Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy touches girls arm, faces 10 years for sexual assault

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Based on the article I can see potential for charging him with harassment, but sexual assault, nope, you'd need the IQ of a lemon to think that.

The bit that is worrying it seemed to be based on could have, might have, would have etc.

'would have touched her breast had she not moved away'

--

Nowhere did it say that Griffiths even attempted to touch her breast. So this was purely from the subjective nature of the plantiff. There was no basis of it in fact.

--

The isolated areas were used to infer motive of the defendant by the prosecution.
    The prosecution solely looked at it through the eyes of a normally socially developed individual -

‘An attempt to make a friendship with anyone surely starts with a hello or a wave.’

--
    The defendant is a fella who probably looked up the likes of this:

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2011/07/06/why-is-a-touch-on-the-arm-so-persuasive/

The whole thing stinks to me, the fella did not stand a chance they had thier mind made up already.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

You seem happy to conclude that he is a "predator" based on the article, there is just as much to suggest he is autistic as a predator. But that doesn't suit your agenda. You are insecure that you've never been able to attract women you truly desire, you know you don't even have the confidence to approach women. So when a clueless idiot plucks up the courage to approach a woman it makes your blood boil. It highlights your own inadequacies with the opposite sex.

I absolutely disagree with Boggle’s stance on this but that’s a bit of a reach in fairness.

More details of it here

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/touching-teenage-girl-way-home-17061816

The plaintiff:

'It was quite a while - three to five seconds. He smirked at me, he didn’t stop he just touched me and walked off and I broke down crying in the street - it was quite traumatic'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,180 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

More details of it here

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/touching-teenage-girl-way-home-17061816

The plaintiff:

'It was quite a while - three to five seconds. He smirked at me, he didn’t stop he just touched me and walked off and I broke down crying in the street - it was quite traumatic'

we had that link already. there is nothing there that makes him less guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,643 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Again, you are assuming the fella has a normal thought process.

There was nothing offered to suggest otherwise.

Shyness does not mean he does not know right from wrong.

In fact the traits he displayed was the exact opposite to shyness IMO,

His defense was not based on a mental disability or diminished responsibility.

You are merely inventing defenses for him, i.e. he is autistic. If he was it would have been offered as a defense.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    There was nothing offered to suggest otherwise.

Shyness does not mean he does not know right from wrong.

In fact the traits he displayed was the exact opposite to shyness IMO,

His defense was not based on a mental disability or diminished responsibility.

You are merely inventing defenses for him, i.e. he is autistic. If he was it would have been offered as a defense.

It is clear that he did not believe what he was doing was in any way wrong.
    The plaintiff called it a smirk he called it a smile.
    The plaintiff also said he touched her arm for 4/5 seconds!

Also you claim I am inventing a defence for him, while at the same time state without fact "the traits he displayed was the exact opposite to shyness" :D

It is clear if anything, that the prosecution embellished the case against him - highlighted the isolated area, would have touched breast etc. To make it seem far more sinister then what it was.

If anything I would applaud the young lad for attempting to be sociable and trying to get over his social anxiety. And I hope he learns from this incident and it does not negatively affect him in the future.

Also how are you so sure autism would have been offered as defence, he may be on the mild end of the spectrum and it was never diagnosed.

The plaintiff called it a smirk he called it a smile.
    The plaintiff also said he touched her arm for 4/5 seconds!

It was her side he touched for that period of time.
    Also you claim I am inventing a defence for him, while at the same time state without fact "the traits he displayed was the exact opposite to shyness" :D

is approaching strangers in the street a sign of shyness?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just to add another perspective to the law itself, Paul Gascoigne has been on trial for sexual assault.

He drunkenly kissed a woman, a stranger, on a train. His defense was that she had just been insulted over her weight by another passenger, and he suddenly kissed her to cheer her up and 'boost her confidence', and therefore there was no sexual motivation for it.

As of today, he was found not guilty of sexual assault, but the jury are still considering the other charge of common assault, also known as "assault by beating", which is committed if somebody "intentionally applies unlawful force to another who does not consent to it."

Interesting to see that verdict in comparison to this one. The judge here clearly felt there was absolutely no other motivation possible for the touching apart from a sexual one, otherwise they could have considered the other charge also.

It was her side he touched for that period of time.

is approaching strangers in the street a sign of shyness?

He was attempting to overcome it - 'googling how to make a friend' etc
    Going that far was a feat for him.

So much so he skipped step

1) Talking - introduction

2) The joke

But no words came out.

--
    I am curious what the joke would have been if I am honest!

osarusan wrote: »
    Just to add another perspective to the law itself, Paul Gascoigne has been on trial for sexual assault.

He drunkenly kissed a woman, a stranger, on a train. His defense was that she had just been insulted over her weight by another passenger, and he suddenly kissed her to cheer her up and 'boost her confidence', and therefore there was no sexual motivation for it.

As of today, he was found not guilty of sexual assault, but the jury are still considering the other charge of common assault, also known as "assault by beating", which is committed if somebody "intentionally applies unlawful force to another who does not consent to it."

Interesting to see that verdict in comparison to this one. The judge here clearly felt there was absolutely no other motivation possible for the touching apart from a sexual one, otherwise they could have considered the other charge also.

That's interesting Gazza was found not guilty of 'sexual assault' for an unsolicited kiss on the lips of a woman. Whereas in the case at issue Jamie Griffiths gets charged with 'sexual assault' for touching a 17 year olds girls arm when he was near the same age as the girl.

• Advertisement

He or his defense didn't even claim that. :confused:

No that isn't clear at all and text message evidence would highly suggest he knew exactly what he was doing was wrong, also his own testimony would suggest he knew he was doing wrong.

Again if he thought waiting in isolated areas, touching young girls and making off at speed was entirely normal behavior then it would never have got to trial, because he clearly would not have known the difference between right and wrong, so the law states you cannot criminalize someone if that is the case.

I'm echoing the prosecution and magistrate, you are inventing a defense his defense didn't even put forward.

You do see the difference right?

He was attempting to overcome it - 'googling how to make a friend' etc
    Going that far was a feat for him.

So much so he skipped step 1) talking step 2) his joke

But no words came out.

That was the defence he offered alright.

I think it's safe to conclude the judge thought it was a load of rubbish. Or, at least, it did not plant seeds of reasonable doubt in her mind.

That was the defence he offered alright.

I think it's safe to conclude the judge thought it was a load of rubbish. Or, at lease, it did not plant seeds of reasonable doubt in her mind.

I think he will win the appeal if he decides to go ahead with it.

No other motivation was offered as a defence.

He did offer a defence though - that it was simply a naive and misguided attempt to initiate a friendship.

He did offer a defence though - that it was simply a naive and misguided attempt to initiate a friendship.

he got his methods from a PUA site. It is not unreasonable to presume that there was something sexual involved.

I'm echoing the prosecution and magistrate, you are inventing a defense his defense didn't even put forward.

You do see the difference right?

You are echoing statements that infer or are claims of what could have happened.
    That seems to be the main tenant of thier case which they used as the main reason to convict.
    The autism defence cannot not be given if it was neither tired nor given.
    Perhaps this is for the defendants personal reasons or the incompetence of his defence team.

But the fact is all the defendant did was lightly touch the plaintiff in an odd manner.

Again if he thought waiting in isolated areas, touching young girls and making off at speed was entirely normal behavior then it would never have got to trial, because he clearly would not have known the difference between right and wrong, so the law states you cannot criminalize someone if that is the case.

I realise that, but he is not of unsound mind - autism do not mean that a person is of unsound mind. It exhibits traits of social awkwardness - small talk is extremely difficult and so on.
    So it could still go to trial because he was not of 'unsound mind' but the magistrates showed little understanding of the type of individual they were dealing with.

Were there any previous convictions - no
    Does he seem a danger to society - no
    Does he seem to have violent tendencies - no
    Was he socially awkward - yes

He thought he was being friendly.
    Plus there is the added fact that the girl was in a state of anxiety over her exam anyway, which made her hypersensitive.

Another person would just say 'go away you weirdo' and carry on.
    I would say it was more the distress caused to the girl and her overly dramatic testimony, that made them find the defendant guilty.

he got his methods from a PUA site. It is not unreasonable to presume that there was something sexual involved.

Where did it say that?

You need to re-read the article I think.

You are echoing statements that infer or are claims of what could have happened.
    That seems to be the main tenant of thier case which they used as the main reason to convict.
    The autism defence cannot not be given if it was neither tired nor given.
    Perhaps this is for the defendants personal reasons or the incompetence of his defence team.

But the fact is all the defendant did was lightly touch the plaintiff in an odd manner.

I realise that, but he is not of unsound mind - autism do not mean that a person is of unsound mind. It exhibits traits of social awkwardness - small talk is extremely difficult and so on.
    So it could still go to trial because he was not of 'unsound mind' but the magistrates showed little understanding of the type of individual they were dealing with.

He thought he was being friendly.
    Plus there is the added fact that the girl was in a state of anxiety over her exam anyway, which made her hypersensitive.

I would say it was more the distress caused to the girl and her overly dramatic testimony, that made them find the defendant guilty.

she did tell him to go away the first time he did it.

• Advertisement

she did tell him to go away the first time he did it.

Fair point.
    But a fella like yer man would see her talking to him as progress - that is step one done etc
    I mean look at the head on him.

So he would have preferred a sexual assault conviction then people knowing he was on the spectrum? :confused:

The further you go from the facts of the case and come up with theories for a defense his own defense didn't entertain the more ludicrous they sound.

How do you know?

Absolutely he is, particularly to young girls in isolated areas, he only stopped when Police starting going door to door looking for him.

He was also convicted of criminal damage.

Absolutely no evidence of this apart from his own defense.

He had friends, a job and he since gone to college.

She shouted stop the first time. She only reported when she heard of other incidents.

Out of interest how many times do you think this 17 year old girl should have allowed herself be touched until she reported it?

5 or 6?

Wait until it the assault became more serious?

So he would have preferred a sexual assault conviction then people knowing he was on the spectrum? :confused:

The further you go from the facts of the case and come up with theories for a defense his own defense didn't entertain the more ludicrous they sound.

Stigma with mental health etc

How do you know?

They would have any stated any previous convictions in at least a sub heading, in a sensationalist article.

He was also convicted of criminal damage.

I have no problem with this one.

Absolutely no evidence of this apart from his own defense.

He had friends, a job and he since gone to college.

I believe there was evidence he looked up 'how to make a friend' on his computer.

She shouted stop the first time. She only reported when she heard of other incidents.

Out of interest how many times do you think this 17 year old girl should have allowed herself be touched until she reported it?

5 or 6?

Wait until it the assault became more serious?

How many other girls, and other incidences were there?

They would have any stated any previous convictions in at least a sub heading, in a sensationalist article.

I have no problem with this one.

I believe there was evidence he looked up how to make a friend on his computer

how many does there have to be? Can you answer how many times she should let him touch her before she reports it? How many times does she have to say no to him? is once not enough?

how many does there have to be? Can you answer how many times she should let him touch her before she reports it? How many times does she have to say no to him? is once not enough?

I have no problem with her reporting it (it happened twice) what I have a problem with is what the defendant was charged with.
    To me it would fall under s10.2 of the Non Fatal Offences against the person act 1997 in Ireland.
    As it could be classed as assault or harassment.
    Do the British have an equivalent statute?

Unlike the magistrates and the prosecution I see no evidence that it was sexual in nature. It was just misguided societal awkwardness.
    They themselves struggled to find justification for the 'sexual' aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All we know about her is she complained to police. We know he works in a charity shop and is socially akward and was just trying to make a friend. I think the journo might be a little biased.
    Griffiths, who had been volunteering at a Barnado's charity shop, told the hearing: 'My intention was to make a friend. All my friends had left so I was lonely I just wanted to speak to someone.

Sounds like he's made friends before. Did he approach them in a secluded area and touch them to get to know them I wonder?

More Stigmatic than 2 sexual assault convictions? Really? :confused:

No they wouldn't, it's a court report from the case.

When he is has been sentenced his previous convictions if any will be considered before punishment.
    I believe there was evidence he looked up 'how to make a friend' on his computer.

Link?

Not clear how many, but multiple.

One apparently was touched on the "butt".
    I have no problem with her reporting it

Hang on a sec, you just said she should have dealt with it herself.

Where does she say she was in a state of anxiety over her mocks that caused her to be hypersensitive? :confused:

The anxiety came after the second incident, it was cause by the second incident combined with the first, not exam jitters FFS.

Could you point what part of her testimony was over dramatic?

She retold the facts of the case with clarity and told the court how the incident effected her.

You have achieved the hat trick fair play to.

1. Minimize the crime or the effect or the crime on the victim.

2. Try exonerate the perpetrator.

3. Blame the victim.

More Stigmatic than 2 sexual assault convictions? Really? :confused:

I didn't say it was more or less. Some like to keep those things quiet and not be labelled. Which is thier prerogative.
    No they wouldn't, it's a court report from the case.

When he is has been sentenced his previous convictions if any will be considered before punishment.

Yes and the papers would have mentioned it you can be damn sure of that.
    xyz teenager with xyz previous convictions.

Look at the Gazza case

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/oct/17/paul-gascoigne-cleared-of-sexually-assaulting-woman-on-train

"The prosecution tried unsuccessfully to have Gascoigne’s past crimes read to the jury, arguing his convictions for offences including battery, criminal damage, drink-driving and religiously aggravated harassment "

Not clear how many, but multiple.

One apparently was touched on the "butt"

Link?

Hang on a sec, you just said she should have dealt with it herself.

You are twisting my words. I said another person would have just carried on and left it at that. But this does not remove her prerogative from reporting a crime if she feels it is worth reporting that is her prerogative.

Where does she say she was in a state of anxiety over her mocks that caused her to be hypersensitive? :confused:

The anxiety came after the second incident, it was cause by the second incident combined with the first, not exam jitters FFS.
    Could you point what part of her testimony was over dramatic?

She retold the facts of the case with clarity and told the court how the incident effected her.

Read the Manchester article again. She was going to a timed exam.
    Plus her reaction was a bit over the top.
    It had a touch of the local drama society about it when you read it.
    "Would have touched my breast... a whole 4/5 seconds... it was over so fast..." etc

She then claimed it prevented her from going out because he was traumatised and it affected her exams etc etc etc
    You have achieved the hat trick fair play to.

1. Minimize the crime or the effect or the crime on the victim.

2. Try exonerate the perpetrator.

3. Blame the victim.

Now you are veering into the 'amateur dramatic' 'hyperbolic boards faux outrage' here.

1 I do not view the crime as sexual assault - harassment/minor assault at most

2. I did not exonerate the perpetrator. I already stated I would have no problem with him being charged with one of the above offences (harassment/minor assault at most) - but not sexual assault

3 I did not blame the victim.
    I did not place fault on the victim in calling the police as it was her prerogative, merely her level of reaction to the events subsequently, and in her retelling of the events.
    I just felt that she was hypersensitive and a bit dramatic which added to her level of trauma.
    That still does not stop her from reporting a crime against her, if she sees fit.
    It is not her fault she is hypersensitive and it affects her more than most.

She has a flair for the dramatic no more than yourself! :D

Now you are veering into the 'amateur dramatic' 'hyperbolic boards faux outrage' here.

I don't do faux outrage.

A. The facts of the case are, this creepy díckhead landed himself in court because he stalked and touched multiple young women in isolated areas, it is his fault and his fault alone.

B. You came to the conclusion that he is the actual victim, Autistic Young man convicted because of a young girls hyper sensitivity and over dramatics.

All the evidence points to A. None for B.

You have some neck to accuse me of being hyperbolic.

If you are going to blame the young girl for this cretins behavior, have the balls to come out and own it.

Be a man, he wasn't.

• Advertisement

I don't do faux outrage.

A. The facts of the case are, this creepy díckhead landed himself in court because he stalked and touched multiple young women in isolated areas, it is his fault and his fault alone.

Where are the mentions of him stalking and touching multiple women in the OP's article?

Advertisement