Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

Are you going to answer the question that several other posters asked of you?

and be banned, no it'll be public knowledge soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Is that a fact? I will bookmark this comment for future reference so. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

C'mon lads, trolling 101 going on here, don't feed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Are you going to answer the question that several other posters asked of you?

Mod

You are right in that regard.

We all have skeletons of some shape or form that we keep hidden.

This is not the time or place to be speculating about any Gay may have.

Drop the hinting please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If bono comes on the late late tribute tonight I’m going to catch my tv and land it on the driveway out through the window.
    Couldn’t be watching that.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s at home since yesterday practicing how to cry.

Christy Moore.thats the boy to send on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

RIP Gay, a legend. The King of Irish TV.

Watching old 'Reeling in the Years' will never be the same again as Gaybo was featured in pretty much every episode 1962-1999

If bono comes on the late late tribute tonight I’m going to catch my tv and land it on the driveway out through the window.
    Couldn’t be watching that.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s at home since yesterday practicing how to cry.

Christy Moore.thats the boy to send on.

As was mentioned earlier Bono is in NZ with the rest of U2 on their tour. That`s not to say he won`t feature on the show in some way.

Tributes to Gaybo continuing on Ray Darcy show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

As was mentioned earlier Bono is in NZ with the rest of U2 on their tour. That`s not to say he won`t feature on the show in some way.

They’ll probably skype the fcuker so.
    Sad face.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

i dont think i can take much more of this.
    yer wan ciara Kelly is on Newstalk with her gushing ad naseums.
    it's just getting far too repetitive now.
    It's natural with someone so well-known, influential and generally well-liked. Once he's buried at the end of the week that will be the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I think Tommy Tiernan is the only Irish presenter that can live up to his ability.

You could definitely drop Gay into an interview situation without preprepared questions and he'd make a good go of it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

If Joe Duffy uses his solpadeine gag one more time, it will underline what a sh*tshow RTE has become in recent times where mediocrity reigns supreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think Tommy Tiernan is the only Irish presenter that can live up to his ability.

Brendan O'Connor has a similar manner to Tommy Tiernan, more interested in the answer than just getting through a list of questions.

Gay had that but was also comfortable interviewing celebrity or political heavyweights in an appropriate manner, which I am not necessarily sure Tommy or Brendan have proven themselves to be able to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't want to take away from his entire legacy but Gaybo started appearing in public wearing a cravat in his latter years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

This rumour trolling is nasty. Whether you liked or disliked a person's public persona.

When Brendan Grace died there were a few similar.

Look most of us no nothing about a famous person who dies, what they're like in person.

So if you can't say something nice best say nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

RIP to him and condolences

But this fawning over him by absolute odious obnoxious chancers like terry prone Ray Darcy tubridy joe duffy bob geldof lou welsh boyzone clowns various conmen politicians and many others

would absolutely turn your stomach.

In fairness, a lot of them got their big break from Gay. I hadn't watched the Late Late since the mid 90's, with the exception of the Toy Show, which I won't watch anymore because it's more of a kids talent show than a toy show now. He did have an incredible lineup of stars most weeks, everyone who was anyone was on a some stage. He did things that others wouldn't and while he wound some people up he seems to have been loved by people regardless of whatever economic background they come from.

Like him or loathe him, he was a consummate entertainer and he did a lot to highlight women's issues, who can forget good old Nell McCafferty? Sure, we have a tendency to canonise even the worst of sinners when they die, but this is probably the most influential media personality Ireland has ever seen and this is going to go on for a while. He wasn't the best he wasn't the worst but a lot of people loved him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't want to take away from his entire legacy but Gaybo started appearing in public wearing a cravat in his latter years.
    Everyone looks forward to being just a little off when they reach a certain age and getting away with it. He might have been afraid of a chill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Mad how times have changed, when Gay started off TV presenters were put on a pedestal. I only just watched that interview with the woman that had the kid with the Bishop (can't remember her name). If he was a presenter today and had acted like that he'd be ran out of town and would be living in Al Porters basement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    If it’s the usual suspects it’s time for bingo:
    Joe Duffy
    Mary McAleese
    Bono
    Brendan O’Carroll
    The High Kings?
    Pat Kenny
    Ray Darcy
    Twink
    ?

I'm starting to feel that when the world ends Twink and cockroaches will be the only living creatures left. How has she survived and why do they keep giving the horrible creature air time. She is vulgar, vile and generally awful. Whenever she's on I have to change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

RIP gaybo, its a pitt the LLS show didn't end for good in 99 as it has never been the same since ! the fact the old ones with gaybo will get so many views

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

sideswipe wrote: »
    Mad how times have changed, when Gay started off TV presenters were put on a pedestal. I only just watched that interview with the woman that had the kid with the Bishop (can't remember her name). If he was a presenter today and had acted like that he'd be ran out of town and would be living in Al Porters basement.

The woman in question was Annie Murphy and the Bishop in question was Eamon Casey. Their names have been mentioned more than once on this thread! Incidentally, the son is Peter Murphy.

It was interesting how The Late Late Show reflected Irish societal change as it went through the decades. It would be interesting to see clips of it from each decade when Gay was presenting to see how things changed: '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s, and maybe even the difference between the start and the end of each decade.

It is also worth noting that The Late Late Show, under Gay Byrne's stewardship (don't forget he was producer as well), was instrumental in bringing certain entertainment acts to a wider audience.

I thought he was the ideal person at the time when he presented the Irish version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, despite what some posters have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

valoren wrote: »
    It is an indication of the quality of his broadcasting that over the length of his career that people can only point to the very few interviews that were duds. He wasn't infallible and given the length of his career he was forgiven for a few misses. I guess that's the way the Late Late show has gone. Byrne could do 99 professional, on point, entertaining interviews but he gets lambasted for grilling Annie Murphy or for showing disdain for Gerry Adams. He set a high standard and nowadays we see Tubridy doing 99 bland and mediocre “interviews” but then getting praised to the hilt for one which was actually par for the course for Byrne. I've always thought Byrne was the epitome of professionalism. Well researched, well prepared and well executed. Class. May he RIP.

My thoughts too. When I think of any interviewers I like, they all have fuck ups during their tenures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭briany

DarTipp wrote: »
    RIP gaybo, its a pitt the LLS show didn't end for good in 99 as it has never been the same since ! the fact the old ones with gaybo will get so many views

Good shout. As a radio host, there would be few better than Pat Kenny, but he was always out of his comfort zone hosting a chat show. The less said about Ryan Tubridy the better.

With Gay Byrne, you had the sense that even the biggest guests were willing to treat him with respect. Ryan Tubridy would grovel at the feet of Vogue Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think that's one fact that Michael Parkinson got wrong. I recall someone who knew Gay Byrne saying yesterday that he did have a drink.

I remember reading somewhere that after the taping of a show, he'd have a glass of whiskey or brandy (I can't remember the brand) and smoke a cigarette.
    I can't recall where I read that.
    But he wasn't a teetotaller. He just despised it when you put your vices before the job. (As Gerry Ryan was wont to do towards the end of his life. )
    Edgware wrote: »
    When Gay Byrne was running the Late Late Show the guest list was secret. Then the show was either very good, good or ****e. With Tubridy we know on a Wednesday which z list soap star is coming on or will know who's book is going to be promoted. We probably think Gay Byrne was excellent because what came after him were average.

Rarely was a bad one, tbh. I mean, the best Pat Kenny/ Ryan Tubridy interview would be considered a weak Gay Byrne interview.
    But it wasn't just the Irish people who noted how good he was- Michael PArkinson very much praised Gay Byrne's presenting style. As did many others. He'd interview a major celebrity the same way he'd talk to the man or woman on the street.
    Good post, Tubridy by comparison seems very scripted and seems almost terrified of any audience interaction, if there is even a murmur out of the audience he scolds them like children straight away wheras Gay encouraged it. Its what made the show imo.

Yeah-and it never descended into Jerry Springer levels of roaring and shouting. When Pat Kenny took it over, it became Springer-esque at times (as it did with Tubridy-Linda Martin, for example). It became less a 'debate' and more 'nasty things being said for the sake of ratings'. It quickly descended into 'ah fudge this-turn it over to something else'. I remember Pat was interviewing Paidi O'Se one night, and Charlie Haughey called into the show. So they put his call on speaker.
    The whole thing descended into a love fest for Charlie (At the time it made me genuinely sick to listen to). Gay wouldn't have stood for that. At best he tolerated Haughey, at worst.... he brought on Terry Keane. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

The LLS started to go downhill when they started naming the guests in the days before the show.
    In Gay's day, you'd have to watch the entire show in case you missed some A lister.
    These days people decide to watch or not based on the guest list.

Also the endless flogging of books these days including from bloggers, chefs and those with no skills or talents whatsoever.

Also when they started shunting off guests after their interview rather than letting them stay on the couch as happens with UK and US chatshows.

Also the deliberate misery slots which were rare enough in Gay's time. He knew the LLS was a light entertainment show and the heavy stuff was for the radio mid week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Bono would stoop to anything . Touring New Zealand after what the All Blacks did to our boys . He’d do anything for money that Bono ;);)

The LLS started to go downhill when they started naming the guests in the days before the show.
    In Gay's day, you'd have to watch the entire show in case you missed some A lister.
    These days people decide to watch or not based on the guest list.

Also the endless flogging of books these days including from bloggers, chefs and those with no skills or talents whatsoever.

Also when they started shunting off guests after their interview rather than letting them stay on the couch as happens with UK and US chatshows.

Also the deliberate misery slots which were rare enough in Gay's time. He knew the LLS was a light entertainment show and the heavy stuff was for the radio mid week.
    Nobody interesting wants to come to Ireland or the Late Late Show any more .

One of these days it will be Turgidy and who ever is locking up .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,201 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Amazing that people are compiling lists of people who will be on tonight to give a tribute.
    Word of advice: Avoid the show if those lists are going to annoy you, it is what remotes are for.

Who did you think would be on a tribute show to him anyway? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

sideswipe wrote: »

He should have recused himself from conducting that interview.
    He was a personal friend of Eamonn Casey. And so he could not be impartial or unbiased. As a professional he should have realised he was not the one to interview her. Someone else should have. Ironically his vehement bias in the interview actually garnered more sympathy and support towards Annie Murphy.

• Advertisement

Will Annie Murphy be on . She put up a good show even when Gay was batting for the Bishop .

In fairness Annie Murphy would tempt a Bishop . Damn Fine Looking Woman .

Advertisement