Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Eating a takeaway from Supermacs a few minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

madmaggie wrote: »
    The elderly uncle gets me to look up rip.ie every day. When there are no new notices he kind of disappointed. "Jayziz, is there no one dying at all"

i'd love to know more about this - is he in earnest or just using a turn of phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Kind of sad that it is a novelty but really good customer service from a mega corporation.

The auld lad uses an electric razor and he was on to me saying it had started making a loud grinding noise when it was turned on and would I look at a new one for him. I'm thinking to myself I only got you that one less than 18 months ago. On to the Philips website, opened up a chat session, gave him the details, went through the script of take off this piece and turn it on, is there any visible damage on this piece or that piece and so on.

He had me take a photo of the serial number, and screenshot of the receipt and upload it and said a new head unit will be with me in 1-3 working days, apologising for any inconvenience.

Less than three minutes on a chat session with someone who, I don't want to say is just doing his job that seems kind of demeaning, but yeah, does his job well and solved a problem for the customer. :) Can be a rarity in customer service sometimes when you often get a runaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

sporina wrote: »
    i'd love to know more about this - is he in earnest or just using a turn of phrase?

He's of the age that sees a funeral as s day out! That might seem weird, especially in these times, but in rural Ireland it be a big deal.

Getting my hair and beard trimmed in the hairdressers today

• Advertisement

He's of the age that sees a funeral as s day out! That might seem weird, especially in these times, but in rural Ireland it be a big deal.

jaysus.. :eek: my folks are obsessed with listening to the deaths.. if I arrived into the the kitchen while they wer on having not been home for months and months (which is the case atm actually), i'd be told to shussshh.. lol.. but its not cos they want a day out.. they are afraid of their lives that they will miss out on knowing that someone they know had died.. and miss the funeral etc..

I keep telling them they'll hear their own name being read out sometime lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Going into a library !!
    And even better is getting a James Lee Burke book, I love his writing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The elderly uncle gets me to look up rip.ie every day. When there are no new notices he kind of disappointed. "Jayziz, is there no one dying at all"

I don’t look that up unless I need to find info about somebody I know died... I’d be scared to be looking and see my own name, as almost came to pass in ‘16.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

sporina wrote: »
    jaysus.. :eek: my folks are obsessed with listening to the deaths.. if I arrived into the the kitchen while they wer on having not been home for months and months (which is the case atm actually), i'd be told to shussshh.. lol.. but its not cos they want a day out.. they are afraid of their lives that they will miss out on knowing that someone they know had died.. and miss the funeral etc..

I keep telling them they'll hear their own name being read out sometime lol :D

Ha same with my folks. They haven't been to a funeral since before Covid-19. Again they are not the sort who go for the tea and sandwiches afterwards, more a chance to catch up with old friends and neighbours.
    Hate the things myself and only go if it's someone I genuinely cared about (or their family.)

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Ha same with my folks. They haven't been to a funeral since before Covid-19. Again they are not the sort who go for the tea and sandwiches afterwards, more a chance to catch up with old friends and neighbours.
    Hate the things myself and only go if it's someone I genuinely cared about (or their family.)

oh but its not cos they like funerals... they would just hate if they didn't get to pay their respects.. (worried people would think they didn't care etc)

• Advertisement

Golden Discs reopening on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭This is it

Watching Back to the Future with the little fella for the first time \:)/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I saw a sign at a building site. SLOW MEN AT WORK.
    Well at least they are open about it. Tee hee!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This picture

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTglNWk3HsOtA_lvV1gLaQi2JFYnJOOilaReg&usqp=CAU

Also two of my favorite little people are coming to visit in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I went to our local supermarket earlier. Outside were 2 of my aunts from separate houses having a chat at the door. I haven't seen them properly in a long time only chance meetings like that. We stopped for a chat. Next thing, my cousin from another house pops up with his child, again who I haven't seen in ages.
    What are the chances of it? Four different households. Albeit it was brief, but it was lovely.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I spoke with my Dad who was telling me he received another phone call from the CEO of the religious charity he’s involved in on their board.

They’d been conducting meetings via zoom, but some of the older lot while enabled to log on have been pushing for in person meetings over the last while...

There is a sneaky meeting scheduled at the house of the CEO, about 12-14 people... my dad fair play to him told them to stick it... he’s been doing a humongous amount of great work with and for them over 20 years but their conduct during this whole pandemic has been shameful... quite prepared to fûck the health and wellbeing of their members and volunteers under the bus to try and retain the optics of ... “ ohhhh look at us, even in times of great challenge we are still working away...”....Yep, and at what price ?

Proud that he’s stuck up for himself, his family and told them where to fućking stick it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,261 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is brillant sounds like my auld fella.

Looks up rip.ie and says -

'Lets see if anyone we know has died'.

Has clicked on it that often is one of his most viewed sites. :D

Then if he does not get a 'result' - says 'Nope'. And says he will check again tomorrow....!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I brought the uncle to visit his 90 year old pal. They haven't seen each other since last year. We're both vaccinated, as is everyone in the other man's house. They had some craic, there was whiskey involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Watching Only Fools And Horses on UK Gold and see that it’s being broadcast in the correct aspect ratio of 4:3.

Back at Mass this morning after a few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Listening to the sound of falling rain

Autosport wrote: »
    Listening to the sound of falling rain

Nice day where I am

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I saw the little ducklings from a while back all grown up with their Ma.
    There was 11 at the start, now there is 9 which is good going really.

Takeaway pizza and chips for dinner. It was delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Being able to run with no pain !!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Seeing a Goldfinch on my walk this morning. They are one of my, if not my favourite birds but unfortunately I don't tend to see many around anymore.

Seeing a Goldfinch on my walk this morning. They are one of my, if not my favourite birds but unfortunately I don't tend to see many around anymore.

Put out some njer seeds. They can't resist them.

much and all as I like eating picnic style with mates in the great outdoors, its weather dependant etc,.. but yesterday a mate and I at last enjoy tea and chats in the comfort of her conservatory woo hoo.. felt soo nice - civil and comfy - and normal.. hmm..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,216 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I brought the car for the NCT and my mother came.
    An old ladies car was done and she got into it and she was ages in it without taking off.
    My mother says to me what’s taking the old one so long to get to take off and maybe she’s after dying.
    I just couldn’t stop laughing.

• Advertisement

Buying a book today in a bookshop

Advertisement