Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

It just brings me to my own voicemail, as in "...leave a message after the tone"?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

And nothing happens when you press the # key (before the tone, that is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

I get a message saying "Sorry, please dial 171 from your Meteor phone to set-up your mailbox".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Hmmm. Get in touch with them via chat, they may need to change some settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I get a message saying "Sorry, please dial 171 from your Meteor phone to set-up your mailbox".

I think you normally have to do the initial setup of your mailbox when connected directly to your home network for security reasons. Calling Line Identities can be faked internationally, and operators probably can't take the risk that you are calling from your own phone when you are roaming.

• Advertisement

I think you normally have to do the initial setup of your mailbox when connected directly to your home network for security reasons. Calling Line Identities can be faked internationally, and operators probably can't take the risk that you are calling from your own phone when you are roaming.

Ah, of course! I forgot the bit where the op said s/he was abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Hi folks. Going to switch to Gomo. Where the best place to buy an unlocked phone? Do tesco or carphone warehouse sell them?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Hi folks. Going to switch to Gomo. Where the best place to buy an unlocked phone? Do tesco or carphone warehouse sell them?

Tesco phones would probably be locked to Tesco. Carphone Warehouse sell unlocked phones. You could also try Amazon or websites of the manufacturers themselves for unlocked phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Argos or Amazon are the main SIM free phone vendors in normal times.

Tesco sell phones but they're probably network locked so you'd need to choose a phone that could be unlocked for small money.

Is there any reason you can't unlock the phone you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

bought 2 in the last few months online from laptopsdirect.ie. alcatel a7, 4g, 3gb Ram, 32gb internal memory,5.5" HD screen for around €100. arrived in 2 days. also bought a Cubot A5 similar spec for around the same price

• Advertisement

Try one of the independent phone repair shops, sometimes they sell unlocked phones. Alternatively, Currys/Carphone Warehouse might have some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi all,
    Is it possible to change some setting for GoMo or on the phone to allow me access data/4G while on a call? The data always seems to drop off? Is this happening for everyone else? Does it happen on all networks?

Thanks,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Is it possible to change some setting for GoMo or on the phone to allow me access data/4G while on a call? The data always seems to drop off? Is this happening for everyone else? Does it happen on all networks?

Thanks,
    M

It drops to just H from 4G but otherwise usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I went over the 80GB limit Sunday and it seems as if they have increased the speed for going over the limit in line with their agreement with the government for extra bandwith. Its only about 1Mbps download but is at least usable. Your not going to be streaming in HD with it but compared to last month when it slowed down to a trickle taking ages to open a webpage then it is at least an improvement and usable.

PS youtube at the 480 setting is fine for streaming.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

4G always dropped back to 3G while I’m making a call, sometimes it may disappear altogether but generally that’s only if I’m in a area that the coverage wouldn’t be great anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Aquos76 wrote: »
    4G always dropped back to 3G while I’m making a call, sometimes it may disappear altogether but generally that’s only if I’m in a area that the coverage wouldn’t be great anyway.

That's because none of the networks in Ireland have voLTE (voice over lte) as far as I know. Which means 4g is only used for data. Calls will always be done over 3g/2g.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Mr.S wrote: »
    Looking to move away from GoMo to 48 - am I right in saying I just need to port my number with 48 and my contract will automatically be cancelled on GoMo’s side?

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Hi all,

moved my voda account from a bill pay to PAYG. They put 10e on my account and told me i needed to top up to register on a plan.
    Logged into GOMO to port over my number but keep getting the error text back saying
    "OH no we tried to move your number to our network but the account tyupe you slected did not match with your current provider...see out FAQ...etc'

Ive tried both unregistered pre paid and registered prepaid but neither work.

Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

If I move to Gomo.... when i start up with the new SIM will all my TextMessages And WhatsApp message still be on my phone???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Yes, they will. They're stored on the phone. Just check that your phone numbers are stored to the phone or on your Google account (if you're on Android). If your phone numbers are saved to your current sim you might have to enter them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Yes, they will. They're stored on the phone. Just check that your phone numbers are stored to the phone or on your Google account (if you're on Android). If your phone numbers are saved to your current sim you might have to enter them again.

Many thanks.... how do I know my numbers ar on my phone or Sim?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Masala wrote: »
    If I move to Gomo.... when i start up with the new SIM will all my TextMessages And WhatsApp message still be on my phone???

Just don't put the sim in the phone till the port is complete and you will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I had signed up for the €9.99 deal the first week this deal came out....I just noticed today that Eir have been invoicing me €10.59 since last month...I have a direct debit of €9.99 payment every month set up, although the payment automatically processed last month at €10.59 without my permission!

Has anybody experienced this? And how can they take extra money from my account without my permission? :eek:

If you send 2 MMS a month that would explain it, but the bill would give you a breakdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Look at your bill, it should show what is being charged for. One of my sims is doing that but that is because granny is texting spain. International calls and texts are chargeable.

If only I could get her to use whatsapp instead......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Why have you set up a direct debit with eir? GoMo automatically take the amount due from your registered Debit or Credit Card and not by direct debit from your bank account.

The amount taken via direct debit can be varied without your permission as can the amount taken by GoMo from your registered Debit/Credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Hi all. I'm about to hit the Buy Now button on a Huawei from Eir. I just want to confirm that an Eir-locked phone will work with a Gomo Sim.
    I found a couple of cases here where people with an Eir phone had issues trying to use a Gomo Sim.
    Just hoping for a definitive answer....as Huawei unlock codes are usually up around €40 for phones locked to Irish networks.

You're better off asking either Eir or GoMo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,408 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm about to hit the Buy Now button on a Huawei from Eir. I just want to confirm that an Eir-locked phone will work with a Gomo Sim.
    I found a couple of cases here where people with an Eir phone had issues trying to use a Gomo Sim.
    Just hoping for a definitive answer....as Huawei unlock codes are usually up around €40 for phones locked to Irish networks.

If you've found a couple of cases where people with GoMo Sims had issues using them in an Eir locked phone and the issue was to do with network locking and not something else then the definitive answer appears to be in some cases there will be issues. In other there will be none.

My own personal experience is that there will be no issues in the example you provide. However I can only explain the stories youve heard by advising the issues were not network lock issues in the first instance.

Advertisement