Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

klr87 wrote:
    There are two Gardai at the roundabout near Blackrock, screening inbound traffic from Knocknacarra and Threadneedle road. I watched them for a few minutes. Basically, any car with boy and/or girl racers was directed up Threadneedle. I saw several cars having to U-turn around the roundabout and go back up Threadneedle from whence they came. "Normal" traffic was let through.

I wonder what the legal basis for redirecting certain cars is? Just because a Garda doesn't like the cut of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

bobbyss wrote: »
    I wonder what the legal basis for redirecting certain cars is? Just because a Garda doesn't like the cut of them?
    I wondered about that myself. Probably something along the lines of "local access only". Anyway, those Gardai are no longer there, but there is now a checkpoint outside the Galway Bay Hotel for inbound traffic. I saw at least one ticket being issued.

There is also a certain amount of racer traffic on the Dalysfort road, and I also saw a whole stream of them heading east along Dr. Mannix Road, probably trying to get back onto the Prom.

Needless to say, there's been a fair amount of abuse being directed at people walking along the footpath minding their own business, usually from back-seat occupants. I received some of that myself, but since I wear earphones, I couldn't hear their words of wisdom.

Back in my apartment, I can still hear their cars. The noise is incessant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What's going on anyway is it Boy Racers Day today or something, Pearse Stadium at some game on and the loud speaker man hollering and all this car noise in the distance.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Everyone knows that the 23rd of May is St Buckfast day!! Where all boy/girl racers give thanks by revving their engines and releasing black fumes into the air in tribute!!!

In a seriousness it's very annoying for locals I would imagine with the noise and the shouting at people walking by is not on...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

klr87 wrote: »
    Needless to say, there's been a fair amount of abuse being directed at people walking along the footpath minding their own business, usually from back-seat occupants.

I got a bit of that one evening this week in town, from a boy-racer car. Am guessing the lads are out of work and bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Very poorly policed by the Guards. Needs a bit more than closing a car park and one guard doing a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

I got a bit of that one evening this week in town, from a boy-racer car. Am guessing the lads are out of work and bored.

Any worse than the abuse people get on a match day in pearse stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

That could be the textbook definition of whataboutery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Let them at it, very few activities that you can do nowadays, even less so that are Covid safe. Other than a few modified cars which aren't legal, what laws were broken?

Since Covid we've really become a society that thinks 'The Establishment' needs to control people's activities, especially when we don't personally like them. I'd love to have seen it, have some buzz and something a bit different to usual about.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I'd love to have seen it, have some buzz and something a bit different to usual about.

You could have seen it last Sunday, or the Sunday before, or the one before that, or catch it next Sunday, or the Sunday after that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Let them at it, very few activities that you can do nowadays, even less so that are Covid safe. Other than a few modified cars which aren't legal, what laws were broken?

This is a fair point. Galway is at gridlock at the best of times.
    Since Covid we've really become a society that thinks 'The Establishment' needs to control people's activities, especially when we don't personally like them.

God forbid "the establishment" (i.e. elected government) should seek to restrict the idiotic element of our society in the face of a deadly disease.

Since Covid we've really become a society that thinks 'The Establishment' needs to control people's activities, especially when we don't personally like them. I'd love to have seen it, have some buzz and something a bit different to usual about.

You clearly haven't gone down there or looked in any detail.

Its causing such gridlock that businesses which are already on their knees are now being deprived of one of their main days.

Most of these are 18-25 and wont step foot outside of their cars so they're not helping the businesses and causing huge delays.

There must have been 100s out there today as I saw lines going out at 1.

Theres a difference between a one off nuisance and people organising a weekly event which is driving people away from the area when businesses have been closed a year.

I turned around last Sunday and went home and walked to town after seeing a line of traffic as far as Grattan Park.

Do you think anyone will order food for collection or delivery if the area is like after a Galway Championship match?
    One of the politicians said some business can't sustain their levels of output if it goes on.

I see some politicians are chipping in on it so there might be a response.

I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with traffic but....
    If there's three or four lads or girls in a car, it's unlikely their from the same household, so that's NOT Covid safe.
    And your second statement is just complete bollix. People by and large, decided to restrict some of their freedoms for the greater good. Some selfish gob****es decided their own enjoyment was more important than the greater good and acted accordingly. And people like you use terms like Establishment like we're in some conspiracy novel.

Its causing such gridlock that businesses which are already on their knees are now being deprived of one of their main days.
    /quote]

Every coffee shop in salthill has made a record profit in the last year. Ques outside all of them as usual today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its not about laws being broken, it's about people being d1ckheads and negatively impacting businesses and the public enjoyment of a local amenity. If they wanna go rev their engines at each others boot then go find a field in North Galway or Mayo where many of them are from.

/quote]

Every coffee shop in salthill has made a record profit in the last year. Ques outside all of them as usual today.

Record profits? You're the group accountant for Salthill cafes I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Most of these are 18-25 and wont step foot outside of their cars so they're not helping the businesses and causing huge delays.

This is an absolute lie.

I saw several lads and ladies get out of their cars to take a piss around the park area. :pac:

Record profits? You're the group accountant for Salthill cafes I assume.

A tad aggressive

• Registered Users Posts: 26 dundrum23

Noise was incessant all day. We just wanted to relax after the week of work and have a bit of peace. The revving and fumes were insane.

A tad aggressive

Because I called out your silly/baseless comment? Strange take.

• Advertisement

I've never seen anyone in the city-centre get abuse on a match day in Pearse.

I remarked on it 'cos it was unusual to experience it here.

There are days when I avoid Salthill, and matchdays are some of them.

But again, you find it annoying. What laws are being broken? I fail to see any basis from blocking these people from coming to salthill. If a 70 year old can drive down the salthill prom, why can't a 21 year old? There is no requirement to get out of your car and spend money enshrined in the bylaws of Galway!

But again, you find it annoying. What laws are being broken? I fail to see any basis from blocking these people from coming to salthill. If a 70 year old can drive down the salthill prom, why can't a 21 year old? There is no requirement to get out of your car and spend money enshrined in the bylaws of Galway!

You're completely missing the point , is a 70 year old going to cause city wide traffic issues for absolutely no reason other than to block one part of the city, no they aren't. Anyway there's a thread in it already so no point derailing this one.

You're completely missing the point , is a 70 year old going to cause city wide traffic issues for absolutely no reason other than to block one part of the city, no they aren't. Anyway there's a thread in it already so no point derailing this one.

What right have we to stop them is my point? Several things cause traffic issues, just because it's something 'those pesky young people' do is not a valid reason for it's cessation.

What right have we to stop them is my point? Several things cause traffic issues, just because it's something 'those pesky young people' do is not a valid reason for it's cessation.

When it's an organised event to deliberately block up an area of the city then I believe the authorities have every right to deal with it.

I see the new hybrid buses are out today, on the 402. New livery too, very striking from the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭zell12

blaris wrote: »
    I see the new hybrid buses are out today, on the 402. New livery too, very striking from the front.
    26 buses were delivered to the city this week! Are they quieter or such?

zell12 wrote: »
    26 buses were delivered to the city this week! Are they quieter or such?

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/bus-eireann-to-replace-85-of-galway-city-fleet-with-electric-hybrids/

blaris wrote: »

Yes.

There's been one or two on the 407 for the last few days. Lots of nice features.

• Advertisement

It says on GBFM that they can run on electric only for 2.5 km. What's the story the rest of the time. Are they diesel powered? Are they plug-in hybrid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement