Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Quick question for regular commuters, I'm starting a job in Parkmore next week, starting just before 7am, and I'll be coming in on the M6. What sort of traffic would you typically expect at that time of the morning coming by Doughiska to that junction by KFC and up to Parkmore Road?

I imagine it would get busy at some point in the morning, but would it be heavy already by 6.30am?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Shame they didn't think to look at where the jobs are located.

Where would that be?
    Do you understand PT/infra planning better than academics at NUIG?
    Do you have more data on location of jobs then the said academics?

McGiver wrote: »
    Where would that be?
    Do you understand PT/infra planning than academics at NUIG?
    Do you have more data on location of jobs then the said academics?
    It's a mathematical solution that minimises length while maximising residential coverage.
    It hits some big trip generators like the hospital, University, city center, but misses others entirely like parkmore as no on lives there.
    'We do not consider any details of city topography, road layout, physical geography (river, etc. ) here, and leave it to others to take these in to account. '

It's interesting academically, but it isn't a workable plan by any means.

It's a mathematical solution that minimises length while maximising residential coverage.
    It hits some big trip generators like the hospital, University, city center, but misses others entirely like parkmore as no on lives there.
    'We do not consider any details of city topography, road layout, physical geography (river, etc. ) here, and leave it to others to take these in to account. '

It's interesting academically, but it isn't a workable plan by any means.
    OK, GLUAS proposed routes are different.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Barti wrote: »
    Quick question for regular commuters, I'm starting a job in Parkmore next week, starting just before 7am, and I'll be coming in on the M6. What sort of traffic would you typically expect at that time of the morning coming by Doughiska to that junction by KFC and up to Parkmore Road?

I imagine it would get busy at some point in the morning, but would it be heavy already by 6.30am?

All pretty quiet that hour, deliveries and some early shifts but minimal until after seven.

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »
    Vapourware. Good God. This is the solution they're proposing? Come back in 10 years when Coventry has provided a working solution.
    Furthermore, the capacity is 56 passengers? As in, the same as a bus? Actually it's worse than a bus, as they are only provding for 20 seated passengers.

The proven technology known as a bus, is all that will be offered to Galway for the next several decades, and the quicker we stop talking about this nonsense and get on with advocating for the soonest implementation of Bus Connects for Galway the better.

And the gas thing is that in that presentation, they talk about the prohibitive cost of "normal" light rail systems, yet not very long ago, that was what was being proposed. They were wrong then, they're wrong now, and it won't be happening.

NEVER, NO, NO WAY. Why so narrow-minded and why do you discourage pluarity of opinions? That's not healthy.

Your "proven bus technology" is a failure...the blast from the past. No really, any modern city doesn't consider buses seriously. It's the least preferred option. And those that do certainly do not use double-deckers and manual and/or cash payments at entry! :pac:

Watch that presentation please, especially the slide from the German guy where he says:
    Densities aren't given, they are made!
    This is the critical point that separates the grain (Continental Europe) from the sand (Galway/Ireland).

Firstly, this is what I've been saying all the time. You first build urban train/tram and then you build around it - the density will appear along it as you move on. You must plan future development and future density when building PT. Building PT must go together with city planning. This critical point is even more important for train/light rail planning but applies to any PT.

Secondly, The "low density" argument used in Galway (and Ireland in general) is a total nonsense, as I described previously, the city I'm from has only marginally higher density (1700) compared to Galway (1450) which doesn't prevent it from having an extensive light rail & PT system. It started with 1 line for 100k people and grew to 13 lines for 400k people. But most importantly, PT is a strategic matter, so you should build strategically where you want to grow, not just reacting ex-post, as mentioned above.

That's the thought process all the liveable cities went through - building PT and planning the city growth together. Whereas here, you build randomly, and then only years later you start thinking about the infrastructure, then you only try catching up, quickly botch something up and by the time you build something it's already insufficient and outdated.

Thirdly, The current Galway PT modelling based around buses is wrong as it assesses the current situation, not the future population growth and doesn't integrate with city planning/development/expansion properly. You are essentially bound to be stuck in an ever repeating cycle of "trying to catch up" with a city sprawl disconnected from strategic PT planning. Unless the culture and outlook changes in the GCC.

The predicted population growth is 30-40% in next 15 years, that's a 150k city (+suburbs). So let's say you build this BusConnect in a few years (if lucky), by the time you will have 100k+ population, which means even more cars than now, so then the BusConnect won't cut it, and then absolutely won't cut it as the population grows further beyond 100k, the road network won't cope with extra cars and buses, what will you do then? Try expanding a non-expandable system with low throughput? Back to square one...15 years behind trying to catch up something you can't. This is the reason why reasonably/properly governed cities plan ahead.

Now, you can mock Coventry as much as you like, but their mental state & outlook is leagues ahead of here and they have a vision - light-rail, automation, 5G, driver-less PT, EV taxis, wireless EV charging, e-scooters, and all that is part of the overall strategy. And the Coventry PT Project Manager's statements are gold:
    "We are a small city, but we are an ambitious city. We want to make sure it's an attractive place to live, work and study."
    These two sentences are realy all what you need to have in place to make progress. It's all what counts and it's all about vision/outlook.

GCC and most of the population here lack any similar ambition, interest and modern outlook (it's indeed visible even in this thread despite being more favourable to PT and modern city thinking). I don't actually think that money is an issue, money can be found via various ways, PPE etc. The issue is almost entirely cultural and then poor governance stemming largely from the cultural issue itself. Little to do with money.

If I were you, I would take my opinion based on broader experience on board. Else you risk patting yourselves on shoulders happily in your insularism mocking outsiders as eejits who think they know better while Galway City completely misses the train compared to Europe and even to Limerick & Cork too. It's already 2 decades behind and you can't afford further delays.

Back to you :cool:

PS: The Galway Transport Strategy is poor as is, it is 5 years old and nothing substantial happened since it was created. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭what_traffic

PS: The Galway Transport Strategy is poor as is, it is 5 years old and nothing substantial happened since it was created. :confused:

Agree - was created so could integrate the Ring Road into it - that's why nothing substantial has happened. Its the main plank that the whole GTS is built on.

Your "proven bus technology" is a failure...the blast from the past. No really, any modern city doesn't consider buses seriously. It's the least preferred option.

You might want to rethink that. Taking London as an example, the London Underground network carries 1.35 billion passengers every year, according to TfL, while about 2.1 billion bus journeys are taken in the capital. In fact look at any major city in Europe and you will find the same
    Firstly, this is what I've been saying all the time. You first build urban train/tram and then you build around it - the density will appear along it as you move on. You must plan future development and future density when building PT. Building PT must go together with city planning. This critical point is even more important for train/light rail planning but applies to any PT.

Obviously
    The predicted population growth is 30-40% in next 15 years, that's a 150k city (+suburbs). So let's say you build this BusConnect in a few years (if lucky), by the time you will have 100k+ population, which means even more cars than now, so then the BusConnect won't cut it, and then absolutely won't cut it as the population grows further beyond 100k, the road network won't cope with extra cars and buses, what will you do then?

Galway has barely scratched the surface in terms of a bus network and high frequency timetable. This is without even looking at what impact a network of P&R's and protected cycle lanes would have on the travel preferences of commuters.

None of what you said will change the fact that light rail will not happen in Galway until some time after 2050, it just won't.

2021-2023 - Feasibility study (note this is going to say that Galway should get a LR line or two (this will keep the lobbyists happy and allow them to paint it as a win), but not for a long time and not until after other modal shift projects yield results and have little capacity remaining)
    2024-2040 - Nothing will happen as Cork, Limerick & Dublin will be ahead in the list of LR priorities due to higher populations
    2040-2055 - Route selection, consultation, planning, costing, tendering, objections, court cases, etc etc
    2055- Break ground.....if very lucky

It'll be great when Galway does get light rail (not the silly alternative offered by the Coventry folks) and I hope I'm still around when it starts operating, but for the next few decades, it's not going to figure into any manner of modal shift plans and objectives for Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,688 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Evidence for the school zones? None, but I refer you to the existing research on traffic calming measures

Evidence for the school streets, again I refer to existing evidence on what happens when it become safer to cycle

Spotted this on Facebook a couple of days ago: real feedback from people who actually walk / cycle / drive near these school "zones" (sic), not just ones who quote press-releases.

I've scored out the names / faces in the screengrab below, but you can see the original comments here.

I've had similar experiences as a pedestrian in a public building in the Newcastle area, which has a large expanse of paint outside it. These days,when it's wet I step off the paint and onto the tarmac.

553232.PNG

Spotted this on Facebook a couple of days ago: real feedback from people who actually walk / cycle / drive near these school "zones" (sic), not just ones who quote press-releases.

I've scored out the names / faces in the screengrab below, but you can see the original comments here.

I've had similar experiences as a pedestrian in a public building in the Newcastle area, which has a large expanse of paint outside it. These days,when it's wet I step off the paint and onto the tarmac.

553232.PNG

Sounds like good feedback to give to the council, let us know what their response is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭39steps

Boy racers in souped up cars in Salthill again this afternoon.
    Traffic totally jammed as they drive slowly and noisily back and over the prom.
    They were here last Sunday too.

They're planning to take over Salthill every Sunday for the summer, big meet planned next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

NEVER, NO, NO WAY. Why so narrow-minded and why do you discourage pluarity of opinions? That's not healthy.
    Funnily enough I don't say never - light rail may indeed come to Galway at some stage in the future. However, I might remind you that light rail only came to Dublin when it had more than a million inhabitants. Might be a while before Galway gets to that stage ...
    Your "proven bus technology" is a failure...the blast from the past.
    OK. So what you don't like about buses is that they are old-fashioned. Right.
    No really, any modern city doesn't consider buses seriously.
    Any evidence to back that up?
    And those that do
    Hang on - I thought you just said that none do. Hmmm ...
    certainly do not use double-deckers and manual and/or cash payments at entry!
    I don't disagree here, and I'm not advocating it. But it shows your own "narrow-minded"ness when you think that if I'm advocating buses, it must be only double-deckers with cash payments at entry that I'm advocating :rolleyes:
    You must plan future development and future density when building PT. Building PT must go together with city planning.
    Indeed. But unlike you, I don't believe that public transport is steel wheels or nothing.
    Secondly, The "low density" argument used in Galway
    I never made any such argument so I won't be responding further to this point.
    Whereas here, you build randomly
    Ah jaysus, you don't know how things work here at all. We don't build randomly - we buy cheap agricultural land on the outskirts of cities and then bribe/lobby politicians to change the zoning to residential. Job done ;)
    and then only years later you start thinking about the infrastructure, then you only try catching up, quickly botch something up and by the time you build something it's already insufficient and outdated.
    Agree 100%. Build first. Plan later. It's the Irish way. Or it was. Maybe it's coming to an end? We can only hope.
    The predicted population growth is 30-40% in next 15 years, that's a 150k city (+suburbs). So let's say you build this BusConnect in a few years (if lucky), by the time you will have 100k+ population, which means even more cars than now
    Which actually won't be a problem if they're not allowed on city streets.
    so then the BusConnect won't cut it, and then absolutely won't cut it as the population grows further beyond 100k, the road network won't cope with extra cars and buses, what will you do then?
    :confused: What are you on about?

First, if we do Bus Connects properly, there won't be more cars on the streets, because they will be banned. Are you seriously telling me that we are going to have so many buses in Galway that there won't be room for them on the bus-only streets? I'm delighted to hear it ... but you (should) know well that won't happen.
    Now, you can mock Coventry as much as you like
    Before I mocked Coventry I did look at (some of) their presentation until I realised they were talking about a sub-optimal system that doesn't yet exist.

I mocked them because it had all the hallmarks of sales people making a pitch - I said let's see where they are in ten years time, when the bloody thing has actually been rolled out.

I also said that I think that a public transport vehicle that that only has twenty seats is a poor offering.
    GCC and most of the population here lack any similar ambition, interest and modern outlook (it's indeed visible even in this thread despite being more favourable to PT and modern city thinking).
    And again we're back to tram = modern, bus = "old-fashioned". It's a nonsense argument, not to mention extremely "narrow-minded".
    If I were you, I would take my opinion based on broader experience on board. Else you risk patting yourselves on shoulders happily in your insularism
    Tell me of this "outside world" you speak of - since (in your mind) I've never left Galway ... :rolleyes:
    mocking outsiders as eejits who think they know better
    Nope - I don't restrict my mocking of sub-optimal solutions to outsiders - Galway people like Niall O'Brolochain are a target for mockery too. And mostly because they are part of the "train-loving, bus-hating" brigade - any solution involving a train (train, light rail, very light rail :rolleyes:) is good, any solution involving a bus is bad. Steel wheels good, rubber wheels bad.
    No disagreement there. We all want them to get on with it.

And here's a final one for you, not in your post - where are you going to put this tram in Galway? Do you agree with the proposed alignment? Because if so, let's put a tram-like QBC (raised platforms, single-decker, traffic-light changing, cashless multi-axle buses), along that alignment to get an indicator of its usefulness, without incurring the light rail (or "very" light rail) expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

They are hoping making oranmore a one way system.

More cycle buses kicking off around the city

https://twitter.com/RoryCarrollIRL/status/1394390589358104578?s=20

https://twitter.com/josephmcginley/status/1394259979499151363?s=20

And in the county too, with the one starting in Gort

and this one in Clarinbridge which was on the news last year

The Cycle Buses are popping up everywhere in the last few weeks! They shouldn't be needed but fair play to everyone involved for making them happen!

The Cycle Buses are popping up everywhere in the last few weeks! They shouldn't be needed but fair play to everyone involved for making them happen!

Indeed and I think Irish Cycle summed it up nicely in this article

NEW CYCLE BUSES FOR SCHOOL CHILDREN ARE “SYMBOLS OF FAILED TRANSPORT POLICY AND STREET DESIGN” - https://irishcycle.com/2021/05/17/new-cycle-buses-for-school-children-are-symbols-of-failed-transport-policy-and-street-design/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Should call the place "Crawlway" :pac:

Expansion of the streets to close for outdoor dining
    Forster Street added to Galway City’s summer outdoor dining plans

Full story - https://www.galwaydaily.com/top-stories/forster-street-added-to-galway-citys-summer-outdoor-dining-plans/?fbclid=IwAR2UDqsDlmij72iLIBlVasvISSAG4jTfTrsQmEaZbQrGm8pSnIr1VRz4b8k

Galway City Council has added Forster Street to its plans to pedestrianise city centre areas this summer to support outdoor dining.

The council has announced that Forster Street will be closed to traffic from 6pm – 11pm each evening to facilitate outdoor dining.

This measure will last from June 7, when bars and restaurants are allowed to resume outdoor dining, until September 30.

This is in addition to:
    • Raven’s Terrace - pedestrianized 24/7
    • Small Crane - pedestrianized 24/7
    • William Street West - Evening closure
    • Dominick Street Lower - Evening closure
    • Dominick Street Upper - Reduced to one lane
    • Woodquay - Reduced to one lane
    • Middle Street - Removal of parking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,174 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

An Pucan must have asked for that addition! ;)

Is Forster street closed for all traffic or will the buses still be able to run through it? College road would be a fairly busy route for buses. I guess there could de diversions via Lough Atalia + Station Rd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Fitz* wrote: »
    An Pucan must have asked for that addition! ;)

Is Forster street closed for all traffic or will the buses still be able to run through it? College road would be a fairly busy route for buses. I guess there could de diversions via Lough Atalia + Station Rd

You've answered your own question there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

foster street closed..... so how are all the buses to get through/loop around....?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Laviski wrote: »
    foster street closed..... so how are all the buses to get through/loop around....?

Up Fairgreen Rd and through the station, easy enough really and it's only in off peak hours. Where's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Up Fairgreen Rd and through the station, easy enough really and it's only in off peak hours. Where's the issue.

That's gated by BE, not all buses are BE.
    Council would need to ask and company needs to formally approve, that's not said anywhere.

It's not for the council to assume BE would allow increased traffic.

That's gated by BE, not all buses are BE.
    Council would need to ask and company needs to formally approve, that's not said anywhere.

It's not for the council to assume BE would allow increased traffic.

BE are unlikely to willingly provide Burkes or Farrells with access.

And that's just the scheduled services. In summer, there are also tour buses.

(I'd love to be wrong .... )

Which bus routes are you talking about here? Scheduled services from the Fairgreen Coach Station?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Which bus routes are you talking about here? Scheduled services from the Fairgreen Coach Station?

Burkes (Tuam-Galway) and GoBus (Ballina-Galway route) currently go via Foster Street.

Space Dog wrote: »
    Burkes (Tuam-Galway) and GoBus (Ballina-Galway route) currently go via Foster Street.

Burkes, 3 buses, and Go Bus 1 bus.

Thats it after 6pm

Not a deal-breaker.

An alteration to a route, sure, but not the end of the world

Burkes, 3 buses, and Go Bus 1 bus.

Thats it after 6pm

Not a deal-breaker.

An alteration to a route, sure, but not the end of the world

Agree. If they were running on tram tracks we might have a problem........:D:

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »

As do Farrells (Athenry) - providers of the only NightLink bus in the county.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement