Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation (Apple) [** SPOILERS **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Unless they have radically changed the vault from the books then its not the exo threat however at the end of the 5th book, Foundations edge, its clearly stated the purpose of the foundation and the path for humanity was to prepare itself for any potential exo threat so it seems they are running with that idea maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm caught up now to episode 8 so can finally read this thread, watched them all in the last few days. I've never read the books but have to say I'm really enjoying it. The acting, script, visuals and story all seem pretty good to me. Not sure I understand the negativity here, maybe it's because I binge watched it or didn't read the books

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shred

I really enjoyed episode 8, hopefully 9 & 10 continue in a similar vein to finish the season on a high!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Talisman

Some of the negative reactions online remind me of the outrage of some die hard Tolkien fans when they first saw the first of the LOTR movies. Many felt that Peter Jackson had failed to deliver the epicness of the journey amongst other things. The entrance to Moria was a hop, skip and a jump away from Rivendel and Rohan was just a couple of minutes jog around the corner from Llothlorien etc. And that was years before giant eagles swooped in and saved the day!

The show is certainly not Asimov's Foundation. It's the source material re-imagined. In a world where nobody had heard of Isaac Asimov and read the books I think the show would be considered ground breaking - that sounds like the premise for a Danny Boyle movie.

I've been watching the episodes in batches of two and it flows better, episodes viewed in isolation disjoint the story for me. I'm caught up to episode 8 now so next week I have episode 9 and the season finale to look forward to.

As a first season I think it has done a decent job of establishing the universe but it could unfurl quite quickly if they stray too far from the source material and lose themselves.

My first thought when I saw that Brother Dawn was colour blind is that Demerzel has been tweaking their genetic code. That would be an interesting twist to the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭corkie

Got to read the second foundation trilogy by other authors from searching here, previous source didn't have 'foundations triumph'

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm confused - how does Salvor have a memory of opening the vault key thing

Has not been explained very well, but she has had visions from (i assume) the vault of 'Gaal Dormicks' memories before in earlier episodes.

But the vault sent a head of the 'Foundation's Crew', don't know how that is possible unless 'Hari Sheldon' transmit more to the vault.

Or she is just happens to be the 'Chosen One' but the creators ruled that out and just said the story may hint at it.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

9: Well that gave me

a bit of a giggle at the end! I was like wooo! more Jared Harris for the show! 😁

The huntress just went totally delusional there at the end.. could also see the show push at the edge of it's special effects budget.

Empire and Brother Dawn.. well that was something! I can't see Brother Day being of a different opinion that Brother Dusk.. Clone Dawn Cleon next episode I'm guessing

As for end of Empire.. I dunno.. I could see possibilities from what I remember Sheldon saying earlier.. but I'm not sure if I'm off or if he mentioned the outer reaches as being a possibility. Maybe I just remember Empire calling the outer reaches a threat.

I assume this is something from episode 9 which I haven't seen but I think it's probably because of her DNA.

In episode 2, Gaal Dornick had a zygote surgically removed and placed in the 'seed bank'. I think that when the outpost was established on Terminus, Mari Hardin carried it to full term. It would explain why people on Terminus always believed that Salvor was an outlier, biologically she is Gaal Dornick's daughter and should share some of her traits.

In episode 1, Gaal did not pass out when the transport ship jumped to Trantor. I'm guessing that Salvor would not be incapacitated by the ship jumping in episode 9.

I think that the Vault uses similar technology for the projected null field. We've seen that the field affects every living creature except Salvor Hardin. I'd be willing to bet that Gaal Dornick or Spacers would also not be affected by it.

The premonitions that Salvor gets at various points during the series are similar in nature to those the Gaal has had. I had thought that the reciting of the primes had given Gaal some hee-bee gee-bee connection to the mathematics of the universe and this was the mystical source of the super power but that is not something that Salvor does.

Salvor has a more refined power. It could be the case that Gaal activated the power within herself but Salvor was born with it switched on. She can predict the coin toss, she can read people and their memories. She also had a recollection of Gaal's memories when the Anachreon soldiers first attacked Terminus. Would it be too far fetched to think that she could recall something from the memories of either Gaal or Raych because they are both part of her?

She didn't exhibit that type of connection with either Mari or Abbas Hardin. Abbas had to tell her about how he came to be on Terminus. She could have used her powers to lift that information straight out of his head or sensed it but she didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I read Foundation as a teenager and it was up there with the best stuff I read at that age, the show is barely sparking any memories though. Its a bit sterile as a show, you cant call it gripping or binge watchable.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I just finished watching the final two episodes and I'm delighted to say that I think they pulled it together well. The time skip sets up the next season to feature the beginning of the conflict between the Foundation and the Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Really enjoyed the finale although I'm a bit dubious about all this waiting around in cryosleep that people are doing.

Too bad about baby Cleon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well that was season one! A good science fiction show. Story driven, not action driven. Not that it doesn't have action.

Solid story, solid acting performances.

One real standout had to be the combo practical and computer effects for the space, spaceships n tech. Very good work put in there!

10: Oh my head!

That was some jump in time there at the end!

So, the Warden meets Gaal! Ha, that's gas that I half guessed the relationship and time jump at episode 8!

I.. I think the daughter.. I dunno.. maybe she's older or close to the same age as the mother!

So rare for shows to trust that idea to audiences!

Anyway..

So.. by this point.. Foundation probably has a good few ships built up. The three Empires might be all new and all modified.

Hadn't seen the Sheldon plan being a fight. They'd sold me on the other purpose of foundation. It could be both though.

To my understanding of it then, it's no longers looks like Foundation vs Cleon Empire. It's now going to be Foundation vs Alter-Cleon Empire. I wonder if Demerzel will still be around. Yeah gotta be.

😱

Demerzel Killing Dawn like that! Damn that original Cleon programming! Ruthless!

😱

Then the Robot Face and scream of Demerzel!

I wouldn't mind more exploration of the Robot history (or present if they are still about but maybe just hiding.. or both)

Future:

Looking forward to a season two! This show has be good new Science Fiction for me!

I see on the wiki it's been renewed for eight episodes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Havent read the books but really enjoyed the series. Father read them yonks ago and can remember bits, he also is enjoying it. Calls it adult Sci Fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

A bit of mixed bag of a season. Jared Harris has ben wasted on this. Thought it was funny the scene of Middle Cleon complaining to the revolutionary about not knowing why people want to wreck the empire and then showing what a completely over the top villain he is. I would watch a supercut of only the Cleon scenes and that would be a top 10 scifi show

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Didn't not read the books, really enjoyed this show.

Epic Sci Fi, I'll probably end up reading the books now instead of waiting for season 2.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Finished this at the weekend and I'm now watching it again with my wife. I never read the books so had no base of comparison.

Fantastic show. Slow burner for sure, but the cast is stellar.

I find myself disappointed that there will not be an episode tomorrow. I really did not expect that.

This show has quietly engaged me, I really really want to know where they are going with this. I'm assuming that the entire secondary cast will have to be cut, which is a shame as I really liked Hugo. Guy was a properly rounded male character, was able to be effortlessly bad ass but still be an actual human with emotions.

This show, so far, gives me feelings as to what I wanted Discovery to be. And shows how badly they have made a balls of Michael, Sal is everything that Michael is but better in every aspect.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

As an aside, amazing feather in the cap for Troy studios. The show looks amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Must say I really really liked this show, going to read the books over Christmas I think. Hopefully (Like the expanse) it will be even better in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a pity about the lockdowns , more of the outside stuff was going to be filmed in Ireland

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I’m reading the books at the moment.

The Apple show is based on the concept of the novels but they are two very different things.

The show is fantastic. Epic in every sense. I was curious as to how the were going to deal with the time jumps necessary to to tell the story while getting the audience to take to new lead characters but the last few minutes of the season finale answers that.

I find Dornick to be very unlikeable. I get the frustration in dealing with what is thrown at her but does she have to be such a whingebag?

Salvore and the Cleons are brilliant characters and the supporting cast are all great. Harris as always is wonderful.

Is season 2 in production yet?

@Need a Username

The series is 'based' on the books, but not a direct adaption, more of inspired from.

Don't really want to post links in case of spoilers.

Back in October, Foundation was greenlit for Season 2. A release date has not been confirmed at this time, but sometime in late 2022 is the best bet.

November 20: -

As the production of Foundation season 2 has only just been announced and is in its early stages we don't expect Apple TV Plus to announced the launch date any time soon, although we'd expect late 2022 or 2023 to be the most likely. Keep an eye on here for any updates.

I know the series is not a direct adaptation - that is what I was telling knee jerk. That the TV series is based on the concept behind the story on the books, not the books themselves. Maybe I phrased it wrong.

Thanks for the information on season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Just binged this in the last week and I loved it .

proper grown up Sci-fi

couldn’t happen on network to , hope Apple TV survives long enough to finish it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

After the first 3 episodes I had seen, this had shown a lot of promise, and I think it delivered quite well. Story-wise the world-building opened up and gained momentum, with investment in the characters. Bit confusing in parts, but all came good in the end. Felt a bit Star-Trekky towards the end with the Phara/Invictus ploy, but i can live with that (I don't know if that was in the book series). Some great epic sci-fi in there, handled really well, with some nice tecchie gadgets thrown in for good measure. Looking forward to season 2.

Advertisement