Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Baloucoune has barely featured this season though?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Was that not injury related?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah - he played, I think, most of our European games last season. I'd have him and Stockdale on our wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He has been injured

bilston wrote: »
    He has been injured

I know, but if he hasnt been playing, how can he have impressed people.

No offence to Connacht but they were brutal the other night and looking good against them isn't worth much.

I know he's only a young guy but his defence was seriously suspect last year, I really hope he's improved. Hopefully he gets a run in Clermont.

• Advertisement

No offence to Connacht but they were brutal the other night and looking good against them isn't worth much.

I know he's only a young guy but his defence was seriously suspect last year, I really hope he's improved. Hopefully he gets a run in Clermont.

His defence was seriously suspect? Eh, what?

Does Former Former know who Baloucoune is? Scored the winning try in our away game in Leicester in Europe, scored at home when we beat Racing, and played away in the RDS in a Euro quarter final, in his first season?

He has sixteen appearances - enough to have leapfrogged every winger bar Stockdale. He is actually known for having great defence for a lad who turned 22 at the start of this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭bilston

His defence was suspect? You must be talking about someone else.

Does Former Former know who Baloucoune is?

Do you have to be like this all the time?

Do you have to be like this all the time?

So you're saying you don't know who Baloucoune is?

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    His defence was suspect? You must be talking about someone else.

Look, I don't see as much of him as the Ulster fans so I'll bow to your superior knowledge. Maybe I'm basing too much on a couple of dodgy reads.

But when push comes to shove, he's not the first choice. Edit: yet

Ah, come on. I'm not like anything all the time. I'm just calling you out because he's literally known for having defensive nous beyond his years. I'm sure if I posted "POM - wish he'd offer something at the lineout", I'd get a similarly short shrift. It's fine if you don't know who young Ulster wingers are. It's okay for you not to really have an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Baloucoune's defence has really been top notch for us, a couple of misreads but nowhere near enough to call it a problem or even a regular occurrence. Stockdale's been an open door in defence for a year now, but his international career pushes forward, and Larmour was very prone to bad defensive reads when he was called up - he's shored that up nicely though. Being first choice doesn't necessarily mean either much as I remember a lot of Stockdale's appearances coming from the bench before he was called up. Not trying to draw a comparison talent wise, but there you go. Will Connors isn't first choice for Leinster either and must only have about 5 caps against weakened pro 14 sides - has he even played in Europe yet? Doens't really matter imo, as everyone's circumstances are slightly different, and coaches might value different skillsets.

Ah, come on. I'm not like anything all the time. I'm just calling you out because he's literally known for having defensive nous beyond his years. I'm sure if I posted "POM - wish he'd offer something at the lineout", I'd get a similarly short shrift. It's fine if you don't know who young Ulster wingers are. It's okay for you not to really have an opinion.

I do know who he is.

It's also ok for you not to be so obnoxious.

Baloucoune's defence has really been top notch for us, a couple of misreads but nowhere near enough to call it a problem or even a regular occurrence. Stockdale's been an open door in defence for a year now, but his international career pushes forward, and Larmour was very prone to bad defensive reads when he was called up - he's shored that up nicely though. Being first choice doesn't necessarily mean either much as I remember a lot of Stockdale's appearances coming from the bench before he was called up. Not trying to draw a comparison talent wise, but there you go. Will Connors isn't first choice for Leinster either and must only have about 5 caps against weakened pro 14 sides - has he even played in Europe yet? Doens't really matter imo, as everyone's circumstances are slightly different, and coaches might value different skillsets.

True, but Connors would really want to get his tackle numbers up.

I do know who he is.

Don't think I've been obnoxious, just gently mocked what I consider a crazily ill-informed opinion.

Christ the night.

tenor.gif?itemid=5412137

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Baloucoune's defence has been outstanding from the word go. On his debut last year he made a really good read and came up and pushed somebody into touch. Even when he slipped off a tackle on Porch at the weekend he'd made an excellent read and would have caught the Connacht guy behind the gainline if he'd stuck the tackle. He's one of the best defenders I've seen on the right wing. Love watching the guy do his thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,042 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I do know who he is.

Any further thoughts on his defence?

• Advertisement

Any further thoughts on his defence?

Just that he's a typical young winger who maybe gets more excited and shoots up more often than he should. He's a big unit so I'm sure he can put in a hit. Question is whether he can gel it together or he becomes another Adam Byrne.

Maybe I'm being harsh. The Ulster lads seem to think he's the messiah and they should know, they've followed a few...

Just that he's a typical young winger who maybe gets more excited and shoots up more often than he should. He's a big unit so I'm sure he can put in a hit. Question is whether he can gel it together or he becomes another Adam Byrne.

Maybe I'm being harsh. The Ulster lads seem to think he's the messiah and they should know, they've followed a few...

Someone's in better form this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 224 ✭✭Stout Warrior

True, but Connors would really want to get his tackle numbers up.

Let me guess you're an Ulster supporter?

Let me guess you're an Ulster supporter?

That's. The. Joke.

The real test for Baloucoune and what will decide whether he gains international honors in the next few years is whether or not he is approached by Toulouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I haven't seen much of Balacoune. But what I have seen I have been impressed. The comparisons I would make would not be A.B Balacoune is stronger defensively than A.B was at this point of his career.
    Balacoune has size, speed and looks like he could be good defensively. He has really come from nowhere! It will be interesting to watch him as he progresses.
    As far as becoming an international? Its early days yet. He could very well come into the reckoning, if he is a solid all rounder. He is quite a prospect and he is likely a mainstay for Ulster going forward. I think he's a better prospect than Lyttle, who is dynamic and very good, but is injury prone. Balacoune has great size and that could work in his favor. Either way, another gem in the backs for Ulstet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Dave Kearney in the 42 saying RK could add to his international caps! That would be the wrong direction imo. He's nowhere near the standard and he's behind Haley. Larmour and Addison at this point. I think Keenan may very well be preferred at Leinster, before too long.

Dave Kearney in defending brother shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Dave Kearney in the 42 saying RK could add to his international caps! That would be the wrong direction imo. He's nowhere near the standard and he's behind Haley. Larmour and Addison at this point. I think Keenan may very well be preferred at Leinster, before too long.
    A nothing story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭jacothelad

This is utter nonsense. His superb defence last season was remarkable for a novice player.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement