Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,002 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Guys what wifi system would you recommend to get the best out of a 1GB connection?

I have a UniFi AP AC PRO and just not happy with the range of it. I have most of my gear including the broadband connection in a converted attic and struggling to get a good wifi signal down stairs on the ground follow in the sitting room where there's no network cable going down there (or near it) for a 2nd access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Headshot wrote: »
    Guys what wifi system would you recommend to get the best out of a 1GB connection?

I have a UniFi AP AC PRO and just not happy with the range of it. I have most of my gear including the broadband connection in a converted attic and struggling to get a good wifi signal down stairs on the ground follow in the sitting room where there's no network cable going down there (or near it) for a 2nd access point.

Personally I don't think there's anything better than ubiquiti at the price point.

Is there no way to run a cable into the sitting room and add another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Anyone else getting a slow connection right now

Getting 0.8mb down and 27mb up

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

And we're good again must have been a maintenance run

• Registered Users Posts: 19,965 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Have you got plasterboard with a foil backing for the ceiling? If so, the signal from even a good router will have a problem punching through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Hammurabi

Just wire it. You know you'll be glad of it once it's done. If you don't feel comfortable chasing walls etc, find a route behind cupboards, units whatever. Alternatively have you tried just raising your AP or maneuvering (htf do you spell that?) such that less concrete in between it and your target room? Less walls the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Our FTTH was just totally off there for a good 10 minutes and then came back on all by itself (Digiweb) - any issues does anyone know (just digiweb or other or whole of net?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Our FTTH was just totally off there for a good 10 minutes and then came back on all by itself (Digiweb) - any issues does anyone know (just digiweb or other or whole of net?)

Yeah it looks to have been nationwide. Ours dropped from around 7.15pm and came back closer to 8pm.
    https://downdetector.ie/status/digiweb/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mine went down but I think it was only for about 1 minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MBSnr wrote: »
    Yeah it looks to have been nationwide. Ours dropped from around 7.15pm and came back closer to 8pm.
    https://downdetector.ie/status/digiweb/

ah right , thank you. at least i know now what was going on and not just me

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Personally I don't think there's anything better than ubiquiti at the price point.

Is there no way to run a cable into the sitting room and add another one?
    Hammurabi wrote: »
    Just wire it. You know you'll be glad of it once it's done. If you don't feel comfortable chasing walls etc, find a route behind cupboards, units whatever. Alternatively have you tried just raising your AP or maneuvering (htf do you spell that?) such that less concrete in between it and your target room? Less walls the better.

I sent back the UniFi AP AC PRO and got this instead and made it into a AP
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B4X503S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference is unreal, the distance is miles better and I get 800mb on Speedtest where as on the UniFi AP AC PRO I was only getting 500mb

The difference is night and day

I sent back the UniFi AP AC PRO and got this instead and made it into a AP
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B4X503S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The difference is unreal, the distance is miles better and I get 800mb on Speedtest where as on the UniFi AP AC PRO I was only getting 500mb

The difference is night and day

Are you getting 800 in the sitting room with that in the attic?

Are you getting 800 in the sitting room with that in the attic?

Nope, i get those speeds directly under the AP where as I was getting just around 500 with the Unifi (directly under it again)

In the sitting room I get around 250 now where as I was getting around 50 before

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

OpenEir have updated the fibrerollout map to include all of what has been rolled out under the 300k.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Marlow wrote: »
    OpenEir have updated the fibrerollout map to include all of what has been rolled out under the 300k.

/M

just checked my eircode on it's still not passing despite having FTTH installed since March 2017!

My Eircode said first half of 2017, then first half of 2018, followed by first half of 2019 and now:

Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the first half of 2020.

I wonder will they ever pass it! My house is the only home in the entire area with a blue planned icon.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

Gonzo wrote: »
    just checked my eircode on it's still not passing despite having FTTH installed since March 2017!

Hi,
    that is most likely because your Eircode is matched incorrectly in their database. If you want that rectified, feel free to PM me your eircode and your phone number for that FTTH line.

We can pass that back into their database and get them to merge it correctly.

This is not something we normally do, unless it's for a customer of ours, but I can make an exception.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hi,
    feel free to PM me your eircode and your phone number for that FTTH line.

We can pass that back into their database and get them to merge it correctly.

This is not something we normally do, unless it's for a customer of ours, but I can make an exception.

many thanks Martin!, pm sent!:)

The issue with that eircode is, that it is not matched at all.

That's very common for VDSL/FTTC lines. Mostly common for early FTTH lines during the trial rollout.

There is a way to submit that to trigger OpenEIRs system to fix that, but very few providers know how. It's been submitted now anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

So after years of watching fibre roll out maps and reading boards, it’s finally in! I now need to figure out what to replace my old powerline adaptors as they don’t support the higher speeds. But this, I think is the fun part.

And fair play to to the lads that installed it. They spent 5 hours in awful weather trimming trees pulling cable and putting up with a noisy/moody dog. The was a private crew out to do the trees trimming a couple of weeks ago and didn’t even do the minimum! I really appreciate the work done today!

• Advertisement

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

The update includes approx 21k new lines available in January as part of the IFN

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I had this installed Friday with Eir and I'm so happy with it, we suffered midband for year's with 1-5 mbs on a good day!

Tonight herself is watching a 4K movie on Netflix, Daughter is on YouTube and my Speedtest is showing 130 mbs...

Never ever thought we would have that as we live in the sticks!

Truckermal wrote: »
    I had this installed Friday with Eir and I'm so happy with it, we suffered midband for year's with 1-5 mbs on a good day!

Tonight herself is watching a 4K movie on Netflix, Daughter is on YouTube and my Speedtest is showing 130 mbs...

Never ever thought we would have that as we live in the sticks!

Happy Christmas!

"life changing" might be a bit dramatic.

But it really is :pac:

"life changing" might be a bit dramatic.

But it really is :pac:

I went from 9 meg to 300. I can certainly call it life changing. Have it nearly 3 years now. I can't imagine still being on 9 meg. It would take a few days just to update or download some of the games I play. ADSL is now similar to how slow 56k was in the early 2000's.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I went from 9 meg to 300. I can certainly call it life changing. Have it nearly 3 years now. I can't imagine still being on 9 meg. It would take a few days just to update or download some of the games I play. ADSL is now similar to how slow 56k was in the early 2000's.

Oh absoloutley, I was getting 2-3 when things were good :pac:

Lads in work often bring xboxes etc to update them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Flashing PON here for two hours Borrisoleigh. 39 minutes on hold to them. Assuming the ONT will need to be changed as it’s not syncing with the OLT

Flashing PON here for two hours Borrisoleigh. 39 minutes on hold to them. Assuming the ONT will need to be changed as it’s not syncing with the OLT

I take it you are with Eir? This kind of thing is always a worry with Eir as you can't contact them if there is a problem. Although Sunday is the worst day for it to happen.
    All ok here in Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tuxy wrote: »
    I take it you are with Eir? This kind of thing is always a worry with Eir as you can't contact them if there is a problem. Although Sunday is the worst day for it to happen.
    All ok here in Nenagh.

Keeps coming back and going. The problem is somewhere on their end. Came back on for 15 minutes.

• Advertisement

Keeps coming back and going. The problem is somewhere on their end. Came back on for 15 minutes.

Sounds like a fault that your ISP will have to contact Open Eir about. Which one are you with?

Advertisement