Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling out fellow cyclists for illegal or dangerous behavior

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

RobbieMD wrote: »

As it stands any Garda member who rams a scrambler can expect to be prosecuted for dangerous driving causing serious bodily harm. The blue lights and sirens offer zero protection. I genuinely don’t know why any Garda uses lights and sirens in any circumstance, except when stationary at a traffic collision maybe.

What a lot of people don’t appreciate is all our emergency services drive emergency services vehicles on their own private licence. The recent Garda prosecuted in Clondalkin for dangerous driving causing death should’ve been the wake up call for all Gardai to stop driving on response.
    They have the legal protection of the exemption from the Road Traffic Acts 'where necessary for the performance of duties', right?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

They have the legal protection of the exemption from the Road Traffic Acts 'where necessary for the performance of duties', right?

That section of the road traffic act that exempts in the course of their duties also contains caveats. They can still be prosecuted for sections 51(a) 52 and 53. They’re the offences of driving without reasonable consideration, careless driving and dangerous driving. And of course for drunken driving and drunk in charge.
    That garda convicted earlier this year was trained to drive with lights and sirens. He was still prosecuted and convicted of dangerous driving causing death. He was going at 56kmph to a confirmed robbery of a service station if my memory is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Passed a woman (while cycling) cycling with no lights and not even one of those yellow jackets a few minutes ago. Must admit was tempted to shout "get some lights" at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Passed a woman (while cycling) cycling with no lights and not even one of those yellow jackets a few minutes ago. Must admit was tempted to shout "get some lights" at her.

I nearly hit someone at the junction of south circular road and dolphins barn a while back. I was heading was east on SCR turning left onto Dolphins barn which is a yield. Anyway i stopped as there was a few cars coming from the opposite way on SCR who had right of way.
    As i pulled out i came within a few inches of knocking a guy down. He had no lights, just a hi-vis, which of course only works when light shines on it directly, and where he had been was the darkest part in between street lights, he'd also broken the red light so i hadn't expected him to be there either. Anyway i braked hard and he stopped and when i pointed out that he was invisible from the side he told me to f**k off.

So to anyone here who thinks they don't need lights, and that hi-vis alone is sufficient please think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Are you often tempted to shout at drivers who have their phones in their hand while driving?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect most people are at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Time wrote: »
    I nearly hit someone at the junction of south circular road and dolphins barn a while back. I was heading was east on SCR turning left onto Dolphins barn which is a yield. Anyway i stopped as there was a few cars coming from the opposite way on SCR who had right of way.
    As i pulled out i came within a few inches of knocking a guy down. He had no lights, just a hi-vis, which of course only works when light shines on it directly, and where he had been was the darkest part in between street lights, he'd also broken the red light so i hadn't expected him to be there either. Anyway i braked hard and he stopped and when i pointed out that he was invisible from the side he told me to f**k off.

So to anyone here who thinks they don't need lights, and that hi-vis alone is sufficient please think again.

Same with people in cars waiting to enter a roundabout. They often end up orientated somewhat to the left, with the headlights pointing further left, and someone approaching in the dark from the right on the roundabout with just a hiviz jacket is as visiible as anyone else in the dark is..

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Just had a great one on the way on this morning on the canal at the ranelagh bridge heading for leeson street bridge. Guy pulls in in front of me sideways into the bike lane for people coming from ranelagh over the bridge. This reallys bugs me as they have to swerve out to avoid him. I tap him on the arm and say you are in the bike lane. I realize then that he is fried. He's like "wha?" I say it again and he pulls back a little bit. Then he says something to me. Totally incoherent. He repeats it two or three times until i realize he is saying "Are you the weirdo Nazi?" Lights go green and I am outta there.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

*are* you the weirdo nazi, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

had a running in with a motorbike today while driving. was turning left after the luas crossing in Sandyford today coming from Stillorgan and a motorbike came speeding up the cycle lane and undertook me just as I was starting to turn left. Not the first time Iv seen motorbikes in cycle lanes. had it happen last week where I was cycling in the cycle lane and came to a light where I was behind two other cyclists and a motorbike came up behind me and then beeped at me to move out of the way. Both of these incidents were bike couriers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

marcos_94 wrote: »
    had a running in with a motorbike today while driving. was turning left after the luas crossing in Sandyford today coming from Stillorgan and a motorbike came speeding up the cycle lane and undertook me just as I was starting to turn left. Not the first time Iv seen motorbikes in cycle lanes. had it happen last week where I was cycling in the cycle lane and came to a light where I was behind two other cyclists and a motorbike came up behind me and then beeped at me to move out of the way. Both of these incidents were bike couriers

Some motorcyclists travel at really dangerous speeds in bike and bus lanes.

The only thing about them is that you can usually hear them from a good distance away with their ridiculously loud exhausts.

Fcuking simpletons.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭tommythecat

*are* you the weirdo nazi, though?

Funnily enough after I eventually understood him he said “just say yes” !!

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Funnily enough after I eventually understood him he said “just say yes” !!

So some sort of cyclist with Hugo Boss gear?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

a148pro wrote: »
    Worst behaviour on dublin roads I see by an identifiable road group, by far, is by cyclists. Granted, they rarely endanger anyone apart from themselves but it just leads to lack of respect for us as a group.

its easy to identify the worst group on the road

they have TAXI written on them

dead easy

as far as cyclists being the worst

not really, its a dead heat

you get an equal number of braindead pedestrians and motorists

perhaps they all come from the same selection of individuals in the end

as far as calling someone out

well it's dick move really, unless what they did affected you directly

then go right ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Are you often tempted to shout at drivers who have their phones in their hand while driving?

Yes but frankly my two closest lucky escapes in recent times, neither driver was on the phone. One was almost certainly on drugs of some type, the other was just a dozy b******. I did actually remonstrate with the latter. He apologised so I left it. What more was I supposed to do, box him in the face? Hopefully he learned to be more attentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

https://twitter.com/NorahCasey/status/1186910960373653504

I had no idea Angela Fahy was so notorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Effects wrote: »
    Found this woman mildly amusing for 2 minutes. Think she's just a little touched.

Instagram crazy lady

My eldest pointed this out to me the other day, assuming it is the same one since I don't have an instagram account. Ranelagh?

Apparently it has gone viral and unfortunately there are alot of kids baiting/trolling/taking the mick out of her.

Yes, the invasion of privacy was unforgivable so you could say "live by the sword, die by the sword" but that doesn't take into account mental capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would be nice to follow her around with a camera for the day. Let's see how well she does in not breaking a single law. Funnily enough, I think in the one where she films a cyclist turning right without having one arm outstretched, the cyclist isn't actually doing anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

https://twitter.com/NorahCasey/status/1186910960373653504

I had no idea Angela Fahy was so notorious.
    Fian wrote: »
    My eldest pointed this out to me the other day, assuming it is the same one since I don't have an instagram account. Ranelagh?

Apparently it has gone viral and unfortunately there are alot of kids baiting/trolling/taking the mick out of her.

Yeah, she's amassed 20,000 followers in about a week. She's been on the radio a few times I think.
    She seems like she has some kind of personality issue but it's borderline, so people think it's ok to have a go at her.
    Most people are joking in good spirits, but some take it a bit too far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

site_owner wrote: »
    Saw this tweet earlier...
    Even if something happened off camera, seems inexplicable

https://twitter.com/TaxiDave198/status/1186962757163388933?s=19

pulls out in front of "taxi dave" pulls on brakes, starts wandering all over the place. My guess would be he is mimicking what he did to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

rubadub wrote: »
    pulls out in front of "taxi dave" pulls on brakes, starts wandering all over the place. My guess would be he is mimicking what he did to him.

Check out this earlier tweet from taxi Dave....

https://mobile.twitter.com/TaxiDave198/status/1127561393765588992

Yeah I'd like to see the previous to that video, guy on the bike is so wrongs reacting like that but me thinks taxi Dave has been selective in what was shown there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yeah, she's amassed 20,000 followers in about a week. She's been on the radio a few times I think.
    She seems like she has some kind of personality issue but it's borderline, so people think it's ok to have a go at her.

https://twitter.com/Barrywfinnegan/status/1186973101185294341

This is the correct form for anyone who is featured on Angela's page without consent. This is GDPR at work, thank the EU for your right to privacy.
    https://help.instagram.com/contact/504521742987441?helpref=page_content
    Instagram will look for proof of identity to confirm you are the person featured.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Do you have a right to privacy when you are in a public space though?

Do you have a right to privacy when you are in a public space though?
    GDPR is very clear on what is private information and how it must be handled.

Taking a photograph of someone in a public place isn't illegal in itself. If the photograph is publicly posted for the purposes of harassing the person in the photograph, then it is. Which is the case here.

Stark wrote: »
    Taking a photograph of someone in a public place isn't illegal in itself. If the photograph is publicly posted for the purposes of harassing the person in the photograph, then it is. Which is the case here.
    Even if you don't publish it, by storing it you become a data controller (possibly not the GDPR terminology) surely?

• Advertisement

There's "Household exemption" and exemptions for the purposes of "artistic expression".

For example privacy invaders street artists can take creepy invasive candid photographs of people on the street without permission and it's legal as long as the photographs go unpublished.

Advertisement