Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭rayd3

Murray was good in his first two games back. Cooney was dropped from his position by McFarland.

Interesting that it isn’t a foreigner Gibson-Park taking son of Ireland Cooney’s place narrative. Why ever could that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    Cooney has had what? 2 1/2 bad games since restart...even then he was excellent the other night against Benetton...and gets dropped from the squad completely??? What a kick in the teeth...hard one to take for him.

I would imagine it is but he featured in 3 interpros in recent times and was poor in all. Those were always going to count for far more than the visit of Treviso.

I would imagine the squad was largely selected before the weekend games even took place.

OToole's injured and out for a while, and I actually think Moore has turned in some great performances - he looks like a marshmallow, but his actual performances aren't bad - he was excellent against Treviso.

His omission is the one I find inexplicable. Yes, his conditioning is not where it needs to be but it's not as bad as it was and he's still comfortably better than the likes of John Ryan who is a hardworking, solid pro but, at 32, will never be anything more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

rayd3 wrote: »
    Interesting that it isn’t a foreigner Gibson-Park taking son of Ireland Cooney’s place narrative. Why ever could that be?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Niallof9 wrote: »

If he goes with the "development" tag again for any of these lads, then i'm out, as its such a cop out from Farrell imo.

You've posted similar before yet bravely managed to come back...

Out of what? This forum? Ireland support? Interest? If any of these is fickle enough to be stopped by the label of a player in a training camp then I think you need to do some reevaluating.

• Advertisement

We hadn’t a hope of beating them after watching the demolition of Leinster by Sarries

Outside the scrum I thought Leinster were the better team - scored more tries too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,378 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah... i missed the provincial sh!te on here....... glad to see somethings stay the same in this 'new normal'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Slightly off topic, but to address your comment:
    rayd3 wrote: »

Reminds me of the time when Rodney Ah You, Robbie Diack and Rob Herring were initially called up in 2014. Have a wild guess about which one of the three, only one of the three, caused countless comments on the residency rule, "we don't want others scraps" and "taking Irish jerseys", etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Out of what? This forum? Ireland support? Interest? If any of these is fickle enough to be stopped by the label of a player in a training camp then I think you need to do some reevaluating.

in general. yeah my interest has waned as the same ****e keeps repeating itself. only that i love the sport itself do i keep coming back.

no i don't think i do. and you picked one aspect of it. my main bone of contention is the criteria used for selecting. Cooney has started poorly but for 18 months he was imperious. yet we have players in this squad struggling for the same amount of time. it makes no sense apart from class is permanent type of thinking, which has been debunked over two world cup campaigns and i won't mention the other thing on here the one people like to put their head in the sands about.

Perhaps its the people who continually accept this sort of stuff that need to do some reevaluating. the development tag stuff is complete nonsense. just have the balls to name Casey in the squad outright. It would be win win for Faz.

thats a guy who never posted in this forum for nearly two years.. including the whole of 2018 when were were world team of the year

tells you enough about his agenda really....

• Advertisement

in general. yeah my interest has waned as the same ****e keeps repeating itself.

no i don't think i do.

Perhaps its the people who continually accept this sort of stuff that need to do some reevaluating. the development tag stuff is complete nonsense.

Great. If you're interest has waned, why not stop posting?

Why should anyone take into account the opinion of a person whose admitted they're not interested in the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Reminds me of the time when Rodney Ah You, Robbie Diack and Rob Herring were initially called up in 2014. Have a wild guess about which one of the three, only one of the three, caused countless comments on the residency rule, "we don't want others scraps" and "taking Irish jerseys", etc?

Rob Herrings headband caused a lot of controversy alright.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats a guy who never posted in this forum for nearly two years.. including the whole of 2018 when were were world team of the year

Yeah well aware of Niall's agenda.

These sort of people would rather argue with the priest instead of just saying "I do" at their wedding.

And would complain about winning the lotto

sydthebeat wrote: »

oh give over will you you have no idea of my life circumstances. absolutely below the belt.

I have no agenda whatsoever. and people like yourself made me reevaluate my time as well debating your constant sniping. you're forever dealing with alot of posters on here rather than dealing with their points.

Can you or anybody who does this regularly point out how the Cooney thing is in any way good for Irish rugby considering he was in form for 18 months while others haven't been worth their place?

Yeah well aware of Niall's agenda.

These sort of people would rather argue with the priest instead of just saying "I do" at their wedding.

And would complain about winning the lotto

good one. yes lets all tow the party line on a forum for debate. I mean its been a really successful period lately for Ireland or are we living off 2018?

apart from personal circumstances the other reawson i stopped postingon here is because of people like yourself. and all the snide comments instead of debating the actual points. its so boring at this stage. i could deal with it if it was based on reality.

Deal with the main point:

Cooney out of the squad based on recent form while others get a pass for lengthy periods of poor form is a pretty poor call...and something that isn't new.

can you just deal with that point instead of personal attacks.

IF Baird is selected as a development player for instance then its an absolute drop the ball moment.

I will hold off til official announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

good one. yes lets all tow the party line on a forum for debate. I mean its being a really succesful period lately for Ireland or are we living off 2018?

apart from personal circumstances the other reawson i stopped postingon here is because of people like yourself. and all the snide comments instead of debating the actual points. its so boring at this stage. i could deal with it if it was based on reality.

Deal with the main point:

Cooney out of the squad based on recent form while others get a pass is a pretty poor call...

can you just deal with that point instead of personal attacks.

But there is no squad announced yet. Lets at least wait for an official announcement before we all loss our heads

KBurke85 wrote: »
    But there is no squad announced yet. Lets at least wait for an official announcement before we all loss our heads

Ok thats a fair point. Its not a sense of being outraged. i'm just tired of it really. he wasn't given a fair crack when in form and now he's out. Its the theme i'm concerned with. its a regular thing. McCloskey is an example of it.

I don't i just don't see how its good for morale. The players themselves aren't stupid. If the main CC players are playing poorly but keep getting selected something sometime has to give. and it will i think. I wouldn't be in any way hopeful in our upcoming matches against France and England.

Under Joe Schmidt we were one of the best teams in the World for a good amount of time playing by the numbers rugby. that is no longer the case and we have a coach learning on the job who has so far flip flopped around selections/big calls and how we are trying to play.

I mean if somebody is willing to take the opposite pov and detail it then yeah i'll listen to it. WE have some exciting potential.

If Faz is willing to throw in a few curve balls i'll be delighted. If we don't do it now it will be negligent in the extreme. We always use the WC excuse come November. The 6 nations is worth money i get that. 3 million.

So look maybe i should hold off on this squad. Get through these games come back with a new squad in the new format.

I'll be disappointed if i see Baird in a development place. Casey is perhaps understandable. But the game is so fluid here in terms of form i think the development tag is misnomer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭D15er

Herring didn't qualify under residency.

Ah You attracted a lot of ire because he was so very obviously below the standard required. He was a fraud. That was his main problem.

Michael Bent was a white guy who attracted far more criticism than Ah You ever did despite being a far better player so I'm not sure your racism angle holds up.

So yeah, Ah You copped a lot of flak because he was genuinely rubbish.

I don't think many people even noticed Diack either coming or going tbh.

Great to see Baird and McCloskey in there. And good that its just a straight squad with no development players

• Advertisement

A few missing from the predicted squad. No Craig Casey, Harry Byrne, Jack O Donaghue

Delighted to see mcclosky back in the fold

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Andrew Conway (Munster/Garryowen) 21 caps
    Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Con) uncapped
    Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 28 caps
    Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
    Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 24 caps

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 26 caps
    Chris Farrell (Munster/Young Munster) 9 caps
    Robbie Henshaw (Leinster/Buccaneers) 43 caps
    Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 3 caps
    Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 29 caps

Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 6 caps
    Jack Carty (Connacht/Buccaneers) 10 caps
    Jonathan Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 91 caps CAPTAIN

Kieran Marmion (Connacht/Corinthians) 27 caps
    Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 81 caps
    Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) uncapped

Dave Heffernan (Connacht/Buccaneers) 1 cap
    Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 11 caps
    Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 3 caps

Ed Byrne (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
    Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 98 caps
    Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Corinthians) 9 caps
    Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps
    John Ryan (Munster/Cork Constitution) 21 caps

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) uncapped
    Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
    Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 55 caps
    Quinn Roux (Connacht/Galwegians) 12 caps
    James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps

Will Connors (Leinster/UCD) uncapped
    Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 17 caps
    Caelan Doris (Leinster/UCD) 2 caps
    Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 67 caps
    CJ Stander (Munster/Shannon) 41 caps
    Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 26 caps

Training with Squad w/c 12th October
    Harry Byrne (Leinster/Lansdowne) uncapped
    Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) uncapped
    James Lowe (Leinster) uncapped
    James Tracy (Leinster/UCD) 6 caps
    Fineen Wycherley (Munster/Young Munster) uncapped

https://www.irishrugby.ie/2020/10/08/ireland-squad-named-to-complete-2020-guinness-six-nations-championship/

A few missing from the predicted squad. No Craig Casey, Harry Byrne, Jack O Donaghue

Casey and Byrne could still be included, but as apprentices rather than squad members. Think that's what happened the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    Casey and Byrne could still be included, but as apprentices rather than squad members. Think that's what happened the last time.

In addition Harry Byrne, Craig Casey, James Lowe, James Tracy and Fineen Wycherley will train with the squad next week at IRFU High Performance Centre in Dublin.

thats the end of sean cronin in green then

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Did he pick the wrong Connacht Lock??

I would think Dillane has a right to be disappointed.

Ed Byrne is set to be in the Irish 23 which is unexpected but not surprising given the injuries.

Roux gets the nod over Kleyn. Given Roux's discipline, he's probably somewhat fortunate to be in the squad. Happy to see form being rewarded at hooker and scrumhalf as well as the new blood in the backs.

Keenan or Daly have a very solid chance of making the 23 given Earls is out although I can see them going for Henshaw in the 23 jersey. If people step up and deliver, it could begin the end of Earls' test career.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's mad that Stockdale is the most experienced back three player we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Did he pick the wrong Connacht Lock??

Is Dillane not injured? Otherwise... I know Roux is a heavy TH lock and we need those as well, but bloody hell...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement