Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

reg114 wrote: »
    This the same deliveroo crowd who cellotape those huge battery packs to their downtubes ? Ive seen some of them using Dublin bikes to do deliveries #madness
    Forgot the magical 2 stroke engines that require no pedalling...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Forgot the magical 2 stroke engines that require no pedalling...

Those can be really fast. I knew of someone around Mulranny who'd go about on one of those, who told someone who suggested he needed a insurance or Hi-Viz to f.o. I'd agree on the Hi-Viz, but he appeared to me to be keeping pace with some very fast moving cars, so maybe was meant to have something. Dunno.

My only real other cyclist annoyance are some who go wholly against any expected traffic direction. I used not to look out for head on collisions with cyclists, but do now, and should have anyhow. Also when stopping at lights, probably leave space for those who won't, for the sake of my back / bike.

I wonder too if traffic Gardaí are outsourced to Diliveroo or other randoms using blue flashing lights on their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Those can be really fast. I knew of someone around Mulranny who'd go about on one of those, who told someone who suggested he needed a insurance or Hi-Viz to f.o. I'd agree on the Hi-Viz, but he appeared to me to be keeping pace with some very fast moving cars, so maybe was meant to have something. Dunno.

My only real other cyclist annoyance are some who go wholly against any expected traffic direction. I used not to look out for head on collisions with cyclists, but do now, and should have anyhow. Also when stopping at lights, probably leave space for those who won't, for the sake of my back / bike.

I wonder too if traffic Gardaí are outsourced to Diliveroo or other randoms using blue flashing lights on their bikes.

They're illegal.....

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

They're illegal.....

Are blue flashing lights on bicycles illegal? Could you share a link please

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

During these hours all cyclists are required to have fitted (and make use of) the following:

One front light, showing to the front a white or yellow light visible for a reasonable distance
    One rear light, fitted to the rear of your bicycle showing a red light that is visible for a reasonable distance
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/cycling/lighting_of_bicycles_in_ireland.html

also, the link below explains who is allowed use blue lights and in what circumstances.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Vehicle_Parts/FAQs%20on%20Emergency%20Flashing%20Lights%20on%20Vehicles.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wonder too if traffic Gardare outsourced to Diliveroo or other randoms using blue flashing lights on their bikes.

Seen an adult with those blue lights built into their runners, the type kids have that flash as they run around. They were on constant and were pretty effective at getting attention on the bike IMO Not legal but effective

Of course they are as you are only allowed to have white at front and red at rear including having same as reflectors front and rear.

Emergency services are the only ones permitted to use blue flashing lights...

Also on the engine strapped to the bike that's the same, not road legal at all.

Most are 80cc also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I feel sorry for some of the Deliveroo cyclists.

They look flat broke, crappy rain gear, crappy cycling gear & bikes falling apart, they seem to be really on the breadline. A real last resort job for people that probably aren't eligible for the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

Saw one yesterday on the rear of a bike that was flashing red and blue alternating. Was wondering the same thing.

plodder wrote: »
    Saw one yesterday on the rear of a bike that was flashing red and blue alternating. Was wondering the same thing.

Buying them off eBay etc and putting them on....

Only absolute fools fit these same as the ones with white flashing on the rear.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I seen one the other day as well, it was a good light but wait until the wrong Garda decides he is in a pissy mood and lift them out of it for doing it.

Buying them off eBay etc and putting them on....

Only absolute fools fit these same as the ones with white flashing on the rear.

Sorry, I'm looking for clarification as to where they are specified as illegal on bicycles

Me too...definitely would put a stop to close passes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry, I'm looking for clarification as to where they are specified as illegal on bicycles
    The statute instruments don't really work like that. They say where is is permitted only. As a bicycle isn't mentioned then it is illegal to use on one where visible in a public place.

1. (1) These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles (Blue and Amber Lamps) Regulations 2006.

(2) The Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 to 1996 and these Regulations may be cited together as the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 to 2006.

2. In these Regulations “Regulations of 1963” means Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963 ( S.I. No. 189 of 1963 ).

3. Article 49 of the Regulations of 1963 is amended by inserting after sub-article (8) the following:

“(9) Where a vehicle equipped with a lamp in accordance with article 52(18) is used in a public place, the lamp may only be used -

(a) if necessary in the circumstances, and

(b) in the case of a vehicle being used by the Irish Prison Service, where the vehicle is clearly identifiable as such by having appropriate livery and is usable for the purpose of transporting prisoners under guard.”.

4. Article 52 of the Regulations of 1963 is amended by substituting for sub-article (18 (inserted by the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Amendment) Regulations 1996 ( S.I. No. 137 of 1996 )) the following:

“(18) (a) The requirements of article 40 (in so far as it refers to articles 41, 42 48 and 49) and articles 41, 42, 48 and 49 (except sub-article 9) do not apply to a lamp complying with paragraph (b) which is carried on a vehicle being used -

(i) by a member of the Garda Sh in the performance of his or her duties as such member,

(ii) as a fire brigade vehicle,

(iii) by persons providing an ambulance service,

(iv) by the Irish Prison Service,

(v) as an Irish Marine Emergency Service vehicle, with or without a trailer,

(vi) for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs human blood or human blood products,

(vii) as a breakdown vehicle,

(viii) as a road clearance vehicle,

(ix) as a road works vehicle,

(x) by a local authority (within the meaning of the Local Government Act 2001 (No. 37 of 2001)) or other person authorised by a local authority in the collection and disposal of refuse,

(xi) in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or of gas or electricity supply, or

(xii) as a Customs and Excise patrol vehicle.

(b) In relation to a lamp carried on a vehicle referred to in paragraph (a) -

(i) the light shown by the lamp shall in the case of a vehicle referred to in -

(I) paragraph (a) (i) to (vi), be blue, and

(II) paragraph (a) (vii) to (xii), be amber,

(ii) the power of the lamp where the colour of the light is -

(I) blue, shall not exceed 50 watts, and

(II) amber, shall not exceed 36 watts,

(iii) the lamp shall, where possible, be fitted on the roof of the vehicle on a point on its longitudinal axis,

(iv) no part of the illuminated surface of the lamp shall be less than 1.27 metres from the ground,

(v) the area of the orthogonal projection on to any vertical plane of that part of the lamp through which light is shown shall be capable of lying wholly within a square having sides of 230 millimetres in length,

(vi) the lamp, in the case of a road works vehicle, or a vehicle used in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or gas or electricity supply shall be lit only when the vehicle is in use at the scene of operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I feel sorry for some of the Deliveroo cyclists.

They look flat broke, crappy rain gear, crappy cycling gear & bikes falling apart, they seem to be really on the breadline. A real last resort job for people that probably aren't eligible for the dole.
    They seem to mostly student types to me rather than people not eligible for dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

This lad all in hi-viz gear went through all the red lights through Rathmines but I came up behind him twice midway up the street and again closer to Portobello bridge. plenty traffic in the bus and outer lane and he briefly looked right, saw me but attempted to move right anyway. I was to the right of his back wheel moving quicker so couldn't stop safely to allow him move right and in between the two forward sets of traffic

- shouts of "you've been doing that to me all the way up this road! what gives you the right to think you can do that to me, you think you're better than me, it's cyclists like you that are hated" - that did engage me so i called him out on his breaking of lights, his hypocrisy and his general riding. made me pissed off as I'd come upon a very nasty crash on the route in with someone on the ground. poor morning commute. poor manners. some sense of entitlement.

Advertisement