Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Esel wrote: »
    Can you put a VW engine into a CX650, or vice versa? :)

Trike..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Esel wrote: »
    Can you put a VW engine into a CX650, or vice versa? :)

Why would you want to ?!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You could end up with this,:D:D:D

504493.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Why would you want to ?!
    Whoosh

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

kadman wrote: »
    You could end up with this,:D:D:D

504493.jpg

The Isle of Man for a bit of sidecar racing, almost centre hub steering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

alfa beta wrote: »
    That's sorta the plan ….

You know what I should do. As a stipulation in any sale I could demand that the new owner document the vehicle's restoration right here in this thread. ...:)

I have just found this thread recently. Congratulations on such a nice collection.

The MZ's and the Cub are in such original condition that I think it would be a shame to do a major restoration. Original motorcycles are becoming harder and harder to find. If they were mine I would get them running , put new tyres and chain on , refurbish the brakes , clutch etc, have a look over the electrics , sort out any rust and leave it at that.

Good luck with them which ever you decide .

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

This thread reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEJxc1r_dtI

I've watched this a few times. Great watch. The fact that the owner stock piles all sorts of accessories for the car is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rock22 wrote: »
    The MZ's and the Cub are in such original condition that I think it would be a shame to do a major restoration. Original motorcycles are becoming harder and harder to find. If they were mine I would get them running , put new tyres and chain on , refurbish the brakes , clutch etc, have a look over the electrics , sort out any rust and leave it at that.

How else would you define a restoration...?

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

How else would you define a restoration...?

I think what rock is describing is a renovation, or recommissioning rather than all out nut and bolt restoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Would love to see what boats you have in the shed. I'm interested in classic cars but boats are also my thing.
    Are they speedboats or sailing boats/dinghies? I've recently rescued a late 60's sailing dinghy from being cut up and thrown in the landfill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Did I see mention of an old Harley?
    Any more info or pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Donie75 wrote: »
    Would love to see what boats you have in the shed. I'm interested in classic cars but boats are also my thing.
    Are they speedboats or sailing boats/dinghies? I've recently rescued a late 60's sailing dinghy from being cut up and thrown in the landfill.

Nothing too interesting regarding the boats I'm afraid - a 14ft grp open boat, could be used for fishing, a 17ft grp cabin cruiser hull and deck (not sure what make) early 70's (hull and deeck as new but needs everything else). A little 'Tabur Yak' dinghy, very popular in the 70's and 80's and a great little boat to row, ALso a couple of sit in kayaks that I use myself and a very early windsurfer (which is so big it could now be used as a paddleboard!) Oh and a couple of yamaha outboards as well, one new, one used.

vectra wrote: »
    Any more info or pics?

The Harley was one of the most recent acquisitions - a present for his 70th from his beloved missus. It's a 1990 883 Sportster - nice bike but too low a ride for me (I'm 6 ft 3) - suited him though as he was 5' 8"

Great sound out of it. Absolutely mint condition too. Just hasn't been started in a few years. It's quite accessible so I'll throw a pic up here tomorrow.

It's just turned 30 years old so good time to get it back on the road now that its tax would be the classic rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Can I be quarantined in your dad's shed OP?

The Harley was one of the most recent acquisitions - a present for his 70th from his beloved missus. It's a 1990 883 Sportster - nice bike but too low a ride for me (I'm 6 ft 3) - suited him though as he was 5' 8"

Great sound out of it. Absolutely mint condition too. Just hasn't been started in a few years. It's quite accessible so I'll throw a pic up here tomorrow.

It's just turned 30 years old so good time to get it back on the road now that its tax would be the classic rate.

Cool, thanks.
    As far as I recall, it was an 883 sportster my brother in law bought as his first Harley, that was a good number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Awful feckin yokes, should have been called Massey 883s.

vectra wrote: »
    Any more info or pics?

Quickly jumping back into motorbike pics here - but conscious again that this is a classic car thread .... I hope I'm not annoying anyone. In any case here are my three favourite bikes from the old man's legacy.

1. The Harley. 1990 883 Sportster. Neat and tidy and loud as hell - and sorta like a tractor on two wheels. I'm never sure what to make of it. As bikes go, I feel it's a bit of a novelty, and one that quickly wears off. Still like it though.

IMG-5245.jpg

2. My old bike, which himself bought as he didn't want me to sell it to anyone else!! a 1983 Honda CX650 Custom (imported from the US). I liked it coz of its height and ride position. It's a pretty smooth V-twin with a shaft drive. Must get it out on the road again someday.

IMG-5247.jpg

And then (3) there's this little baby - an absolutely pristine 1978 Honda 50. My Dad sold it in 78 to a guy who kept it immaculately until he sold it back to Dad in 2006!! - it's been run a few times since but mainly kept under wraps. Must be one of the best examples in the country.

IMG-5244.jpg

Now .... no more bikes, I promise!!!!

Thanks for those.
    That 50 is immaculate as you say.
    650 custom would be a nice cruiser.

Aww I'm disappointed the cub wasn't in the list, I'd have it over the chicken chaser and harley any day. That 650 custom is a beauty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Nice bikes there Alfa Beta, as there seems to be a lot of interest in classic/vintage bikes is it time to get a separate thread going with plenty pics etc?

• Advertisement

Having had a great response on this thread - and still blown away by the number of 'likes' that the early post about my Dad got - I just thought I'd let everyone here know that we (myself and my mother) had a bit of a fundraiser in the man's name recently.

You see as well as hoarding vehicles he was also quite the hoarder of stock. Basically he wasn't too bothered about selling stuff in his later years. So when he passed, as well as his own personal property, he also left behind him a three storey shop packed to the rafters with a mixture of total junk, semi-junk(!) and new stock (giftware, old electronics, clocks, China, homeware etc etc dating back to the 70's).

We started around Christmas by getting rid of the total junk and after 10 large truck loads we got to the stage where we were left with the more sellable things. So we opened the doors of his shop for one last time (before putting it on the market) and sold as much of what he'd accumulated over the years as we could, with the aim of raising money for three charities that were close to his heart. Our sale made a fantastic €23,000 for those charities (the main one being the Cope Foundation in Cork - my sister has sever learning needs and has been supported by Cope for years - Dad was always involved in fundraising for them). We were delighted by the response to our fundraiser (and thankfully we got it done just before the Covid-19 issues).

It was fab to be able to raise money in his name. He was very well liked in the local town and an awful lot of people got a great kick out of being able to pop into his shop (which had been there since the 50's ) for one last time.

With the exception of the MZ motorbikes, none of the vehicles mentioned in this thread were sold - we concentrated on all the small stuff first. But for anyone following this thread, you'll be delighted to know that a random encounter with a customer who told us he himself was a big MZ fan meant that the two motorbikes now have a new owner, and that that change in ownership meant a substantial donation to the Irish Kidney Association was made possible.

So all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Having had a great response on this thread - and still blown away by the number of 'likes' that the early post about my Dad got - I just thought I'd let everyone here know that we (myself and my mother) had a bit of a fundraiser in the man's name recently.

You see as well as hoarding vehicles he was also quite the hoarder of stock. Basically he wasn't too bothered about selling stuff in his later years. So when he passed, as well as his own personal property, he also left behind him a three storey shop packed to the rafters with a mixture of total junk, semi-junk(!) and new stock (giftware, old electronics, clocks, China, homeware etc etc dating back to the 70's).

We started around Christmas by getting rid of the total junk and after 10 large truck loads we got to the stage where we were left with the more sellable things. So we opened the doors of his shop for one last time (before putting it on the market) and sold as much of what he'd accumulated over the years as we could, with the aim of raising money for three charities that were close to his heart. Our sale made a fantastic €23,000 for those charities (the main one being the Cope Foundation in Cork - my sister has sever learning needs and has been supported by Cope for years - Dad was always involved in fundraising for them). We were delighted by the response to our fundraiser (and thankfully we got it done just before the Covid-19 issues).

It was fab to be able to raise money in his name. He was very well liked in the local town and an awful lot of people got a great kick out of being able to pop into his shop (which had been there since the 50's ) for one last time.

With the exception of the MZ motorbikes, none of the vehicles mentioned in this thread were sold - we concentrated on all the small stuff first. But for anyone following this thread, you'll be delighted to know that a random encounter with a customer who told us he himself was a big MZ fan meant that the two motorbikes now have a new owner, and that that change in ownership meant a substantial donation to the Irish Kidney Association was made possible.

Brilliant idea , just brilliant. Well done.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,074 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That's great - I'm glad you got in before the COVID-19 lockdown. Must have been a bittersweet memory for you opening the shop one last time.
    That is a great amount of money raise - congratulations and worthy thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Dropped by last week to shop while passing through met Alphabeta, pleasure to meet him. A lot of stuff gone when I called but I purchased a few items. Brilliant amount for charity well done.

hammerdub wrote: »
    Dropped by last week to shop while passing through met Alphabeta, pleasure to meet him. A lot of stuff gone when I called but I purchased a few items. Brilliant amount for charity well done.

Great to meet you Hammer - and thanks for the support :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Isn't it amazing that the cheapest (when new) and smallest Bike is now possibly worth far more than the others ?

As has been said here more than once.....if we only knew back then, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing that the cheapest (when new) and smallest Bike is now possibly worth far more than the others ?

As has been said here more than once.....if we only knew back then, etc.

Some of the cars I bought over the years for pennies, and rallied and wrecked for the craic would be worth 10-15k each nowadays. And that's before I mention when I went banger racing. We put some real gems to their death on the oval.

Having said that, they were virtually worthless at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭con747

Fair play, a great day in your dads memory.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

pablo128 wrote: »
    Some of the cars I bought over the years for pennies, and rallied and wrecked for the craic would be worth 10-15k each nowadays. And that's before I mention when I went banger racing. We put some real gems to their death on the oval.

Having said that, they were virtually worthless at the time.

Late 80s, myself and a couple of mates got our hands on a pristine navy Ford corsair with baby blue leather (ette) interior, column change with the 2l V4 engine. We had our own track and used to race minis and datsun 100As, and I'm ashamed to say we destroyed the corsair on the track. That car took unbelievable abuse and just kept going. There isn't a week goes by that I don't think of that machine and hang my head in shame.

• Advertisement

Late 80s, myself and a couple of mates got our hands on a pristine navy Ford corsair with baby blue leather (ette) interior, column change with the 2l V4 engine. We had our own track and used to race minis and datsun 100As, and I'm ashamed to say we destroyed the corsair on the track. That car took unbelievable abuse and just kept going. There isn't a week goes by that I don't think of that machine and hang my head in shame.

AHH don't beat yourself up over it they were a terrible car, universally hated by everyone in the trade and customers alike. It's a wonder that V4 stayed running long enough to complete one lap, possibly Henry's worst engine ever.

Advertisement