Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

last time i ended up saying anything to a cyclist he ended up standing in the middle of the road, challenging me to a bout in which i suspect the queensberry rules did not apply.
    I think I met him once or twice when I called out "Red light asshole!".

Interestingly, the same fella once lectured me for riding too far out in the lane (he was hugging the kerb or the car doors). The then proceeded to run a red light and start riding on the footpath...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you want to get abuse tell somebody they are doing something illegal or dangerous.
    I shouted at a guy about to break a red light as he didn't understand that it meant the light was green for the other road traffic. He could easily have been hit if he continued. He started arguing that I shouldn't have shout to warn him he was going to get hit by a car.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You're not the police. Lecturing other road users rarely ends well in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You're not the police. Lecturing other road users rarely ends well in my experience.

Well it didn't end well for the taxi driver that had a go at me..

Never seen someone jump back in their car so fast before in my life....

Boxed the head off him but only after he hit me 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What about cyclists who don't bother using the cycling lanes? There's a road near me with a cycling lane running close by. I seldom see any cyclists using it.

What about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If I'm driving I don't lecture other drivers that are idiots (unless they directly affect me)

If I'm cycling I don't lecture other cyclists that are idiots (unless they directly affect me)

If I'm walking I don't lecture other pedestrians that are idiots (unless they directly affect me) ... these tend to be the group that are most at fault btw... I blame smartphones and wireless earbuds.

Let them do whatever they want and if they get into an accident that's what the Darwin Awards are for

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    He could easily have been hit if .
    .. he got distracted by your shouting and took his eye if the road to talk to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

That may be, however:-

One of the reasons the general level of behavior on the roads is so bad is that it is so normalised that people don't feel like their bad behavior is even noticed by anybody else.

IMO while pointing out bad behavior my cause friction on a 1-1 basis, the bigger picture is that if people were called out on it more often by other ordinary people around them, they would feel more conspicuous and therefore less comfortable in doing those actions and behavior would improve generally.

Yes we are not police, but that doesn't mean we dont have any power or any right to try to influence people to behave better on the roads. Bad and dangerous behaviour on the roads is everyones business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Duckjob wrote: »
    Yes we are not police, but that doesn't mean we dont have any power or any right to try to influence people to behave better on the roads. Bad and dangerous behaviour on the roads is everyones business.

All very well in theory, but that's not what happens in practice. In nearly all cases I've witnessed, it results in one or both parties getting aggro.

The fact is that most people are dicks and when challenged about being dicks, their natural reaction is to not to reflect on their behaviour but to get defensive and double down on dickishness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure i come on boards every day of the week to have differences of opinion with people, which sometimes gets people angry, and very few people end up changing their minds. sounds like the very topic at hand. but i keep coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ANy one who comes at me the wrong way along the cycle lane/path with no lights in the dark in dark clothes always gets a bolloxing from me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The fact they were using Gels on the GDBR says a lot! (its not a race)

They should be carrying spuds anyway.
    https://twitter.com/ianwalker/status/1185212086340800513

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

godtabh wrote: »
    ANy one who comes at me the wrong way along the cycle lane/path with no lights in the dark in dark clothes always gets a bolloxing from me

I'm not looking forward to the dark evenings and cycling down the Clontarf cycle lane with handlebar mounted spotlights coming towards me..

Been a few occasions where you get in particular club cyclists side by side coming towards you on that narrow path lights blaring, they will always get both barrels from me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Duckjob wrote: »
    ......I also think it's stupid not to differentiate between somebody carelessly racing between people on a footpath at 35kph and someone creeping for a short while on the footpath at near walking speed where they can stop almost instantly.

By that logic, I should be able to drive my car on the footpath provided I do it slowly.

By that logic, I should be able to drive my car on the footpath provided I do it slowly.

People do drive on the footpath, hopefully slowly, to get to their driveways. I know people think of that bit as part of their driveway, but it's really the footpath. It's a bit different, in that they HAVE to drive on that bit of the footpath.

In the Netherlands they have pedestrian crossings raised up and coloured the same as the footpath so that it's clear that it isn't pedestrians walking on the roadway, but drivers getting a green light to drive on the footway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, you could use that logic, if you ignore multiple glaring issues with applying that logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

oLoonatic wrote: »
    I was stopped at a set of traffic lights yesterday and a cyclist blew through red light. A driver actually rolled down his window and said to me " Thats what gives you guys a bad name" which was refreshing to hear.
    I would love to have said "fcuk you ye racist (or sexist) cnut, keep your prejuiced comments to yourself" would be good to see their reaction -would be interesting as I expect even if they are a prize scumbag they would be apologetic or confused about being called racist. If they explain it was nothing to do with your race or sex you can still get them with "oh right, so you are just a prejudiced cnut then, looking for some, ANY, group you can still openly hate, your mother must be proud"

No doubt that driver would not dare breathe a word to pedestrians on the side of the road while another (usually loads) have just broken reds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

username checks out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

tomasrojo wrote: »

A well aimed spud thrown at high velocity might be useful if things escalated as well!

(Can spud guns / cannons be included in the bike to work scheme?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭dubrov

I don't understand why some cyclists feel the need to lecture others about their behaviour when it has zero impact on them.

Fair enough if someone is going down the inside of a truck that seems to be turning. A yelp is warranted there.

If cyclist breaks a red, it is frankly between them and the Gardai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

Eight pages already, can’t really believe this thread.

Surely the rules of the road apply to all road users. A red light is a red light, doesn’t matter if I’m driving my car or on my bicycle. I choose to always stop at red lights.

The issue isn’t about drivers or cyclists or pedestrians, it’s about people choosing to break the law. I don’t need to tell someone else they’re breaking the law, they know exactly what they’re doing. They couldn’t care less. Trying to explain or engage with someone like that is pointless.

The only time I’d ever say anything is when I see someone trying to go up the inside of a left turning truck or articulated truck. And even then, your likely to be told to fcuk off and mind your own business.

Puggy wrote: »
    Eight pages already, can’t really believe this thread.

Surely the rules of the road apply to all road users.

I wouldn’t agree with that. The rules were written with a 1.5+ ton vehicle in mind that’s at least 10 foot long and 6 foot wide that carries hear momentum and capable of speeds of over 100km an hour.

Cyclists really do in many occasions relate closer to pedestrians. At a T junction where there’s a solid white line and a cycle lane inside it, why shouldn’t a bike turn left.

At a pedestrian light , where there is no person crossing , and a truck and a bus stopped. Why shouldn’t a cyclist pass through slowly with no inertia ? It puts him safely ahead of the 40 ton vehicles with blind spots.

The law is often an ass , inconsistent and not fit for purpose. I generally go with the safest option.

The only thing that you can say to another bike user that can be guaranteed not to be a dissatisfying experience is "That's a nice bike".

,,, unless it's said suddenly as they're unlocking the bike in a poorly lit area at 3a.m. and they haven't noticed you standing behind them.

I thought I'd add that, just for the sake of completeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

godtabh wrote: »

They’re the only ones I say anything to and bizarrely they react as if I’m the one in the wrong. People in general just don’t react well to people pointing out that they’re doing something wrong. I imagine they’re thought process is “But I’m me! ...no I can’t be the one in the wrong.”

Hrududu wrote: »
    They’re the only ones I say anything to and bizarrely they react as if I’m the one in the wrong. People in general just don’t react well to people pointing out that they’re doing something wrong. I imagine they’re thought process is “But I’m me! ...no I can’t be the one in the wrong.”

The worst are the ones going the wrong way on a bike lane and go to pass on your left ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

ted1 wrote: »
    The worst are the ones going the wrong way on a bike lane and go to pass on your left ...

OMG this boils my blood. I just hug the kerb point out to the right into the traffic lane and let them play chicken with the traffic gobsh1tes, at least they can see it. There are several Intel bound cyclists in Leixlip who do this daily to skip lights even crossing 50m back from a junction to cycle on the wrong side when they can see cyclists approaching :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wonder is there a term like "Godwinism" to describe how quickly a thread like this inevitably degenerates into drivers versus cyclists, regardless of the topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I used to point out to some cyclists that they were invisible at night, I just got abuse. So I no longer bother.

• Advertisement

at least you couldn't see where the abuse was coming from.

Advertisement