Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,862 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Interesting one guys, I had a static IP on my DSL link and it's carried over to my FTTH link

A surprising one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

And something else we found out which I think I read on here already, if you have a fixed IP with Eir and FTTH you have to use PPPoE and not DHCP.

tuxy wrote: »
    And something else we found out which I think I read on here already, if you have a fixed IP with Eir and FTTH you have to use PPPoE and not DHCP.

Yup

Tuxy helped me get that one sorted as we both own Unifi equipment ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

PPPoE has always been a requirement for fixed IP. It is a technological requirement, as IPs via DHCP always come from a common pool.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    PPPoE has always been a requirement for fixed IP. It is a technological requirement, as IPs via DHCP always come from a common pool.

/M

Yup, makes sense. The thing is I had Eir FTTH for 12 months and I didn't pay for a fixed IP so was using DHCP and my IP never changed. That seems to be common for FTTH. I'm fairly sure it changed once in a while when I had DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

So I was given tomorrow as a resolution date for them to create a new duct to my house. Been waiting since August. There is no ducting at al from roadside to my house. 350metres. I’m not holding out hope that they will digging a trench in the morning. I’m really frustrated with the whole experience. I’m currently with Vodafone.i can never get through to their customer care line , I just get disconnected. Do I just call sales and get them to connect me. I just wish there was a way I could have a dialogue and be privy to their actual plans!

Richieq wrote: »
    So I was given tomorrow as a resolution date for them to create a new duct to my house. Been waiting since August. There is no ducting at al from roadside to my house. 350metres. I’m not holding out hope that they will digging a trench in the morning. I’m really frustrated with the whole experience. I’m currently with Vodafone.i can never get through to their customer care line , I just get disconnected. Do I just call sales and get them to connect me. I just wish there was a way I could have a dialogue and be privy to their actual plans!

If you're not in contract and just need standard FTTH, no extras like phone and TV cancel and go with Airwire. Excellent customer support that's easy to get in contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Yup, makes sense. The thing is I had Eir FTTH for 12 months and I didn't pay for a fixed IP so was using DHCP and my IP never changed. That seems to be common for FTTH. I'm fairly sure it changed once in a while when I had DSL.

I think most have long lease times so if you dont turn off/reboot often I can't see it changing much.

If you're with Airwire they give you a free static address on request

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Richieq

If you're not in contract and just need standard FTTH, no extras like phone and TV cancel and go with Airwire. Excellent customer support that's easy to get in contact with.

I’m in contract until next July. I do need phone. Mobile coverage is not great and my wife for some reason seems to think that having a phone is a must! I spent several years out of contract for this very reason. But, made an attempt at switching to Imagine as they promised the world. I could get 180meg at the dead of night and about 1meg peak times. So had to go back. I was deemed as not commercially viable and that changed for FTTH so now I’m waiting for it to change. I just wish somebody would tell me what’s happening. Several times now I’ve been passed around to different teams at Vodafone, no one seems to know what what is happening. It’s not time that frustrates me it’s not knowing what’s happening and also from what I can tell, Vodafone doesn’t know either. It’s like open Eir have a secrecy pact and I need to have a special handshake to get in on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Apologies for posting in what is likely the wrong thread but I've known this thread to get good for tips and general help.

I have a 1gb connection from Airwire which works flawlessly all the time but this morning I noticed the download speed dropped to 10mb but I just restarted the router which completely solved the issue but now again tonight the download speed has dropped again but restarting the router hasn't done anything this time. The upload speed is fine. Anyone have a similar problem or anything I can try to fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

correction wrote: »
    Apologies for posting in what is likely the wrong thread but I've known this thread to get good for tips and general help.

I have a 1gb connection from Airwire which works flawlessly all the time but this morning I noticed the download speed dropped to 10mb but I just restarted the router which completely solved the issue but now again tonight the download speed has dropped again but restarting the router hasn't done anything this time. The upload speed is fine. Anyone have a similar problem or anything I can try to fix it?

Can you try and replace the cable between the router and the ONT with a known good cable ? Could be something simple like that.

What router are you using ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Marlow wrote: »
    Can you try and replace the cable between the router and the ONT with a known good cable ? Could be something simple like that.

What router are you using ?

/M

It is a fritzbox 7560. Yes that may be worth a go, would eliminate a possibility is nothing else.

correction wrote: »

Are you still seeing this?

I'm having something similar myself

Could the router be over heating?

Headshot wrote: »
    Could the router be over heating?

For me I don't think so.

Looks like on speed test anyway if I hit anything that's not airwire, whiich I assume I'm on the same network as I get less than 10mb. But Airwire test seems "normal" enough so looks like traffic going off thier network.

plus upload is fine

It's odd.

limnam wrote: »
    For me I don't think so.

Looks like on speed test anyway if I hit anything that's not airwire, whiich I assume I'm on the same network as I get less than 10mb. But Airwire test seems "normal" enough so looks like traffic going off thier network.

plus upload is fine

It's odd.

No problems here with Airwire, I've tested on a number of servers in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hammurabi

I'm exactly same as liman. Airwire, ftth. Speedtests to airwire = normal. Anywhere else down to about 20-2mbs. IPTV and games all lagging/buffering. It's been the same for past couple nights. I think it's fine during the day. But havnt checked rigorously. I'm in Cork.

For me I don't think so.

plus upload is fine

It's odd.

That is strange, I wonder could it be a routing issue

I dont suppose you have any linux machine that you could do a speed test to an IP address, just to eliminate any DNS issue?

Hammurabi wrote: »
    I'm exactly same as liman. Airwire, ftth. Speedtests to airwire = normal. Anywhere else down to about 20-2mbs. IPTV and games all lagging/buffering. It's been the same for past couple nights. I think it's fine during the day. But havnt checked rigorously. I'm in Cork.

Cork too...

Do you happen to be near inshannon / bandon?

The reason I ask is I see there was work recently done there on the airwire twitter page

Headshot wrote: »
    That is strange, I wonder could it be a routing issue

I dont suppose you have any linux machine that you could do a speed test to an IP address, just to eliminate any DNS issue?

I use linux yep.

Don't think it's DNS. DNS seem to resolve quick enough.

Getting 2mb/s to blakcnight at the mo :eek:

• Advertisement

Cork too...

Do you happen to be near inshannon / bandon?

The reason I ask is I see there was work recently done there on the airwire twitter page

I seen that. But no. I'm east cork. I changed dns server to opendns but no luck with that.

I seen that. But no. I'm east cork. I changed dns server to opendns but no luck with that.

Yah DNS seems to be ok.

Did you email support@ ?

Yah DNS seems to be ok.

Did you email support@ ?

Hah no, this was my first port of call. I'm sure we can't be the only poor sods with this issue......

I use linux yep.

Don't think it's DNS. DNS seem to resolve quick enough.

Getting 2mb/s to blakcnight at the mo :eek:

Yikes, I am getting 2Mbit to blacknight also and normal upload.
    But it's fine on some other servers outside of Airwires network.
    Perhaps it's the fault of whoever blacknight get their connection with.

I tested some servers in London and the speed was fine to them.

Hah no, this was my first port of call. I'm sure we can't be the only poor sods with this issue......

I think a lot of people wouldn't even notice :pac:

Seeing a lot of packet loss

ping to boards.

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    17 packets transmitted, 16 received, 5.88235% packet loss, time 16053ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 14.588/17.868/38.460/5.753 ms

Interesting one tuxy, yeah to london or Manchester is grand. Gaming on xbox live is rubbish though. As is IPTV.

I think a lot of people wouldn't even notice :pac:

Seeing a lot of packet loss

ping to boards.

--- www.boards.ie ping statistics ---
    17 packets transmitted, 16 received, 5.88235% packet loss, time 16053ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 14.588/17.868/38.460/5.753 ms

Yeah I've loads of packet loss trying to play online games now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

http://ovh.net/
    from Airwire 150/30 connection a few minutes ago

speedtest2.png

I have no issues with Blacknight using Eir broadband

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8813993004

Where as Airwire is very poor but I suspect that's a limitation on their side

https://www.speedtest.net/result/8813995368

• Advertisement

Their port seems to be down in inex cork or echo replies disabled.

I wonder if that's impacting here.

Advertisement