Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

nerd69 wrote: »
    Ya saw a video a whole back where they asked two of the the team.who was the slowest player and they both said Ross by a long shot. I think it's the only thing that would likely hold him back internationaly

Does he play on the wing now? I can't remember ROG having massive speed.....

It seems like people are coming up with requirements for R Byrne just to discount him.

Will he make the Irish team? I have no idea. Should he get a chance? I think so. If he does get a start then I don't expect to see him playing on the wing.....

Should we also check how he is in the scrum?

Mod - tired of this sarcastic abrasiveness from you, banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭clsmooth

I think in fairness speed is quite important for a modern day out half. I like Ross Byrne a lot, he’s a very good player and won’t let you down. Harry seems to have a little bit more cut about him which could set him apart. It’s a great place to be in. Frawley looks like a player who can kick on too. I wonder if they’ll be thinking of using him at 12 or 15 a bit more to get the most out of the resources? He could make a great playmaking 12. I remember him having a cracking game when he came on at 15 last year over the Christmas time (I think vs Connacht in the RDS?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Camp was at the performance centre in Blanchardstown, from what I've heard the 6 Nations camps will take place there as well with the players being transported from Carton House (hotel on the campus is planned but will be another few years).

Bit of an end of an era for Carton House, camps have been there since 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Like the look of the fixture list. I think we might be in with a shout at winning it this year. England have a great back row, but I think we might be a match for them elsewhere.
    Difference this year for good or bad will be Mike Catt and I've a feeling it'll be good.

I've a feeling we'll see CJ at 6 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Frawley looks class to me Leinster have so much talent in certain positions it's mad it's possibly holding some players back for instance I like to see the younger Byrne getting run of games too we need see these guys as we need a world class replacement for Sexton my money is now on Frawley ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

That's why I think we're going to see some lads leave Leinster. Obviously with Sexton getting older and RB as the back up, one of either H.B or Frawley may leave! It's not just at 10 either, there's a glut of centers. ROL and JOB are behind Ringrose, then there's Turner and Muliin coming through. COB and Tomane backing up Henshaw, with Hawkshaw coming up! There's not enough time in the season to keep them all happy! I suppose the length of Tomane's contract could play a part! Keenan looks set to be the back up fb. It's got to be frustrating for the coaching team to keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Dubinusa wrote: »
    That's why I think we're going to see some lads leave Leinster.

I'd say that's a given considering the population contrasts between the provinces. If you're 3rd choice, then it would probably make sense to move on. You have 2 starters before you and the schools pumping them out behind you.

Why be third choice when you could be a starter somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'd say that's a given considering the population contrasts between the provinces. If you're 3rd choice, then it would probably make sense to move on. You have 2 starters before you and the schools pumping them out behind you.

Why be third choice when you could be a starter somewhere else.
    not that youd be starter elsewhere but you might get more game time as second choice. And clubs in leinster are getting as many pro or more than elsewhere as well which is big factor in numbers looking to go pro elsewhere as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Best uncapped XXIII at the moment?

1. Jeremy Loughman
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. Alan O'Connor
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Billy Burns
    11. Barry Daly
    12. Dan Goggin
    13. Thomas Farrell
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Kevin O'Byrne
    17. Eric O'Sullivan
    18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Caolin Blade
    22. J.J. Hanrahan
    23. Jimmy O'Brien

(based on on a combination of recent performances and quality shown over the last two or three seasons)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Best uncapped XXIII at the moment?

1. Jeremy Loughman
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. Alan O'Connor
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Caelan Doris
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Billy Burns
    11. Barry Daly
    12. Dan Goggin
    13. Thomas Farrell
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. Kevin O'Byrne
    17. Eric O'Sullivan
    18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    19. Ross Molony
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Caolin Blade
    22. J.J. Hanrahan
    23. Jimmy O'Brien

(based on on a combination of recent performances and quality shown over the last two or three seasons)

Think Lowry is better than Keenan, but lots of good calls there.

• Advertisement

We've a nice bit of talent coming through - but James Lowe is an absolute game changers for Irish rugby if he qualifies and is selected. Absolutely no one else like him playing with the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

We've a nice bit of talent coming through - but James Lowe is an absolute game changers for Irish rugby if he qualifies and is selected. Absolutely no one else like him playing with the provinces.

He will have to cut out the stupid offloads that aren’t on. Won’t get away with them at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

stephen_n wrote: »
    He will have to cut out the stupid offloads that aren’t on. Won’t get away with them at international level.

It pretty clearly was on, just needed to make a better pass.

stephen_n wrote: »

Maybe under Joe but I think Farrell will be a big fan. Lowe is all action, it doesn't all come off but he's won a good few games for Leinster through individual brilliance. He's plenty physical and brings loads to the breakdown. Pops up constantly infield looking for work. He is the best back three player in Ireland by a margin in my opinion.

Recent interviews he seemed happy in Dublin and enthusiastic about it all but there is no way he isn't getting a lot of calls from Super Rugby clubs and the All Blacks setup. Whatever about Ireland, he's absolutely in the conversation as one of the best back three in Europe.

• Administrators Posts: 53,468 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lowe is decent but you must see something in him Venjur that I don't. I agree he looks great against Pro14 fodder but think maybe you're over-egging him a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    Lowe is decent but you must see something in him Venjur that I don't. I agree he looks great against Pro14 fodder but think maybe you're over-egging him a bit.

Hes had limited enough opportunities at HEC level due to the foreign player limit, but any time he has played hes been good. Hes consistently been good against the top P14 sides too. There is absolutely nothing at all controversial about saying he should be involved with Ireland as soon as he is eligible. He 100% should. Whether he fits with the international team and can step up remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Lowe has been a standout at European level too. Not having it that he's just been good against Pro 14 opposition. He's been the best back three in Ireland since coming over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

awec wrote: »

He's got a pretty different skillset to the back 3 players we tend to develop. Bulldozer in contact which is handy on the left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

He's very good and will be capped. His defense is fair to middling, but improving!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tryagain

Lowe is outstanding probably best attacking wing in NH his defence is a bit suspect though but my god he can cause defences problems he walks in to any team in 6 nations in my opinion .

• Advertisement

Luke Fitzgerald is going to lose his mind when Lowe replaces Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Luke Fitzgerald is going to lose his mind when Lowe replaces Earls

I wouldn't be so sure. His main gripe with Kleyn seemed to be that he was displacing Toner. If it's a Leinster player replacing Munster be interesting to see if he stays consistent. Don't think he will replace Earls overnight either tbf.

I'm sure Earls will join the others in Munster 92 :pac:

I'm sure Earls will join the others in Munster 92 :pac:

Don't see that happening.

I don't see anyone stopping Lowe making the Ireland team when he's IQ, he'll walk into the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Eod100 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure. His main gripe with Kleyn seemed to be that he was displacing Toner. If it's a Leinster player replacing Munster be interesting to see if he stays consistent. Don't think he will replace Earls overnight either tbf.

Earls and Fitz came through together, played underage for Ireland together at schools and U20 level. They go way back.

Fitz has always had a gripe with foreign born players representing Ireland. It's generally misguided and unfair but I don't see any evidence that it's based on provincial allegiances.

Kleyn replacing Toner was seen as a fairly bizarre call by the majority of supporters.

Buer wrote: »
    Earls and Fitz came through together, played underage for Ireland together at schools and U20 level. They go way back.

Fitz has always had a gripe with foreign born players representing Ireland. It's generally misguided and unfair but I don't see any evidence that it's based on provincial allegiances.

Kleyn replacing Toner was seen as a fairly bizarre call by the majority of supporters.

Guess time will tell if he will be as vocal. But outside RWC maybe he won't get as much attention either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I don't see anyone stopping Lowe making the Ireland team when he's IQ, he'll walk into the side.

We'll see. You might be right, but he has it all to prove at test level.

Does he want to play for Ireland?

bilston wrote: »
    We'll see. You might be right, but he has it all to prove at test level.

Does he want to play for Ireland?

Yeah he's talked about it alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Eod100 wrote: »

Kleyn getting the nod ahead of Toner was a farce. I'm neither Leinster nor Munster so have no dog in the fight from a provincial perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement