Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Absolute ****e talk - The Annie Murphy will be held up as the worst. That was more down to the audience members contributing. But if that was a negative - just off the top of my head
    - the lovely paternal way he dealt with Sinead O Connor on the Late late show a few years ago after his retirement.
    - The brilliance with how he recovered live on air with the lady who's daughter had just died
    - The topics he tackled head on
    - He was a brilliant moderator - My favourite exchange :
    "Gays" were being discussed and someone made a comment about "men who are besotted with other mens back passages" to which Gaybo said "I suppose to reposte to that is what about me who are besotted with womens front passages?.."
    - So many brilliant interviews and conversations

What a legend

Any link to the woman who daughter died.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

actually you are wrong.
    he wasn't anti anything. he was no revolutionary. he was very much part of the establishment.
    Even though the weekly television show he hosted for over a quarter of a century shone a light on the Irish establishment?

Tubridy mentioned on his radio show that Michael D Higgins and Bob Geldof will be on tonight.
    Add Eamon Dunphy to that list.

Geldof. A man so conceited, arrogant and odious that he turned the Brexit referendum by campaigning for the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Even though the weekly television show he hosted for over a quarter of a century shone a light on the Irish establishment?

A state broadcaster by its very definition cannot be anti-establishment. He may have been allowed the odd subversion/controversy, especially when ratings and ad revenues are involved,but was always operating well within the constraints of the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Geldof. A man so conceited, arrogant and odious that he turned the Brexit referendum by campaigning for the other side.

The only comparison I can think of is if Nigel Farage came over here campaigning for the Gay Marriage Referendum. He could have actually turned the result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Yeah he was no mad radical but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say he was as establishment as the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The cynic in me is thinking the day of the funeral would be a perfect day to sneak in some unpopular policy or government announcement or such like... I'm warning ye government the skibereen Eagle has its eye on you '!'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A German good for Brexit ~ Who’d have thunk it !;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

thesultan wrote: »
    Any link to the woman who daughter died.?

Her family asked RTE to remove the link as it was really distressing for them to have to listen to the call over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

he was a comsumate professional, and like all great media types he had an eye for a good story/scandal.
    irish society was a blocked cesspit brimming with such scandals. all he had to do was lift the lid and let the public take a whiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

he was a comsumate professional, and like all great media types he had an eye for a good story/scandal.
    irish society was a blocked cesspit brimming with such scandals. all he had to do was lift the lid and let the public take a whiff.

In such a surpressed society,ubdoubtedly far more was buried than revealed on the show, just the right level of contrived controversy to boost ratings whilst not pissing off his employers and Official Ireland too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Yeah he was no mad radical but I think it's a bit disingenuous to say he was as establishment as the rest of them.

Byrne knew better than to take an anti-establishment stance that probably would have cost him his job in the Catholic Ireland of yore.

Instead, he let the advocates of tradition and change go at each other, opening up space for debate where previously there had been none. The hard-core traditionalists invariably came off looking autocratic and foolish.

Byrne wasn't especially remarkable for the stances he took on anything, but more for his willingness to moderate intense national conversations during a period of social transformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Colmurph75

A consummate professional- he will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,525 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Her family asked RTE to remove the link as it was really distressing for them to have to listen to the call over and over.

I seen it yesterday somewhere. Although it was only a partial clip. Didn't know that they had asked. Fair play, it was distressing even as somebody not affected by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Oh great.

We can look forward to bitter "Sir Bob" Geldof's tired old diatribe talking about how repressed Ireland is and sounding like it is still 1950 and how great he was to get out and join the UK Establishment.

Pity he didn't stick around to contribute more to Irish society instead of slagging it off at every given opportunity.

While I am loathe to use the expression but the term 'West Brit' was invented with Geldof in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Colmurph75 wrote: »
    A consummate professional- he will be missed.

"he will be missed"

He will be missed by family and friends. He stopped doing the Late Late Show in 1999, when it was on its last legs anyway
    Anything he has done since his retirement from the show was just to top up the pension. None of it was of any great use. We wont miss his efforts on Who wants to be a millionaire etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Edgware wrote: »
    "he will be missed"

He will be missed by family and friends. He stopped doing the Late Late Show in 1999, when it was on its last legs anyway
    Anything he has done since his retirement from the show was just to top up the pension. None of it was of any great use. We wont miss his efforts on Who wants to be a millionaire etc.

Again, wrong on most counts.

Did you not win a LLS postal quiz or something and hold it against him ever since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

chrissb8 wrote: »
    He did coke like alot of people do. Some of them aren't addicts or let it get in the way of their work. Why define him by that. It's like calling Jimi Hendrix a junkie depsite his talent or calling Hemmingway a drunk. People do drugs it doesn't mean they are that drug and defined only by that.

he was a junkie and an absolute hypocrite(gerry ryan), if you can't accept the truth fair enough.
    Give it a few days there's dirt to come out on "uncle" gaybo too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

RIP to him and condolences

But this fawning over him by absolute odious obnoxious chancers like terry prone Ray Darcy tubridy joe duffy bob geldof lou welsh boyzone clowns various conmen politicians and many others

would absolutely turn your stomach.

I don't think so. By all accounts he was quite a boring, almost robotic, personality. I think the worst we will hear is that he could be aloof and unfriendly at times. Boo-hoo.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. By all accounts he was quite a boring, almost robotic, personality. I think the worst we will hear is that he could be aloof and unfriendly at times. Boo-hoo.

oh there is trust me, give it a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

safetyboy wrote: »

That time pop will eat itself :pac: wrecked the show

I remember watching that as a kid. Gas stuff and not a bit of clapping from the audience!

Seem to remember that he interviewed the klf about them burning a million pounds. Young me thought, what's the big deal? It's only paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

What is there? You sound like you know something major already..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Invisible sounds like he has the inside knowledge on something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

He talked about many subjects on the late late show that were controversial, he had many famous guests ,actors ,comedian,s ,singers .
    he was a major influence on irish culture ,in the 70,s and 80,s .
    His radio show was very entertaining ,he could talk to anyone about any subject.
    He was not afraid to criticise the church .
    i don,t think the late late show matters now , apart from the xmas toy show .
    Young people now may not remember him, in a time of 100,s of tv channels , and youtube .streaming tv, video on demand .
    He was at the center of the conversation as ireland slowly changed
    into a more modern open society .In the 70,s and 80,s ,irish people mostly had acess to 6 or 7 channels, bbc,itv, c4,rte ,
    so the late late show was watched by most adults .
    it got great ratings .
    I can,t think of anyone who was more important to irish media and culture in the 70,s and 80,s .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

it'll be interesting when the dirt comes out in a couple of days, just like the drug addict Gerry Ryan
    he was a junkie and an absolute hypocrite(gerry ryan), if you can't accept the truth fair enough.

3 posts from you stating the same thing. Do you want to give us the benefit of your enlightened knowledge or are you just stirring ****e? I have a good idea which one it is.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

3 posts from you stating the same thing. Do you want to give us the benefit of your enlightened knowledge or are you just stirring ****e? I have a good idea which one it is.

He's just attention seeking. He has nothing specific to say, so just stirring the pot. Sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

He had a fling with Sinead O'Connor :D

I found the interaction a bit strange, not father/daughter.

Then again, she was a beauty then and we all could be smitten.

Actually i was just responding to questions, but i'm not surprised a cork man is sticking up for uncle gaybo with his British allegiancies.
    But fine i won't say it again if that makes you happy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Actually i was just responding to questions, but i'm not surprised a cork man is sticking up for uncle gaybo with his British allegiancies.
    But fine i won't say it again if that makes you happy.

What would make me happy would be for you to back up your comments instead of just deflecting with irrelevant bull****.

Advertisement