Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons you learned the hard way?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

NoteAgent wrote:
    Yeah, we should all get free money from the bank and not have to pay it back LOL

Should banks have the ability to create money, largely at free will, then have the audacity to charge us for this privilege?

dont subsidise primary industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Should banks have the ability to create money, largely at free will, then have the audacity to charge us for this privilege?

The banks dont have the ability to create free money. Central Banks do. And even then its not "Free Money". Its used to buy Public, Private and Municiple bonds.

NoteAgent wrote:
    The banks dont have the ability to create free money. Central Banks do. And even then its not "Free Money". Its used to buy Public, Private and Municiple bonds.

They more or less do, and the majority of money doesn't come from central banks in our modern monetary systems, the majority comes from normal commercial banks in the form of credit, which in turn becomes our debts, hence why we had a credit crisis not so long ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

They more or less do, and the majority of money doesn't come from central banks in our modern monetary systems, the majority comes from normal commercial banks in the form of credit, which in turn becomes our debts, hence why we had a credit crisis not so long ago

No they dont "more or less". All of those Bonds, IOU's, Promissiory Notes, etc have to be paid back.
    And Commercial Banks certainly dont.

Have you got a better alternative to Banks?

• Advertisement

NoteAgent wrote:
    No they dont "more or less". All of those Bonds, IOU's, Promissiory Notes, etc have to be paid back. And Commercial Banks certainly dont.

They do, there's loads of research going into this at the moment, including within central banks
    NoteAgent wrote:
    Have you got a better alternative to Banks?

We need to democratise our money creation systems, as we have moved towards the majority of our money supply being created by other, more private interested institutions, which have a more profit driven model, than a social good. Money creation and banking is of course a critical social need, the introduction of public banking systems would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Look after your knees in your youth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

seagull wrote: »
    Look after your knees in your youth

Absolutely agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They do, there's loads of research going into this at the moment, including within central banks

We need to democratise our money creation systems, as we have moved towards the majority of our money supply being created by other, more private interested institutions, which have a more profit driven model, than a social good. Money creation and banking is of course a critical social need, the introduction of public banking systems would be a good start

Public banking, to be run by the same people who run public health I assume. Funny, no one trusts politicians but yet turn to them for really important functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oink wrote: »
    Also, don’t loan money to people and then act all shocked when they never give it back.
    Ashamed to admit I was nearly in my thirties before I realised this after several fcuk ups, people will destroy a friendship over €100 or less, its actually amazing. I dont lend a cent these days and I dont think Ive ever borrowed from someone, Ill buy someone their lunch in work if they're short but I will not hand over cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If you have a broken middle finger, in a splint, on your right hand, use your left hand when wiping your arse !.
    I feel I could post in the LBGT forum with some authority now;(
    Toilet roll is of course assumed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Always p1ss before leaving a place, even if you don't need to.

The wise man goes when he can, the foolish man waits until he needs to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Agreeing with women all the time will get you nowhere

For years I thought agreeing with them would help my chances as it would show we have things in common but the more things you disagree on the more interesting your conversations will be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Never assume it's going to be just a fart.:cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Keep the original packaging for all your Christmas decorations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

When your lady friend says "We need talk". That is the calm before the storm.Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Don't trust anyone, especially those who claim to be your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Trust people up to a point. The dodgy ones will reveal themselves. You haven't given them full bone-deep trust so you'll be grand.
    The good ones will also reveal themselves and you can take them to level 2 trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Earthsnotflat

The race is not always won by the swiftest, the battle is not always won by the strongest; prosperity does not always belong to those who are the wisest, wealth does not always belong to those who are the most discerning, nor does success always come to those with the most knowledge – for time and chance may overcome them all. Like birds that are caught in a snare – just like them, all people are ensnared at an unfortunate time that falls upon them suddenly.

After years of feeling crap at saying the right thing and that listening only does a certain amount of good, I've realised the best way to help someone in a bad situation is to build them up in other ways, not focussed on the unchangeable unfixable stuff, so they feel their life isn't all about the bad stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The race is not always won by the swiftest, the battle is not always won by the strongest; prosperity does not always belong to those who are the wisest, wealth does not always belong to those who are the most discerning, nor does success always come to those with the most knowledge – for time and chance may overcome them all. Like birds that are caught in a snare – just like them, all people are ensnared at an unfortunate time that falls upon them suddenly.

Ecclesiastes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Never stay in a job more than 4-5 years. Especially at the beginning of your career. It doesn't matter how well you think you are doing. I did 7 once, the last 3 were a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Life is not black and white.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You don't start a sword fight with a banana!

Signed E O'Sullivan.

When you dance with the devil, you wait for the song to stop. Know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

A shut trap catches no flies

People dont fully appreciate things for free

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

A shut trap catches no flies

You're better off being thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth & remove all doubt.

Dark minded people want to make you afraid to enjoy your life, by scaremongering and telling you dire things will happen

Others are so empty headed careless and selfish they try to coerce you into things that are detrimental to your mind and body, and sneer at your self respect and caution

Find a balance

Life is a sexually transmitted disease. It's always fatal.

• Advertisement

If a new partner ever asks you for your social media/phone password...run. Very far, very fast.

If jealousy rears it's ugly head in the early days, get out of there before it becomes controlling and oppressive.

If someone is being rude or dismissive to you, treat them politely anyway. Just because someone behaves badly doesn't mean you have to join them and you'll only feel bad about yourself if you join in.

Don't gossip. Unless it's really, really juicy.

Don't put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear.

Advertisement