Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons you learned the hard way?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Someone who starves and represses your spirit can never really make you happy in your body either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Beviaamo wrote: »
    Hopefully your spirit has recovered.

Thank you, That's a lovely thing to say :)
    It has indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Never stay in a job more than 4-5 years. Especially at the beginning of your career. It doesn't matter how well you think you are doing. I did 7 once, the last 3 were a complete waste of time.

Yup this so much. I stayed in a job for almost a decade waiting for an opportunity to develop and it never happened. My salary jumped more moving from that to my current job than it did in the 10 years I was there. I think another related lesson I learned the hard way is that the notion of "working your way up" in one place is not always straight forward. In my last role, I started at more or less entry level, worked really hard and studied part time for 4 years to get the qualifications I have today. But, rather than having these recognised or being promoted to what I was capable of, I always had the label of "Antares the receptionist" or whatever. People put you in a box and their view of you can become entrenched despite your achievements - sometimes the best way to be recognised for your skills and achievements is to start afresh somewhere and almost "reinvent" yourself. I found that quite liberating and my only regret was not doing it sooner!

Advertisement