Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,784 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

QFs
    Galway vs Wexford (coin toss for home advantage)
    Kilkenny vs Waterford (coin toss for home advantage)

Limerick and Clare in the semi finals

Anyone knw the semi final draw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Antrim two late goals to draw with Offaly! That's Offaly out AFAIK.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Is there any redeeming thing about Pearse Stadium?
    From experience a horrible place to get in and out of.
    From watching this and other games from there on TV, the sun always seems blinding and makes it impossible to follow the sliotar and distinguish the teams apart.
    And by the looks of the pitch and what always seems to be a gale force wind trough the place, a horrible place to play a game too.

Pitch is top class. As for blaming the stadium for the sun... that seems a little unfair... always a gale, and traffic is a pain. Most in Galway would prefer it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Antrim two late goals to draw with Offaly! That's Offaly out AFAIK.

6 up after 6 minutes of injury time, staggering collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Galway gave Tipp a bit of a pummeling in.that second half. Too many Tipp players disappeared without much of a fight. I dont see much pace in that Tipp forward line. Lovely strikers and skills but the two McGraths, Bubbles, Forde dont have blistering pace and the Galway backs devoured them. A worrying collapse by Tipp but Galway were very hungry and will have a big say in the All Ireland this year. A 15 point turnaround against the All Ireland champions is a good days work.

• Advertisement

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    6 up after 6 minutes of injury time, staggering collapse.

No excuses. Antrim were already in final. Offaly at home. 6 ahead in injury time. A huge collapse and another year in the hurling wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭conor05

No excuses. Antrim were already in final. Offaly at home. 6 ahead in injury time. A huge collapse and another year in the hurling wilderness.

Sure kerry bet Offaly anyway so it is what it is.

Two best teams in the final kerry v Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Galway gave Tipp a bit of a pummeling in.that second half. Too many Tipp players disappeared without much of a fight. I dont see much pace in that Tipp forward line. Lovely strikers and skills but the two McGraths, Bubbles, Forde dont have blistering pace and the Galway backs devoured them. A worrying collapse by Tipp but Galway were very hungry and will have a big say in the All Ireland this year. A 15 point turnaround is the All Ireland champions is a good days work.

I think its a bit early for any team to be worried and the conditions this time of year make games and performances hard to judge. Galway did look good today in the fitness, pace and motivational terms.
    But this obsession with pace has been around a few years now, I remember was it Cork that Tipp played first last year and I was listening to Saturday Sport. Nearly everyone was banging on about Corks pace and youth, speed, athleticism and any word they could think of and how tipp were done and didnt have any of those things, they were too old and too slow. Needless to say the match predictions that day from the 'experts' on the radio didnt age well.

I expected Limerick (because of the drama we saw in the county pre-Christmas), Waterford, Wexford and Clare to be in the knockout stages, because of the top teams, these needed it most. Clare and Waterford after last years disappointment and Wexford because Davy need to keep that feel good momentum going. Cork and Tipp, probably doesnt affect their motivation, confidence or Championship planning at all.

I think its a bit early for any team to be worried and the conditions this time of year make games and performances hard to judge. Galway did look good today in the fitness, pace and motivational terms.
    But this obsession with pace has been around a few years now, I remember was it Cork that Tipp played first last year and I was listening to Saturday Sport. Nearly everyone was banging on about Corks pace and youth, speed, athleticism and any word they could think of and how tipp were done and didnt have any of those things, they were too old and too slow. Needless to say the match predictions that day from the 'experts' on the radio didnt age well.

I expected Limerick (because of the drama we saw in the county pre-Christmas), Waterford, Wexford and Clare to be in the knockout stages, because of the top teams, these needed it most. Clare and Waterford after last years disappointment and Wexford because Davy need to keep that feel good momentum going. Cork and Tipp, probably doesnt affect their motivation, confidence or Championship planning at all.

Worrying in that the same happened to Galway in League final couple of years back. Tipp were pummelled from start to finish and had no answer. Their season never really recovered. Im sure that would have been in the minds of some Tipp players today but once Galway upped the pace and tempo Tipp had no answers. It was very similiar to that Leagur final hammering. A 15 point turnaround today is not good for Tipp no matter how its dressed up.

Worrying in that the same happened to Galway in League final couple of years back. Tipp were pummelled from start to finish and had no answer. Their season never really recovered. Im sure that would have been in the minds of some Tipp players today but once Galway upped the pace and tempo Tipp had no answers. It was very similiar to that Leagur final hammering. A 15 point turnaround today is not good for Tipp no matter how its dressed up.

Hard to see how its comparable. This was a league group match in early March, played in Galway in awful conditions. Tipp were leading by about 7 at half time but were facing into the wind the second half and Galway got the run when they needed and made better use of the conditions. fair enough it was a winner takes all for another league game but in terms of timeline in preparation for the championship and where teams are in their plan its not comparable to a league final 4 weeks out from the championship.
    The league final youre talking about was one sided from start to finish if I remember correctly, Galway dominated from start to finish, Tipp lead by 7 here at half time.
    We beat Galway by 8 (same as Galway won by today) a couple of weeks ago and amassed a hell of a lot of wides alone the way, 15 in all I think, league group game, at home, couple of weeks in the difference but thats more comparable with today than the 2017 league final. Were you saying Galway should be worried then?

• Advertisement

Hard to see how its comparable. This was a league group match in early March, played in Galway in awful conditions. Tipp were leading by about 7 at half time but were facing into the wind the second half and Galway got the run when they needed and made better use of the conditions. fair enough it was a winner takes all for another league game but in terms of timeline in preparation for the championship and where teams are in their plan its not comparable to a league final 4 weeks out from the championship.
    The league final youre talking about was one sided from start to finish if I remember correctly, Galway dominated from start to finish, Tipp lead by 7 here at half time.
    We beat Galway by 8 (same as Galway won by today) a couple of weeks ago and amassed a hell of a lot of wides alone the way, 15 in all I think, league group game, at home, couple of weeks in the difference but thats more comparable with today than the 2017 league final. Were you saying Galway should be worried then?

Not nice for Tipp to be hammered by Galway again. That League final hammering is still fresh in my memory. Im sure the Tipp lads still remember it so disappointing to be hammered again by the same tea. I like Tipp myself but that was brutal today in second half. I understand it's early days but i wasn't one bit impressed with Tipo last weekend and felt Waterford (even with a man less) were the bettrr team for large parts. Only for lots of poor wides they could have beaten a sluggish looking Tipp. So thats two poor enough performances in succession.

Lets wait and see but my optimism for Tipp has reduced a bit. Getting out of Munster will be hard enough. Beating Waterford in the first match looks a tougher prospect by the game. As it stands i'd fancy Waterford to possibly nick a big win there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

From watching this and other games from there on TV, the sun always seems blinding and makes it impossible to follow the sliotar and distinguish the teams apart.
    And by the looks of the pitch and what always seems to be a gale force wind trough the place, a horrible place to play a game too.

No, not a bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Galway gave Tipp a bit of a pummeling in.that second half. Too many Tipp players disappeared without much of a fight. I dont see much pace in that Tipp forward line. Lovely strikers and skills but the two McGraths, Bubbles, Forde dont have blistering pace and the Galway backs devoured them. A worrying collapse by Tipp but Galway were very hungry and will have a big say in the All Ireland this year. A 15 point turnaround is the All Ireland champions is a good days work.

Totally agree. Look at the way Limerick ran them into the ground last year in the Munster final. If you let them hurl they ll kill you but if you run them they struggle. Weve known that for years. You cant let Tipperary dictate the terms of combat..win that and your half way there.

Not nice for Tipp to be hammered by Galway again. That League final hammering is still fresh in my memory. Im sure the Tipp lads still remember it so disappointing to be hammered again by the same tea. I like Tipp myself but that was brutal today in second half. I understand it's early days but i wasn't one bit impressed with Tipo last weekend and felt Waterford (even with a man less) were the bettrr team for large parts. Only for lots of poor wides they could have beaten a sluggish looking Tipp. So thats two poor enough performances in succession.

Lets wait and see but my optimism for Tipp has reduced a bit. Getting out of Munster will be hard enough. Beating Waterford in the first match looks a tougher prospect by the game. As it stands i'd fancy Waterford to possibly nick a big win there.

No doubt there could and probably will be a suprise in Munster this year, could be ourselves Cork or Tipp tbh. Although Clare have a tough schedule. Wouldnt suprise me at all.
    I just think a game from 3 years ago doesn't have as big a mental effect on the All Ireland champions as you do. We got an absolute hammering off Tipp in 2015, it was disgusting, then we were embarrassing against a 14 man tipp team in 2016, a game if we had a bit of ambition we could have won. Those games didnt do us any harm in the Munster final last year and they were championship matches.

No doubt there could and probably will be a suprise in Munster this year, could be ourselves Cork or Tipp tbh. Although Clare have a tough schedule. Wouldnt suprise me at all.
    I just think a game from 3 years ago doesn't have as big a mental effect on the All Ireland champions as you do. We got an absolute hammering off Tipp in 2015, it was disgusting, then we were embarrassing against a 14 man tipp team in 2016, a game if we had a bit of ambition we could have won. Those games didnt do us any harm in the Munster final last year and they were championship matches.

Only time will tell. Limerick certs to come out of Munster imo. Hard to pick another two. I'd possibly go for Cork and Tipp but nothing would really surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

seems the galway county board want a presence in the city where GAA isn't the top dog, Tuam seems the undoubted home of football up there while i think athenry and ballinasloe are the traditional hurling venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Grats

Tipp gave away 21 frees today, Galway 12. Had Galway fouled as much as Tipp we'd have had over 40 frees, similar to the Tipp v Cork match. The refs got a pasting in the media for awarding so many frees. Galway showed that the refs are not necessarily to blame.

Anthony Daly and Derek McGrath were very critical of the refs on The Sunday Game. But selectively analysed just FOUR throw ball incidents in that Tipp v Cork match and completely ignored the other 38 foils.Then went on to hammer refs without apportioning any blame on players - or the way they're being sent out to foul at all costs.

Unfortunately that's the way hurling is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

seems the galway county board want a presence in the city where GAA isn't the top dog, Tuam seems the undoubted home of football up there while i think athenry and ballinasloe are the traditional hurling venues.

Not sure it's what our county board want. It's the only fit for purpose stadium in Galway. Great work in Tuam so hopefully that will be able to hold a few more league games going forward. Championship for stadium in Galway outside for Pearse Stadium is not a current reality.

Grats wrote: »
    Tipp gave away 21 frees today, Galway 12. Had Galway fouled as much as Tipp we'd have had over 40 frees, similar to the Tipp v Cork match. The refs got a pasting in the media for awarding so many frees. Galway showed that the refs are not necessarily to blame.

Anthony Daly and Derek McGrath were very critical of the refs on The Sunday Game. But selectively analysed just FOUR throw ball incidents in that Tipp v Cork match and completely ignored the other 38. Then went on to hammer refs without apportioning any blame on players - or the way their being sent out to foul at all costs.

Unfortunately that's the way hurling is gone.
    disagree completely,with the exception of 2 or 3 the standard of intercounty refs is very poor, too many whistle happy, too fussy and apply no common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

When is the coin toss for home advantage done?

• Advertisement

When is the coin toss for home advantage done?

I presume it’s tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Grats

disagree completely,with the exception of 2 or 3 the standard of intercounty refs is very poor, too many whistle happy, too fussy and apply no common sense.

You disagree that players aren't to blame for the fouls blown, plus the many that aren't????

Had today's ref blown equal number for both teams you might argue that he was fussy, or whatever. But Galway committed 12, and Tipp their usual quota!

Until we acknowledge that hurling is slipping down the football route, it will end up there fast. And the refs won't be to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

You disagree that players aren't to blame for the fouls blown, plus the many that aren't????

Had today's ref blown equal number for both teams you might argue that he was fussy, or whatever. But Galway committed 12, and Tipp their usual quota!

Until we acknowledge that hurling is slipping down the football route, it will end up there fast. Abd the refs won't be to blame.

There's surely some Twitter stat man, who breaks down what the frees are awarded for? The spare arm is a pure scourge at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Lots of anger in Offaly over the performance of the ref in their crucial Division 2 game against Antrim. This will be a huge talking point in the coming days I feel. Having led by 6 points, Antrim got two late goals and snatched a draw. Let's just say that the ref was on the excessive side 're added time in both halves. The draw sees Antrim v Kerry in the Division 2a final, with the winners set for Division 1 NHL hurling in 2021.

The debate 're poor referees is a huge issue in the GAA. But this thread is about the NHL 2020 and this has been another bad day for Offaly hurling.

Time is always added on and the team that loses always moans. Fact of life and they’d need to get over it and look closer to home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

Time is always added on and the team that loses always moans. Fact of life and they’d need to get over it and look closer to home.

Agree with all the above, the fact that Offaly didn't have the composure to close out the game should be the main focus for Michael Fennelly and the management team, along with his players, rather than throwing insults towards the referee, who to be fair according to reports was bad for both teams.

Agree with all the above, the fact that Offaly didn't have the composure to close out the game should be the main focus for Michael Fennelly and the management team, along with his players, rather than throwing insults towards the referee, who to be fair according to reports was bad for both teams.

Kerry bet Offaly and Antrim drew with Offaly so it’s a Kerry v Antrim final.

Everything else is irrelevant now.

Big prize for Kerry or Antrim playing division 1 hurling in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really thought that Mick Fennelly would have been able to sort out the mess that is Offaly hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Until we acknowledge that hurling is slipping down the football route, it will end up there fast. And the refs won't be to blame.
    plenty of the frees awarded today were harmless in my opinion, hurling is in a great state the championships of the last 2 or 3 years have been as good as any we can remember yet the attitude of the of the referring in the last few weeks suggest there's major issues in the game. Can fathom how you think hurling is going down the football route....

• Advertisement

Not sure it's what our county board want. It's the only fit for purpose stadium in Galway. Great work in Tuam so hopefully that will be able to hold a few more league games going forward. Championship for stadium in Galway outside for Pearse Stadium is not a current reality.
    Hindsight is 20/20 and when pearse stadium was redeveloped in 2002/2003 maybe those resources should have went into tuam and a venue in the hurling heartland.

Advertisement