Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

LZB--- 4/64 - 6/64

• Registered Users Posts: 8,780 ✭✭✭CoBo55

PanhardPL wrote: »
    LZB--- 4/6/64 - 6/6/64

It spans my birthday, the actual year I was born!!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

PanhardPL wrote: »
    LZB--- 4/6/64 - 6/6/64

As in 3 days :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭passatman86

Great thread, a nice collection
    Interested to know what your fathers recent daily drivers would have been before he passed
    Seems to have had a like for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Great thread, a nice collection
    Interested to know what your fathers recent daily drivers would have been before he passed
    Seems to have had a like for everything

Fiats for the most part.

127s in the Seventies.

Ritmos and Tipos in the Eighties and Nineties.
    An Uno and a Punto in the Noughties. (None of the Fiats survived or were kept)

And then a complete change in 2010 to a Skoda Octavia - he liked that a lot, I'd say he'd have stuck with Skoda if he was still around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Cool! I leaned to drive in a 127 (Alexandra School of Motoring) and later had a Ritmo.

Great thread, thanks!

Testacalda wrote: »
    As in 3 days :confused:

April to June 64 smart Alec, although I suspect you knew that already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cashelc4

Hi would you have any more details about the Hijet?
    Fantastic collection by the way and fair play to your Dad for keeping everything.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    April to June 64 smart Alec, although I suspect you knew that already.

FWIW, seeing as we do months after days in Ireland, I made the same assumption as the other guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Cashelc4 wrote: »
    Hi would you have any more details about the Hijet?
    Fantastic collection by the way and fair play to your Dad for keeping everything.

Got your pm - Gimme a couple of days to get back to you with some more info and pictures - very busy at the moment but I will reply to it :)

• Advertisement

FWIW, seeing as we do months after days in Ireland, I made the same assumption as the other guy.

Ah here... Is common sense gone out the window completely??

For those struggling with the obvious it's 4/64 to 6)64. In words, it was issued in April 1964 and ran until June 1964, I was born in may 64:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

alfa beta wrote: »
    Photos below - not sure when it was last started - don't know much about it at all I'm afraid.

IMG-5216.jpg

IMG-5215.jpg

That particular T20 Cub had a production date between Sept 63 to 66 as the earlier model had the points in a distributor type assembly even though its a single cylinder. Nice to see it with its bikini fairing having survived. The last of the cubs in 1966 were a kind of combination of itself and the BSA Bantam. So the Cork reg dates it nicely with production dates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Sorry what's a nacelle and/or a bikini mentioned? I'm not big into bikes.

iamtony wrote: »

The bikini fairing is the small side enclosure wrapped around the oil tank. The nacelle is the enclosure the headlight is in. Both features were quite old fashioned by the mid sixties and were quickly removed by young lads.
    The larger bikes in the triumph range the 350, in particular had a bigger enclosure which gave it the non flattering nickname the bathtub triumph...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Fairings. Sometimes nacelle is used for the light unit covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

the bikini fairing are the side panels covering the rear wheel, the nacelle is the cover over the headlamp

Cool thanks lads. Who wants to tell me how to pronounce nacelle:o

I'm leaning towards Michelle sound but starting with n? Or maybe like knack el?

• Registered Users Posts: 66,945 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nah Cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Nay cell
    Or neah sell
    Anyhow think horses and prison....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Haha thanks for the education:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

kadman wrote: »

That's beautiful. Amazed it's not worth more, I suppose it's a supply and demand market when it comes to these things. The question is if it's worth more restored to look like this or in its original state?

Its not really a question of what it looks like. Classic vehicle collectors, me included
    want the ultimate goal, of being able to drive what we buy eventually.

Whether we self restore them, or pay someone to do it.

An unrestored vehicle has more value than one that has been worked on.

But the ultimate question is how much is someone going to pay to get what they want, restored versus un restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Naysell.

kadman wrote: »
    Its not really a question of what it looks like. Classic vehicle collectors, me included
    want the ultimate goal, of being able to drive what we buy eventually.

Whether we self restore them, or pay someone to do it.

An unrestored vehicle has more value than one that has been worked on.

But the ultimate question is how much is someone going to pay to get what they want, restored versus un restored.
    Interesting. So if you had 3k and you could buy alfas unrestored bike or this fully restored example for 2900 less some haggling what would you have?

Interesting. So if you had 3k and you could buy alfas unrestored bike or this fully restored example for 2900 less some haggling what would you have?

You would have one or the other:)

That gold yoke is an ibex, the colour is terrible, that carburettor is completely wrong and a seller who doesn't know the difference between a rectifier and a regulator ( which no cub ever had) doesn't inspire confidence. It would be alpha's original bike for me all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Markcheese wrote: »
    Nay cell
    Or neah sell
    Anyhow think horses and prison....
    Naysell.

The "a" in "nacelle" is the same as "a" in "about", a schwa sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cashelc4

Got your pm - Gimme a couple of days to get back to you with some more info and pictures - very busy at the moment but I will reply to it :)

Thank you so much , that would be great - I can see its buried at the back , so no worries , whenever you may get a chance.

Was it your Dads daily driver years back?

Advertisement