Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

The IRFU would be mad to stump up that kind of cash when it could go better places. Stadia in Athlone, Cork and other places would be my priority rather than forking out 29M for future renting rights

There is no guarantee the FAI will rent in future and as we have been looked after in the past by other Irish sporting bodies so we will be asked to cover the backs of the FAI.

Do we really want to drive a chasm between us and another sporting body in Ireland when those bodies have worked well for us in the past?

There's more to this than just a business decision and if the IRFU take a decision in that light i think it wold be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whats the craic with the division of other commercial ventures in the Aviva. I've been to conferences, concerts, training days etc in the Aviva. Is that revenue currently divided? Is that revenue significant, would sole ownership allow the IRFU to get more out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    FAI from playing at Dalymount etc...

There is absolutely no way Dalymount, or any other LoI stadium, would meet the requirements UEFA/FIFA have for hosting international football games. It's not possible for the FAI to use it, even if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

errlloyd wrote: »
    Whats the craic with the division of other commercial ventures in the Aviva. I've been to conferences, concerts, training days etc in the Aviva. Is that revenue currently divided? Is that revenue significant, would sole ownership allow the IRFU to get more out of it?

The stadium company takes that money along with things like naming rights, the company is basically 50/50 between the two bodies, what would actually happen is the irfu would be buying the other 50% of the company so would get all the profit instead of half.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

salmocab wrote: »
    The stadium company takes that money along with things like naming rights, the company is basically 50/50 between the two bodies, what would actually happen is the irfu would be buying the other 50% of the company so would get all the profit instead of half.

I guess I'd love to see a balance sheet and P&L for stadco or whatever it is called. I know I won't, but I think it'd be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I guess I'd love to see a balance sheet and P&L for stadco or whatever it is called. I know I won't, but I think it'd be interesting.

That’s it though, the irfu have better knowledge than anyone what half the company is worth and will by far be the best placed to make a decision on whether it’s worthwhile or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There is absolutely no way Dalymount, or any other LoI stadium, would meet the requirements UEFA/FIFA have for hosting international football games. It's not possible for the FAI to use it, even if they wanted to.

Tallaght stadium is the largest LOI stadium, and even then it's only undergoing renovations to bring the capacity up to 10k. But it falls under a Category 4 stadium for UEFA so technically could be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Tallaght stadium is the largest LOI stadium, and even then it's only undergoing renovations to bring the capacity up to 10k. But it falls under a Category 4 stadium for UEFA so technically could be used.

Yes actually forgot about Tallaght. It's a fifth the size of Lansdowne obviously so they'd be hammering themselves in terms of ticket revenue, probably no corporate facilities etc etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Balance sheet like all Ltd companies is available from the Cro.

No p&l but there was a loss of 3 million in 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Balance sheet like all Ltd companies is available from the Cro.

No p&l but there was a loss of 3 million in 2018.

Was it last year they sold the land in Newlands Cross?

• Advertisement

aloooof wrote: »
    Was it last year they sold the land in Newlands Cross?

That was an irfu sale (not new stadium whatever) but yeah.

That was an irfu sale (not new stadium whatever) but yeah.

Is that sale built into the 3 million loss? Surprising if it is.

Is that sale built into the 3 million loss? Surprising if it is.

No the loss is new stadium limited.

The 27 million from newlandscross is part of the irfu accounts which had a massive profit.

No the loss is new stadium limited.

The 27 million from newlandscross is part of the irfu accounts which had a massive profit.

Ah, that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Listening to the Joe podcast, Trimble thinks Dave Kearney has always been seriously underrated. Himself and Fla reckon he's back to his best.

I might have said a few weeks ago that based on his form he could be picked for Ireland in 6 nations. A few people lost the plot. Nothing has changed in my opinion. He played well v Italy in first match for Ireland.....

Played some great rugby during the WC and has kicked on.

He was always a quality player, the people who had a problem with him also had issues with R Kearney etc.....anyone that was playing instead of Zebo seem to be the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    anyone that was playing instead of Zebo seem to be the issue

Lol ..Seriously? He wasn't called Daverage for nothing

tototoe wrote: »
    Lol ..Seriously? He wasn't called Daverage for nothing

In the 2014 6 nations win he was the only player on the pitch for every minute

If you go back to 2014 and check out here....all the talk was about why he was playing versus .........

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It is funny how certain quarters reserved a fairly potent disdain for Toner, Heaslip and the Kearneys. And yet none of these men are from Dublin, and all play (or played) a fairly by-the-numbers game, no frills, no fancy stuff. Plenty of swashbuckling, frost-tipped D4 ledge baskets came and went, but none ever seemed to trigger to similar depths.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

Neil3030 wrote: »
    It is funny how certain quarters reserved a fairly potent disdain for Toner, Heaslip and the Kearneys. And yet none of these men are from Dublin, and all play (or played) a fairly by-the-numbers game, no frills, no fancy stuff. Plenty of swashbuckling, frost-tipped D4 ledge baskets came and went, but none ever seemed to trigger to similar depths.

Would you consider James Ryan to be one of those D4 ledge baskets? He has a bright future ahead of him.

I never miss that podcast, but I also don't take it seriously at all. The three lads are having the craic.

The quality has improved this year. Last year really with Baz and Trimble it was just two guys rambling with a bit of rugby thrown in.

Now with Fla they actually give some real insight. Especially Fla in terms of the coaching side. I skipped a few episodes last year but it is one of my favorites now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Thanks for giving us back our forwards coaches (Feek & Plumtree)...hopefully their time in green will bring handy inside knowledge. Thought the Irish pack was great that season when PT was involved, especially the maul.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Thanks for giving us back our forwards coaches (Feek & Plumtree)...hopefully their time in green will bring handy inside knowledge. Thought the Irish pack was great that season when PT was involved, especially the maul.

I think Joe would have kept Plumtree, I cant remember why he left, wasnt it family issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

In the 2014 6 nations win he was the only player on the pitch for every minute

And?

And?

the World was a great place

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would you consider James Ryan to be one of those D4 ledge baskets? He has a bright future ahead of him.

He gets through an enormous amount of unglamorous work, but can offload with the touch of a Sicilian pastry chef.... so it remains to be seen how the recreationally disgruntled take to him, long term. He doesn't seem to have ousted a beloved stalwart, so that may tilt things in his favour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The quality has improved this year. Last year really with Baz and Trimble it was just two guys rambling with a bit of rugby thrown in.

Now with Fla they actually give some real insight. Especially Fla in terms of the coaching side. I skipped a few episodes last year but it is one of my favorites now.

I stopped listening post WC Fla was giving out about the skills level of Irish player's, and it bugged me no one asked him as a former coach what he was doing about that when he was in Munster. Like what's the point of having that insight if it's not tapped into

I might have said a few weeks ago that based on his form he could be picked for Ireland in 6 nations. A few people lost the plot. Nothing has changed in my opinion. He played well v Italy in first match for Ireland.....

Played some great rugby during the WC and has kicked on.

He was always a quality player, the people who had a problem with him also had issues with R Kearney etc.....anyone that was playing instead of Zebo seem to be the issue

Dave has never let us down but I think he lacks the top end cutting edge that is needed of an international winger. For example, in the Italy game you mentioned where he did play well, he also dropped a ball when clean through for a try.

I think largely it'll come down to what type of game Farrell wants to play, but I also think there are 3-4 better options available imo.

Dave has never let us down but I think he lacks the top end cutting edge that is needed of an international winger. For example, in the Italy game you mentioned where he did play well, he also dropped a ball when clean through for a try.

I think largely it'll come down to what type of game Farrell wants to play, but I also think there are 3-4 better options available imo.

It was the first rugby of year, first preseason game. Not sure you can mark someone for dropping the ball. He done more good than bad that day

Don’t get me wrong I think Earls, Conway, Stockdale(if on wing) are ahead of him at the moment and probably always will be if in form

But he might be a good option on bench as he can cover a number of positions

My point a few weeks back was he deserved to be in the squad based on his form....I don’t think I said team but old age is catching up.....

It was the first rugby of year, first preseason game. Not sure you can mark someone for dropping the ball. He done more good than bad that day

Don’t get me wrong I think Earls, Conway, Stockdale(if on wing) are ahead of him at the moment and probably always will be if in form

But he might be a good option on bench as he can cover a number of positions

My point a few weeks back was he deserved to be in the squad based on his form....I don’t think I said team but old age is catching up.....

I think we largely agree, the 3 mentioned were the 3 I had in mind as ahead of him in the pecking order as well. Earls is getting on, but hasn't seemed to lose any pace. And James Lowe will come into the mix as well before long too. Add in that Dave is getting into the latter part of his career as well.

I don't see him getting many caps over the 6 Nations, but he hasn't let us down in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Stockdale has been playing well the last few weeks for Ulster, so I still think

Larmour-Conway-Stockdale

Is our starting back 3 using the appropriate mix of incumbency, experience, talent and form imo

Haley, Addison, D Kearney & Earls next in line.

Lowe will be a certain starter for the 2021 6N

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement