Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Fibre Broadband, Really?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There’s an election in May, hence the mad panic to get this signed off. It’s purely political.
    Perhaps. FF, the alternative government, are supportive of the concept, just not this process. It's good politics for those with an eye on their rural vote and FF will just co-opt the plan and claim some credit. They might even propose more bells and whistles to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If I stay subscribed to this thread, will I find out why my taxes go to fund Dublin Bus when I never actually use it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Dublin is dysfunctional when it comes to infrastructure such as transport, services and housing. Anything that stems the flow of people and businesses to the capital helps the national economy

So we cancel the Metro and let Dublin die so people in Achill can stream Netflx faster?

MrAbyss wrote: »
    So we cancel the Metro and let Dublin die so people in Achill can stream Netflx faster?

A little melodramatic don't you think? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Your false equivalence means I'm beginning to suspect your only here to ramp up a non existent division.

Or else it's just grade A level stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Less success and infrastructure in Dublin means less money for you culchie plebs in your ugly bungalows, dont bite the hand that feeds you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Less success and infrastructure in Dublin means less money for you culchie plebs in your ugly bungalows, dont bite the hand that feeds you

and less money for infrastructure outside dublin means more people in dublin multyplying the problems you already have - careful what you wish for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Didn't I read somewhere that this deal/plan involves running the fibre cables needed alongside Eir's phone line network, and basically 'renting' the pole space off Eir (at a cost of many millions per year).

No wonder Eir pulled out of the bidding process when they realised the (only) other bid/option involved Eir earning huge annual revenue for basically doing nothing!

Eir didn't want the contract, but they'll probably end up doing all the work anyway as a sub-contractor to the company that did win the contract (who have no experience of installing high speed internet service).

So everyone still gets their cut of the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,088 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Without a doubt we need to be encouraging investment and companies to relocate outside of Dublin to other URBAN areas like the other cities and big towns (eg portlaoise).
    This will take the pressure of Dublin.
    If we can do this plus invest in Dublin’s infrastructure then we will be on the right track.
    However this, everyone get fiber broadband at the cost of 5b no matter where you live is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Get back up to your flat before I ring your probation officer!

• Advertisement

Didn't I read somewhere that this deal/plan involves running the fibre cables needed alongside Eir's phone line network, and basically 'renting' the pole space off Eir (at a cost of many millions per year).

No wonder Eir pulled out of the bidding process when they realised the (only) other bid/option involved Eir earning huge annual revenue for basically doing nothing!

Yes and add in the fact ESB networks already have a fiber backbone system traversing the length and breadth of the country...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

tom1ie wrote: »
    He’s dead right though. If ya want high speed broadband, move to an urban centre.

If the argument is to move to where services are available with minimal cost, shouldn't the population of Dublin be moving west, closer to the Shannon for their water supply?

And out into Meath and Kildare to be closer to their waste management centers?

And out into the middle of nowhere to be nearer to their supply of electricity from turbines/power stations/quarries/cement factories to be closer to the services they need?

If the argument is to move to where services are available with minimal cost, shouldn't the population of Dublin be moving west, closer to the Shannon for their water supply?

And out into Meath and Kildare to be closer to their waste management centers?

And out into the middle of nowhere to be nearer to their supply of electricity from turbines/power stations/quarries/cement factories to be closer to the services they need?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

No.

So some services can be provided to those that want them without moving closer to the nearest point of provision and others not?

What's the differentiation for that reasoning and who gets to make it?

So some services can be provided to those that want them without moving closer to the nearest point of provision and others not?

What's the differentiation for that reasoning and who gets to make it?

Water where i live comes from reservoirs nearby in Wicklow. It is a lot easier for services to he provided to large populations rather than one off housing but you farming folk dont seem to be very bright when it comes to these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Water where i live comes from reservoirs nearby in Wicklow. It is a lot easier for services to he provided to large populations rather than one off housing but you farming folk dont seem to be very bright when it comes to these matters.
    Well it will be coming from the Shannon shortly as well. Pretty sure the farmer will have to pay for the broadband. It not like the water in urban areas you know where 7 billion has been spent and the bill is still climbing. Granted water is more important. But then again been more important why would anyone not want to pay the fair share for what they use.

A little melodramatic don't you think? :rolleyes:

and people in rural Ireland are never melodramatic about their 'plights'?

Melodrama always been, and remains the only economic and development plan Bungalow Bliss Ireland ever had or will ever have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nope. You need to understand the concept of value for money.
    Offer fbb to urban centers.
    If people want fbb, move to urban centers or get people to pay for a fbb connection to their premise themselves.
    Urban centers in this instance can still mean small villages.

You need to understand rural dwellers are every bit entitled to have broadband access as our urban counterparts. Society dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

bungalow dwellers with their large gardens eh

Garden size must have a major effect on Broadband speed. Never knew that.:D

The first underground rail system for Dublin was implemented in 1973. It has been rebranded and canceled constantly since. The city has some of the worst traffic congestion in Europe.

There is still no sign of it on the horizon. People stuck in traffic 3 hours a day are told 'sure buses (stuck in the same traffic) are enough' by mostly rural TDs who determine the fate of the GDRs commuters. Successive governments have failed to properly develop an absolutely vital modern commuter rail system for the city. It has got to the point now whereby multinationals are even complaining about it.

However Xhamster to Ballymagash for the same cost as both the MetroLink and DartUNDERGROUND combined = BLANK CHEQUE written by same TDs.

and you wonder why people are angry about this Rural Broadband bull****?

• Advertisement

You need to understand rural dwellers are every bit entitled to have broadband access as our urban counterparts. Society dude.

Why? Am I entitled to Agricultural Subsidies living in my flat in Drumcondra too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Nermal

Sure, so long as you pay what it costs and don't demand the rest of us to subsidise you.

speaking of which - how does this tie in with the 2040 plan of tripling the size of cities outside of Dublin?

Seems to me Rural Broadband is completely contradictory to this agenda?

Why? Am I entitled to Agricultural Subsidies living in my flat in Drumcondra too?

Living in a flat in drumcondra? Son you are entitled to all the subsidies going, I cannot think of a more miserable existence.

Living in a flat in drumcondra? Son you are entitled to all the subsidies going, I cannot think of a more miserable existence.

Drumcondra is a great area, walking distance to the centre of Dublin, amazing pubs and restaurants. You'd probably find it intimidating with all the people and life in the place though, maybe even some foreign accents.

:D
    Drumcondra is a great area, walking distance to the centre of Dublin, amazing pubs and restaurants. You'd probably find it intimidating with all the people and life in the place though, maybe even some foreign accents.

So you reckon being able to walk to O'Connell street meeting 'all the people' and 'hearing some foreign accents' means you are living the life!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

The first underground rail system for Dublin was implemented in 1973. It has been rebranded and canceled constantly since. The city has some of the worst traffic congestion in Europe.

There is still no sign of it on the horizon. People stuck in traffic 3 hours a day are told 'sure buses (stuck in the same traffic) are enough' by mostly rural TDs who determine the fate of the GDRs commuters. Successive governments have failed to properly develop an absolutely vital modern commuter rail system for the city. It has got to the point now whereby multinationals are even complaining about it.

However Xhamster to Ballymagash for the same cost as both the MetroLink and DartUNDERGROUND combined = BLANK CHEQUE written by same TDs.

and you wonder why people are angry about this Rural Broadband bull****?

My bad you are correct everything should stop until we get Dublin sorted.

:D

So you reckon being able to walk to O'Connell street meeting 'all the people' and 'hearing some foreign accents' means you are living the life!

Yes us sophisticated city folk are social animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Why? Colossal money to spend on fiber to every rural home when 5G is around the corner.

Billions for something that will obsolete in a year or two.

1. 5G is not the answer. A solution to hook up the most isolated and rural areas for sure but it's not a replacement for fixed line BB.

2. Fibre will not be obsolete in a year or two.

3. General election on the horizon. This is vote buying. Don't expect 75% of the dwellings to actually ever be hooked up or hooked up in the next 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

5G is useless in rural areas and fibre will never be obsolete, it's the pinnacle of internet connectivity, but Starlink will be available next year and unlike conventional satellite, these are low-earth orbit so latency is much lower. It's around 30ms, which is comparable to Virgin Media. It a disgrace that the taxpayer should have to subsidise the broadband of those who built cheap bungalows in the backarse of nowhere, when high speed broadband is commercially viable in urban areas. This country doesn't have a broadband problem, we have a one off housing problem

We're about to waste €3bn on something that technology will solve in the near future and it will be commercially viable. The only reason why the government are doing is for votes, they don't have the testicular fortitude to explain to bungalow dwellers that us urban dwellers pay more money for our homes to get services like high speed broadband. Instead they make bogus comparisons to the electrification of Ireland to play up the importance of this project.

Another thing, it's mostly Dublin who is paying for this. County Dublin makes up 28.3% of our population, but generates 57% of our tax revenue and only 2.3% of homes in the intervention area are located in County Dublin. Basically, what the government are doing is taking urban dwellers tax money and using it to buy votes from people who built cheap bungalows and have much larger gardens than urban dwellers.

Well Piechart man/woman/whatever are we going to start going down this shyte route about what Dublin contributes ?
    What if South County Dublin started complaining about wasting money on all the leechers north of the Liffey or Clontraf people started complaining about Finglas ?
    Where does it end ehhh ?

And I bet you would be one of the ones driving or worse still cycling out in the country of a weekend probably complaining about the locals having the temerity to be out and about minding their own business and getting in your way or worse still wrecking the roads you want to enjoy.

But don't a lot of jackeens want to transplant half of Africa & Asia to Achill so surely they must have some decent broadband to keep in contact with their relatives back home or at least possibly surf some of those internet sites recruiting them for exotic travel and adventures in the Middle East.

Which one, just asking for a friend like.

Ah yes Drumcondra the heartland of bertie.

BTW on topic I think this rural broadband plan is a waste of money and a scam to win votes whilst at the same time it makes some people pretty rich.
    Sure the civil servants working on this plan over the last number of years must have made a packet without any real concrete developments to date.
    We surely are a great little country with the way we waste money talking about things spending millions with nothing to show for it.

I live in the country and don't expect services that I would get in major metropolis.
    I expect half decent broadband, but not fibre to my door.

Advertisement