Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

19 years on a provisional licence.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

ElChe32 wrote: »
    She'll be back on the road this morning no doubts with blatant disregard for the rules of the road. I see the costs were ruled against her, what kind of figure would we be talking?

It’s pointless because she wouldn’t have any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭jmreire

irishgeo wrote: »
    I have emailed Shane Ross , Liz o Donnell and Conor faughan. Let's see what I get back.

Can't be ignored now....just wait for the new's headline " Lady driving on a provisional Licence for 19 years stopped at Garda checkpoint "

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jmreire wrote: »
    I know that for a long time now, I have had to produce my licence at each renewal, and they make a copy which goes in my file. Not enough to say " Sure you already have it on file from last year...." It's checked yearly.

Only some insurers....

My wife was driving on an out of date provisional for 6 years....

She only got caught as she changed cars and the tax was out on it as she only bought it.

She was insured(yes I know they could go after her, but she actually had fully comp all that time and never more then €350 a year)

I honestly think there should be a crack down on it and go after those that can't stick to lanes or indicate on roundabouts and lane changing.

They would catch loads that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Do you need to resit your theory test each time you reapply for a provisional?

Not at all. What would be the point in that? And if you have your learner permit since before there ever was a theory test and keep it up to date by putting in for the test every year then you’ll never sit the theory test?
    Don’t forget. In order to renew a learner permit you only have to show proof that you paid to do a test. You don’t have to have actually sat the test at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Only some insurers....

She only got caught as she changed cars and the tax was out on it as she only bought it.

She was insured(yes I know they could go after her, but she actually had fully comp all that time and never more then €350 a year)

I honestly think there should be a crack down on it and go after those that can't stick to lanes or indicate on roundabouts and lane changing.

In theory they're supposed to and do. Seen somewhere on the forum someone done for not stopping entirely at a stop line for example.

Passed my test back in July and haven't had to pass a Garda checkpoint since. Most my driving in North Dublin.

• Advertisement

I don't believe you. Show me anything like that.

Again we're talking about third party insurance, not on your own car.

If that were the case a large fraction of people would be going around with just as good as no insurance, plenty of people even have bald tyres.

Having less then the legal tyre tread dept, will have consequences for you, whether you are the injured party, or the "defendant" Cars have to meet the minimum safety standards as laid down by the Law. Son-in-law was hit by a French tourist, driving on the wrong side on a bend. So the Insurance assessor duly arrived to inspect the car and asses repair cost's. He spent a good hour examining the car, he looked at everything, and I mean everything, inc. checking the thread dept on the spare wheel in the boot. He also checked the date on each tyre. Goes without saying that he checked lights, brakes and steering. So I asked why was doing such meticulous checking, especially as the Son-in-Law was 100% in the right. So he said he was checking to see if there were any defect's in the car which would have contributed to the accident.
    So just imagine what check's the "defendant's" car went through, and if he found some defect's, then the Insurance would use this to reduce their payout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

splinter65 wrote: »
    Not at all. What would be the point in that? And if you have your learner permit since before there ever was a theory test and keep it up to date by putting in for the test every year then you’ll never sit the theory test!
    Don’t forget. In order to renew a learner permit you only have to show proof that you paid to do a test. You don’t have to have actually sat the test at all.

And the grief I put myself through trying to pass - I shouldn't have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Only some insurers....

Did she make any claim during that period? If she had she would have found her 'insurance' was effectively worthless. The insurance company may have to pay any third party claims but could pursue her for costs of any claim and her comprehensive cover would have been voided if she was in breach of any of the policy terms (such as having a licence or learner permit and being accompanied by a qualified driver)

Depending on the exact wording of the policy she might not have been insured at all, it was just never tested. Some policies terms include a 'holding or having held a licence within the last x years' type clause which allows for some period of lapse of a licence without effecting insurance cover but few policies would accept a lapse of six years.

Had it been tested your wife could possibly have been prosecuted for driving without a licence and driving without insurance (and possibly driving unaccompanied).

I think it will always be difficult to detect some moving violations like failure to use indicators or driving in the overtaking lane when not overtaking as they can happen almost anywhere and detection depends on being in the right place at the right time.

Things like filtering up the hard shoulder to skip traffic at a junction, not indicating on a roundabout, driving in a bus lane or clearway can be targeted at known black spots and make efficient use of limited resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did she make any claim during that period? If she had she would have found her 'insurance' was effectively worthless. The insurance company may have to pay any third party claims but could pursue her for costs of any claim and her comprehensive cover would have been voided if she was in breach of any of the policy terms (such as having a licence or learner permit and being accompanied by a qualified driver)

Depending on the exact wording of the policy she might not have been insured at all, it was just never tested. Some policies terms include a 'holding or having held a licence within the last x years' type clause which allows for some period of lapse of a licence without effecting insurance cover but few policies would accept a lapse of six years.

Had it been tested your wife could possibly have been prosecuted for driving without a licence and driving without insurance (and possibly driving unaccompanied).

I think it will always be difficult to detect some moving violations like failure to use indicators or driving in the overtaking lane when not overtaking as they can happen almost anywhere and detection depends on being in the right place at the right time.

Things like filtering up the hard shoulder to skip traffic at a junction, not indicating on a roundabout, driving in a bus lane or clearway can be targeted at known black spots and make efficient use of limited resources.

She was summoned to court over it...

I'm well aware of all the circumstances and penalties.
    She was extremely lucky and it was the 1st time I seen a judge laughing as she stated she didn't realize and was never asked....

I've been through many a check point or pulled and had a licence check same as in many collisions I've been in...

I don't think she did it on purpose but was afraid to do the test and as per usual with her thinks everything will be fine similar to the mortgage and bill's where she thinks putting nothing towards somehow still means it can be paid.... Not always but a lot....

She obviously has to do the theory test again and has now done it 5 times and failed and the other 2 appointment she forgot about.... So she has paid out for 4 and me 3 which 2 of those she missed.....

The mentality to roads and driving here is poor and as people like her aren't touched what's the point in doing it differently.( I in no way agree)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

She was summoned to court over it...

I'm well aware of all the circumstances and penalties.
    She was extremely lucky and it was the 1st time I seen a judge laughing as she stated she didn't realize and was never asked....

I've been through many a check point or pulled and had a licence check same as in many collisions I've been in...

I don't think she did it on purpose but was afraid to do the test and as per usual with her thinks everything will be fine similar to the mortgage and bill's where she thinks putting nothing towards somehow still means it can be paid.... Not always but a lot....

She obviously has to do the theory test again and has now done it 5 times and failed and the other 2 appointment she forgot about.... So she has paid out for 4 and me 3 which 2 of those she missed.....

The mentality to roads and driving here is poor and as people like her aren't touched what's the point in doing it differently.( I in no way agree)

It can happen - At one stage I was driving on an expired licence for two months without realising. Only for I went to sign a new mobile phone contact and my licence was refused because it was out of date I wouldn't have noticed for a lot longer.

Similarly, when the obligation to have your licence with you whenever driving was brought in, it was 50/50 whether I'd have it with me if I was driving another car or put it back in my own car when I switched back. It usually sits in the glove compartment for years without seeing light of day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Ireland is a Bananna Republic these days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dvdman1 wrote: »
    Ireland is a Bananna Republic these days.
    Bananna Republic Meaning
    "a small state that is politically unstable as a result of the domination of its economy by a single export controlled by foreign capital."

I'd hardly call Ireland politically unstable by a long shot, if you think Ireland is then you need to travel more as you clearly have no world experience. Ultimately this term was created to describe south American country's being exploited by the USA, in particular Honduras. Ireland is nothing like the countrys the term was created for.

But please, do continue using a term that doesn't actually apply to Ireland.

It can happen - At one stage I was driving on an expired licence for two months without realising. Only for I went to sign a new mobile phone contact and my licence was refused because it was out of date I wouldn't have noticed for a lot longer.

Similarly, when the obligation to have your licence with you whenever driving was brought in, it was 50/50 whether I'd have it with me if I was driving another car or put it back in my own car when I switched back. It usually sits in the glove compartment for years without seeing light of day.

With the older (pink) bigger Licence, the glove compartment was the usual residence for it, but with the newer credit card sized one, it fit's comfortably in a wallet, which is where I keep mine. Save's hassle and bother of having to " produce the said document within 10 day's at a nominated Guarda Station"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I wouldn't regard myself as a very good driver but the standard of driving in general is very poor. I know of a man in a rural area who has been driving for over 30 years and for work on a provisional! When asked why didn't he get a full licence he just replied he wouldn't be able to pass!

Hard to understand the way some people think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

saabsaab wrote: »
    I wouldn't regard myself as a very good driver but the standard of driving in general is very poor. I know of a man in a rural area who has been driving for over 30 years and for work on a provisional! When asked why didn't he get a full licence he just replied he wouldn't be able to pass!

Hard to understand the way some people think..
    I’ve this problem with my wife, people convince themselves they can’t/won’t pass. My way of looking at it is, fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd hardly call Ireland politically unstable by a long shot, if you think Ireland is then you need to travel more as you clearly have no world experience. Ultimately this term was created to describe south American country's being exploited by the USA, in particular Honduras. Ireland is nothing like the countrys the term was created for.

But please, do continue using a term that doesn't actually apply to Ireland.

So if sombody describes Ireland as a "kip" you'll then reply with an explanation that a kip is an 18th-century slang term for a brothel and has nothing to do with Ireland...

For this thread i used "Banana Republic" as in my opinion it describes the failings of a system that allows a person to be 19years on a provisional licence.
    The failing of a legal, insurance and enforcement system...muliple societal failings.
    Its a description not literally a banana republic in political science historical terms.
    If I call Ireland a "dump" i dont literally mean its a refuse site but i may use dump for a boards thread on litter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

irishgeo wrote:
    This is what's wrong with Ireland driving laws.

What a very backward country we live in 19 year's FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

irishgeo wrote:
    This woman is 19years on a provisional license.

Google her name and up she pops on you tube explains how she was hurt (scammer)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

What's this craic with people displaying both N and L plates on cars recently? Either someone has a licence or they don't, smacks of covering one's arse. I know it isn't applicable in this instance, but I seriously hope that someone in authority has had a word with that woman and explained that what she's doing is unacceptable, does she have to kill someone before she's taken off the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

blueshade wrote: »
    What's this craic with people displaying both N and L plates on cars recently? Either someone has a licence or they don't, smacks of covering one's arse.

2 people using the same car. One a novice and the other a learner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭highdef

SteM wrote: »

Only one can drive at any given time though so there's only a requirement for either the "L" sticker OR the "N" sticker. The one that is not applicable at any given time should be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

highdef wrote: »
    Only one can drive at any given time though so there's only a requirement for either the "L" sticker OR the "N" sticker. The one that is not applicable at any given time should be removed.

Who remove thems, no one, my sons learning i never remember to take L plate down,even if i did i would then forget to put them up so just leave them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭SteM

Who would bother? You see it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

there should be a L plate for each time they failed the test.

irishgeo wrote: »
    there should be a L plate for each time they failed the test.

Na, it would fill my screen up with my son in the last year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭endacl

She's 35 oh my dear she looks 60....
    Bullcrap all over this lady. 35? Driving on learners permits for 19 years? So she was 16 on her first one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭highdef

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Who remove thems, no one, my sons learning i never remember to take L plate down,even if i did i would then forget to put them up so just leave them on.

If there was a fine and/or points for displaying incorrect plates you can be pretty sure that people's memories would improve fairly quickly.

If there was a fine and/or points for displaying incorrect plates you can be pretty sure that people's memories would improve fairly quickly.

Petty though, hardly a danger to other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

SteM wrote: »

And both too stupid to display their plate when they're driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

blueshade wrote: »
    What's this craic with people displaying both N and L plates on cars recently? Either someone has a licence or they don't, smacks of covering one's arse. I know it isn't applicable in this instance, but I seriously hope that someone in authority has had a word with that woman and explained that what she's doing is unacceptable, does she have to kill someone before she's taken off the road?

Gardaí should be stopping every car with an L plate and no passenger.

Advertisement