Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Options

Comments

I'm boarding my first flight in forever shortly. I'm going away for work but I will have a short visit with my home family, and I haven't seen them in nearly two years. My dad was ill during this time, and most of them had Covid over the last year. Everyone is fine, but I didn't always know that would be the case and there have been some very tough days.

I don't know what I'm going to do most of, hugging or crying, but I feel very emotional after doing my best to keep things together for so long. Might even sob all the way there. Don't care if I do.

A day I've wished for so hard is finally here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

Candie wrote: »
    I'm boarding my first flight in forever shortly. I'm going away for work but I will have a short visit with my home family, and I haven't seen them in nearly two years. My dad was ill during this time, and most of them had Covid over the last year. Everyone is fine, but I didn't always know that would be the case and there have been some very tough days.

I don't know what I'm going to do most of, hugging or crying, but I feel very emotional after doing my best to keep things together for so long. Might even sob all the way there. Don't care if I do.

A day I've wished for so hard is finally here.

Thats great, savour the time !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Spent the day out walking with my bestie along the water, quality chats, coffee and cake along the way.. loving the simple things in life these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Getting a really good mandarin.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

An unexpected "Thank you" bunch of lovely flowers. :)

• Advertisement

Getting a really good mandarin.

I hear ya.. a bit like when you open a new punnet of grapes and they are really nice.. hmm.. the littlest things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

First vaccination today. So far, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Found out this morning that I’m booked for the vaccine on Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Not at all trivial. The ED doctor on duty at the local A&E who attended my 89 year old father who was admitted via ambulance with an ongoing issue overnight. He's had multiple a&e visits with this over the past 12 months. So far, he's been 'patched up' sent home and left to languish in the system til his out patient appointment rolls round. This Doctor went above and beyond; excellent analgesia an x ray (believe it or not, no one bothered to x ray him previously) referred him to a geriatric care team to re-assess him physically and mentally and on top of all this, she stayed behind when her stint on call finished and waited for the surgeon's secretary to arrive into her office and insisted my Dad get an out patient's appointment ASAP, which she got for him and then she phoned me herself with the appointment date and time so we wouldn't be left wondering until the letter arrived. An absolute credit to her profession and with the kind of ethic everyone in the HSE should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Not at all trivial. The ED doctor on duty at the local A&E who attended my 89 year old father who was admitted via ambulance with an ongoing issue overnight. He's had multiple a&e visits with this over the past 12 months. So far, he's been 'patched up' sent home and left to languish in the system til his out patient appointment rolls round. This Doctor went above and beyond; excellent analgesia an x ray (believe it or not, no one bothered to x ray him previously) referred him to a geriatric care team to re-assess him physically and mentally and on top of all this, she stayed behind when her stint on call finished and waited for the surgeon's secretary to arrive into her office and insisted my Dad get an out patient's appointment ASAP, which she got for him and then she phoned me herself with the appointment date and time so we wouldn't be left wondering until the letter arrived. An absolute credit to her profession and with the kind of ethic everyone in the HSE should have.

Write a letter to the hospital manager praising her and send that lady a card :)
    Great news re your dad x

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Write a letter to the hospital manager praising her and send that lady a card :)
    Great news re your dad x

I've already discussed and agreed with Dad we'll be sending her a thank you card but hadn't thought of contacting the hospital manager. I think I'd prefer to write to the ED consultant as that could have greater and more immediate positive impact for her. Thanks for the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Finally got a haircut - the relief!

Im sitting outside a doctor's surgery, in the car, waiting on someone getting their second vaccine.

The nurse is outside co ordinating people as they arrive and she's an absolute joy to watch. She knows everyone and I mean everyone! by name and roars a big happy greeting to them when they're still halfway down the street. She even recognized one man who was wearing a big hat pulled down low, an extra large mask and big coat. I heard her say 'I recognized you by your eyes'. It's clear they all really like her and she's standing there now with her carefully organized, socially distanced queues of patients and she's joking with them and absolutely bent double laughing.

Oh and one elderly lady came out and as her son walked towards her she just burst into happy tears. Presumably relieved/delighted to have the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Im sitting outside a doctor's surgery, in the car, waiting on someone getting their second vaccine.

The nurse is outside co ordinating people as they arrive and she's an absolute joy to watch. She knows everyone and I mean everyone! by name and roars a big happy greeting to them when they're still halfway down the street. She even recognized one man who was wearing a big hat pulled down low, an extra large mask and big coat. I heard her say 'I recognized you by your eyes'. It's clear they all really like her and she's standing there now with her carefully organized, socially distanced queues of patients and she's joking with them and absolutely bent double laughing.

Oh and one elderly lady came out and as her son walked towards her she just burst into happy tears. Presumably relieved/delighted to have the vaccine.
    Proper organization is a joy to behold and when it has the human touch, its a real gift to everyone. TH, ppl who have and are allowed use their organizational abilities.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm learning French with an app on my phone.
    It's only my fourth day but I'm making good progress.

Je m'appelle blade1.
    Enchanté!
    J' habite et travaille en Irland. :D

Bredabe wrote: »
    Proper organization is a joy to behold and when it has the human touch, its a real gift to everyone. TH, ppl who have and are allowed use their organizational abilities.

whats "TH'?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Trivially Happy/ Trivial Happiness

v trivial in comparison to BuileBeag's amazing post, but got a pedi and mani today :D.... been dying to have my nails done for months.. the moment I went inside and smelt the acrylic I was like "droool".. hmmm.. sheer joy.. my nails grow soo fast and hard - they are soo difficult to file.. lovely a short now with a fab combination of colours :)

blade1 wrote: »
    I'm learning French with an app on my phone.
    It's only my fourth day but I'm making good progress.

Je m'appelle blade1.
    Enchanté!
    J' habite et travaille en Irland. :D

J'ai quatorze ans!

I was 14 when I learned french! I should learn how to update that! :D

J'ai quatorze ans!

Haven't got that far yet :D

Un homme mexicain mange une pizza :pac:

I'm a bit limited with what I can talk about at the moment :pac:

Edit: is what u said " I'm 40 years old"?
    Just a guess

• Advertisement

Haven't got that far yet :D

Un homme mexicain mange une pizza :pac:

I'm a bit limited with what I can talk about at the moment :pac:

Does that mean a Mexican man ate pizza?? Bahaha learning the important stuff first! :D

I can also say 'tu es tres beau' because of one particular liaison* with a hot french man. (*See what I did there)

Edit: what I said is I'm 14 years old. Because I was 14 when I learned a little french. I don't know how to say my age now.

Does that mean a Mexican man ate pizza?? Bahaha learning the important stuff first! :D

I can also say 'tu es tres beau' because of one particular liaison* with a hot french man. (*See what I did there)

Edit: what I said is I'm 14 years old. Because I was 14 when I learned a little french. I don't know how to say my age now.

Eating I think.
    Well we can have a French, Spanish, English, American or a Mexican man for now. :pac:

Ah 14, I see.
    I'll get there.
    I'm surprised with what I know already.

Eating I think.
    Well we can have a French, Spanish, English, American or a Mexican man for now. :pac:

Ah 14, I see.
    I'll get there.
    I'm surprised with what I know already.

Good luck with it.

Good luck with it.

Merci beaucoup! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,829 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

A gorgeous scented candle , Suede and Mahogany .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    A gorgeous scented candle , Suede and Mahogany .

wow how unusual - never heard of that combo.. what brand is that?

I get my candles from The Bearded Candle Makers.. there divine.. my fav is The Mourne Mountain Heather.. I adore it.. takes me right back to the hills.. was great when covid prevented me from hiking.. I usually burn it for about 3-4.. but the aroma remains in the room for the whole week afterwards.. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,829 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

sporina wrote: »
    wow how unusual - never heard of that combo.. what brand is that?

I get my candles from The Bearded Candle Makers.. there divine.. my fav is The Mourne Mountain Heather.. I adore it.. takes me right back to the hills.. was great when covid prevented me from hiking.. I usually burn it for about 3-4.. but the aroma remains in the room for the whole week afterwards.. hmm

Carlingford Candles Sporina.
    One of the small shops here sells them , in a variety of scents . Three wick candle .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Carlingford Candles Sporina.
    One of the small shops here sells them , in a variety of scents . Three wick candle .

sounds fab - must look em up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,828 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Strumms wrote: »
    Found out this morning that I’m booked for the vaccine on Wednesday...

And received another call today to tell me I’m booked in at a different center.. The Mater on Friday too....

Vaccines are like Dublin bus, nothing for six months then two come along... two days from each other....mad.

Just glad to be jabbed tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The elderly uncle gets me to look up rip.ie every day. When there are no new notices he kind of disappointed. "Jayziz, is there no one dying at all"

Advertisement