Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

i suspect the 'i look forward to hearing' was a reference to the previous video where a cyclist and a left turning motorist nearly collided, but where in the previous instance there certainly was not consensus that the motorist was to blame.

It wasn't lost on me but there are several subtle but obvious differences (in my opinion). Life is full of nuances. This one the cyclist had not slowed (nor did they have too), I can't see an indicator, they were practically beside the car and so on. The last one they had slowed, they were behind, the car had indicated. In the first one you could argue either way but regardless both involved parties seemed grand with it. This one it was a clear lack of observation on behalf of the motorist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had a scrote pass me close enough that I could touch the back of his car without having to move my arm an awful lot(or probably half the car of I stretched)

F*cker had been on my wheel and kept revving behind me and passed me with parked cars to one side and line of traffic on the other. I had the lane. He could've used the entire lane had he waited a second, but didn't want to.

He didn't like that I could touch his car as a result of his dangerous driving, so pullers over, tried to push me off the bike , got in his car and drove it at me before I think he had a realisation that was a bad idea.

No camera and it'll just take a but you touched his car Garda for it to be dismissed l

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Weepsie wrote: »
    Had a scrote pass me close enough that I could touch the back of his car without having to move my arm an awful lot(or probably half the car of I stretched)

F*cker had been on my wheel and kept revving behind me and passed me with parked cars to one side and line of traffic on the other. I had the lane. He could've used the entire lane had he waited a second, but didn't want to.

He didn't like that I could touch his car as a result of his dangerous driving, so pullers over, tried to push me off the bike , got in his car and drove it at me before I think he had a realisation that was a bad idea.

No camera and it'll just take a but you touched his car Garda for it to be dismissed l

Touching his car was your means of alerting him of your presence and proof he was driving too close, what were you supposed to do let him crush you against the line of parked cars?

A couple of months back I slapped the side of a large private bus on the south quays as it drove from lane 2 into 1 where I was cycling before trying to pull in further up to a bus stop. Upon the couple of sharp slaps the driver immediately veered back into lane two and then acknowledged his error. Obvious he never looked/saw me despite broad daylight and a strong front light and the fabled life saved that is a high viz vest. In other words without touching his vehicle I would have been forced off the road and likely pinned against the bus stop.

So too only in addition to performing a dangerous overtake which should be a fine and penalty points he also assaulted you in trying to knock you off the bike and then threatened you further with his car. Needs taking off the road if we have proper enforcement.

Go to the gardai, that's assault, on top of the close overtake which he would have to admit if he wants to argue the close overtake. If your lucky the scrote will be stupid enough to admit any of it happened, if your unlucky he is smart and will just say he hasn't a notion what the Garda is on abut.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If he's close enough for you to touch his car, he's too close.

Mind you, I've given video evidence of similar close passes, where the wing mirror slapped my outstretched hand in passing, and the Gardai declined to prosecute.

• Advertisement

Yeah going to ring traffic watch anyway, but they might say go to Garda station which I can do tomorrow.

Rang traffic watch. He said he'd log it no problem, but advised going to a station too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where did it happen? i.e. which station will you have to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Make the complaint as being assault.
    The Gardai will take that more seriously than an alleged close pass (and I say alleged because it can’t be proven as it’s his word versus yours about a distance).

They can investigate the assault and see if he will admit pushing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Had a similar run in, not worth disclosing your address to them for 2wks community service. Just isn't.

where did it happen? i.e. which station will you have to go to?

Whitworth road, so it'll be ballymun, Cabra or Bridewell most likely

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or mountjoy maybe?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think this is the map of stations and streets within the district (I'm in the middle of something so can't check)
    https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=647d12feb1444d63bb24f672ff6d9ffa

or mountjoy maybe?

Possibly. Really you should be able to go to any station. They log it, send it to relevant station and they follow it up.

Made a statement, said they'd follow up next week (did say this week) and see if they'll follow it up.

I said, I'd have been happy with someone just having a word orignally, but if he's getting that angry and driving that aggressively, a less confident cyclist or pedestrian is getting badly injured.

I had a close encounter this evening on a roundabout (Profile Park roundabout in Clondalikn).
    I was travelling from 6o'clock and coming off at 12o'clock. A driver comes from the business park (@9o'clock) and without stopping or slowing enters the roundabout as I'm passing his junction. The driver proceeds to exit the roundabout at the 12o'clock exit I had been taking. I reckon only for slowing and swerving, I'd be in hospital now.
    The driver didn't appear to look towards me at any stage.
    https://streamable.com/l7p0g7

Given the likleihood of the gardai doing anything about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I had a close encounter this evening on a roundabout (Profile Park roundabout in Clondalikn).
    I was travelling from 6o'clock and coming off at 12o'clock. A driver comes from the business park (@9o'clock) and without stopping or slowing enters the roundabout as I'm passing his junction. The driver proceeds to exit the roundabout at the 12o'clock exit I had been taking. I reckon only for slowing and swerving, I'd be in hospital now.

Given the likelihood of the Gardai doing anything about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of reporting.

Seth, Please report and if they fail to prosecute insist on it being elevated. That would annoy me so much I'd ask my solicitor about a civil case if the garda did nothing.

I wasn't looking isn't a defense.

Personally I think a cycling group should take on some of these obvious cases to court to highlight the rubbish the Garda don't prosecute
    Hope you are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Given the likleihood of the gardai doing anything about it, I'm not sure if it's worth the effort of reporting.
    Seth, please report it to traffic watch at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like a typical cycle through Wellington road roundabout in the Park for me :pac:

Steoller wrote: »
    Seth, please report it to traffic watch at least.
    Called TW just there.
    Spent about 17 minutes on hold before despair set in and hung up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

Called TW just there.
    Spent about 17 minutes on hold before despair set in and hung up.

Try again another time.

Think I was only on hold a few minutes when I called a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Due to changing laptops this got mislaid for 3.5 months. Too late to be going to the Guards with this now so if anyone has the link to Revenue to report UK reg plates with no VRT (apparently paid) I'd appreciate it here please. As this is a quiet road between Ashford and Newtownmountkennedy I was relatively certain, despite the UK plates that this was no tourist. Impatience beginning to show as soon as they approach so I moved out to the centre to ensure they stayed behing me:

As I knew they were gonig to pass regardless I had no option but to move in. The swerve as they passed dangerously showed the malice:

Then 2 weeks later I'm driving in Bray and here it is again, still on the space saver tyre. I got my son to take a still with the reg clear on it:

I've since seen it twice, still on yellow plates, in Bray. This one still rankles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

tnegun wrote: »
    Its a year since the airport hopper incident so likely a waste of time doing anything now, on a positive note I got a call today but the guard wasn't able to download the footage from anywhere I uploaded it so I'll have to drop it to the station. She did seem quite interested so hopefully will follow it through to the end.

Result! The guard in question couldn't of been more on the ball or interested. I dropped the footage in on USB yesterday, driver produced their docs this morning and was shown the footage. They made some excuses about not being close to me or the approaching cars. Guard is proceeding with a fine for careless driving and said its €120 and 3 points (Online says thats €80 and 2 points) either way the driver will think next time they pass a cyclist.

https://streamable.com/dmvu23

I've since seen it twice, still on yellow plates, in Bray. This one still rankles

Quite likely they live just off the Boghall, rake of car around without paying VRT. If your still annoyed, take a spin around there, and follow Enfilades advice and report it to revenue with the address. I'd say they would be happy to seize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

tnegun wrote: »
    Result! The guard in question couldn't of been more on the ball or interested. I dropped the footage in on USB yesterday, driver produced their docs this morning and was shown the footage. They made some excuses about not being close to me or the approaching cars. Guard is proceeding with a fine for careless driving and said its €120 and 3 points (Online says thats €80 and 2 points) either way the driver will think next time they pass a cyclist.

https://streamable.com/dmvu23

Garda may be confusing careless driving (2 penalty points and an €80 fine) with dangerous overtaking of a cyclist (3 penalty points and €120 fine). Either way it's a punishment, heartening to hear - thanks for reporting and pursuing.

buffalo wrote: »
    Garda may be confusing careless driving (2 penalty points and an €80 fine) with dangerous overtaking of a cyclist (3 penalty points and €120 fine). Either way it's a punishment, heartening to hear - thanks for reporting and pursuing.
    That would be the one that has had just four fines and points awarded in the past 12 months :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1330884943589896192?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

Due to changing laptops this got mislaid for 3.5 months. Too late to be going to the Guards with this now so if anyone has the link to Revenue to report UK reg plates with no VRT (apparently paid) I'd appreciate it here please. As this is a quiet road between Ashford and Newtownmountkennedy I was relatively certain, despite the UK plates that this was no tourist. Impatience beginning to show as soon as they approach so I moved out to the centre to ensure they stayed behing me:

Jesus Christ. The last video terrified me.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

That would be the one that has had just four fines and points awarded in the past 12 months :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/dlrcycling/status/1330884943589896192?s=19

One of those was mine (must put that footage up here now actually)

• Advertisement

Is there a case to be made for Sy and Seth being the same man? Their f**k sakes are strikingly similar :pac:

I'm guessing same part of the country lads?

Advertisement