Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judgement day for Maria Bailey.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I can understand guests saying it or being of that opinion but has anyone else noticed that almost every presenter on RTE has introduced this topic by first saying how 'sorry they are for Maria Bailey'?

Heard Ray Darcy at it yesterday. I was furious. The top at RTE, politicians and Dublin celebrities are all in a bubble floating above the rest of us and looking down their noses at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I can understand guests saying it or being of that opinion but has anyone else noticed that almost every presenter on RTE has introduced this topic by first saying how 'sorry they are for Maria Bailey'?

A huge amount of them are here neighbors or constituents. Kids in the same schools... invited to the same cosy soirées in each other’s gaffs... bump into each othet in the same upmarket restaurants or holiday resorts.

Bailey has plenty of friends; she got over 40% of the vote that night in the constituency meeting.

The entitled wealthy classes have knives too and aren’t afraid to drive them into somebody’s back.

So the RTE crowd have to be careful about what they say in case they bump into her or her cronies in M&S or Fallon & Byrne’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

deisedevil wrote: »
    Heard Ray Darcy at it yesterday. I was furious. The top at RTE, politicians and Dublin celebrities are all in a bubble floating above the rest of us and looking down their noses at us.

I'd agree with this.
    It is always amusing to hear some media people hating on the concept of 'social media'. They detest the idea of somebody random having an 'opinion' or having the ability to set the agenda. They love to 'rabbleise' it at any given opportunity and, as you say, look down their noses or lecture those expressing an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

deisedevil wrote: »

Soon as 15h00 rocks up, it’s over to Nova for me. But surely the MB circus would be too intense for that overpaid, under performer RD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think one of the problems here is that Fine Gael felt completely emboldened by Fianna Fail's utter destruction in 2011. That election left FG as the main party (76 seats) and there was no credible opposition. The arrogance and confidence were multiplied considerably even with Kenny as leader. It was clear a disgraced Fianna Fail were licking their wounds and were unlikely to criticise anything dodgy for a long time. The downside is that many FG TDs saw the opportunity to make money from the vacuum using very dodgy insurance claims and creaming on dodgy expenses. It is why we have the likes of Bailey/Farrell/Mulherrin topping dodgy expenses lists and making fraudulent insurance claims. They felt untouchable. I am also certain there were other easy money making schemes involving property/land/NAMA too but that's for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fine-gael-braces-for-maria-bailey-backlash-after-swinggate-tds-deselection-by-party-38697488.html

This story will run all the way to GE2020.
    Fine Gael braces for Maria Bailey backlash after 'swing-gate' TD's deselection by party

Fine Gael is braced to fight swing-gate TD Maria Bailey if she decides to take a legal action against the party.

Senior figures are “concerned” that Ms Bailey is refusing to accept her deselection as a result of the controversy over a compensation claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

That doesn't really read like she's letting this go tbh.

IMG-20191114-213203.jpg

This tweet - in response to this letter was one of the best responses I've read on social media in quite some time.
    I can see by your letter head that the emails I sent, as one of your constituents regarding matters coming before the Dail was sent to the correct email address.Yet you never responded- I look forward to having a new TD who will work for their constituents & not their own gain!

Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

RustyNut wrote: »
    I wonder will they do anything about Farrell now? after all what he did was essentially worse than the swing queen. Roaring at two women after the most minor of tips, having his personal injury claim ridiculed by the judge and then having to drop his claim for damage to his car after photographs he produced to back up his claim were shown to be from a completely different incident that happened after the tip he was claiming for.

I wonder what he would do for a brown envelope of cash?

This just shows that the quality of TD that we, the electorate are voting for is so very poor. between Farrel, Bailey, Michael Lowry, Willie O'Dea and all the others that have been proven to be dishonest and doing something illegal.

We should demand that the quality of our TDs be above reproach and a much better batch than the ones we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

This whole entire Maria Bailey falling off a swing erected for photography reasons really is a pack of balls. From the radio interview she admitted to having drinks before going out with her friends, then they bought more drinks in the hotel and she was holding a drink maybe even two on the swing. There's just no personal responsibility whatsoever from her. She claimed she was injured yet she attended a music festival a week later and went on a run or a marathon 3 weeks after the fall. Honestly a blind man can see she's pulling the wool over our eyes.

TV and radio presenters can't really call her out on it though or they will be opening themselves up for libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RedParrot

Remember when Enda met a person holding two pints? Maybe he was referring to Maria Bailey and the ilk and those in the Dail bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Her personality is perfect for success in politics.

It's the playing victim card that is not washing well with me. Humanity has been crossed etc. You are all wrong here.... Is that really the mentality of the Irish politician?

KevRossi wrote: »
    A huge amount of them are here neighbors or constituents. Kids in the same schools... invited to the same cosy soirées in each other’s gaffs... bump into each othet in the same upmarket restaurants or holiday resorts.

Bailey has plenty of friends; she got over 40% of the vote that night in the constituency meeting.

The entitled wealthy classes have knives too and aren’t afraid to drive them into somebody’s back.

So the RTE crowd have to be careful about what they say in case they bump into her or her cronies in M&S or Fallon & Byrne’s.

Quite the story you've concocted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

RedParrot wrote: »
    This whole entire Maria Bailey falling off a swing erected for photography reasons really is a pack of balls. From the radio interview she admitted to having drinks before going out with her friends, then they bought more drinks in the hotel and she was holding a drink maybe even two on the swing. There's just no personal responsibility whatsoever from her. She claimed she was injured yet she attended a music festival a week later and went on a run or a marathon 3 weeks after the fall. Honestly a blind man can see she's pulling the wool over our eyes.

TV and radio presenters can't really call her out on it though or they will be opening themselves up for libel.

She ran a 10k in 53 minutes, when she was questioned about this the interviewer said that not only was she able to run a ten k injured but she did it in a very good time. She cockily responded that that time was not good for her standards. Incredible stuff, brazen brass necked ****

I just wish the interviewer asked her what her personal best was. I’d be willing to bet it’s somewhere very close to that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

TD Laments 10km Run Time

"Maria Bailey has opened up about her disappointing performance in Dún Laoghaire's 'The Bay 10k' run in 2015, admitting that her time of 53mins 56secs was not up to her own standards.

The Fine Gael TD pulled no punches in an interview with RTÉ Radio 1's Sean O'Rourke, responding to his remark that the aforementioned 10km time was "pretty good" with an abrupt "Not for me."

In truth however, a time of 53:56 (gross result) was no small feat, given she was racing just three weeks after sustaining a fall from a swing in a Dublin hotel and undergoing "intensive physio" in the build-up. Not only that but when we consider her time in previous years, her 2015 performance was quite impressive. The result was only 44 seconds slower than her time of 53:12 (gross result) in 2014 and far above her 2012 performance, when she ran a time of 58 minutes and 20 seconds.

That being said, it was over a minute longer than her best 'The Bay 10k' run of 52:21 in 2013."

https://www.balls.ie/athletics/maria-bailey-laments-poor-10km-time-411273

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Quite the story you've concocted

What’s concocted about that? Loads of. RTE people living in SE Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

had she apologised straight away and said it was a poor judgment call she'd still be on the dun laoghaire ticket and we wouldnt be talking about this

And this is why Lorraine Clifford Lee will be okay because straight away she came out apologising - now I don't necessarily agree with that either but she knew that if she wanted a political career she had to immediately and continually apologise. I actually agreed with some of what she said but maybe was ill advised to put in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

And this is why Lorraine Clifford Lee will be okay because straight away she came out apologising - now I don't necessarily agree with that either but she knew that if she wanted a political career she had to immediately and continually apologise. I actually agreed with some of what she said but maybe was ill advised to put in writing.
    I'm beginning to think that wasn't all as it seemed.
    FG buried that story by deselecting Bailey.
    Pavee Point seem to have pretty much forgiven her for any wrong doing and said that there should be more politicians like her.

Similar remarks didn't do any harm to Peter Caseys campaign.
    LCL is coming out of it looking quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Suckit wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think that wasn't all as it seemed.
    FG buried that story by deselecting Bailey.
    Pavee Point seem to have pretty much forgiven her for any wrong doing and said that there should be more politicians like her.

Similar remarks didn't do any harm to Peter Caseys campaign.
    LCL is coming out of it looking quite good.

The Indo are speculating that FG are preparing "for a fight" with Maria Bailey.
    A senior party source said: “She definitely signalled that this might not be the end – but we believe there’s no case, and will stick by the decision.”

It will make for great fun and interesting reading if there'sv suddenly a huge influx of leaked stories surrounding this in the coming weeks, revealing a certain ministers involvement in the affair, and possibly others who have tried to airbrush bailey from their lives.

She left a hint as to how she might act going forward.
    SOR: Were there political dirty tricks involved?

MB: I’m not going to cast aspersions on air, because that’s not the way I play, I will deal with that in my own way ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

This just shows that the quality of TD that we, the electorate are voting for is so very poor. between Farrel, Bailey, Michael Lowry, Willie O'Dea and all the others that have been proven to be dishonest and doing something illegal.

We should demand that the quality of our TDs be above reproach and a much better batch than the ones we have.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

That's what voting for FF and FG is.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

It will make for great fun and interesting reading if there'sv suddenly a huge influx of leaked stories surrounding this in the coming weeks, revealing a certain ministers involvement in the affair, and possibly others who have tried to airbrush bailey from their lives.

Isn’t there precedence from the last election that will favour Maria Bailey? John Perry in Sligo sued and won when he was dropped from the ticket. Plus she could also leak the report that exonerated her if she is fully thrown under the bus.

I would like to see journalists pressuring Leo about getting a guarantee that she won’t end up in the Seanad. Very simple question, Leo can you guarantee the voting public that Maria Bailey will not end up a FG choice to be senator? I’ve a feeling that to keep her mouth shut that that is where she will be going.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

RedParrot wrote: »

Alot of people don't take personal responsibility for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Alot of people don't take personal responsibility for their actions.

And none of them deserve to be paid public representatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

I’ve a feeling this whole escapade isn’t over.

Insert Perpetual swing motion joke here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

rob316 wrote: »
    “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

That's what voting for FF and FG is.

Or any Irish political party at present for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I’ve a feeling this whole escapade isn’t over.

Insert Perpetual swing motion joke here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton%27s_cradle

Brilliant. That’s the one thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

You've been banging this paranoid fantasist drum for months now. Surely it's some elaborate wind up??

Nothing is "coming out" Johnny! Haha. Get a grip and stop obsessing over this.

You've been banging this paranoid fantasist drum for months now. Surely it's some elaborate wind up??

Nothing is "coming out" Johnny! Haha. Get a grip and stop obsessing over this.

To be fair paddy you’ve been here just as long and trying to downplay and laugh off the whole thing as a nothing.

And look where bailey is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Bottom line is we need reform of insurance industry. Voting FG or Maria Bailey or FF won't sort that. But let's focus on one TD and one case, ad nauseum. Pathetic

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Bottom line is we need reform of insurance industry. Voting FG or Maria Bailey or FF won't sort that. But let's focus on one TD and one case ad nauseum. Pathetic

It’s a.topic that didn’t go away and FGs trying to bury it and ignore it has backfired in spectacular fashion.

It’s not a focus on one td. This is going to hurt them and badly in this coming election.

Advertisement