sales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

agoodlife wrote: »
    What I will say is that we have a screwed up system when it comes to determining the ‘value’ of somebody’s occupation. I’m a pilot and I get well paid but it takes longer to train to be a nurse yet society decides that I should be paid more. I think this is bizarre.

My father spent the last month of his life in a hospice. The care he received was outstanding. How anybody could even attempt to deprive a nurse of a pay rise is beyond me.

Life is not fair and this is often very apparent when you look at what people get paid to do their job.

Society doesn't decide this, it's purely market driven. Unfortunately for nurses, they work in the public sector, so have more barriers to a high salary. Also, the barrier to entry to being a nurse is quite low. This is not meant to take away from nurses, it's just the way it is.

Society doesn't decide to pay pilots a big salary, you think Michael O'Leary wouldn't halve a pilot's salary if he knew he could get away with it? He would lose all of his pilots and the company would go under. Clearly there is a demand for pilots and the barrier to entry is very high - hence the big salary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

OEP wrote: »
    Society doesn't decide this, it's purely market driven. Unfortunately for nurses, they work in the public sector, so have more barriers to a high salary. Also, the barrier to entry to being a nurse is quite low. This is not meant to take away from nurses, it's just the way it is.

Society doesn't decide to pay pilots a big salary, you think Michael O'Leary wouldn't halve a pilot's salary if he knew he could get away with it? He would lose all of his pilots and the company would go under. Clearly there is a demand for pilots and the barrier to entry is very high - hence the big salary.

How is the barrier to being a nurse low

Yes, you are right and I agree with you. Using the word society was wrong.

Interestingly, I sometimes feel that jobs often get easier the more you get paid. Of course, there are always exceptions but it’s my experience. My job is not difficult but I get paid loads. My father was a plumber and he had a tough, physical job but got paid far less than me. If he ever heard me complain about my job he’d have had a pop at me!

I use nurses as the example because I feel strongly about the high value they bring to their patient’s lives. I do feel they are underpaid. It would be interesting to see how different things would be if people were paid according to their value to society as opposed to market forces. Maybe a tad naive of me but maybe there is also a moral argument as to how much someone should be paid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's not just a matter of the "barrier" being high or low (although many people can't afford to go into the debt necessary to become a pilot; It's a career path I would have loved, but I didn't have a way to borrow the money when I was younger), it's also a matter of how many people WANT to go into a specific career path. As we stand, there's a HUGE shortage of pilots the world over for the simple reason that kids don't dream about being pilots anymore. They want to be Youtubers or professional gamers.
    Comparatively, we're swimming in nurses and school teachers - so whomever pays the salaries, can get away with lower levels as there's always "someone next in line".

If you don't believe me or @agoodlife about the shortage, go check some of the aviation-enthusiast news sources around the web - there's plenty of talk about hoping the new Top Gun movie, along with a reboot of Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2020, would reignite the interest for aviation in kids...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's not just a matter of the "barrier" being high or low (although many people can't afford to go into the debt necessary to become a pilot; It's a career path I would have loved, but I didn't have a way to borrow the money when I was younger), it's also a matter of how many people WANT to go into a specific career path. As we stand, there's a HUGE shortage of pilots the world over for the simple reason that kids don't dream about being pilots anymore. Comparatively, we're swimming in nurses and school teachers - so whomever pays the salaries, can get away with lower levels as there's always "someone next in line".

If you don't believe me or @agoodlife about the shortage, go check some of the aviation-enthusiast news sources around the web - there's plenty of talk about hoping the new Top Gun movie, along with a reboot of Microsoft Flight Simulator in 2020, would reignite the interest for aviation in kids...

From what I see of our hospitals and the fact that interviews are being carried out abroad to get nurses, we are definitely short of nurses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

khalessi wrote: »
    From what I see of our hospitals and the fact that interviews are being carried out abroad to get nurses, we are definitely short of nurses

And short of money to pay them (Not getting into that, we all know the state of the HSE). If all hospitals were privately run, for profit, then this would be very different.

Edit: This being the nurse's salary. I am not suggesting with have all private hospitals!

And short of money to pay them (Not getting into that, we all know the state of the HSE). If all hospitals were privately run, for profit, then this would be very different.

And so would the level of care given to the average person. Sounds like something from the US and I don't think that is something anyone wants over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

aaakev wrote: »
    34, In sales, average year around mid 90s, this year will be a little over 112k plus the usual car, phone etc. 9 years with this company. Never went to college, fell into sales

Selling what can I ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Comparatively, we're swimming in nurses and school teachers - so whomever pays the salaries, can get away with lower levels as there's always "someone next in line".

We're actually not swimming in either of them. Just because we might have plenty qualifying from college does not mean we have a surplus. Quite the opposite in fact.

Every secondary school in the country is having major trouble recruiting teachers in certain areas. Modern languages, maths, science etc. cannot fill the vacancies. The reality is (although the Dept of Education hides this) is that our schools have to make do with unqualified teachers to just fill gaps in their timetables. My children and yours are being taught by unqualified teachers. The Dept of Education loves announcing how they have created another 2000 teacher positions in the syatem. However, they don't tell you how school principles are finding it imposible to fill them.

Newly qualified teachers are going abroad or working outside of education. Young teachers in fulltime jobs are taking career breaks to go abroad to earn more. If they are refused a career break they resign. The attraction of the "fulltime job" with the "cushy pension" doesn't seem to be an attraction any longer.

There are hundreds of nursing positions vacant as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

mystic86 wrote: »
    Nobody?

Bit much.

Probably not loopholes.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Selling what can I ask?

Commercial vehicles

Advertisement