Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear f*cking lord, you really cannot win. On the main road you'd be given out too for not using quieter roads. Use quieter roads and you get this sh1t. Cycle on the path and people give you dirty looks because whether you sow down or not for passing them to close, you cycle on the road to avoid pissing off peds and you have motorists trying to skim you even though they can see the lane is blocked by others.

What do people f*cking want.

Hope your son is OK

Son is fine, blissfully unaware, didn't see the big deal at all. Oh to be a dreamer teenager. There wasn't a near miss, or an issue really, so nothing for him to be bothered about, to be fair. Just a really stupid dude, too small minded to admit he maybe should have approached things differently, and too thick to come up with a retort that made any sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some lads on the GAA forums tonight complaining that the new yellow flou sliotars are too hard to see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

One I witnessed this morn

I had a car over take me on the river road missing an oncoming car by inches. I was sure I was about to witness a serious crash and had braced myself to bail and all. First time I didn't have a camera in a while too. It was an absolutely ridiculous place to attempt the overtake, and they carried on even after I stuck my arm out to warn them to hold back.

I don't want to be hit, but I sure as hell don't won't to be ringing for an ambulance for someone else's f*ckwittery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

More bonkers parking up by hell fire club/Masseys wood this morning.

Double yellow lines don’t apply on a Sunday right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

bazermc wrote: »
    More bonkers parking up by hell fire club/Masseys wood this morning.

Double yellow lines don’t apply on a Sunday right?

Any chance of the fuzz popping up there, you'd think after the number of times the fire brigade and ambulances have gotten caught up that way by w@nkers parking badly that they would be more proactive. Young Garda Reilly could spin up at the start of the shift, ticket 40 cars and spend the rest of his shift writing them up if he has nothing else to be at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

They were ticketing people for a while there and the problem looked to have gone away for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ho-Lee-Shyte !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Translation:
    This is absolutely my biggest nightmare and cities like Cologne are still building infrastructure that plans for these types of accidents.

https://twitter.com/PJUllrich/status/1319600970632921091

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

KevRossi wrote: »
    Ho-Lee-Shyte !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Translation:
    This is absolutely my biggest nightmare and cities like Cologne are still building infrastructure that plans for these types of accidents.

https://twitter.com/PJUllrich/status/1319600970632921091

Holy f*ck, there can't have been 5cm between the wheel and his head, that was insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have seen that video being used on twitter as a 'cyclists! wear helmets!' message, but thankfully the general reaction was 'you watched that video and think the main thing that would have prevented harm was a helmet?'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I must have missed the update in the recent rules of the road. Apparently if you need to overtake cyclists in one of the biggest city parks in Europe, you just barge by and expect what's ever coming against you to stop. Happened to be on early circuits of the Phoenix park on about half a dozen times. Absolutely wedged with cars and abandoned everywhere, even where there was lines of bollards with no parking in them

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I must have missed the update in the recent rules of the road. Apparently if you need to overtake cyclists in one of the biggest city parks in Europe, you just barge by and expect what's ever coming against you to stop. Happened to be on early circuits of the Phoenix park on about half a dozen times. Absolutely wedged with cars and abandoned everywhere, even where there was lines of bollards with no parking in them

What time were you there?

I was there from 9.15-10.45ish. I left due to the volumes of traffic and people pulling out without looking. It stopped being enjoyable.

Saw a garda car nearly take out a cyclist, though they were indicating to turn right, and the cyclist went to overtake on the right for some reason

Had another few drivers going very. very slowly evidently looking for parking.

Had some incidents of cyclists coming right at me in my lane too, and some making very sudden changes in their line when I had nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Was there in the early afternoon. had someone pull out from Ashtown castle in front of me when I had right of way with minutes of arriving, so that set the scene. Also had someone overtake me at the wellington monument - I was trying to get to the green cycle lane. Car overtook me and mounted in the cycle lane in use. 2 clear wheels on it, with bikes coming against the car. Families. kids. Lots of close passing going up by the upper glen roads - because of the cars parked either side and the amount of cyclists, cars were just buzzing through _ was paranoid about getting doored so was keeping out. One motorist got impatient an stared beeping at a family crossing at the zoo - that desperately needs a pedestrian crossing as it's an accident waiting to happen - same motorist sped up to cut off the three cyclists heading out at the round about towards park gate street. All in all an unnecessarily unpleasant and stressful experience. It's a public park FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

Not that it's any consolation, but its not just when cycling. Any non-motorist peasants can be ignored apparently. Today I got hit -twice- by wing mirrors whilst running (Glencullen area). Not wearing a helmet, so probably my own fault. Some people just don't give a crap.

Parking was also nuts around Tibradden and Cruagh. The cops really should do a sweep the next sunny weekend day. The parking fines could go a long way to paying for the lockdown!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not a near miss but more of a rant. Was cycling on a road with traffic islands every few hundred metres.

Was cycling past one of them, staying on the left hand side of the road when a car decides to join up with me. Leaving very little space between myself and the car. Scary wondering are they going to hit you being so close.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not a near miss but more of a rant. Was cycling on a road with traffic islands every few hundred metres.

Was cycling past one of them, staying on the left hand side of the road when a car decides to join up with me. Leaving very little space between myself and the car. Scary wondering are they going to hit you being so close.
    If there's a risk of you being left short of space by an overtaking car then take Primary Position on the road until they can pass you safely.
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/08/07/you-can-cycle-in-the-centre-of-the-road-says-revised-rules-of-the-road/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

If there's a risk of you being left short of space by an overtaking car then take Primary Position on the road until they can pass you safely.
    https://irishcycle.com/2019/08/07/you-can-cycle-in-the-centre-of-the-road-says-revised-rules-of-the-road/

Very good, thanks for this. I didn't know I can do this. But I'm guessing now that I do know, will I have drivers being dícks and giving me the horn to move? But fcuk them, I'll cycle in a safe way.

Was thinking yesterday when out on country roads. What is all the hedgerow on Irish roadsides for. Is it to protect farmers land and would it be a problem to clear it on narrow bends to help viability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Very good, thanks for this. I didn't know I can do this. But I'm guessing now that I do know, will I have drivers being dícks and giving me the horn to move? But fcuk them, I'll cycle in a safe way.

No doubt you will, but when they do, consider that if somebody blasts you with the horn while you're taking primary position in limited space you know you've successfully blocked an incompetent and dangerous driver from endangering your life for the sake of a couple of seconds (or, as is the sad reality with a lot of bad driver maneuvres, for the sake of absolutely no benefit at all)

Good and competent drivers will recognise that there was never a opportunity to make a proper safe overtake anyway so by riding where you are you're not blocking them from anything.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Was thinking yesterday when out on country roads. What is all the hedgerow on Irish roadsides for. Is it to protect farmers land and would it be a problem to clear it on narrow be ds to help viability?
    Not really in my opinion.
    The advice is that you drive/ride/whatever in a manner in which you can stop within your line of vision. Hedgerows will grow and can't be cut during the nesting season (when they grow quickest) so people should travel safely.
    If people want to travel fast in a car then they need to be responsible about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was thinking yesterday when out on country roads. What is all the hedgerow on Irish roadsides for. Is it to protect farmers land and would it be a problem to clear it on narrow be ds to help viability?

It would certainly be a problem for all the wildlife that live in the hedgerow. It would probably result in drivers doing higher speeds on average too.

• Advertisement

It would certainly be a problem for all the wildlife that live in the hedgerow. It would probably result in drivers doing higher speeds on average too.

Never thought of the wildlife tbh. Just noticed from watching European cycling that ourselves and the UK are the only ones seem to plant this hedgerow on every road and was wondering why

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Was thinking yesterday when out on country roads. What is all the hedgerow on Irish roadsides for. Is it to protect farmers land and would it be a problem to clear it on narrow bends to help viability?

It's to do about bio diversity. Lots of animals and plants survive because of the hedgerows.

Better we ask road users to adjust driving behaviour to conditions, rather than look to bend to their will.

It's to do about bio diversity. Lots of animals and plants survive because of the hedgerows.

Better we ask road users to adjust driving behaviour to conditions, rather than look to bend to their will.

I'm not disagreeing but those hedgerows were planted long before we had a clue about biodiversity so that's not why they were planted. But I'm not against it as a reason to keep them

I'm not disagreeing but those hedgerows were planted long before we had a clue about biodiversity so that's not why they were planted. But I'm not against it as a reason to keep them
    I think they were planted as field boundaries to stop animals wandering (and possibly for defence?). They are also usually accompanied by a drain to help allow excess water to leave the soil.

I think they were planted as field boundaries to stop animals wandering (and possibly for defence?). They are also usually accompanied by a drain to help allow excess water to leave the soil.

Probably why you don't see them too much on the roads in the Tour de France. Not much chance of all those yellow sunflowers and wheat stalks running over into the next field

Probably why you don't see them too much on the roads in the Tour de France. Not much chance of all those yellow sunflowers and wheat stalks running over into the next field
    You often see that here also where tillage farmers keep hedges right down because the headlands around the sides if a field tend to have lower yields due to the shade, amongst other things.

Never thought of the wildlife tbh. Just noticed from watching European cycling that ourselves and the UK are the only ones seem to plant this hedgerow on every road and was wondering why

Didn't kimmage reference this in Rough Ride?

Something to do with how the continental cyclists were so good with crosswinds or something because they haven't grown up protected from winds by hedgerows

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

You often see that here also where tillage farmers keep hedges right down because the headlands around the sides if a field tend to have lower yields due to the shade, amongst other things.

Some of the NCD hedgerows come with instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

Some of the NCD hedgerows come with instructions 😀

• Advertisement

Seanmk1 wrote: »
    Some of the NCD hedgerows come with instructions 😀
    Could be dangerous trying to read that as you cycle by!

Advertisement