Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Fibre Broadband, Really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

jmayo wrote: »

But don't a lot of jackeens want to transplant half of Africa & Asia to Achill so surely they must have some decent broadband to keep in contact with their relatives back home or at least possibly surf some of those internet sites recruiting them for exotic travel and adventures in the Middle East.

Poulaphuca.
    And yes we do want to put foreigners out there, you're all so bloody ugly and inbred a bit of mixing might help you

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Poulaphuca.
    And yes we do want to put foreigners out there, you're all so bloody ugly and inbred a bit of mixing might help you

That rich coming from a dub.
    And yes we know that the dubs bred with anything and everything.
    Sure why else were ye so enthralled with the British Army. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Poulaphuca.

Ah now my mother tells me i am good looking.

jmayo wrote: »
    That rich coming from a dub.
    And yes we know that the dubs bred with anything and everything.
    Sure why else were ye so enthralled with the British Army. ;)

Yes Brits, immigrants, all sorts we'd get up on, that's why the best looking people are here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water where i live comes from reservoirs nearby in Wicklow. It is a lot easier for services to he provided to large populations rather than one off housing but you farming folk dont seem to be very bright when it comes to these matters.
    So back to attacking the poster when you can't attack the point?

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Why? Am I entitled to Agricultural Subsidies living in my flat in Drumcondra too?

Of course you are. All you have to do is buy or rent some land, show that you're working it and send your application in March.

Online.

Because that's mandated by regulations.

Which can get rather difficult when you don't have access to broadband but use of it is mandated.

I can forward you some websites showing land for sale/rent when you indicate what part of the country you wish to proceed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

So we cancel the Metro and let Dublin die so people in Achill can stream Netflx faster?

That's so far from what I posted that you obviously dont get the point I was making

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yes Brits, immigrants, all sorts we'd get up on, that's why the best looking people are here.

Easy ehh.

What was that old joke about the working girl that came over from Britain to service the sailors when the JFK was in town claiming that the natives were giving it away for free.

You do know must dubs are descended from country people somewhere along the line, something a fair amount of you forget.

Sure a lot of the much vaunted dub football team have country roots, including from counties they have beaten for the All-Ireland ala Mayo and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to agree with OP on this, and I'm a rural household.

I heard plan is to take 7 years. So they are going to get everyone 50meg or something? 50meg will be slow in 3 years time, never mind 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NIMAN wrote:
    I heard plan is to take 7 years. So they are going to get everyone 50meg or something? 50meg will be slow in 3 years time, never mind 7.

If they manage to get fiber to every home, speeds will probably never be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There’s an election in May, hence the mad panic to get this signed off. It’s purely political.

It’s ridiculous. The three billion could be far better spent. It’s so typical of here , talk about it for years and commit to it , when technology is already there to address the issue. And certainly by the time this project is delivered , if it’s delivered , the newer technology will be even better. They have this issue in Germany in some areas and opted for wireless. I’d trust their judgement far more then the morons here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It’s ridiculous. The three billion could be far better spent. It’s so typical of here , talk about it for years and commit to it , when technology is already there to address the issue. And certainly by the time this project is delivered , if it’s delivered , the newer technology will be even better. They have this issue in Germany in some areas and opted for wireless. I’d trust their judgement far more then the morons here
    I know, think of how many methadone clinics could be built for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think you may do some more research

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

You need to understand rural dwellers are every bit entitled to have broadband access as our urban counterparts. Society dude.

Yes all well and good if you pay for it. Small villages should have access to this fiber roll out, one off housing shouldn’t unless your going to pay for the infrastructure required to get the fiber to your house, ie poles, fiber cable, overhead hardware etc.

This should not be a Dublin vs the rest thread. The nbp is a good idea if it was being rolled out to all population centers, ie villages with 100 or more dwellings/buisness.
    Delivering it to one off housing is nuts and does not make sense.

Why? Am I entitled to Agricultural Subsidies living in my flat in Drumcondra too?

Yes you are, every time you buy food produced in Ireland you are receiving an agricultural subsidy. Your food would be far far more expensive without them, making food cheaper is one of the main reasons they exist.

Fibre broadband is vital for rural Ireland, a crowd of jackeens complaining about it should pull their head out of their arse and realise people living rurally benefit from almost none of the services they get, nor do we want most of them but BB is one that we do and we are getting it.

Yes you are, every time you buy food produced in Ireland you are receiving an agricultural subsidy. Your food would be far far more expensive without them, making food cheaper is one of the main reasons they exist.

Fibre broadband is vital for rural Ireland, a crowd of jackeens complaining about it should pull their head out of their arse and realise people living rurally benefit from almost none of the services they get, nor do we want most of them but BB is one that we do and we are getting it.

If you don't get any services, why don't you live in an urban area? You can't have your cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

This is the time when we should be rolling out large infrastructure projects across the country.

You cannot ignore rural Ireland either. Still makes up majority of population and if you continue to cut services and not investing in other areas you will end up with a powder keg like we have seen in France.

When they are rolling out the fibre to my house I wonder if they could lay some sewage pipes at the same time. At present I have to run a pipe about 50 yards to the small river at the back of the house but it can be very awkward at times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

When they are rolling out the fibre to my house I wonder if they could lay some sewage pipes at the same time. At present I have to run a pipe about 50 yards to the small river at the back of the house but it can be very awkward at times.

Whats awkward about it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Less success and infrastructure in Dublin means less money for you culchie plebs in your ugly bungalows, dont bite the hand that feeds you

Funny you mention food. You wouldn't last long if us country folk stopped supplying you food from our farms.

And as for pie chart man. How much of that revenue was generated in Dublin, and not funneled through it just for tax purposes.

BTW I'm loving this thread. Its like the glory days of after hours. Great slagging back and forth.

• Advertisement

Whats awkward about it? ;)

You know yourself the way the pipe gets clogged every now and then and I have to throw bleach and all sorts of stuff in to free it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Water where i live comes from reservoirs nearby in Wicklow. It is a lot easier for services to he provided to large populations rather than one off housing but you farming folk dont seem to be very bright when it comes to these matters.

So it's wicklows water then not Dublin's ?

If you don't get any services, why don't you live in an urban area? You can't have your cake and eat it.

I don't have no service, we have less services most of which we either part or fully fund for ourselves on top of paying large amounts of tax which provides these services to townies. Aside from BB I don't want nor need many of the other services but they are still provided and used by people in urban areas yet they complain like spoilt children when the very rare occurrence happens of a service being provided to rural areas.

I couldn't stand living in a shoebox in an urban area to be honest and Im afraid to tell you that I'm fully entitled to do this and some vital services should be provided to the large proportion of the population who live outside cities. It's borderline discrimination some of the bull you hear out of jackeens especially.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Funny you mention food. You wouldn't last long if us country folk stopped supplying you food from our farms.

And as for pie chart man. How much of that revenue was generated in Dublin, and not funneled through it just for tax purposes.

BTW I'm loving this thread. Its like the glory days of after hours. Great slagging back and forth.

They wouldn't last a month in the country. Look at those urban folk in I'm a celebrity get me out of here. Put a feed of critters on top of them and they're ready to faint! A country lad would let his ears back and gobble them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I don't have no service, we have less services most of which we either part or fully fund for ourselves on top of paying large amounts of tax which provides these services to townies. Aside from BB I don't want nor need many of the other services but they are still provided and used by people in urban areas yet they complain like spoilt children when the very rare occurrence happens of a service being provided to rural areas.

I couldn't stand living in a shoebox in an urban area to be honest and Im afraid to tell you that I'm fully entitled to do this and some vital services should be provided to the large proportion of the population who live outside cities. It's borderline discrimination some of the bull you hear out of jackeens especially.

Aren't you also wanting a ring road built that'll cost about e600 million so you can drive everywhere faster? Despite the research showing it won't help traffic congestion in the city and you admitting that peak traffic hours don't actually effect you? :pac:

There's a lot to be said for going back to the old village/town setup. Best compromise IMO

What services in particular are part or fully funded by yourselves?

tom1ie wrote: »
    What services in particular are part or fully funded by yourselves?

Sewage, water (private water scheme), waste water, our road was improved with all work (aside from taring) being either done by us, funded or partly funded by us. Significant costs in adding a new electricity connection and higher electricity costs, when we do get fibre BB (which eir stopped 200m from the house) we will pay to actually get in ran into the house.

We provide all our own transport, provide our own waste collection and deposit at a collection facility, our own recycling and deposit at a recycling facility.

Also in a time of major housing shortage we are providing land to build my own new house on and will construct a house that would not exist were it not for providing our own land to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Why in the name of holy god would you have a cake and not be able to eat it.
    The only point of having a cake is to indeed eat the bloody thing.

Just saying......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Also in a time of major housing shortage we are providing land to build my own new house on and will construct a house that would not exist were it not for providing our own land to do so.

LOL

yeah you building a one off country house is a real contribution to the major housing shortage, i thought the planning departments were tasked with preventing this burdensome carry on. :pac:

• Advertisement

Sewage, water (private water scheme), waste water, our road was improved with all work (aside from taring) being either done by us, funded or partly funded by us. Significant costs in adding a new electricity connection and higher electricity costs, when we do get fibre BB (which eir stopped 200m from the house) we will pay to actually get in ran into the house.

We provide all our own transport, provide our own waste collection and deposit at a collection facility, our own recycling and deposit at a recycling facility.

So you had to pay to get a new electricity connection from the ESB.
    Do you have to pay to get a fibre broadband connection under this new national broadband plan?

Advertisement