Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

remoteboy wrote: »
    Mother-in-law has dreadful internet ads connection. She’s on a crappy old line and rarely gets above 1.5Mb/s. Thinking about getting her a 4g router - she’s 800m from a meteor mast. The only issue would be losing her landline. I see GoMo charge 30c per minute for VOIP calls. Can I just use a different provider like Goldfish or will GoMo still charge on top of that?
    I have two Gomo sims, one in my mobile , one in a 4 g router, have a voip phone connected to router which receives landline calls through goldfish, I make landline calls from the mobile to reduce the cost, so I'm only paying for the goldfish monthly rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Mother-in-law has dreadful internet ads connection. She’s on a crappy old line and rarely gets above 1.5Mb/s. Thinking about getting her a 4g router - she’s 800m from a meteor mast. The only issue would be losing her landline. I see GoMo charge 30c per minute for VOIP calls. Can I just use a different provider like Goldfish or will GoMo still charge on top of that?

If you ported a landline to a VOIP provider then the same number is retained and anyone calling that landline number would be charged the landline rate even though it's via VOIP.

If you're wondering whether Gomo charge extra for calls made / received via a gomo data connection on a third party VOIP service (goldfish etc), the answer is no, it'll just use the inclusive data.

There are a few routers that allow calls to be made via the SIM phone number...
    https://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112189207

A bit of research will yield more details, it's theoretically possible and would be a bit handier than trying to set up VOIP which is dependent on reliable 4G signal and needs to be always on for incoming calls.

Landline can still be ported to VOIP provider to keep it active if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

remoteboy wrote: »

As Ten Pin has said, VOIP data is afterall just data as far as GoMo is concerned. One thing to be careful with is to make sure you port the landline number to the voip provider prior to terminating the landline service.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

kn wrote: »
    Same again for me this month. The same type of usable quality. Just no HD streaming. It was the likes of the RTE player that was really eating my 80GB. But it still plays at a lower quality at the 1Mbs download and streams fine on youtube at the 480 setting. Grand for normal use just not for HD streaming.

Thanks for confirming, you didn't do a Speedtest by any chance and can share the screenshot just to see what the actual speed is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

august12 wrote: »
    I have two Gomo sims, one in my mobile , one in a 4 g router, have a voip phone connected to router which receives landline calls through goldfish, I make landline calls from the mobile to reduce the cost, so I'm only paying for the goldfish monthly rental.

I am trying to setup a 4G router with a GOMO sim. Can you tell me please what data settings you used?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Pataman wrote: »
    I am trying to setup a 4G router with a GOMO sim. Can you tell me please what data settings you used?
    Thanks
    It should automatically set up but you need to unlock the sim pin first, so put it in a mobile and turn off sim pin, then place in the router and it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Pataman wrote: »
    Thanks

This is what my router has, think it picked it up automatically.

515196.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Turn off the SIM pin before you go messing with any router settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Did anyone successfully port off gomo to Vodafone prepay? Vodafone say they can't only onto a bill pay plan which I don't want. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Did anyone successfully port off gomo to Vodafone prepay? Vodafone say they can't only onto a bill pay plan which I don't want. Thanks

Should be able to do it online by selecting the "Switch to Vodafone" option on the PAYG plan you want. All the networks are available to port from (even Lyca, which they were iffy about accepting before...although maybe that Lyca restriction only applied to special offers on handsets).

Gomo isn't listed but Eir/Meteor is so that should work...maybe someone can confirm success or otherwise with Eir/Meteor option.

IMO they're spoofing about the bill pay requirement to port from Gomo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Should be able to do it online by selecting the "Switch to Vodafone" option on the PAYG plan you want. All the networks are available to port from (even Lyca, which they were iffy about accepting before...although maybe that Lyca restriction only applied to special offers on handsets).

Gomo isn't listed but Eir/Meteor is so that should work...maybe someone can confirm success or otherwise with Eir/Meteor option.

IMO they're spoofing about the bill pay requirement to port from Gomo.

I did it online, got the Vodafone sim, rang Vodafone and they said as I'm bill pay on gomo I can only port to Vodafone bill pay which sounds like nonsense to me. I'm on to gomo now but not got clarification from them either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭DopeTech

lassykk wrote: »
    I did it online, got the Vodafone sim, rang Vodafone and they said as I'm bill pay on gomo I can only port to Vodafone bill pay which sounds like nonsense to me. I'm on to gomo now but not got clarification from them either!

Gomo won't be able to help you. Just speak to somebody else in Vodafone who knows what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

Hi, basic question but I'm thinking of moving my teenagers off Tesco mobile onto Gomo to save money. Two will keep using the phones they have and one needs a new phone. They are out of their tesco contracts.

So, will Gomo provide the same reliable phone service we've had with Tesco? Can we move their numbers easily? Are there any catches I should know about before moving? Tx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Make sure the phones are unblocked first or you could have a nasty surprise. The reliability of the network depends on coverage, i.e. on where you are. I've found them excellent so far (incl.their customer service), but reports vary a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Hi, basic question but I'm thinking of moving my teenagers off Tesco mobile onto Gomo to save money. Two will keep using the phones they have and one needs a new phone. They are out of their tesco contracts.

So, will Gomo provide the same reliable phone service we've had with Tesco? Can we move their numbers easily? Are there any catches I should know about before moving? Tx

I've had no problems anyway. There are no catches. €9.99 direct debit every month in my case - no hidden charges. I have a Dual SIM phone just in case with a Tesco Mobile SIM that I can use with the Tesco clubcard boost €15 credit for a €5 voucher. I've only had to use it when I went over the 80GB data limit in recent months. There is still a data service if you go over the 80GB but it is throttled back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

kn wrote: »
    I've had no problems anyway. There are no catches. €9.99 direct debit every month in my case - no hidden charges. I have a Dual SIM phone just in case with a Tesco Mobile SIM that I can use with the Tesco clubcard boost €15 credit for a €5 voucher. I've only had to use it when I went over the 80GB data limit in recent months. There is still a data service if you go over the 80GB but it is throttled back.

I was in exactly that dual SIM situation for ~6 months as had credit built up on my TM account via clubcard vouchers. Finally cut the cord & moved my number at the end of May so just the GoMo SIM in use now. Haven't seen any problems at all so far, fingers crossed it stays that way.

TM customer support were pretty good, haven't had any dealings with GoMo so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Moved two numbers from Tesco, went like clockwork.
    Found service excellent but it totally depends on where you are.
    Tesco use Three. GoMo are on the Eir network so might want to check Eir coverage in your area.

One thing to watch is default is premium txts and international calling allowed.
    With two teenagers might want to change these settings to not allowed via chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi I moved myself and two teens to gomo when it first started , I haven’t heard one complain from them yet and all my bills so far have been 9.99 a month each , as others have said it does depend on where you live but so far I’m very happy and saving a small fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭jgbyr

We've three sims with GoMo & no issues. Luckily we have good coverage. I've found the quickest way to get a response is on twitter. They replied very quickly when we requested blocking premium texts.

I've had no major issue either after two numbers ported. Not having an actual phone in customer service can be annoying if you have an obscure issue. As previously said, block premium calls and sms via chat. Also keep track if the card you use for payments changes/expires as there is a €5 charge if the debit is refused.

There really is no catch with it. If it doesn't suit you due to coverage you can move away to another provider at any time without hassle also.

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Woolygloves

Thanks, that sounds great. We are in Dublin, hopefully coverage ok here?

Is there a way to prevent premium texts being used at all or do you just have to look out for them and stop them afterwards?

How do I make sure the old phones are unlocked?

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can also charge the bill to a credit card, by the way. Oh, and while SMS are free, MMS are either 15c or 30c each, I can't remember which, so be careful.

Thanks, that sounds great. We are in Dublin, hopefully coverage ok here?

Is there a way to prevent premium texts being used at all or do you just have to look out for them and stop them afterwards?

How do I make sure the old phones are unlocked?

Thanks

1. Depends on the area, check the Eir coverage map (and if you've thick walls, there isn't much GoMo can do).

2. Contact GoMo (even via chat) and ask them to block them for you.

3. You either ring your current provider and ask them to check for you (you'll probably need your IMEI number; if they're locked, you'll probably be charged to get it unlocked), or you insert a SIM from another network into your old phone and see if it works. If Lycamobile are still giving away free SIMs, you could try with one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Hi folks. Advise please. I put the gomo sim into my unlocked phone. Everything is working but my old number did not port over. The new gomo sim number is working instead. How can I sort this out. Many thanks.

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Hi folks. Advise please. I put the gomo sim into my unlocked phone. Everything is working but my old number did not port over. The new gomo sim number is working instead. How can I sort this out. Many thanks.

Did you request to port over when you ordered the new sim? If so when did you schedule if for?

May be just a matter or rescheduling porting now that you have a sim with a temporary number assigned.

Jim

Thanks Jim. Think I did schedule a port over date but cant be sure. How can I set up a new port over?

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Thanks Jim. Think I did schedule a port over date but cant be sure. How can I set up a new port over?

Just log in to your GoMo account and under Account Details you'll see a move your number option. https://gomo.ie/wp-content/uploads/moving_your_number_to_gomo.pdf is a useful guide.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I ported over today and it takes 24 hours so will wait and see. ONE MORE Question. We have 3 Gomo sims in the house. 2 work fine but One phone continually dropping coverage and SEARCHING.. Its an iPhone and one of the other phones is an iPhone and it works fine. Any ideas.

Switch the sims between the two iphones, that way you'll find out if it's due to the sims or the phones.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever go from GoMo to another network before? The Mrs switched from Vodafone to gomo at the time of launch, got her new sim and all grand. She’s sick of signal issues so has switched back to Vodafone (sim only 25-35 a month). She got a text to say it would disconnect for a time for the switchover but after hours of no signal at all there’s not a sign of any Vodafone life coming in it. It’s still the gomo SIM card but it was never implied she’d have to wait for a new Vodafone one to be sent out.

Advertisement