Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Nice bikes there Alfa Beta, as there seems to be a lot of interest in classic/vintage bikes is it time to get a separate thread going with plenty pics etc?

I'm surprised there isn't a separate sub forum either here or in the bikes section for classic / vintage bikes. You're right, plenty interest in them. But I'm not really sure where its better to post about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Late 80s, myself and a couple of mates got our hands on a pristine navy Ford corsair with baby blue leather (ette) interior, column change with the 2l V4 engine. We had our own track and used to race minis and datsun 100As, and I'm ashamed to say we destroyed the corsair on the track. That car took unbelievable abuse and just kept going. There isn't a week goes by that I don't think of that machine and hang my head in shame.

I had a 1970 Corsair 2000E between 1978 and 1980 - blue mink with a vinyl roof and black leather seats.

It rusted where the Macpherson struts were mounted. I couldn't afford the cost of getting it repaired and it was sold to an enthusiast who could afford to repair it.

It was my favourite car ever and I still miss it. You could change gears with your little finger and it would beat most other cars on the road back then in a straight line - the Macpherson struts at the front made it a bit wallowy in corners. I remember doing a consistent 80 up the Naas road at 7AM every Monday morning heading back to Dublin after the weekend.

Been busy over the last few weeks but things have come to a bit of a halt now with all this coronavirus stuff. Which means I can actually start locking myself away in the shed and uncovering the cars - and other vehicles - with a view to either selling (for fundraising purposes) or arranging restoration.

The easiest one to start with (being nearest the doors) is the little Daihatsu HiJet van. It's 35 years old (the newest four wheeled vehicle in that shed) and it was parked up for good in 1990. It was used by my old man on his trips to wholesalers in Dublin such as Hector Grey, Noel McCabes, Centro Bicycles etc.

I used to go with him when he'd buy/order stock. I'd have been 12 in 1985. My mother would make a big blast of 'hang-sangidges' and we'd fill up a flask and hit the road at dawn .... no M9 back then ... and no stopping off at fancy restaurants such as McDonalds!! God, it was an epic journey in those days, Dungarvan, Carrick-on-suir, Kilkenny, Castlecomer, Athy, Nass and eventually the big shmoke itself.

As a young fella I loved it. Loved going around to the different wholesalers, especially the bicycle people - Centro sold Peugeot bikes. I remember spotting a blue BMX with yellow tyres and Mag spokes. Saved my arse off for that bike and when I eventually had enough to buy it, the parents threw an extra few quid in for two-finger brake levers and pegs. I was made!!!!

Hector Greys was great too. There were always little gizmos and gadgets and gifts in that place. Mostly imported from China (a country that seemed to specialize in the cheapest and cheerfulest back then).

By the end of the day big stuff would have been ordered for delivery and the small stuff would have been packed into the little van, the sandwich tin and the flask would be empty and the journey home would begin. It still amazes me how much the old man managed to fit into that little van. It was like a big 3D game of tetris with him!!

Anyway, I know it's not that old and it's not really a sought after classic, but it is a quirky little thing. It sports a 843cc engine (!!) and has three cylinders, which I find a curious configuration. But hey, it worked! It was actually very reliable as far as I remember. And it was brilliant for delivering in small residential streets coz you could literally fit the little thing anywhere!!

Here it is in all its Japanese Mid Eighties Glory:

IMG-5271.jpg

IMG-5275.jpg

IMG-5280.jpg

IMG-5279.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭con747

alfa beta wrote: »
    Been busy over the last few weeks but things have come to a bit of a halt now with all this coronavirus stuff. Which means I can actually start locking myself away in the shed and uncovering the cars - and other vehicles - with a view to either selling (for fundraising purposes) or arranging restoration.

The easiest one to start with (being nearest the doors) is the little Daihatsu HiJet van. It's 35 years old (the newest four wheeled vehicle in that shed) and it was parked up for good in 1990. It was used by my old man on his trips to wholesalers in Dublin such as Hector Grey, Noel McCabes, Centro Bicycles etc.

I used to go with him when he'd buy/order stock. I'd have been 12 in 1985. My mother would make a big blast of 'hang-sangidges' and we'd fill up a flask and hit the road at dawn .... no M9 back then ... and no stopping off at fancy restaurants such as McDonalds!! God, it was an epic journey in those days, Dungarvan, Carrick-on-suir, Kilkenny, Castlecomer, Athy, Nass and eventually the big shmoke itself.

As a young fella I loved it. Loved going around to the different wholesalers, especially the bicycle people - Centro sold Peugeot bikes. I remember spotting a blue BMX with yellow tyres and Mag spokes. Saved my arse off for that bike and when I eventually had enough to buy it, the parents threw an extra few quid in for two-finger brake levers and pegs. I was made!!!!

Hector Greys was great too. There were always little gizmos and gadgets and gifts in that place. Mostly imported from China (a country that seemed to specialize in the cheapest and cheerfulest back then).

By the end of the day big stuff would have been ordered for delivery and the small stuff would have been packed into the little van, the sandwich tin and the flask would be empty and the journey home would begin. It still amazes me how much the old man managed to fit into that little van. It was like a big 3D game of tetris with him!!

Anyway, I know it's not that old and it's not really a sought after classic, but it is a quirky little thing. It sports a 843cc engine (!!) and has three cylinders, which I find a curious configuration. But hey, it worked! It was actually very reliable as far as I remember. And it was brilliant for delivering in small residential streets coz you could literally fit the little thing anywhere!!

Here it is in all its Japanese Mid Eighties Glory:

IMG-5271.jpg

IMG-5275.jpg

IMG-5280.jpg

IMG-5279.jpg

Pm sent

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Man, If I had the space I'd be in serious danger of buying a rusty little van right now!

Loving this thread.

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Man, If I had the space I'd be in serious danger of buying a rusty little van right now!

That's the beauty ... you hardly need any space to store that van ... Spare bathroom? It'll probably fit .... Just a cupboard, eh? Don't worry, we'll squeeze it in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's the beauty ... you hardly need any space to store that van ... Spare bathroom? It'll probably fit .... Just a cupboard, eh? Don't worry, we'll squeeze it in!!

I spent my youth obsessing over my neighbour's hijet. They are anazing little things. My obsession never waned!

Then I went to Japan in September last year and to see them and their ilk everywhere warmed the cockles. They're perfect for little tiny streets up little tiny islands for little tiny monks to bring to their little tiny monasteries!

Yours is a van apart! You'd be mad to part with it. But if you do I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I spent my youth obsessing over my neighbour's hijet. They are anazing little things. My obsession never waned!

Then I went to Japan in September last year and to see them and their ilk everywhere warmed the cockles. They're perfect for little tiny streets up little tiny islands for little tiny monks to bring to their little tiny monasteries!

Yours is a van apart! You'd be mad to part with it. But if you do I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands!

But the coming lockdown will stop you from collecting it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Must say I am loving this thread too. Keep the updates coming OP! You've brought a great smile to my face through all the negitivity floating round lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think there be just enough room in the van for myself and the engagement ring that will be thrown back at me to sleep in if I bought it. :pac:

I'd love to see it restored, just cant be by me unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

CianRyan wrote: »
    I think there be just enough room in the van for myself and the engagement ring that will be thrown back at me to sleep in if I bought it. :pac:

I'd love to see it restored, just cant be by me unfortunately.

Rubbish... she knew what you were before she accepted the ring. She'll understand. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The easiest one to start with (being nearest the doors) is the little Daihatsu HiJet van.

If that comes up for sale, I want dibs. I have a 1997 Hijet campervan with pop-top that needs a reshell. And it would be epic to reshell it into a van with original irish reg.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    If that comes up for sale, I want dibs.

/M

A couple of other people interested first - but I'll pm you if they fall through. (I know it's against the rules to sell stuff on Boards - so I'll stick to pm's for that side of things.) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭junkyarddog

Really enjoying this thread.

Love seeing all the treasure you are unearthing and sharing with us,
    but most of all I'm enjoying the stories,these are more than just old pieces of metal,they are time machines.

That's a great little van,I reckon if you chucked a charged battery into it and a splash of fresh fuel it would most likely start.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Alfa Beta like more I am really enjoying the thread, I too like your father was a regular at Noel McCabes which I believe is long gone

Alfa Beta like more I am really enjoying the thread, I too like your father was a regular at Noel McCabes which I believe is long gone

Must be gone over 20 years now I'd say ... they were out in Bluebell Industrial Estate, weren't they? I might well have walked right past you in there when I was a kid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

What a great thread! I remember the BMX bikes with the mag wheels you mentioned in one of your posts, if you had one back in the day, you were cool as hell. What other wonderful items lurk beneath the covers I wonder.

kadman wrote: »
    [/B]

But the coming lockdown will stop you from collecting it:D

I'll find a way!

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I vote for an airlift using a Chinook. Pricey but the safe option :pac:

It would fit in the boot of the Carina I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

love this thread.....

maybe we can start a 'weird **** I have in my shed' and post videos ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭RWD

Wow,a great thread,and a lovely story behind it,that Peugeot is unbelievable,fair play for sharing OP (Y)

Found a little time during the week to delve into the tractor side of things. A messy part of the shed, so the photos are seriously cluttered. There's a 1970's little Zetor, two Fergusons (don't know what year - assume 50's) and a Ford 3000 (didn't manage to get a photo.) I also uncovered a lovely old Pony Trap which I thought I'd pop a picture of up here .... okay it's not exactly a classic car, but it does get you from a to b under horsepower (that's close enough!!)

First the Zetor. This was a remarkable vehicle. Dad bought it new in the mid seventies and it spent the next 40 years on the little farm he and my mum ran alongside his shop. It was uber reliable and a really rugged little machine. It was also what I learnt to drive in. My specialty was filling up the transport box on the back a bit too much which meant I could do wheelies up the field lol!! (Don't tell him!!)

You can see from the photo that he'd been in the process of giving the engine a serious overhall and had it all stripped down and rebuilt. Unfortunately he passed away before getting the little machine going again.

I don't know much about the two Fergusons (only one is pictured but they look the same). All I know is that one runs TVO and one on diesel and that we never really used them on the farm. I think Dad just liked them from an engineering perspective and bought them because of that.

(The Ford 3000 is totally undercover at the moment but I'll try and clear a space to take a pic soon.)

Finally, the Pony Trap. I really have no idea how this came into the old man's ownership. He never owned a pony nor did he ever consider owning one. What can I say, he just bought things that he liked ... and kept em!!

IMG-5304.jpg

IMG-5293.jpg

IMG-5294.jpg

IMG-5296.jpg

IMG-5297.jpg

IMG-5298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

that 20 is diesel...................a tvo would have a distributor and plugs ................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A neighbour had the Ursus version of that Zetor, great racket off the 2 cylinder engine when it was revved up, I see a knife bar in the background.

Thanks Stock - It must be the other one that's TVO then - It's covered in stuff at the moment but I must take a better look to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

This thread really is the gift that keeps on giving - which is very welcome at the moment! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i've tidied mine...found no tractors (there's a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

stock> wrote: »
    that 20 is diesel...................a tvo would have a distributor and plugs ................................................

I learned to drive on a Ferguson 20 - aged 11 or 12!

I remember as a child one of our neighbours had a TVO tractor - I can still remember the exotic smell coming from the exhaust fumes of the fuel it burned. TVO was a strange sort of fuel oil, its probably very difficult to locate any now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

its probably very difficult to locate any now.

Apparently something similar to TVO can be replicated by mixing petrol with heating oil:

http://www.fofh.co.uk/tech/tvo.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've a 91 toyota hiace camper and that little van would make a cool surf bus with a simple conversion in the back, small rock and roll bed and a simple stove kitchen setup. A good polish would do wonders for it. Is it running

Advertisement