Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Allowances should reset on first of next month.

Even if the roaming allowance is exceeded, roaming data should still be available as long as total usage is under 80GB but there is a charge of 5.40 per GB. Maybe it has to be enabled via webchat or portal.

From price guide...

Thanks for that. It should roll over again on February 1. I'll make do with the hotel wifi for the next 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Thanks for that. It should roll over again on February 1. I'll make do with the hotel wifi for the next 24 hours.

Surely the data would be still available when you go over the allowance just your charged for it. Or do I have that wrong ?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Surely the data would be still available when you go over the allowance just your charged for it. Or do I have that wrong ?

Yes it is available but you have to agree to be charged for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Yes it is available but you have to agree to be charged for it

Don't forget the cap of Eur 30 on out of bundle charges. Eur 30 would get you about 7GB of data (Eur 4.31 per GB).

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

My understanding of roaming within the EU is as follows: if I am in, say, France and roaming on a network there, I can call or text any other number, in any EU country, at the same cost as if I was at home and called an Irish number.

Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,453 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Poulgorm wrote: »
    My understanding of roaming within the EU is as follows: if I am in, say, France and roaming on a network there, I can call or text any other number, in any EU country, at the same cost as if I was at home and called an Irish number.

Am I right?

That would be for free? Which I doubt very much would be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Am I right?

Yes, that is correct

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/question-and-answers-roaming
    11. If I travel and call or text a friend, do I have to worry on which operator he/she is or whether it is a fixed or mobile?

No. When you are roaming in the EU, all calls to mobile and fixed numbers in the EU will be counted against your national volume of minutes (or will be unlimited if you have unlimited calls at home), exactly as if you were calling within your home country. If you have distinct so-called ‘on-net’ and ‘off-net’ volumes in your national bundle, all the roaming minutes may be all deducted from the off-net volume, and also when you call another subscriber of the same domestic operator while roaming.

For example: If you have a Belgian card and you travel to France and call either a hotel in France, back home to Belgium, or to any other country in the EU and the EEA, you are roaming (refer to legal text on the regulation on roaming) , and you will pay Belgian internal domestic prices (refer to legal text).
    However, if a Belgian SIM card holder calls from Belgium to Spain, she/he will pay the international tariff. Calls from home to another EU country are not roaming and are not regulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

Am I alone in having subscribed to GoMo, been billed.....and yet haven't even recieved a SIM card in the post yet? I went into an Eir store a while back, and the staff said that they need to be contacted directly. Yet the GoMo group seem to be extremely difficult to get through to.

It is particularly annoying as I have to keep my current mobile provider, which is a more expensive service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

DS86DS wrote: »
    Am I alone in having subscribed to GoMo, been billed.....and yet haven't even recieved a SIM card in the post yet? I went into an Eir store a while back, and the staff said that they need to be contacted directly. Yet the GoMo group seem to be extremely difficult to get through to.

It is particularly annoying as I have to keep my current mobile provider, which is a more expensive service.

Yes that's lost in the post, it should arrive in less than a week from when you ordered.
    You can order a replacement when you log in to your GOMO account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

When you say "billed", do you mean you've been charge the activation fee upon purchase?

Or have since paid a monthly fee (€9.99 / €12.99) also?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    That would be for free? Which I doubt very much would be the case.

I hope your doubts are now put to rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

shmeee wrote: »
    When you say "billed", do you mean you've been charge the activation fee upon purchase?

Or have since paid a monthly fee (€9.99 / €12.99) also?

I've already paid the activation fee. They are charging me a monthly bill for supposed usage, when I can't even use the service without a SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

I've already paid the activation fee. They are charging me a monthly bill for supposed usage, when I can't even use the service without a SIM card.

Contact them, some say Twitter is a fast method if the chat isn't responding.

Did you get an email saying your Sim was even dispatched? Haven't heard much of slow postage, only at the start when they informed customers of the backlog.

Another query on charges - not related to roaming. I have a relative who resides in the UK, whom I call from time to time, on her Irish phone.

I have never been charged at international call rates for doing this - it just seems to be treated as a call within Ireland. Is this a mistake by the provider I am with? Or is there some EU rule that states if you call an Irish phone and they happen to be abroad in some other EU country at the time, that it is treated as a domestic call?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Another query on charges - not related to roaming. I have a relative who resides in the UK, whom I call from time to time, on her Irish phone.

I have never been charged at international call rates for doing this - it just seems to be treated as a call within Ireland. Is this a mistake by the provider I am with? Or is there some EU rule that states if you call an Irish phone and they happen to be abroad in some other EU country at the time, that it is treated as a domestic call?

If you call an Irish number it's an Irish call no matter where the recipient is. It's the recipient that will pay any extra charges (none in this case).

Using an Irish SIM continuously in a roaming location might be against terms but unless it's being over used it's probably just ignored.

If you call a UK number roamimg in Ireland from an Irish mobile located in Ireland you'll be charged at international rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Poulgorm wrote: »

I hope your doubts are now put to rest.

Maybe this will change your mind....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/30/uk_government_free_eu_roaming_will_end/

The piece says, in part -

"Britain enters an 11-month transition period, where it effectively remains a member of the single market and customs union. Once that ends, major changes will be afoot, including the end of guaranteed free roaming across the European Union. That will leave Brits at the mercy of their cellular network operators, which can choose to continue providing free roaming... or not.

"From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end," Gov.UK confirms."

The UK Gov site says -

"Mobile roaming: free roaming may end
    From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing.

Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tell how you can do this."

I amno sure who's 'new law' they are referring to.

BarryM wrote: »
    Maybe this will change your mind....

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/01/30/uk_government_free_eu_roaming_will_end/

The piece says, in part -

"Britain enters an 11-month transition period, where it effectively remains a member of the single market and customs union. Once that ends, major changes will be afoot, including the end of guaranteed free roaming across the European Union. That will leave Brits at the mercy of their cellular network operators, which can choose to continue providing free roaming... or not.

"From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end," Gov.UK confirms."

The UK Gov site says -

"Mobile roaming: free roaming may end
    From 1 January 2021, the guarantee of free mobile phone roaming throughout the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will end.

Check with your phone operator to find out about any roaming charges you might get from 1 January 2021.

A new law means that you’re protected from getting mobile data charges above £45 without you knowing.

Once you reach £45, you need to opt in to spend more so that you can continue using the internet while you’re abroad. Your phone operator will tell how you can do this."

I amno sure who's 'new law' they are referring to.

No, it doesn't change my mind. Not for the next 11 months anyway. And from the January 2021, the same rules as now will still apply in the remaining countries in the EU.

Nobody knows what will come out of the agreement that they are supposed to make by the end of December.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

GoMo posted on their Facebook page a few weeks ago in clear terms that they will not be introducing UK roaming charges after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Quackster wrote: »
    GoMo posted on their Facebook page a few weeks ago in clear terms that they will not be introducing UK roaming charges after Brexit.

The UK networks also announced that they would keep to the EU roaming arrngement when the reality of Brexit first bit.

As both Vodafone and 3 have networks in the UK there is little actual cost in them having reciprocal roaming IRL-UK, only eir and the MVNOs need agreements and they would be at a big disadvantage if they didn't offer in bundle UK roaming.

Roaming data rolled over on February 1st, back to normal. Thanks all.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »

I was in the UK recently (with GoMo) and I was roaming on EE. I think they are part of BT. So, it would seem that Eir/GoMo have some arrangement with BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

Any one able to use the 'Bar Mobile Services' option under Account Details - I am unable to select or unselect any of the options

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

sammyano wrote: »
    Any one able to use the 'Bar Mobile Services' option under Account Details - I am unable to select or unselect any of the options

At the moment you can only get this modified via customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sammyano

At the moment you can only get this modified via customer service.

ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

I have been unable to find a table of international call charge rates for calls made from Ireland on GoMo's website and I have not had any clarity from emailing support (seems to be an automated system with little or no human intervention). They seem to get confused with roaming charges. My main interest is in calling Australian mobiles as that is my main need. Can anybody please clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ecowise wrote: »
    I have been unable to find a table of international call charge rates for calls made from Ireland on GoMo's website and I have not had any clarity from emailing support (seems to be an automated system with little or no human intervention). They seem to get confused with roaming charges. My main interest is in calling Australian mobiles as that is my main need. Can anybody please clarify?

That's odd, this is the first thing that shows up for me on google

https://gomo.ie/wp-content/uploads/mobile-pt12.2-5.pdf

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You'd be better off using someone like Dialwise through GoMo. Basically, first you dial an access phone number, then you dial the actual Australian phone number you want to call. I'm sure there are others, though.

At the moment, with GoMo, a call to Australia will set you back €0.50 a minute (band 7).
    https://gomo.ie/wp-content/uploads/mobile-pt12.2-5.pdf (BTW, you have to scroll down :))

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

ecowise wrote: »

Just google Gomo International Call Charges and you’ll find it quite easily.
    50c per minute to Australian mobiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

Thanks to everyone who replied about international call charges. Did they add the international call charges recently to that document? I thought I had scrolled down the first time I saw it and they were not there so every time it popped up again I did not look beyond the first page. (GoMo support said it was 2.99 per minute but did not say if that was cents or euros and anyway they were confusing it with roaming.) Anyway thanks again and I will check out Dialwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

I use www.call13434.ie - they've been around for over a decade and you only get charged by them if the call connects to your destination (note that you do also have the call to Dublin part to an 01 number).

Advertisement