Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Headshot wrote: »
    Oh interesting i've read some paper work from Open Eir that the 500MB profile is coming

What's happening is users that are on 300MB will be upgraded to 500MB

That was supposed to happen about 6 months ago but I think they abandoned the idea unfortunately. Uploads could do with a boost too, they are well behind Siro when it comes to upload on all plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,927 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Gonzo wrote: »
    That was supposed to happen about 6 months ago but I think they abandoned the idea unfortunately.

Nope not what i've read today

It's going ahead

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's going ahead

where did you read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It's going ahead

They'll want a product to compete with Virgin as they move into urban areas and the 1Gb is probably too expensive for many so upping 300 to 500 makes sense.

where did you read it?

The company I work for gets notifications of changes to open Eir network and today we got an email mentioning a change in scope is to launch a new 500Mb speed profile following feedback from Wholesale Customers that the preference would be a new profile rather than an upgrade and also 500Mb was the preferred speed.

• Advertisement

Oh by the way target Launch Date: April 2020

They'll want a product to compete with Virgin as they move into urban areas and the 1Gb is probably too expensive for many so upping 300 to 500 makes sense.

Once Eir upgrades to 500 in April, Virgin will probably upgrade to 600 or 700!
    Siro can easily upgrade again too.

This 500 upgrade from 300 will have been in the works for a year by the time it launches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

April could be the date they have in mind for launching some areas of urban FTTH so no hurry.

500Mbps and some TV package that shows sports would keep many happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Oh interesting i've read some paper work from Open Eir that the 500MB profile is coming

What's happening is users that are on 300MB will be upgraded to 500MB

It's going ahead

Well ... you didn't read that one right.

What it was before, was that OpenEIR was toying with the idea to simply upgrade the 300 Mbit/s profile to 600 Mbit/s, reusing the 300 Mbit/s profile. That was shot down by the wholesale partners ... simply because it makes a complete mess of their ordering and support systems.

Hence a new profile is being introduced and as both Virgin and SIRO are at 500 Mbit/s now, that's the profile they're going with.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Well ... you didn't read that one right.

What it was before, was that OpenEIR was toying with the idea to simply upgrade the 300 Mbit/s profile to 600 Mbit/s, reusing the 300 Mbit/s profile. That was shot down by the wholesale partners ... simply because it makes a complete mess of their ordering and support systems.

Hence a new profile is being introduced and as both Virgin and SIRO are at 500 Mbit/s now, that's the profile they're going with.

/M

Will this new profile be a new plan or will the 300 customers automatically get upgraded? This is for 500, not 600?

• Advertisement

Will this new profile be a new plan or will the 300 customers automatically get upgraded? This is for 500, not 600?

Changing the PCRL title from “FTTH Profile Update - 300Mb to 600Mb” to “A new FTTH 500Mb Profile”.

Change in scope is to launch a new 500Mb speed profile following feedback from Wholesale Customers that the preference would be a new profile rather than an upgrade and also 500Mb was the preferred speed.

All other functional characteristics of the new 500Mb profile will be the same as the existing 300Mb Profile.

The new 500Mb profile will be available on all existing Products, VUA, BS+, SA, POTS, each of which will have a unique identifier.

Operators will be offered a free bulk migration service to upgrade existing 300Mb services to 500Mb.

The existing 300Mb profile will remain in place.

Target Launch Date: April 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

New build house, got a phone line install today. Anyone know how long I need to wait to for the line to be active to test it for broadband. Fibre running past house but I'm doing this to try and my eircode on the system to hopefully..

As in the outline Headshot posted: it is a new profile.

It will be up to each individual provider, how to implement it and it will really depend on OpenEirs pricing.

But I would assume the 300 Mbit/s profile will be retired eventually.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

EletricMan wrote: »
    New build house, got a phone line install today. Anyone know how long I need to wait to for the line to be active to test it for broadband. Fibre running past house but I'm doing this to try and my eircode on the system to hopefully..

How long is a piece of string?

I was told back in August it would take 2 days. Ordered it. KN networks came couldn't do it. More work had to be done. New Date given for said work 23 Nov. The date come and nothing. Phoned again... date moved to February 2020.

Upon asking they said ducting work needed to be done. Yet, when I look on OpenAir the ducting work is completed.

Have no idea what is going on yet getting really frustrated with the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

So I had a crew out last week to trim trees to resolve my ducting issue. They literally cut a hole through the branches in the tree to give a direct line of sight. Doesn’t look like there would be line of sight for long. Do you think the engineer will be happy with this?

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Wonder is there an issue as we've been "Available Soon" for over a year & today it's stating "Not Available".

jgbyr wrote: »
    Wonder is there an issue as we've been "Available Soon" for over a year & today it's stating "Not Available".

That can happen, when they re-index premises as part of some build work. If you PM me your eircode, I can have a look, what they changed.

That can happen, when they re-index premises as part of some build work. If you PM me your eircode, I can have a look, what they changed.

Thanks, PM sent

jgbyr wrote: »
    Thanks, PM sent

That whole DP that your premises was indexed on is not listed anymore. Could be a problem with their database sync.

My suggestion is to check it again next week.

• Advertisement

That whole DP that your premises was indexed on is not listed anymore. Could be a problem with their database sync.

Thanks for the response. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Does anybody have experience/know if contention is ever an issue with openeir ftth?

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Does anybody have experience/know if contention is ever an issue with openeir ftth?

If you are on a Gbit/s connection ... yes. That is already the case on a few exchanges.

150 and 300 Mbit/s unlikely.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Marlow wrote: »
    If you are on a Gbit/s connection ... yes. That is already the case on a few exchanges.

150 and 300 Mbit/s unlikely.

/M

I'm going with 300mbps but trying to decide on the ISP.

Was slightly concerned with potential contention with eir as I understand their ratio is 48:1.

I will likely go with a regional provider anyway.

Badger2009 wrote: »
    I'm going with 300mbps but trying to decide on the ISP.

Was slightly concerned with potential contention with eir as I understand their ratio is 48:1.

I will likely go with a regional provider anyway.

48:1 was (or is) their residential ADSL. I have no idea what contention they specify these days. A lot of providers don't even give you that figure anymore, which is a shame. It was a good measure for comparing.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

The same happened with our house. It was showing as Available soon for the past 2 weeks but is showing as Not available now. Is it anything to be concerned about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Not rural but KN are running fibre in our estate for openeir this week. I'm in the west end of Clonsilla. They were out a few weeks ago for a survey and have pushed fibre through all the manholes the last 2 days.

Lads at the van I chatted to just said its for faster broadband... presume this is the eir urban rollout getting going?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pumpkinpie86

Not sure if anyone would be able to help/advise... We're moving into an old family cottage that's been left empty for about 10 years. Finally got an eircode last month, but when I check the availability on the airwire website, we can only get VDSL. Check the eircodes of the properties either side of us and FTTH is available to both. On the open eir map we're shown as a blue house in a green shaded area, but won't recognise our eircode. The houses either side are showing as green. Any way we can get FTTH? I've emailed a few places but figured I'd ask the experts on here too!

Hi,

generally it should be possible to get your premise added to the OpenEIR 300k, especially because it most likely just is an eircode, that got reactivated opposed to a new one.

It takes a bit of work for us to get a premise added and may take a month or two, worst case scenario, to get it sorted. But it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

https://amp.independent.ie/business/technology/fibre-broadband-doubles-in-ireland-as-landline-phones-die-regulator-figures-suggest-38778808.html#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s
    Uptake is even less as with sky pstn is mandatory with VDSL i suspect it was to do with the old boxes being able to rent box office events with the red button through the phone line.

Advertisement