Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Grats

plenty of the frees awarded today were harmless in my opinion, hurling is in a great state the championships of the last 2 or 3 years have been as good as any we can remember yet the attitude of the of the referring in the last few weeks suggest there's major issues in the game. Can fathom how you think hurling is going down the football route....

Harmless, soft, call them what you want but there are simply way too many. And remember refs don't even blow them all. Of course there are poorish refs but they don't foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Grats wrote: »
    Harmless, soft, call them what you want but there are simply way too many. And remember refs don't even blow them all. Of course there are poorish refs but they don't foul.

Problem is lot of the soft frees given today won't be given in the championship. Its the lack of consistency. Hurling needs to flow, advantage rule isn't used enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Hindsight is 20/20 and when pearse stadium was redeveloped in 2002/2003 maybe those resources should have went into tuam and a venue in the hurling heartland.

Should still happen. Pearse is worth a fortune. Sell it, clear the debts and redevelop a proper 15 to 20k stadium in athenry with CP standard pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is there any redeeming thing about Pearse Stadium?
    From experience a horrible place to get in and out of.
    From watching this and other games from there on TV, the sun always seems blinding and makes it impossible to follow the sliotar and distinguish the teams apart.
    And by the looks of the pitch and what always seems to be a gale force wind trough the place, a horrible place to play a game too.

Quite a few actually. It's one of the more pleasantly-located stadia in the country, with ample scope to kill time before and after a match along the seafront. The facilities in it are good and the much-improved pitch is generally quite dry. Very few visibility problems in it for spectators.

The two main faults leveled at it are

(a) that there's always gale force winds blowing at it (there isn't); show me the GAA ground in Ireland, a small island on the edge of a large ocean, that isn't affected by wind at any time. (See inland Omagh last week).

(b) it's a nightmare to get in and out of. Yes, it is. And actually more the former than the latter. A crowd of > 10k usually gums up traffic, particularly to those who don't know the proper routes. (Trade secret, use Eyre sq.) Not the only stadium to suffer from this fault; e.g. Croker, PUC, McHale park when Mayo and Galway meet.

Time is always added on and the team that loses always moans. Fact of life and they’d need to get over it and look closer to home.

Or you could stop the clock for time wasting and injuries and then well... the times the time.. but sure that would make too much sense.

• Advertisement

Or you could stop the clock for time wasting and injuries and then well... the times the time.. but sure that would make too much sense.

Time keeping should be taken away from referees completely.

But the fact remains that it you’re 6 points up in a game you need to win then you can only blame yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

MfMan wrote: »
    Quite a few actually. It's one of the more pleasantly-located stadia in the country, with ample scope to kill time before and after a match along the seafront. The facilities in it are good and the much-improved pitch is generally quite dry. Very few visibility problems in it for spectators.

(a) that there's always gale force winds blowing at it (there isn't); show me the GAA ground in Ireland, a small island on the edge of a large ocean, that isn't affected by wind at any time. (See inland Omagh last week).

(b) it's a nightmare to get in and out of. Yes, it is. And actually more the former than the latter. A crowd of > 10k usually gums up traffic, particularly to those who don't know the proper routes. (Trade secret, use Eyre sq.) Not the only stadium to suffer from this fault; e.g. Croker, PUC, McHale park when Mayo and Galway meet.

I'd agree with most of that except the Wind section. It's the only stadium I know of built beside the Atlantic,like on a beach. It blows a gale there more than any other stadium in Ireland. How you can single out a single episode of wind in Omagh is mad. Yes it does get windy at other stadiums. That's a given but by god does it blow way more in Pearse Stadium.

To say Salthill is no windier than anywhere else is madness, especially to pick out a single example during a storm for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

To say Salthill is no windier than anywhere else is madness, especially to pick out a single example during a storm for comparison.

I wonder why its called Salt hill? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Time is always added on and the team that loses always moans. Fact of life and they’d need to get over it and look closer to home.

Something I found amusing from 2018;

I was in Croke Park for both semi finals, I remember at the end of the drawn extra time in the Galway v Clare game a large section of Galway fans let their disgust be known by booing the referee for ending the game 45 seconds after the announced added time, time during which Clare scored their equaliser. (A Galway player had gone down injured during the added time for nearly a minute so the referee was correct.

They weren't complaining three weeks later however in the 10th minute of the 8 minutes added time when they were desperately chasing an equalising (or winning) score in the final! (The 10 longest ******* minutes of my life!!)

Not having a pop at Galway though, every county would probably have reacted the same.

Very bad form by Duignan though to be making such a big deal out of it. He should understand by now that the number of minutes announced is always a minimum. I understand it hurts to throw a game away like that but he's been around long enough now, like you say, Offaly need to look at themselves rather than blaming external factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Michael Duignan was in tears few years back as he tweeted proudly from Croke Park after Offaly had beaten Dublin in w league match. He was so emotional as he felt Offaly were back. So long since Offaly were back in the bigtime.

Roll onto yesterday where poor Michael was more than likely in floods of tears once more as the Faithful were most definately back; in the doldrums!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭conor05

Any word on coin toss today for a- finals?

Also a venue for Antrim v kerry final?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

conor05 wrote: »
    Any word on coin toss today for a- finals?

Also a venue for Antrim v kerry final?

No nothing yet. Would it not make sense just to do the toss on Allianz league Sunday last night and get it over with?

Waterford will be home to Kilkenny, time and date all that needs to be decided. (Due to rule where if one team had two home games and the other team had three, the team with two home games gets home advantage)

Coin toss for Galway v Wexford. (they both had 3 home games)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Is it known who the winners play in the semi's or is that an open draw.?

washman3 wrote: »
    Is it known who the winners play in the semi's or is that an open draw.?

Repeat pairings kept apart, otherwise open draw.

If Waterford and Galway win; open draw as both have played Limerick.

If Kilkenny and Wexford win; open draw as both have played Limerick.

(In both cases above, Clare and Limerick kept apart)

If Waterford and Wexford win; semi finals are Clare-V-Waterford and Limerick-V-Wexford.

If Kilkenny and Galway win; semi finals are Clare-V-Galway and Limerick-V-Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭brookville

Waterford will be home to Kilkenny, time and date all that needs to be decided. (Due to rule where if one team had two home games and the other team had three, the team with two home games gets home advantage)

Coin toss for Galway v Wexford. (they both had 3 home games)

Kilkenny had two home games. Laois gave up home advantage due to the amount of games being played in portlaoise and the pitch not able for it.kk v Waterford is being tossed for

brookville wrote: »
    Kilkenny had two home games. Laois gave up home advantage due to the amount of games being played in portlaoise and the pitch not able for it.kk v Waterford is being tossed for

Oh yeah I forgot about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hindsight is 20/20 and when pearse stadium was redeveloped in 2002/2003 maybe those resources should have went into tuam and a venue in the hurling heartland.
    puttingbin two stadiums would have been large waste of resources especially when both would have been outside the main population base in the county. Galway should be location of stadium for inter county games but maybe just not in salthill.
    MfMan wrote: »

problem is there should be proper park and ride services for any large game in salthill and that would get a lot of traffic away from actual salthill as well as more people using public transport to ganes
    Time keeping should be taken away from referees completely.

But the fact remains that it you’re 6 points up in a game you need to win then you can only blame yourself.
    it doesnt need to be. a ref should always be involved in timekeeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

problem is there should be proper park and ride services for any large game in salthill and that would get a lot of traffic away from actual salthill as well as more people using public transport to ganes

Tried Park and Ride once for a Mayo game absolute shambles (I don't think it was very well thought out)

• Advertisement

Hopefully this is the last year we have league quarter finals. Absolutely no need. Top 2 straight to semi finals. No messing about. Free up a week in the calender.

After Limerick hit the sun two weeks back Tipperary are off on a training camp today n sunnier climes. Nice to be able to afford that and all the panel get off work. Two counties not short of a bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Grats

Hopefully this is the last year we have league quarter finals. Absolutely no need. Top 2 straight to semi finals. No messing about. Free up a week in the calender.

The counties voted in favour of quarter finals for financial benefits. Tipp don't need the money!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tried Park and Ride once for a Mayo game absolute shambles (I don't think it was very well thought out)
    Shame there isnt a proper PnR system as would make day of games so much better for everyone.
    After Limerick hit the sun two weeks back Tipperary are off on a training camp today n sunnier climes. Nice to be able to afford that and all the panel get off work. Two counties not short of a bob.
    and theres plenty others who can do same.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Based on what we've seen so far, I'd class the division 1 teams performance as follows.

Good

Limerick- Look the best team and squad in the country at the moment.
    Clare- Seem to be responding well to Lohan.
    Waterford- Look a viable contender to get out of Munster this year
    Westmeath- Stayed up after being stuck in the harder side of the draw. Genuinely unlucky not to get something off Cork

Solid

Wexford- Blooded a few new lads and kept their unbeaten streak against Kilkenny going
    Kilkenny- Made the knockout stage while missing a lot of players due to club commitments early on
    Laois- Stayed up and avoided the relegation playoff
    Galway- Tried a lot of players and managed to finish with two solid wins against Cork and Tipperary to make the knockout stage
    Tipperary- Looked the least bothered team in the league so hard to classify their league as bad. Fadeouts in some games a concern.

Bad
    Carlow- Relegated. Don't need to say anything else.
    Dublin- That non-performance against half a Kilkenny team was dreadful.
    Cork- Finished behind Waterford and Galway sides going through big changes and level with a Tipperary side that were not all that bothered. Dreadful against Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford at home to Galway Saturday 3pm.

Kilkenny at home to Waterford Sunday 2pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wexford at home to Galway Saturday 3pm.

Kilkenny at home to Waterford Sunday 2pm.

Is the semi finals draw made

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭big_drive

The corona virus could effect the whole thing yet when you see parades in little towns and villages called off. You’ll have more gathered at the hurling Than in some of those places. I can see all sports coming under a bit of pressure to call a halt to upcoming events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭big_drive

Basketball Ireland after calling off all games now. As the biggest association I’d say the GAA will have to follow, can’t see anything going ahead after the coming weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

big_drive wrote: »
    Basketball Ireland after calling off all games now. As the biggest association I’d say the GAA will have to follow, can’t see anything going ahead after the coming weekend

Ya I was thinking the same, a lot of counties will have club championships going on in April too so will they move to cancel all games both club and inter county

Advertisement