Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ruddock's first senior cap came when he was called up to the Aus tour but it was mostly just cause he was playing in the U20 championship at the time. He didn't get capped again for 4 years. His first cap wasn't a James Ryan-esque situation, it was just based off geography and timing.

Yeah there was an injury crisis of biblical proportions, compounded by Heaslip's suspension. We were already scraping the barrel and Ruddock was basically the last warm body available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Cork29 wrote: »
    Which one of our current backrow makes another top rugby teams first 15?

Sadly the ans is none.

We do not have the athletes playing like we used to such as Ferris,Wallace,OBrien.

My point is we need better athletes, a centre in rugby has the skillset to play backrow

Van der Flier has been one of the best back rowers in Europe this season, so him probably.

Plenty of others would be in or around other teams starting 15s.

We have a lot of very good backrow forwards at the minute, but I'd agree we don't have the world class talent there we used to (Deegan, Doris etc could develop into that of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

VayNiice wrote: »
    Yeah 4 posts about POM in the past 3 months is a real obsession alright. You do realise it's the rugby forum? Are you digging through everyone's posting history or was my one post a week particularly interesting?

It’s all relative I guess, 4 posts is nearly a quarter of your posts ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lads the centre to backrow thing and how it wouldn't work has been explained to him before. Don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The over reaction to POM being selected over the last few pages is embarrassing.

If Ruddock was playing well enough he may have gotten in ahead of players like Jack OD or others.

POM had a great game against racing, there are aspects of his game that are far beyond every other forward in Ireland, and far beyond what ruddock is capable of, his weaknesses are mitigated by the managements game plan to have him outside the wingers in attack, he has plenty of pace and good hands and ensures quick possession when recycling out wide.

Maybe he doesn’t make the team, and maybe he does, but that’s a decision based on striking a balance between what he brings and what he doesn’t and it means the strengths and weaknesses of other players have to be taken into account.

Look at it this way, can Ireland include POM in their team meaning one less dominant ball carrying forward, ie. are there enough other carriers?

OR

If we don’t have POM then what other players offer a defensive lineout capability, and before anyone suggests Toner his defensive lineout work is poor.

Selection is all about balance, so people shouldn’t look at any players inclusion in isolation.

surely this is a parody account?

• Advertisement

Deegan
    Vdf
    Dorris

backrow for Leinster this weekend. Interesting to see how that goes, certainly dynamic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

kilns wrote: »
    surely this is a parody account?

Why so?

Why so?

1. aspects of his game that are far beyond every other forward in Ireland
    2. he has plenty of pace
    3. good hands
    4. ensures quick possession when recycling out wide.
    5. If we don’t have POM then what other players offer a defensive lineout capability, and before anyone suggests Toner his defensive lineout work is poor - for what its worth Ryan had the most line out steals of any Irish player at the world cup

1. aspects of his game that are far beyond every other forward in Ireland
    2. he has plenty of pace
    3. good hands
    4. ensures quick possession when recycling out wide.
    5. If we don’t have POM then what other players offer a defensive lineout capability, and before anyone suggests Toner his defensive lineout work is poor - for what its worth Ryan had the most line out steals of any Irish player at the world cup

You would make a great secretary, putting numbers on someone’s points of view.

You would make a great secretary, putting numbers on someone’s points of view.

all part of the job:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah there was an injury crisis of biblical proportions, compounded by Heaslip's suspension. We were already scraping the barrel and Ruddock was basically the last warm body available.

He was also a well rated young player who was also eligible to play for Wales. No doubt management were happy to lock in him for Ireland as well.

all part of the job:D

Fair play for providing an alternative point of view anyway. It’s refreshing to know that not everyone dislikes POM the rugby player for the sake of it and some people, like yourself are able to put forward valid, reasonable and respectful opinions on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

VayNiice wrote: »
    Yeah 4 posts about POM in the past 3 months is a real obsession alright. You do realise it's the rugby forum? Are you digging through everyone's posting history or was my one post a week particularly interesting?

You can't count either I see, let me help you out there. You have posted 11 times in this thread and its predecessor and of those 11, 7 have been criticising POM. Patethic really but I guess it's ok because in one of them you said you are a fan :D

Fair play for providing an alternative point of view anyway. It’s refreshing to know that not everyone dislikes POM the rugby player for the sake of it and some people, like yourself are able to put forward valid, reasonable and respectful opinions on it.

What aspect of play is he so far out ahead of any other irish forward?

I have never heard someone say he has pace, in fact it would be the opposite and why he struggles in a fast paced open game

how do you quantify he has good hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Leinster should have put Doris at 6 and Deegan at 8!
    Farrell has one eye down the horizon. I think his selection is about as good as we'd expect to look forward down the road!
    Tom 'O Toole is obviously one for the future, so he's right into the set up. Doris and Deegan too!
    The summer tour will include a couple more for the future, imo. So some stalwarts may not be included. I reckon Balacoune will make the summer tour if healthy. He's going at somebody else's expense!
    It's a jigsaw puzzle atm. Incremental additions and subtractions. The selection process will be very interesting to watch over the next 2 years. Farrell imo, has had a good start selection wise, imo. I disagree on some of the selections, but overall, the future is now.
    Of course we're going nowhere with the same tired old style. Will there be changes to our approach? I think there has to be. If we don't mix it up, we won't evolve
    I think Farrell is at least making a move in the right direction.

What aspect of play is he so far out ahead of any other irish forward?

I have never heard someone say he has pace, in fact it would be the opposite and why he struggles in a fast paced open game

how do you quantify he has good hands?

So you moved from saying I’m wrong and offering nothing, to offering nothing and asking me to explain what I said. Can you form any opinion of your own or do you just always rely on what other people say?

So you moved from saying I’m wrong and offering nothing, to offering nothing and asking me to explain what I said. Can you form any opinion of your own?

What are you talking about

You made the statements I am asking you to back them up

What are you talking about

You made the statements I am asking you to back them up

Don’t need to. I’m well aware of their accuracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Anything below third would be very poor.

i think England france and wales will be very tough games
    the scots up first i think have a great opportunity
    Ireland were poor in 6 nations and the summer and the world cup, that's all 2019.
    we have no form in green that suggests 2020 will be different but leinster are producing some very young brilliant talent, but they will take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,324 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Don’t need to. I’m well aware of their accuracy.
    The ultimate boards echo chamber response. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭VayNiice

Pogue eile wrote: »
    You can't count either I see, let me help you out there. You have posted 11 times in this thread and its predecessor and of those 11, 7 have been criticising POM. Patethic really but I guess it's ok because in one of them you said you are a fan :D

And I've posted too many times replying to a creep like you also. Next you'll be flying across the world and showing up outside my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

mickdoocey wrote: »
    i think England france and wales will be very tough games
    the scots up first i think have a great opportunity
    Ireland were poor in 6 nations and the summer and the world cup, that's all 2019.
    we have no form in green that suggests 2020 will be different but leinster are producing some very young brilliant talent, but they will take time.

As bad as our 2019 might have been Scotland's was actually worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mickdoocey

Bazzo wrote: »
    As bad as our 2019 might have been Scotland's was actually worse.

no ours was worse because more was expected
    lets see how the players react after the disappointment of the world cup
    bound to be a some fragility the players would have expected to win the world cup but instead had a very poor world cup

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

mickdoocey wrote: »
    no ours was worse because more was expected
    lets see how the players react after the disappointment of the world cup
    bound to be a some fragility the players would have expected to win the world cup but instead had a very poor world cup

Well, Scotland went to the RWC thinking they were the fittest team at the tournament, the eejits. So that was quite an expectation from their pov.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The ultimate boards echo chamber response. :D

As I said, some people have been hugely triggered by the inclusion of POM, and the exclusion of Ruddock and Due to provincial bias they are unable to detach them. POM deserves to be selected, and depending on the gameplan that is attempted he may start games or he may not.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

As I said, some people have been hugely triggered by the inclusion of POM, and the exclusion of Ruddock and Due to provincial bias they are unable to detach them. POM deserves to be selected, and depending on the gameplan that is attempted he may start games or he may not.

Based on what? Because it isn’t form.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Based on what? Because it isn’t form.

Based on his performance against Racing, based on his history. So one game and his ability, history and level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement