Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

stunts in and around the N11, tries one on me he'll be answering to the Guards. It may still not go anywhere but it will definitely soften the cough
    Ha, it was the 133 that has been the cause of every issue I've ever had with BE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Ha, it was the 133 that has been the cause of every issue I've ever had with BE.

Interesting. 133 for the most deliberately malicious piece of driving I've ever encountered on the roads as well. Sprayed me with the wiper jets, then slowly squeezed me into the kerb over the course of several hundred metres, despite having two empty lanes to his right. I was so close to going under the back wheels.

I should've gone to the Guards straight away, but didn't have a reg. BE didn't do anything, afaics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

Weepsie wrote: »
    That seems completely absurd and like it would be rather more expensive than getting actual third party liability insurance but on the other hand it cuts out spineless insurance companies

Plenty of large companies self-insure.

buffalo wrote: »
    Interesting. 133 for the most deliberately malicious piece of driving I've ever encountered on the roads as well. Sprayed me with the wiper jets, then slowly squeezed me into the kerb over the course of several hundred metres, despite having two empty lanes to his right. I was so close to going under the back wheels.

I should've gone to the Guards straight away, but didn't have a reg. BE didn't do anything, afaics.

Same here, matched my speed on the N11 with two empty lanes to his right. Then merged into me, my rims were scratching the kerb as I slowed and my elbow was on the bus as I leaned over onto the footpath. He admitted it was intentional on video, and nothing. I remained quite calm. but in hindsight, while not a proponent of violence, I regret not pulling the stop engine lever when he was at the lights and then giving the Judge a good reason to give me a life sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭blackwhite

That seems completely absurd and like it would be rather more expensive than getting actual third party liability insurance but on the other hand it cuts out spineless insurance companies

It's pretty standard for any company with a large fleet of vehicles.

Either obtain insurance with significant individual claim excesses or a very large cumulative deductible (and sometimes a combination of both) - or else formally set up an internal captive insurer that can access the re-insurance market to cover off exceptionally large risks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Same here, matched my speed on the N11 with two empty lanes to his right. Then merged into me, my rims were scratching the kerb as I slowed and my elbow was on the bus as I leaned over onto the footpath. He admitted it was intentional on video, and nothing. I remained quite calm. but in hindsight, while not a proponent of violence, I regret not pulling the stop engine lever when he was at the lights and then giving the Judge a good reason to give me a life sentence.

Have had the exact same thing happen with a 133 on a Sunday morning on a completely empty n11 cos I wasn't in the shytty cycle lane :rolleyes:
    I've had several others with the 133 over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's pretty standard for any company with a large fleet of vehicles.

Either obtain insurance with significant individual claim excesses or a very large cumulative deductible (and sometimes a combination of both) - or else formally set up an internal captive insurer that can access the re-insurance market to cover off exceptionally large risks.

Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann are two companies, that have insurance exemption.
    An Post may be another one.
    An Garda Siochana and the Irish Army also are exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

tnegun wrote: »
    Just got straight to Leixlip or Celbridge garda station (Thats Applegreen in Celbridge right?) if its open. All traffic watch will do it is log it and then you'll have to try make an appointment with the Guard its assigned to some time in the next 2-6 weeks. If you go in and make a statement print off a couple of pics and have the footage on USB you've done all the leg work and have a better chance of a prosecution and guard taking an interest IMO

Managed to get down to the station tonight - having a 5 month old with the temperament of a 3 month old leaves me little free time and very little energy to do much in that time! Felt good to avoid TrafficWatch though.

After watching it and taking a statement, the Garda asked me to email a compact clip of the manoeuvre so as not to fill the inbox presumably. I specifically asked for a 'dangerous overtake of a cyclist' FCPN. Will see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

North King Street (Dublin) this morning - instinctively slapped the side of a van which made contact with me as it suddenly veered across the on-street cycle track presumably to park. Luckily I wasn't going fast at the time due to traffic and shitty weather conditions. The driver seemed to have gotten a bigger shock than I did and, in fairness, he was very apologetic making me immediately regret what I did..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've hit 2 cars this year, and 1 in memory before. I've no guilt. As far as I'm concerned each time, the driver put my life in danger, and deliberately so. 1 was a taxi driver, I recommended that his passenger get out, 1 a plain clothes garda that more than any other incidenct I wish I had a camera for, especially as they then started making up laws that don't exist, and the little scrote last week.

If they are that close, and more to the point, if they touch you in anyway, them getting a shock from a slap to the side of the vehicle deserves no sympathy in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...If they are that close, and more to the point, if they touch you in anyway, them getting a shock from a slap to the side of the vehicle deserves no sympathy in my opinion.
    I know what you're saying but, when a driver is immediately apologetic, I always regret that instinctive few seconds of anger. Perhaps I'm a bit soft!

(I've no regrets when they get bolshy about it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I hit a pedestrian yesterday evening. General traffic was stopped, queuing, he was looking to cross the road, and stepped out into the cycle lane, then paused.

I was ready for it, and hit the brakes, but due to the wet and the wind being behind me, I slid into him. I managed to slow to the point that I came to a stop as I reached him, and the contact was basically a result of him putting his hands out. Neither of us were hurt, but we both got a shock.

It was a lesson for me really, regarding the stopping power of my bike in the wet, and the invisibility of my 320 lumen front light.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Breezer wrote: »
    I hit a pedestrian yesterday evening. General traffic was stopped, queuing, he was looking to cross the road, and stepped out into the cycle lane, then paused.

I was ready for it, and hit the brakes, but due to the wet and the wind being behind me, I slid into him. I managed to slow to the point that I came to a stop as I reached him, and the contact was basically a result of him putting his hands out. Neither of us were hurt, but we both got a shock.

It was a lesson for me really, regarding the stopping power of my bike in the wet, and the invisibility of my 320 lumen front light.

Deer in the bikelights moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just managed to break in time before going into the back of a car yesterday I barely flicked his back bumper in the end.

All caused by the car in front of me braking suddenly for pedestrians but the real cause was the taxi parked up on double yellows on a bend of 2 of the busiest streets in Limerick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I've hit 2 cars this year, and 1 in memory before. I've no guilt.
    i once slapped the side of a car on st martin's row (for those who don't know it, it's the narrow road linking chapelizod to knockmaroon hill); she overtook into oncoming traffic and pulled it right on top of me, i ended up with about one foot space between the side of her car and the kerb. open handed slap on the rear passenger window, it was a very reflexive defensive reaction from me.
    remarkably, she ended up driving along st martin's row (at rush hour) shouting through the passenger window at me at probably something like 20km/h, with oncoming traffic having to brake and swerve. there was a bit of back and forth about calling the gardai, and then she informed me she *was* a garda, so i shouted back 'right, i'm ringing the gardai and reporting you for impersonation' at which point she floored it and drove off.

Steoller wrote: »
    Deer in the bikelights moment?

I don’t think so. I don’t think he saw me at all until he heard me skidding towards him. Onus was on me to see him, of course, which I did, I just couldn’t stop. Combination of wet weather, a tailwind and my tyres, I suspect. They’re threadless Schwalbe Kojaks. I should probably get something grippier for the winter.

I felt very bad because when I realised he was fine, I just cycled off without saying anything. He was falling over himself apologising to me. I just got such a fright. If he happens to read this, I’m sorry for being a prick!

Actually, on the subject of grippier tyres, I think someone here (CramCycle?) uses the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. How do you find them for traction/braking in the wet? I love the durability of the Kojaks, but it’s not the first time I’ve had an issue with them in the wet (I skidded braking and went head over heels right in front of a security camera on the ramp into the car park at work last year!)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don’t think so. I don’t think he saw me at all until he heard me skidding towards him. Onus was on me to see him, of course, which I did, I just couldn’t stop. Combination of wet weather, a tailwind and my tyres, I suspect. They’re threadless Schwalbe Kojaks. I should probably get something grippier for the winter.

I felt very bad because when I realised he was fine, I just cycled off without saying anything. He was falling over himself apologising to me. I just got such a fright. If he happens to read this, I’m sorry for being a prick!

Actually, on the subject of grippier tyres, I think someone here (CramCycle?) uses the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses. How do you find them for traction/braking in the wet? I love the durability of the Kojaks, but it’s not the first time I’ve had an issue with them in the wet (I skidded braking and went head over heels right in front of a security camera on the ramp into the car park at work last year!)

I love using Schwalbe. I find they have the right balance between slick and grooved for someone like me why is very image conscious about my bike.

Not sure how much better or worse than any other similar tyre they are but I like em

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Grooves make very little difference in road bike tyres. Their presence on car tyres is purely to shift water out from under the tyre, but that's not necessary on a road bike because the contact point is tiny and there's no issue with water getting 'trapped' under the tyre.

Grooves make very little difference in road bike tyres. Their presence on car tyres is purely to shift water out from under the tyre, but that's not necessary on a road bike because the contact point is tiny and there's no issue with water getting 'trapped' under the tyre.

Hmm. I suppose slowing down in the rain with a wind at my back and having just come down a hill might be an option so...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

I have those on my commuter.

They aren't the fastest but are rock solid with good grip imo.

An absolute pain to get on the rim though. I don't think I'd be able to change a tube at the side of the road. The puncture resistance is great so I doubt I'll ever need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Marathons are ok for grip. Not the grippiest but I've never actually felt the need to put on anything grippier, so good enough but still be careful.

There is a knack to getting them on the rim, (Zip ties are very helpful) but you won't want to be doing it on the side of the road in the rain. Touch wood I have never got a puncture with them through something sharp getting through the tire. Keep them pumped up though, I got a couple of pinch flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Marathons are ok for grip. Not the grippiest but I've never actually felt the need to put on anything grippier, so good enough but still be careful.

There is a knack to getting them on the rim, (Zip ties are very helpful) but you won't want to be doing it on the side of the road in the rain. Touch wood I have never got a puncture with them through something sharp getting through the tire. Keep them pumped up though, I got a couple of pinch flats.

These are why I carry a travel bottle of soap in the saddlebag - to lube the tyre over the rim.

There is a way to get Marathons easily, memory tells me you have to leave them in the hollow in the centre, and hold them there as they are so rigid, they naturally pop out. The larger sizes are also easier to fit IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Steoller wrote: »
    These are why I carry a travel bottle of soap in the saddlebag - to lube the tyre over the rim.

You can now consider this excellent idea to be well and truly stolen!

You can now consider this excellent idea to be well and truly stolen!

Handy for washing the hands too if you slip a chain or something, saves you getting grubby bartape. Squirt of the water bottle and soap and another squirt of the bottle.

• Site Banned Posts: 1 CharlieS031

Hi! I am new to the group, and was wondering if someone can help me choose an ideal tyre for ice. I was riding the other day and slipped a couple of times. My climacell app shows that the temperatures are going to dip a bit further after the rains are over. So I am thinking I must b prepared for it. I have a Schwinn touring bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You can get studded tyres. I've never seen anyone use them here. I've a mate in Sweden who uses them in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Effects wrote: »
    You can get studded tyres. I've never seen anyone use them here. I've a mate in Sweden who uses them in the winter.

I have marathon ice tyres fitted to old wheels and swap them when it's dodgy out. They're great for black ice but you still need to take care and be aware that cars etc will still skid. I bought them over 10 years ago and they're still going strong. Main drawbacks are the weight and noise. I'm also on a cross bike so have the clearance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Effects wrote: »

If you want truly 365 riding then best bet is a fatbike. Thats what the scandis use.

Mary1-cover.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I had a near miss a couple of years ago in the snow. Had recently gotten a hybrid bike with narrower tyres, not realising how much less grip they would have. Bike came out from under me on a straight stretch of road and a car behind me had to stop suddenly as I landed out in front of them.

Foolish mistake that I'll never make again!

Advertisement