Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Faugheen wrote: »
    So you essentially agree with the decision yet have a pop at Harris anyway?

I honestly don’t get some people here. Whatever you’re having yourself I suppose.

Cancelling the game is absolutely the right decision. The situation has escalated beyond anything I’ve seen before.

He didn’t make the decision. He advised against it, and yes I think he is useless at his job.

And if this has escalated beyond anything you have seen before you must have been born post SARS 2003.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Play and no fans allowed to travel should be s. Option

It’s an option, just a silly one because you will have to refund everyone, and that’s a lot of money to throw away.

Play it at a later date and you don’t have to refund everyone, tickets can still be valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

jacothelad wrote: »
    Yes. Every effort must be made to stay this disease until a vaccination becomes available......possibly by the end of the year.
    That's an optimistic projection. It could well take longer.

The Chinese made a complete mess of this. The same old problem with authoritarian regimes. Keep it quiet in the hope that you can contain it and the very keeping quiet means it spreads out of control.

Play the match behind closed doors, as the Italians are doing for the Serie A games being played in the North of Italy this weekend and Inter are doing on Thursday in the Europe League.

Your not taking into account where the money comes from, europa league is mainly TV revenue, 6 nations is gate receipts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Simon Harris was just on off the ball, for poster who asked he said yes it applies to woman’s and u20 too. He came across well and spoke sense, right call.

• Advertisement

pc7 wrote: »
    Simon Harris was just in off the ball, for poster who asked he said yes it applies to woman’s and u20 too. He came across well and spoke sense, right call.

Surely he was on not in off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Surely he was on not in off.

Typo, fixed it for you

IRFU going to make a statement in about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

prawnsambo wrote: »
    IRFU going to make a statement in about an hour.

They will have to call off, anyone gets sick they could sue irfu if health minister said to call it off

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

He didn’t make the decision. He advised against it, and yes I think he is useless at his job.

He advised against what?

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They will have to call off, anyone gets sick they could sue irfu if health minister said to call it off
    They could still play behind closed doors. Obviously no ticket revenue, but by the looks of things, that could be gone anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

As a Matt Cooper listener texted, does this mean we'll have to stop all flights from Italy arriving now? What difference does a couple of thousand for match day make. If you want to stop it for the 6 nations game surely you stop all Italian flights from arriving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

As a Matt Cooper listener texted, does this mean we'll have to stop all flights from Italy arriving now? What difference does a couple of thousand for match day make. If you want to stop it for the 6 nations game surely you stop all Italian flights from arriving.

Some people will still have to fly.....

All companies etc are now limiting overseas flights

What happens if someone dies because they travel?

The texter is an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Italians mixing with 50000 people. Doh.

IRFU statement. They want an urgent meeting with the Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think it's just a case of somebody trying to be important. We have well over a thousand people travelling to and from Italy every day. There will be other events/gatherings that weekend anyway. Coronavirus is coming, whether we like it or not. A rugby match ain't going to change anything

I would assume that the people in the affected areas in Italy are not allowed travel. So there's that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think it's just a case of somebody trying to be important. We have well over a thousand people travelling to and from Italy every day. There will be other events/gatherings that weekend anyway. Coronavirus is coming, whether we like it or not. A rugby match ain't going to change anything

A complacent enough comment. I wouldn't expect events with just a domestic audience to be cancelled this weekend or next weekend (on current information) but an intense concentration of people with 10% coming from a region under a meedical travel advisory is a different level altogether.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, maybe he should have spoken to the IRFU before announcing live on national TV that the match was going to be called off.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IRFU are playing a dangerous game IMO. It is not a good look to avoid following government advice at times like this to avoid losing a few quid.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    IRFU are playing a dangerous game IMO. It is not a good look to avoid following government advice at times like this to avoid losing a few quid.
    Well government advice delivered over the airwaves is not exactly the way to go about it either.

What game are they playing? They should have been informed before it was announced on TV. As they statement says, they have no idea of the reasoning behind the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Absolutely! Get on board!

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well government advice delivered over the airwaves is not exactly the way to go about it either.

Yea that's true, but I think it's safe to assume that Simon Harris is more clued in on this than the IRFU and he's not just saying it for the craic.

The IRFU will look like total dickheads if they resist calls to cancel the game from government ministers.

I personally likely won't attend if it's the view of the Minister for Health that it shouldn't go ahead. Firstly for the obvious reasons, but secondly because if the IRFU try to force the game to go ahead in the face of opposing advice for the sake of a few quid then they can go fcuk themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

I think we all agree that the game should be cancelled, if that is the medical advice. But one would have thought that common courtesy would be employed by the government. EG contact the relevant stake holders.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yea that's true, but I think it's safe to assume that Simon Harris is more clued in on this than the IRFU and he's not just saying it for the craic.

The IRFU will look like total dickheads if they resist calls to cancel the game from government ministers.

They'll 100% be in the wrong if they refuse to cancel it or fight back on it, but at the end of the day Harris really should've consulted with them before announcing it publicly. IRFU are realistically the ones who'll face the backlash from fans and dealing with the Italian RFU etc and cancelling the event. A heads up and conversation about why they've come to the decision would've been common sense.

I personally likely won't attend if it's the view of the Minister for Health that it shouldn't go ahead. Firstly for the obvious reasons, but secondly because if the IRFU try to force the game to go ahead in the face of opposing advice for the sake of a few quid then they can go fcuk themselves.

You're jumping the gun a bit there. There is nothing to say that they're going to go against the advice of the government. But an announcement made on TV after 6pm without prior notification is not exactly the way to go about it and the IRFU are entirely within their rights to get the exact reasoning behind the decision before officially calling the game off. Especially when it's still 10 days away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Irfu making some bad decisions the past year

You're jumping the gun a bit there. There is nothing to say that they're going to go against the advice of the government. But an announcement made on TV after 6pm without prior notification is not exactly the way to go about it and the IRFU are entirely within their rights to get the exact reasoning behind the decision before officially calling the game off. Especially when it's still 10 days away.

This has all the hallmarks of Nucifora and is surely grounds enough for him to be sent packing?

• Advertisement

This has all the hallmarks of Nucifora and is surely grounds enough for him to be sent packing?

What? Jesus, take off the tinfoil hat. The statement would have come from the likes of Browne, not the guy in charge of player development and recruitment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement