Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Effects wrote: »
    Found this woman mildly amusing for 2 minutes. Think she's just a little touched.

Instagram crazy lady

Wow. Cars in the bus lane don't bother her it seems

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, she has an equal opportunities approach, if you check out the rest of her feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

stoneill wrote: »
    I agree with this, but would't even bother reporting it.
    I am a cyclist and a motorist and previously a delivery driver around Dublin.
    And they are all sh!t groups.
    You will never win with the militant cyclist, the militant motorist or the militant delivery driver.
    Some people are out actively looking for an excuse to give out to someone else, be it cyclist, motorist or any other form of public space user. I've come across this multiple times with cars speeding up just to blow the horn, cyclists deliberately blocking cars at junctions just to prove a point. Vans parked across cycle lanes to make it more difficult to cycle. Nothing surprised me anymore so I just assume all other road users are going to be a sh!tbag.

I agree with you on the fact that there are sh1tbags of all persuasion out there, it's the degree of danger associated with their sh1tbaggery that is the issue though. Someone being a dick in a car or van is more likely to kill me than some tosspot cyclist going through a red light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I know a guy just like that. Goes through red lights and one way streets on his bike all the time. When in the car he beeps and does punishment passes to any cyclist that holds him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I called a lad out for cycling up the inside of a bus pulling into a stop in Rathmines one day. He was behind me by at least five seconds and I had pulled out to overtake the bus as it had indicated in loads of time and was already pulling into the kerb. This dope shoots up the inside and starts walloping the bus and has it out with the driver. I call him on being a clown and he’s only going to get himself killed and head on my way. He catches up with me at the next lights where we have another “discussion”. He then gives me the classic “sure you don’t even have a helmet on” I said “a helmet is not gonna save you if you keep cycling up the inside of busses”. And on my way.
    I don’t bother anymore.

But I will say I agree about cyclists going through pedestrian crossings angers me the most. The crossing at baggot street bridge is a disgrace. Cyclists plowing through on the pedestrian green. I know it’s partly because the cycling green light is disgracefully short but it’s really bad form. Boils my piss every day.

I’m no saint either by the way.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

to be fair, she has an equal opportunities approach, if you check out the rest of her feed.

Yeah I did. I'll reserve my opinion as it wouldn't be fair

A few years ago I had a guy who at the 5 lamps would hop a kerb and go around everyone. It wouldn't matter if there were 2 people or 22 people. As far as he was concerned he was going to be at the front. He would then plod rather slowly away from the lights and not much faster after. There's only a small window of opportunity to overtake here too.

If he were legitimately there first, fine, I and others should be perfectly happy to patiently wait behind. But he never was. He always skipped ahead, and then always slowed everyone down.

One day, I was at the front and I said it to him 1 about hopping the kerb was there were nearly always people walking there and crossing the road, and 2 just wait his turn. He flew into such a funny type of rage. I'd never seen him go so fast, but he also nearly put himself under the wheels of a car as and it would have been entirely his own fault.

I never saw him again after that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was passing a couple of cyclists on the GDBR when one of them threw a gel wrapper on the road. I called him out on it in a friendly way as if he accidentally dropped it. He didn't respond but his buddy cycled up along side me and started to 'square up' to me asking what did I say, is it any of my business, what was I going to do about it? etc.

How fcuking hard is it to carry a gel wrapper? Stick it inside the leg of you shorts if it's going to get in the way in your rear pockets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    If you see something illegal and dangerous, report it to the authorities.

Very little point in trying to report anything when there is no way to identify the cyclist because they have no identifying marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was passing a couple of cyclists on the GDBR when one of them threw a gel wrapper on the road. I called him out on it in a friendly way as if he accidentally dropped it. He didn't respond but his buddy cycled up along side me and started to 'square up' to me asking what did I say, is it any of my business, what was I going to do about it? etc.

How fcuking hard is it to carry a gel wrapper? Stick it inside the leg of you shorts if it's going to get in the way in your rear pockets.

The fact they were using Gels on the GDBR says a lot! (its not a race)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Moflojo wrote: »
    Anti-cyclist prejudice is borne out of driver frustration with being trapped in a totally dysfunctional transport system. Drivers have been sold the dream of freedom and speed, but find themselves stuck in their (toxic) boxes going nowhere - and paying a premium for the privilege.

Cyclists are an easy, soft target to vent their frustration at: Look at all these people who pay very little to cycle, but who manage to skip all the traffic queues - they must be cheating somehow, right?

what are you on about? Absolute drivel. I cycle to work Monday to Thursday and drive Fridays. I dont get frustrated at cyclists because im in traffic, I get frustrated when im driving through a junction and have to slam on the brakes because a cyclist decided it was "safe" for them to break the lights.

I personally have pointed out to cyclists while cycling myself that their behaviour is putting themselves and potentially others at risk. In particular are those who cycle through pedestrian lights....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I haven't. But I can't see the sense in using a busy dual carriageway when there's a purpose built cycling lane running parallel to it.

Just to give you the benefit of the doubt, most of the "purpose built cycling lanes" within 30km radius of me are unusable. I'd struggle to think of a single usable one.
    They variously:
    Cede right of way every few hundred metres
    Require curb mount/dismount
    End abruptly
    Don't go where I would need to go
    Have tactile pavement "blind bumps"
    Have broken/unrideable surface
    Are strewn with debris or vegetation and never cleaned
    Are parked on
    Are on the opposite side of the road
    Have poles and other obstacles in the middle of them
    Have "cyclist dismount" signs at regular intervals
    Have so many ramps (at every private entrance) that it's like a pump track

OR are too narrow and:
    Are heavily used by walkers/joggers/runners/prams/buggies/dog-walkers so I avoid conflict with them.

Again, to give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the one near you is actually one of the good ones. I suggest you give it a shot, and if it still seems like one of the good ones maybe let us know where it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Just to give you the benefit of the doubt, most of the "purpose built cycling lanes" within 30km radius of me are unusable. I'd struggle to think of a single usable one.
    They variously:
    Cede right of way every few hundred metres
    Require curb mount/dismount
    End abruptly
    Don't go where I would need to go
    Have tactile pavement "blind bumps"
    Have broken/unrideable surface
    Are strewn with debris or vegetation and never cleaned
    Are parked on
    Are on the opposite side of the road
    Have poles and other obstacles in the middle of them

OR are too narrow and:
    Are heavily used by walkers/joggers/runners/prams/buggies/dog-walkers so I avoid conflict with them.

Again, to give you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the one near you is actually one of the good ones. I suggest you give it a shot, and if it still seems like one of the good ones maybe let us know where it is!

Some have slippery when wet manhole covers on them too, usually where there's bend in the track, just to keep you on your toes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Found this woman mildly amusing for 2 minutes. Think she's just a little touched.

Instagram crazy lady
    Reminds me of Gemma O'D?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Some have slippery when wet manhole covers on them too, usually where there's bend in the track, just to keep you on your toes.

Here's 25 reasons why Cyclists dont use cycle lanes. For me, the No.1 reason not to use them is the Yield at each and every junction!

https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes/

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Weepsie wrote: »
    Wow. Cars in the bus lane don't bother her it seems
    Have thought of reporting her to Gardai as she's been videoing my kids inadvertently while making her amateur Panorama documentaries. She's also had a go at me a few times. She has no concept of how traffic or ROTR work. Thinks cyclists are legally obliged to be in the left gutter and stay there for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Have thought of reporting her to Gardai as she's been videoing my kids inadvertently while making her amateur Panorama documentaries.

There's no law against that though.

She seems totally touched and has no grey area. It's just all cyclists are bad, no matter what. One of her most recent videos is of a guy who used the path for five metres or so, as he was getting around a vehicle blocking the road.

I only found her when a friend posted a video of someone she knows, who was filmed by this woman, while pushing her bike along the footpath on a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Saw one on the way home from work yesterday alright. Cyclist out in full kit, I was waiting for a red light and he just breezed past. Without slowing down, does a quick shake of the head to check oncoming traffic in either direction and heads on through. Next junction 50 yards ahead, same thing only this time he turns right.

Its infuriating and gives so many law abiding cyclists a bad name. You'd look at the dress of him and think he should know better

Rikand wrote: »
    Its infuriating and gives so many law abiding cyclists a bad name. You'd look at the dress of him and think he should know better

Again it doesn't. It gives him a bad name. It's a mindset that also needs to change. One person doing stupid things does not mean all do.

Drivers don't get tarred with it as much, despite at least 10% of them having penalty points at any given time

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Rikand wrote: »
    Saw one on the way home from work yesterday alright. Cyclist out in full kit, I was waiting for a red light and he just breezed past. Without slowing down, does a quick shake of the head to check oncoming traffic in either direction and heads on through. Next junction 50 yards ahead, same thing only this time he turns right.

I'd guess he simply didn't want to bother unclipping....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

oLoonatic wrote: »
    Refreshing from the point of view, that the particular motorist doesn't tar everyone with the same brush and can recognize that its not all cyclists.

Reminds me of the time one of the women in the office did something stupid and I turned around to one of my co-workers and told her women like that gave all the women in the office a bad name. Would you believe she told me where to go **** myself? I would have thought that with all the usual sexist comments, she would have thought it was refreshing that I wasn't tarring all women with the same brush. I guess like cyclists, some people just need to know their place.

(May not have happened, but I imagine if it did, the go **** myself reaction would be the most likely scenario).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Again it doesn't. It gives him a bad name. It's a mindset that also needs to change.
    while my reaction (and one i'll wholeheartedly justify) is one of 'piss off, the behaviour of another cyclist has nothing to do with me'; the behaviour of another cyclist *will* tarnish me in the minds of many people out there. granted, they're probably mouthbreathers who think that reading the daily mail makes them someone who supports journalism, but the attitude is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

while my reaction (and one i'll wholeheartedly justify) is one of 'piss off, the behaviour of another cyclist has nothing to do with me'; the behaviour of another cyclist *will* tarnish me in the minds of many people out there. granted, they're probably mouthbreathers who think that reading the daily mail makes them someone who supports journalism, but the attitude is there.

Take a look at the internalised oppression social justice concept. It's extremely relevant to this entire thread, and the mindset underlying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

There's no law against that though.
    There's no law against that, but it's enough for me to want her stopped. She's breaching GDPR with gay abandon, but that's civil law as far as I know. She's harassing people, but not necessarily any individual.

Instagram crazy lady

That video perfectly sums up what's wrong with attitudes in this country.
    Inadequate road infrastructure for buses and cyclists. What's there is made unusable/dangerous by the overabundance of private cars blocking up the bus lanes because they've run out of space in their own lanes. And yet it's a couple of cyclists committing a trivial infraction while trying to make their way through the dangerous mess that are the great scourge.

Stark wrote: »
    That video perfectly sums up what's wrong with attitudes in this country.
    Inadequate road infrastructure for buses and cyclists. What's there is made unusable/dangerous by the overabundance of private cars blocking up the bus lanes because they've run out of space in their own lanes. And yet it's a couple of cyclists committing a trivial infraction while trying to make their way through the dangerous mess that are the great scourge.

You applied cold hard logic and analysis to the situation. Never do that :D

I noticed in that video not a word from that good lady about the several cars that sit blocking up the yellow box and snarling up the whole junction, nor the other cards merrily toddling up the bus lane.

"They shouldn't be allowed do that. It's illegal". What does she think the word "illegal" means exactly??

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Instagram crazy lady

What a sad woman. Even her other instagrams of parked cars and the likes. Am I right in saying its not illegal to cycle on the path?

It is illegal except for cases where it's a designed shared path. But I think the point here is that the most minor infraction of the law you could think of is being used as another stick to beat cyclists with. No mention of course of why the cyclist in question was diverted off the road onto the path.

I remember doing a course on bullying in the workplace before and one of the topics that came up was the tactic of overly stringent enforcement of rules and policies for the purposes of bullying. As in the bully may technically be in the right in that the person being bullied did something that was against the written rules but it's the practice of unfairly taking one person and picking them apart for every single infraction, regardless of circumstances or severity that makes it bullying. Similar thing going on here.

• Advertisement

Agree. I don't agree in general with cycling on footpaths, but I wouldn't condemn it in circumstances where it's born out of a genuine safety concern, and there's plenty of reasons and situations in Dublin for cyclists to have concern for their safety. I don't think people like this lady appreciate just how hostile being on a bike in a car-choked Irish city can be.

I also think it's stupid not to differentiate between somebody carelessly racing between people on a footpath at 35kph and someone creeping for a short while on the footpath at near walking speed where they can stop almost instantly.

Advertisement