Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lessons you learned the hard way?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Antares35 wrote: »
    Ah yes the Truman show thing. You have no idea how often this thought crosses my mind! But then I think people are so boring, who would be bothered scheming and plotting something like this :D
    Look at the audience some boring Soaps get .

This mundane life of most of us may just be relaxation for aliens / others . There is a few humans with interesting lives . The rest of us may just be filler extras .

We may well be on their Youtube channel on a continuous loop . A low class soap at low prices on some very low class channel . Just think you have to repeat this continually ( with out knowing it ) until the audience gives up .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭victor8600

Once, when I was in my early teens, I have vaulted over a road barrier and hit my leg really hard on another small concrete barrier behind. Split the skin to the shin bone, but was lucky not to break it.

Lesson learned: see what's on the other side before jumping into stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭KM792

Never invest your happiness in another person..you'll end up miserable.
    Never base your self worth on what other people think of you..again you'll end up miserable.

Jealousy is a useless emotion...as the song goes "The race is long and in the end it's only with yourself".

The voice in your head talks to you the most so try to make peace with your past.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

Blaizes wrote: »
    Don’t get it either maybe for some people it’s a way of consoling themselves when things don’t work out think it can lead people into passivity though instead of being more pro active in their lives

In my family that phrase is used when you attempted something that didn't work out (e.g. a job interview you didn't pass). It doesn't encourage passivity for me anyway, it's basically like a comfort thing of "Ok maybe that job would have been a bad fit for me anyway, so I'll try extra hard for the next interview because that might be the one that's meant for me".

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I learned never to take sides when your friends/family are having an argument that doesn't directly involve you.

Also never judge or make your mind up about someone based on what another person has said about them.

I used to be so gullible and easily led...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Trust your instincts. Appearances can be deceptive.

Being kind draws predatory users.

If you live by the sword you'll die by the sword

Some people are unsalvageable waste of time and energy, like black holes sucking everyone around into them.

Tis better to have loved and lost etc.

The grass is greener where you water it.

That's all my cliches

Why go out for a burger when you have steak at home.
    I just like that one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

A song from the 1970's had these lryics, well worth a read.
    Deserata

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, & remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly & clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud & aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many people strive for high ideals; and everywhere the world is full of heroism.

Be yourself, especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of Spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you the, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be Happy.

Found in Old St. Paul's Church, in Baltimore, Maryland circa 1692

Writer Unknown

You don't have to keep everyone in your life just because they crashed into it-or because ypu tave them some of your time already-be discerning. Ask if *they* deserve *you*. DO be a little bit vain sometimes. Once you really spend time with your close friends and significant others you feel like yourself and are present in your life. The people you focus on influence how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Candie wrote: »
    Stepping on a plug is worse than stepping on Lego.

If someone says they have a bit of a temper, it generally means they lose all control of themselves when they're not getting what they want.

Beware of anyone who's dismissive of elderly people, impatient with their parents, is rude to waiting staff, doesn't like dogs or hates chocolate.

I'm always polite with Wait staff.
    But i am very dismissive and impatient with elderly drivers!

Am i a bad person?

I need to reflect on where i stand on elderly wait staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Don't get involved in other people's problems... Trying to be nice and intervene in a situation got me into trouble with my family that will probably never be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Never rub your eyes or hold your willie after handling chillies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cjmc wrote: »
    Never rub your eyes or hold your willie after handling chillies

Believe it or not I, have actually done both during the same long uncomfortable incident. Scotch bonnets too :eek::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

If someone says a movie they saw was fantastic, never believe them. The regret can only be worse if they told you that they think you'd like it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Never rub your willie in your eyes !

blinding wrote: »

Or anyone else's eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Nice to have the option though:D:D

I like that someone called Blinding agreed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Look at the audience some boring Soaps get .

This mundane life of most of us may just be relaxation for aliens / others . There is a few humans with interesting lives . The rest of us may just be filler extras .

We may well be on their Youtube channel on a continuous loop . A low class soap at low prices on some very low class channel . Just think you have to repeat this continually ( with out knowing it ) until the audience gives up .
    The only thing worse than Fair City, if that is even possible :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Too many to mention tbh.

You are teaching people how to treat you. stop tolerating abuse.
    Always paddle your own canoe.
    Have more than you show and speak less than you know.
    Don't allow yourself to become a scapegoat (still working on that one).
    Expectation is the Mother of all disappointment.
    Assumption is the Mother of all f*ck ups.
    Your own mind is your worst enemy if it's not properly trained.
    Everyone you know has a different version of you in their mind. Each version is a reflection of how they view themselves and their reality. None of them are your concern. Just keep being the best version of you that you know how to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

When your missus says there's "nothing wrong", always assume that there is indeed, something wrong and that you are to blame.

Oh I have one.

Don't feel sorry for your ex and try to be their friend.
    There are a million ways it can go wrong.
    And they'll think you're back for another round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Honesty is the road to poverty.

Also when you get angry at a person or situation sleep on it, think on it and then say your piece. Never react straight away you nearly always regret your actions.

You got to know when to hold Em. Know when to fold ' Em. Know when to walk away, and know when to run.

'Cause every gambler knows that the secret to survival, is knowing what to throw away and knowing what to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭NoteAgent

Drumpot wrote: »
    The entire banking system is corrupt, has led to people dieing (suicide or health stress- I’ve seen this first hand) , destroys families and is protected more then it’s Customers by the regulator. The fact that state money was used to bail it out protects it to a large degree as some people interpret this as “their money” so don’t care how banks act once it gets its money and makes money from customers.

Yeah, we should all get free money from the bank and not have to pay it back LOL

Without banks we wouldnt have ANY Irish business. Or global business. And you wouldnt have a job. The companies that hire us wouldnt even exist without access to financing.

But if you want to get rid of banks and go back to the 1500's thats your choice I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Never read an entire thread on AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Two that were brought home to me again yesterday.
    1. The more you do for someone the less appreciated you will be.
    2. The people you put yourself out for most will turn on you most.

It's a phenomen I've seen myself in a type of person.
    They're the type best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

_Farah_ wrote: »
    Do not make too much plans, just hit the road.

But, but, but, perfect planning prevents pathetic performance! :P

• Advertisement

No plan survives contact with the enemy.

Advertisement