Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2019-20 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

RIP Cliff Robinson. 53 years old. Cause of death unknown. Great role player for so many teams.
    https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/29/trail-blazers-cliff-robinson-dies

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Igotadose wrote: »
    RIP Cliff Robinson. 53 years old. Cause of death unknown. Great role player for so many teams.
    https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/29/trail-blazers-cliff-robinson-dies

Likely heart. I was discussing this with a cardiologist once and he was saying that with very tall people the heart has to work extra hard to pump the blood around the body, and it’s not proportionally larger than the heart of a regular person. If you look at the life expectancy of a lot of the older players an awful lot of them did very young (relatively) v the rest of the population. One standout exception is Kareem, but he has never put on weight after he stopped playing and diet, yoga, and meditation were always a big part of his life.

The idea that a black man in America isn't allowed to be concerned about the safety of black people in America because he doesn't have a nuanced take on the politics of a nation halfway around the world is just a blatant attempt at telling him to shut up.

To be fair, I don’t think that’s what most critics are saying. Sure there are some idiots saying crap like that with that intent, but I don’t believe most are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

The idea that a black man in America isn't allowed to be concerned about the safety of black people in America because he doesn't have a nuanced take on the politics of a nation halfway around the world is just a blatant attempt at telling him to shut up.

People didn't care about the NBA'S relationship with China until LeBron James essentially told Darryl Morey to shut his mouth and don't criticise China because it could cost me money.The majority of people are critical of the NBA'S relationship with China because of the hypocrisy involved i.e protest social injustice in USA but keep my mouth shut about China for financial gain. Nobody expects anyone to have to care as much about social issues abroad as the do for domestic issues but they also find it a bit hypocritical when the NBA lectures everyone on social issues when they aren't squeaky clean themselves and ignore great social injustice for financial gain, it's easy for them to take a stand on police shootings in USA as their fanbase mainly agrees with them on this issue.There is nothing wrong with pointing out public figures hypocrisy when they lecture people in how they should behave themselves.

Likely heart. I was discussing this with a cardiologist once and he was saying that with very tall people the heart has to work extra hard to pump the blood around the body, and it’s not proportionally larger than the heart of a regular person. If you look at the life expectancy of a lot of the older players an awful lot of them did very young (relatively) v the rest of the population. One standout exception is Kareem, but he has never put on weight after he stopped playing and diet, yoga, and meditation were always a big part of his life.

Apparently he had a stroke 2.5 years ago. That itself wouldn’t be the cause of death, but would lead to a lot of other complications thereafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I see his point but it’s whataboutery. You can be concerned about both.

The whataboutery here is the endless crusade against LeBron tbh. But it's certainly nothing new.

Lakers vs Rockets with Russ back will be a very interesting series imo. Really looking forward to it.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The whataboutery here is the endless crusade against LeBron tbh. But it's certainly nothing new.

Not true, I’ve given him credit where it is due, but again he can’t be seen as being immune from criticism. Did you look at the Whitlock video I linked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Where are people watching live games?

I have Sky on Now tv, but they aren't showing as many as I hoped.
    I tried the NBA tv app, but it's constantly buffering. I'm on Imagine, and just measured it at 70Mbps, but the raptors/celtics game is unwatchable on laptop or when I try casting to tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sky's coverage has been piss poor.

Will we show the games that are on at a reasonable hour? No, we'll only show the 2am games.

• Advertisement

YouTube are showing some games on the nba channel but I’ve only found these by chance when they’re on.

I know Paddy Power used to steam games but you need an account to view them. Also don’t know if this has stopped in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Watching clippers v Mavs, I’ve noticed Luka really finds it hard to let bad calls go
    In the last game he was the same but they were getting blown out so you can understand the frustration
    It’s a bit early in this game for him so be on top of the refs so much

Pretty dirty by Morris, ejected. Not the worst foul in the world but pretty dumb

No harm for Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Two hits to the head, no way he was not going to get ejected, the stepping on Luka's foot in the last game wouldn't have been forgotten about either.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Two hits to the head, no way he was not going to get ejected, the stepping on Luka's foot in the last game wouldn't have been forgotten about either.

Doc rivers defending him saying he was playing the ball..lol
    It was so obvious what he was doing, his reaction after also, just staring Luka down, giving him that F U look

• Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The stat the commentators gave about the Clippers scoring 154, shooting 22/35 3 pointers, compared to the 1990 Celtics scoring 157 with 1/6 3 pointers.

Both are ridiculous and show just how much the game has changed, but 154 points from regular baskets and free throws is insane.

No way that was a foul, twas nice and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Jamal Murray is unconscious right now.
    Last 3 games:
    47.33 ppg on 64.77% shooting, 61.66% from 3

*edit: Spida too:

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1300272837148569602

Watched the last quarter of okc v rockets
    CP3 was unreal, really took the bull by the horns
    Westbrook was very poor, loose passes, air balls, not at the races at all

• Advertisement

Jimmy Buckets with the performance of the night, coming up massive in the 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Crazy that by simply making it to Game 7 Chris Paul has now led OKC further than Westbrook ever did post-Durant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Surprised Toronto didn't take a timeout at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Miami / Lakers finals for me

I fancied the Clippers all year but dont trust Paul George to share the load against the Lakers anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah, he's out on his own. Best player in the league by a mile.

I really dont buy this . Block up the lane like Miami did and what does he do?

Crazy crazy finish to heat and bucks game, Miami would of been sick if they lost that game
    Contributions from all over the Miami team, Dragic is such a lovely player, doesn’t seem so long ago he was getting passed the baton from Nash

Some very controversial calls by the ref at the end of that game, balanced out I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I really dont buy this . Block up the lane like Miami did and what does he do?

Giannis really needs to take control of the next couple of games and get them back on track.

Giannis really needs to take control of the next couple of games and get them back on track.

Right now, I really can’t see the Bucks winning 4 out of the next 5 games
    They are swarming Giannis and there doesn’t seem to be a plan B as yet from the Bucks.
    Really great production from the entire Heat team, it’s very impressive to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

He's been in early foul trouble in both games which hasn't helped matters. Doesn't really bother me which side wins, but it'd be nice if it wasn't another sweep.

Advertisement