Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

tuxy wrote: »
    Sounds like a fault that your ISP will have to contact Open Eir about. Which one are you with?

Eircom. It’s reported. Did this a few weeks ago and came back after an hour or two. I finally got through to them after 53 minutes on hold. They’ve logged it. At least it isn’t a LOS light I guess. Took a week to fix a split 2 miles away. Another time a KN technician disconnected me from the DP thinking I wasn’t home. He couldn’t get a light for the neighbours install and so messed around with other peoples connections. Took days to fix that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That's all that can be done then. Awful timing for it to happen so close to Christmas, I'm not sure how much staff KN have working right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Flashing PON here for two hours Borrisoleigh. 39 minutes on hold to them. Assuming the ONT will need to be changed as it’s not syncing with the OLT
    Keeps coming back and going. The problem is somewhere on their end. Came back on for 15 minutes.

No .. ONT is usually the least of your worries. Generally it's a fibre issue somewhere. Either in your premises or along the line.

There is no official fault for that area today, so it must be fairly localised. Your only bet is raising it as a fault with your provider. Anything from your ONT and towards the network is OpenEIRs responsibility, but only your provider can engage them for your line.
    That's all that can be done then. Awful timing for it to happen so close to Christmas, I'm not sure how much staff KN have working right now.

They are still working at full manpower. Especially with all the extra premises going live in January.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

The update includes approx 21k new lines available in January as part of the IFN

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Hi Martin,

My eircode is appearing as Not available for the second week in a row after previously appearing as Available soon. Any idea what might be going on here? As far as I know all the infrastructure is in place. We're just waiting for them to "turn it on".

The internet light went out last night and still hasn’t come back on. The PON is still jumping. All the nearby houses are on so I’m guessing this is an issue with the ONT

LAN green, PON green but jumping, DSL light but no Internet light. 8180 error too

• Advertisement

The internet light went out last night and still hasn’t come back on. The PON is still jumping. All the nearby houses are on so I’m guessing this is an issue with the ONT

LAN green, PON green but jumping, DSL light but no Internet light.

No.

This can be the ONT, the fibre patch between the ONT and the ODP, the fibre span between the ODP and the DP or the port in the DP itself. Even the cold fused connectors on the fibre span can be at fault.

I have even come across one case, where the olug of the fibre span never was fully seated in the DP, so over time it had come out of the port. KN came out to said subscriber and simply reseated the plug in the DP. Job done.

It is nearly never the ONT.

Have you raised the fault with your provider?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No.

This can be the ONT, the fibre patch between the ONT and the ODP, the fibre span between the ODP and the DP or the port in the DP itself. Even the cold fused connectors on the fibre span can be at fault.

I have even come across one case, where the olug of the fibre span never was fully seated in the DP, so over time it had come out of the port. KN came out to said subscriber and simply reseated the plug in the DP. Job done.

It is nearly never the ONT.

Have you raised the fault with your provider?

/M

I did yesterday and got a text an hour ago saying it was resolved. A missed call from an 0504 number on my mobile just before that text came through at 5:30 (assuming someone working with eircom as nobody knows this mobile number other than eircom)

Going to try get through to them now if open.

I did yesterday and got a text an hour ago saying it was resolved. A missed call from an 0504 number on my mobile just before that text came through at 5:30 (assuming someone working with eircom as nobody knows this mobile number other than eircom)

If the ONT was showing a problem then it was with the Open Eir network.
    I've no idea how an Eir employee could get in contact with Open Eir and have a KN employee out to fix it so fast.
    It may take a while to get an honest answer from an Eir employee.

Anyway it’s still down now and I don’t think it’ll be fixed tomorrow. Another text saying they are looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You can get the flashing green light if the account was terminated (deregistered ont, or if the light is degraded below the acceptable threshold for the speed profile. Eg -22dbm on a 1000mpbs profile it won't show a red Los but it won't synch either.
    As Marlow says it can be just a seating issue.
    On new installs the splice can have a microfracture that doesn't show up and then snaps in a day or two after install. Usually gets fixed within the same week by kn.
    A fault older than I think 3 months after installation is an openeir issue. Nearly in all instances the fault is in the cradle or in the dp.
    It may be at the olt but id doubt they go bad often. A little metal thing that looks like a optical coupler on one end and a USB key on the other end sometimes needs replacing but if it's that it's the entire cluster

• Advertisement

Any idea how much impact Christmas time has on repairs?

Any idea how much impact Christmas time has on repairs?

Every network pretty much has frozen new installations for xmas time and all the way past new year. Which is a good thing. SIRO was out of appointments Saturday. OpenEir have been working today and will be tomorrow (for installations).

Repairs ... you'll be damn sure, they taking care of what they can manage. It's not an easy time for any network or operator ... but none of them want to deliberately ruin peoples xmas. And it is the busiest time of the year .... full stop.

/M

Faults and escalations and backlogged orders seem the be the order of the week and last.
    For lines that have been working over a couple of months and suddenly stopped working are an oe issue unless kn were involved.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

limktime wrote: »
    My eircode is appearing as Not available for the second week in a row after previously appearing as Available soon. Any idea what might be going on here? As far as I know all the infrastructure is in place. We're just waiting for them to "turn it on".

I have replied to your PM.

Text at 9am saying a technician is working on fixing the fault. No sign of any open eir or kn vans in the entire vicinity. Assuming early to mid January before it’s fixed and a promise of a partial refund that will never be applied like the last fault in July

Text at 9am saying a technician is working on fixing the fault. No sign of any open eir or kn vans in the entire vicinity. Assuming early to mid January before it’s fixed and a promise of a partial refund that will never be applied like the last fault in July

Who was the text from, your ISP or open Eir and why won't they tell you what the fault is?

Most likely they don't know what the fault is other than port down.
    If it's the network it'll take longer are you the only one affected or is it all your neighbours if it's everyone it'll take longer if it's just you you shouldnt be waiting more than the 31st

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Happy Christmas @Navi.

I hope you're just taking a well earned break. Social media can be a trying place, but over the years you've patiently provided a veritable one-person public service to hundreds of users on this thread and others.

Hope to see you back soon!

Is Airwire down or is my problem more local. No internet for 15 mins :(

Edit: Sorry there is already a thread on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Merry Christmas from Airwire.
    /s

My ONT is now showing LOS light. Vodafone coverage is brutal here and the free 20GB to all customers has made the network completely useless. I had to walk 1km just to load this page. €80 a month for this service. 5 months left on contract thankfully. Might as well pay the penalty and switch to a better network.

Airwires router in Athlone died which caused loss of connection for people all over the country.
    Back up now but unstable, they say service will be fully restored by 20:00

My ONT is now showing LOS light. Vodafone coverage is brutal here and the free 20GB to all customers has made the network completely useless. I had to walk 1km just to load this page. €80 a month for this service. 5 months left on contract thankfully. Might as well pay the penalty and switch to a better network.

It sounds like the issue is between your home and the exchange so it's up to Open Eir to sort it.
    I don't know if any of the ISP's could get it resolved faster at this time of year but some of them could possibly give you more accurate,frequent updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,992 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Airwires router in Athlone died which caused loss of connection for people all over the country.
    Back up now but unstable, they say service will be fully restored by 20:00

Bit strange they don't have any redundancy

It sounds like the issue is between your home and the exchange so it's up to Open Eir to sort it.
    I don't know if any of the ISP's could get it resolved faster at this time of year but some of them could possibly give you more accurate,frequent updates.

At the moment I’m more peed off at Vodafone. What was once a decent network delivering 20-30mbps is now constantly Edge or no service. When I was ADSL1 3-4mb, I could always tether on my phone. Even in Thurles town centre what used to be 4G+ is now a struggle to do better than E. they’ve really let that network degrade. Vodafone customer since 1998 (Eircell Nokia 6110) before that TACS 088

At the moment I’m more peed off at Vodafone. What was once a decent network delivering 20-30mbps is now constantly Edge or no service. When I was ADSL1 3-4mb, I could always tether on my phone. Even in Thurles town centre what used to be 4G+ is now a struggle to do better than E. they’ve really let that network degrade. Vodafone customer since 1998 (Eircell Nokia 6110) before that TACS 088

I'm spoilt, I get 70 Mbps 4G right now 2km from Nenagh with vodafone so the airwire outages didn't really have much impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I'm spoilt, I get 70 Mbps 4G right now 2km from Nenagh with vodafone so the airwire outages didn't really have much impact.

This is what I have when Airwire is down today.

0.8 megs down.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have to thank Vodafone for the 20 free GB today, as without it, I would have had nothing when Airwire went down.

Are you PAYG with `Vodafone, or billed? I can't tether my laptop to my phone with Vodafone.

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    I have to thank Vodafone for the 20 free GB today, as without it, I would have had nothing when Airwire went down.

Are you PAYG with `Vodafone, or billed? I can't tether my laptop to my phone with Vodafone.

I'm with PAYG and get 70Mbps and sometimes over 100.
    It's been good for me as it even works on most of the remote locations when I go hiking.

Advertisement