Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons you learned the hard way?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Strumms wrote: »
    That’s ok, but you have to know when the cutoff point is... otherwise ‘difficulties’ become acceptable as ‘just part of life’. That should never be the case....

Work - pissed off with your colleagues, one day drags, the next you are crawling out on your knees, that promised pay rise hasn’t materialized...fûck ‘loyalty’ be loyal to yourself, leave and start again, leave the misery zone.

Relationship - oh is nagging you to get a better job, want bigger house etc but it doing SFA to help enable the goals... they are suggesting YOU do more OT as ‘Vegas baby’ has been a ‘dream too’... fûck them, get rid..

Change... whatever in your life that is causing you stress, unhappiness, misery, whatever...one shot at this..

I had slightly more difficult stuff in mind like murder alcoholism bankruptcy marriage breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 24,817 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Berserker5 wrote: »
    I had slightly more difficult stuff in mind like murder alcoholism bankruptcy marriage breakdown

All the above is difficult stuff as is what I posted.... different degrees yes, but is small problems are not dealt with the snowball effect....

Problem at work leads to drinking, then alcoholism, then backing horses, then loosing job, bankrupt....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I disagree. While there is a very fine line between "lust at first sight" and "love at first sight", it's essentially the same thing for males.

No it isn't.

Stepping on a plug is worse than stepping on Lego.

If someone says they have a bit of a temper, it generally means they lose all control of themselves when they're not getting what they want.

Beware of anyone who's dismissive of elderly people, impatient with their parents, is rude to waiting staff, doesn't like dogs or hates chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Things will be alright in the end cos if it's not alright it's not the end.

Don't follow the crowd, someone else's destiny is not yours.

Having one good friend is better than having 10 fake ones.

Its better to be left on the shelf than be in the wrong cupboard.

Things are rarely as bad as they first appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Never take financial advice from someone poorer than you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,396 ✭✭✭✭kippy

nutjobb wrote: »
    Never take financial advice from someone poorer than you

It depends on the advice surely.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Candie wrote: »

Beware of anyone who's dismissive of elderly people, impatient with their parents, is rude to waiting staff, doesn't like dogs or hates chocolate.

Explain???

I've heard this before but I think it's bull**** to be honest. How you act in one part of your life doesn't determine the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Explain???

How you act in one part of your life doesn't determine the rest.

Of course it does. Otherwise which is the real you and which is an act? If it is true of you then you're best avoided because which side of you is to be trusted?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Originally Posted by mr_fegelien View Post
    Explain???

How you act in one part of your life doesn't determine the rest.

People don't act. They are who they are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Of course it does. Otherwise which is the real you and which is an act? If it is true of you then you're best avoided because which side of you is to be trusted?

But why would treating a waiter badly or disrespecting your parents be indicative of how you are in other aspects of life?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

But why would treating a waiter badly or disrespecting your parents be indicative of how you are in other aspects of life?

Ask to speak to a manager alot dude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Are you serious?

It's a little thing called a character trait.

I despair at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

By and large people who treat waiting staff like slaves are the worst type of humans. And when i say by and large i mean all of them.

As Srameen says, it's a character thing. If someone is rude or disrespectful to others (without very, very, good reason) they can safely be assumed to be rude and disrespectful people. People who are impatient with the elderly in particular are my bugbear, it shows a complete lack of decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

People generally prefer to think the worst of people.
    When a rumour goes around so many people will believe it because "no smoke without fire" Have seen 2 people's lives almost destroyed because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

What is meant for you will not pass you by.

Don't chase people or ignore bad behavior.

Just because a person is good to someone else or with someone else doesn't mean they will be or are good for you.

If people don't like you its their loss.

I struggle with this one. I see it splashed all over social media and certain people I know will repeat this like a mantra no matter what ill fortune has befallen them or someone else, but I don't understand the rationale for it. Is there some kind of plan that ensures we all get what is meant for us?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Never trust a man with a beard.

And certainly never trust a woman with a beard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Antares35 wrote: »
    I struggle with this one. I see it splashed all over social media and certain people I know will repeat this like a mantra no matter what ill fortune has befallen them or someone else, but I don't understand the rationale for it. Is there some kind of plan that ensures we all get what is meant for us?:(

Don’t get it either maybe for some people it’s a way of consoling themselves when things don’t work out think it can lead people into passivity though instead of being more pro active in their lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

Explain???

I've heard this before but I think it's bull**** to be honest. How you act in one part of your life doesn't determine the rest.

It's called having compassion and patience. Anyone who doesn't have some form of those traits tend to be peckerheads.

You hopefully will be old one day with kids,how do you want them to treat you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

When everyone else starts to run,you should walk slowly.

Unless there is a fire.

Also always live within your means and neither a borrower nor a lender be.

If you need a loan the credit union is your only man.
    Keep your friends and family separate to your finances

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭bamayang

Dont send your life savings (as a 14 year old) via western union to some random internet guy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Trust your instincts. I've proved myself wrong by not going with my gut in the past.

Never get a prostate exam done by a doctor with sausage fingers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Antares35 wrote: »
    Some would say there is no such thing as free will .

For example ; You and everybody are just in a movie and no matter what you do next ; you were always going to do that .

You could be just in a movie on a continuous loop and you never see the join:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Never get a prostate exam done by a doctor with sausage fingers.
    Unless you enjoy that kind of thing !

triona1 wrote: »
    No point in having a handsome man when you have to keep looking over your shoulder.
    And beauty doesn't make the pot boil.

He's that bad huh?

blinding wrote: »
    Unless you enjoy that kind of thing !

There was no enjoyment from it.I was crippled for days after.

When you are sitting in a tree sawing off a branch make sure you are sitting between the saw and the ...........Treeeeeeeeeeeee............. !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

blinding wrote: »
    Some would say there is no such thing as free will .

For example ; You and everybody are just in a movie and no matter what you do next ; you were always going to do that .

You could be just in a movie on a continuous loop and you never see the join:eek:

Ah yes the Truman show thing. You have no idea how often this thought crosses my mind! But then I think people are so boring, who would be bothered scheming and plotting something like this :D

Advertisement