Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Did he pick the wrong Connacht Lock??

It depends on what he is looking for in a lock, Roux is a workhorse and excellent scrummaging tighthead lock. I assume the other lock you were talking about is Dillane, who is far more athletic around the park and can make more dynamic carries but wouldn't have quite the same workrate as Roux.

I'd say that Dillane is in better form right now as Roux is coming back of bad virus last season and hasn't quite hit the levels he was playing at before then but I think he is getting better with game time

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Yeah, I fully expected Dillane to get the nod. No disrespect to Roux, who is clearly a good player and has performed well for Ireland.
    But on recent form, I'm not sure i'd have him in the Connacht team. Hopefully he uses this to kick on though, he's definitely able.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Only 2 LHs. I wonder is Porter being viewed as an option on both sides..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

molloyjh wrote: »
    Only 2 LHs. I wonder is Porter being viewed as an option on both sides..

Bealham has done that before too

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ireland squad by position:

LH: Healy, Byrne
    HK: Herring, Kelleher, Heffernan
    TH: Porter, Ryan, Bealham
    LK: Henderson, Ryan, Baird, Beirne, Roux
    BS: Doris, POM
    N8: Stander, Conan

SH: Murray, Marmion, JGP
    OH: Sexton, Byrne, Carty
    IC: Aki, Henshaw, McCloskey
    OC: Ringrose, Farrell
    WG: Conway, Larmour, Stockdale
    FB: Daly, Keenan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Larmour will be playing FB v Ita and Fra

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I hope we're looking at Beirne as a backrow rather than a as a lock. Don't think he has the power to be a top class second row. But he has all the ability to be a great blindside.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

bilston wrote: »
    Cooney has had what? 2 1/2 bad games since restart...even then he was excellent the other night against Benetton...and gets dropped from the squad completely??? What a kick in the teeth...hard one to take for him.

I feal sorry for Cooney , seams to have got on the wrong end of many decisions throughout his career , must be really tough to take, for a such a talented player - every player goes through bad periods, sport is about confidence , must feal rotten - wasnt he Ireland No. 1 when Covid hit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

Well there’s a fair endings to players international careers there. This is what the new Ireland will look like for the next few years.

We’re very light in the back 3. I hope those players can tackle rampaging locks down the wing channel if it comes to it. I think they’ll make up for it in attacking ability but we look very light in all areas.

I’m comparing to the likes of England and France BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

6 uncapped players in the squad and 4 young players being called up to train with the squad.

Good to see some hefty rotation in there, and the likes of Bealham and Heffernan being rewarded for form and brought back into the fold.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Murray was always getting selected, I think it's clear at this stage that his form is of no consequence to his national side selection.

JGP has been very good. Haven't seen much of Marmion.

Cooney was rotten in the interpros and dropped for the league final. He doesn't have the credit in the bank to see himself through periods of bad form and still be selected. He can have no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not much variety at centre other than Ringrose. Four brutes in Aki, Farrell, Henshaw and McCloskey. Was hoping to see a call up for Tom Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Murray is in the untouchable veteran spot.
    Marmion is the experienced backup who is playing well.
    McGrath and Cooney had been fighting for the up and comer, shake things up spot. That has been taken by JGP this time.

Nothing set in stone and they will both get further chance if league form demands it I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

D15er wrote: »
    Herring didn't qualify under residency.

Fair enough. Like Bent.
    Ah You attracted a lot of ire because he was so very obviously below the standard required. He was a fraud. That was his main problem.

Rodney Ah You was well deserving of his place in 2014, and many many rugby fans called for him to be called up behind Moore. You can literally go back on these boards and see the support of that.
    Michael Bent was a white guy who attracted far more criticism than Ah You ever did despite being a far better player so I'm not sure your racism angle holds up.

Michael Bent wasn't a residency ruling, he is Irish qualified, so as you pointed out with Herring, is irrelevant.
    I don't think many people even noticed Diack either coming or going tbh.

My point entirely. Both called up at the same time. One was met with "Irish team for Irish players" malark. The other wasn't.

How about in the centre? When Jared Payne was asked on Radio New Zealand if he thought Bundee would get some grief he said he said he doubted it as he received very little (save a certain Lord Francis). We all know that didn't happen. Quinn Roux also commented on the surprise he got when Aki received this criticism.

I'm sure neither of us want to drag the thread down this road. You're fully entitled to your opinion on it. But I do feel mine has a little bit of consideration behind it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Fair enough. Like Bent.

Rodney Ah You was well deserving of his place in 2014, and many many rugby fans called for him to be called up behind Moore. You can literally go back on these boards and see the support of that.

Michael Bent wasn't a residency ruling, he is Irish qualified, so as you pointed out with Herring, is irrelevant.

My point entirely. Both called up at the same time. One was met with "Irish team for Irish players" malark. The other wasn't.

How about in the centre? When Jared Payne was asked on Radio New Zealand if he thought Bundee would get some grief he said he said he doubted it as he received very little (save a certain Lord Francis). We all know that didn't happen. Quinn Roux also commented on the surprise he got when Aki received this criticism.

I'm sure neither of us want to drag the thread down this road. You're fully entitled to your opinion on it. But I do feel mine has a little bit of consideration behind it also.

JGP is Maori if you are going down the racial angle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Schmidt will be excellent in that role. His detailed knowledge and top class analysis could fix some of rugby's issues and hopefully help grow the game.

hahashake wrote: »
    JGP is Maori if you are going down the racial angle.

Yes, he is. Represented them and all. But his name and skin tone don't stand out compared to the two examples of residency players, which drew the most irk.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Fair enough. Like Bent.

Stop looking for racism, you're even going back 6 bloody years to meet your agenda.

It's all subjective as to who got the most criticism.

Stop looking for racism, you're even going back 6 bloody years to meet your agenda.

It's all subjective as to who got the most criticism.

Agenda? Relax there guy. If you recall yourself you would note I didn't even start this thread of conversation, I replied to another.

Ah You was 6 years ago, does that make it irrelevant? I noted one other player who painted a similar picture, Bundee Aki, 3 years ago. Same scenario. And you think its a coincidence?

You can believe what you want, but you have done little to change my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Please stop with nationality thing. its tiresome and annoying.

Furlong - Has anybody seen any updates beyond the usual "recovering"?

Baird - Delighted to see him in. "Choo Choo" me hole!

Toner - I'm actually surprised. I'd still take Dev ahead of Roux.

I reckon are we going to see 6-2 split v Italy and France

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    Not much variety at centre other than Ringrose. Four brutes in Aki, Farrell, Henshaw and McCloskey. Was hoping to see a call up for Tom Daly.

Tom Farrell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Please stop with nationality thing. its tiresome and annoying.

Furlong - Has anybody seen any updates beyond the usual "recovering"?

Baird - Delighted to see him in. "Choo Choo" me hole!

Toner - I'm actually surprised. I'd still take Dev ahead of Roux.

I reckon are we going to see 6-2 split v Italy and France

Back is apparently fine. Calf is not

If it irritates or upsets you that I think there are hints of prejudice in some people's opinions on these players representing Ireland, message me. And we can discuss it and i'll happy change my mind if presented with different ideas or facts on it. But honestly, your comments so far haven't derailed my opinions on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

Agenda? Relax there guy. If you recall yourself you would note I didn't even start this thread of conversation, I replied to another.

Ah You was 6 years ago, does that make it irrelevant? I noted one other player who painted a similar picture, Bundee Aki, 3 years ago. Same scenario. And you think its a coincidence?

You can believe what you want, but you have done little to change my mind.

Stander and Payne had the same questions asked of them. Quinn Roux also.

Again, any stick that Ah You got was because he was the comfortably the worst player Joe Schmidt capped in his tenure, not because he had brown skin. He was terrible.

Stander and Payne had the same questions asked of them. Quinn Roux also.

Absolutely nowhere near the same level. Payne and Roux have even commented on this.
    Again, any stick that Ah You got was because he was the comfortably the worst player Joe Schmidt capped in his tenure, not because he had brown skin. He was terrible.

When Ah You was capped he was in good form and most Irish fans were calling for him to be called up. A look back on this forum even supports that.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Guinness RFC

Just to add I’d have Butler in ahead of Conan who I don’t think has been playing well. Also would have liked to see Lyttle in ahead of Stockdale whose form is off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Outside the scrum I thought Leinster were the better team - scored more tries too.

The had nicer socks as well.

But that’s irrelevant.

As mentioned above, no need to take the thread over with this. Nothing suggested has changed my mind, but if people feel strongly that there was nothing in the increased levels of interrogation Ah You and Aki got compared to other players like Diack, JGP, etc please message me and we can continue there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

If it irritates or upsets you that I think there are hints of prejudice in some people's opinions on these players representing Ireland, message me. And we can discuss it and i'll happy change my mind if presented with different ideas or facts on it. But honestly, your comments so far haven't derailed my opinions on it.

It's because this is an ideology to you, you are believing this based on no evidence.

Payne, Stander, Roux etc, all got their criticism too. Personally, I thought Kleyn got it worse than anyone, not that it matters much who had it worse.

Anyways, I'm sick of this residency conversation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement