Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ED E wrote: »
    If you want truly 365 riding then best bet is a fatbike. Thats what the scandis use.

Nah, that's what you think they use. Most of them use really old, beat up bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Saturday morning on Grange road, mammy motorist didn't like that I was on the road and not in my little cycle lane. She beeped me, squeezed through and broke the red light heading towards Nutgrove SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, that's what you think they use. Most of them use really old, beat up bikes.

Speaking of Fat Bikes, I like watching this around this time of year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW1q8nObJkU&t=6s

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Saturday morning on Grange road, mammy motorist didn't like that I was on the road and not in my little cycle lane. She beeped me, squeezed through and broke the red light heading towards Nutgrove SC.

Another fine abomination of a cycle lane ending up ahead at those lights.

JazzyJ wrote: »
    Another fine abomination of a cycle lane ending up ahead at those lights.

I used to ride that way myself, it stops and dumps you onto the road a few times along there, passes a bus shelter and further up you'd usually have cars parked on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I'm really getting sick of this roundabout between cars overtaking me at the island, which happened again yesterday - even when I'm taking the lane; and having to pull evasive maneuvers to avoid those who don't bother yielding to me when I'm on it.

Its close to home, so I do go through it a lot, but I don't think that I encounter as many incidents on any other junction or roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Steoller wrote: »
    These are why I carry a travel bottle of soap in the saddlebag - to lube the tyre over the rim.
    Overtook on a roundabout, inside the same lane, turning right. Camera catches it but only my front one so misses where he slows and pulls in on my rear wheel. Off to the gardai tomorrow, they were at the roundabout but didn't feel bothered to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Cycling home yesterday evening on south quays taking the lane (bus/cycle lane after O'Connell Bridge).

1st driver in 04 merc pulls over from 2nd lane in on top of me, I slap the side of the car a few times to alert her of my presence as she obviously can't see all the lights and high vis and pull up to inspect her windscreen papers. She apologises a couple of times and all in order so I continue on.

A km or so later and a group of lads in a 10 octavia again pull in on top of me so I let a roar at the open passenger window, passenger looks and driver continues on and straight into the CircleK pushing me to the kerb. I follow to see tax expired since Aug 2020 so car would be impounded if there was a checkpoint. None of them said a word so I just said to expect a call from the guards.

Why can't we have a similar system to the UK with action taken such as in this example where driver gets 3 points, £232 fine plus costs for an ordinary enough incident:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No camera this morning but holy sh1t the DB beside me gave me a fright, and i in return scared the sh1t out of his passengers. Coming up to a bus stop he started to overtake and pull in. I dropped anchor and let a roar. Skid stopped and thankfully I did as he only tuned in to what was happening as he stopped at the kerb. I made my way around to the look of terrified passengers.

Thankfully, a) I wasn't crushed and b) he put his hands up straight away, apologised, said he honestly doesn't know how he missed me and no one to blame but himself.

Well the nest few junctions and lights turned into a Mrs. Doyle sketch where I was trying to tell him he was OK, and he kept apologising.

He certainly won't lose attention again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Missed a pedestrian by a whisker this morning. Cycling on the new cycle lane in Dun Laoghaire, a lady stepped out onto the path from between two cars about 5m in front of me. Had to swerve around her last second with a few inches to spare, thankfully i was going slowly and there was nobody coming towards me.

She seemed to think it was my fault judging by her reaction. Having used that path frequently enough I'm very slow and cautious in certain parts of it, and only for that I probably would have hit her.

I'm a big fan of the infrastructure there but everytime im on it, I cant help but think its an accident waiting to happen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She's probably off telling everyone about the cyclist that nearly knocked her down on the footpath today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Chris871 wrote: »

I'm a big fan of the infrastructure there but everytime im on it, I cant help but think its an accident waiting to happen.

Infrastructure doesn't have accidents.
    Idiots who don't look before crossing a road are the accidents waiting to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Samuel Beckett this afternoon, guy in front of me in the cycle lane on convention centre side of the bridge kept going at full tilt through a red, when pedestrian lights was green, and almost took out someone who was crossing the road/lane. Not sure how he held it together through the wobble when he swerved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Infrastructure doesn't have collisions.
    Idioys who don't look before crossing a road are the collisions waiting to happen

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The absolute state of this driving.. Around kids too:

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1336700679847632901?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

The absolute state of this driving.. Around kids too:

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1336700679847632901?s=19

That’s horrendous. I think they reported it -now let’s see what the Guards do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Ferris wrote: »
    That’s horrendous. I think they reported it -now let’s see what the Guards do.
    invisible-typewriter.gif

The Gardaí don't seem to be as proactive on the socials as some of their UK counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

invisible-typewriter.gif

The Gardaí don't seem to be as proactive on the socials as some of their UK counterparts.

They can be just as useless in real life unfortunately, in my experience anyway. Especially in relation to close passes. Depends who you get I suppose.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

just saw this bully in a Porsche having to back down...

https://twitter.com/CitizenW0lf/status/1337175598486138883

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I love the look the dog gives at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That is bizarre. I assumed he was planning on parking on that side, but apparently he eventually continued on down the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jesus, what a dose. There was a time when Porsche drivers could actually drive properly. They were car enthusiasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

VonLuck wrote: »
    I love the look the dog gives at the end!

It's like even the dog is saying "What a f****n ar**hole!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

South Hill Avenue in Blackrock seems to be a favourite for bloody eejits trying to force me off the road when coming at me in my lane. This happens at least once per week.

Had some elderly driver try to force me out of his way and when I politely explained to him that I don’t appreciate his behaviour, especially when he jerked his car towards me by another half meter. He resorted to calling me a f’ing foreigner. I suppose one can always be racist when the argument has been lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

qwertz wrote: »
    South Hill Avenue in Blackrock seems to be a favourite for bloody eejits trying to force me off the road when coming at me in my lane. This happens at least once per week.

Had some elderly driver try to force me out of his way and when I politely explained to him that I don’t appreciate his behaviour, especially when he jerked his car towards me by another half meter. He resorted to calling me a f’ing foreigner. I suppose one can always be racist when the argument has been lost :)

The cream of the country in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

bazermc wrote: »
    The cream of the country in Blackrock

Then I had some tool on my backside going up Wilton Terrace just for that driver to turn into the tennis courts. Maybe I need a bike cam :)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

Nearly mowed down a youngster yesterday. Country road near ballincollig. I know the road, came upon her at a bend so hung back until the straight afterwards. Noted she wasn't very visible but thought nothing more of it. Round corner, road clear, indicate and move right over to give max clearance. Accelerate to pass and she does a hard right with no warning. I slammed on and my Abs let me steer back to the left to avoid her. Fricking close one. I'm glad I was paying attention. The road was clear ahead so I was watching her. Helmet on the bars.... Best place for it..... She got a right fright though and I stopped and explained a few things

If you know anyone who's a bit lax on the safety please tell them to put that lid on and wear something high viz.

If you know anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

As a driver and cyclist of 20 years this has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard yet "high vis doesn't add to visibility" then throws in anecdotal statement abouts blending into hedge rows, the exact opposite of what high vis is designed for.
    I spend my days driving and cycling around west Wicklow, blessington lakes and surrounding mountains. Lack of awareness is down to the individual be they in a car or on a bike. Genuinely dumbfounded by your argument.

Just an edit to add I'm well aware cyclists don't like being asked or told to wear high vis but to detract from the blindingly obvious benifts of any extra visibility aid is simply stupid. Excuse my language but I think it fits in well with the tone

Here's a thread you can read for some context: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88491882

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

And as pointed out this is getting off the thread topic. No point arguing about things that people have a no budge point of view on.

Advertisement